PDA

View Full Version : If overdribbling ISO ball is giving the Heat fits

midnightpulp
05-30-2012, 08:40 PM
just imagine the havoc the Spurs will wreak on the Heat?

I like the Heat and think Lebron is an other-world talent, but the Heat are too one dimensional on offense and not good enough on defense to beat the Spurs 4 out of 7 (or the Thunder). Bosh or no Bosh. Only an epic choke job from the Spurs (which is possible) or Bron and Wade combining for 80 each game will get them the O'Brien.

Probably Spo's last year as the Heat coach. They severely need a dependable offensive system.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Actually the way they hit passing lanes looks a little like what the Thunder have done in their most successful stretches in the first two games. I think they can do that for a lot longer than OKC has but I'd still pick the Spurs in a seven game series in part because I think Parker can play a whole series the way that Rondo played the first half of Boston/Miami Game 2.

LkrFan
05-30-2012, 09:02 PM
just imagine the havoc the Spurs will wreak on the Heat?

I like the Heat and think Lebron is an other-world talent, but the Heat are too one dimensional on offense and not good enough on defense to beat the Spurs 4 out of 7 (or the Thunder). Bosh or no Bosh. Only an epic choke job from the Spurs (which is possible) or Bron and Wade combining for 80 each game will get them the O'Brien.

Probably Spo's last year as the Heat coach. They severely need a dependable offensive system.

Agree and disagree. Agree with this being the Spurs' rang to lose (so don't fuck it up). Disagree a little bit with Spo. Sure he doesn't have a good track record as this great coach, but what is he supposed to do? In order for LeBron to be LeBron, they have to play Cav ball. You know, the same offense the Cavs ran. LeBron is a great talent but he has to have the ball in his hands to be effective. Teams like this don't win. From the top of my head that goes for teams like the Suns or any team CP3 is on tbh. These team rely too much on their PGs and are easy to game plan for.

The Hype don't have the depth to deal with the Spurs outside of their big 3. As a neutral fan of these 2012 Finals, I would be really disappointed in the Spurs if they don't sweep Miami. Especially without Bosh being 100%.

DPG21920
05-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Mia will give the Spurs trouble (assuming they meet). Teams with guard-centric teams struggle vs the Heat bc in the 4th they can throw Wade/Bron onto the backcourt and really lock teams up.

In hindsight, that's a big reason Dallas was successful v MIA in the finals-their offense wasn't guard oriented, it was Dirk which limits that tactics effectiveness.

DPG21920
05-30-2012, 09:12 PM

Kidd K
05-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Mia will give the Spurs trouble (assuming they meet). Teams with guard-centric teams struggle vs the Heat bc in the 4th they can throw Wade/Bron onto the backcourt and really lock teams up.

In hindsight, that's a big reason Dallas was successful v MIA in the finals-their offense wasn't guard oriented, it was Dirk which limits that tactics effectiveness.

Here's the problem with that.

Wade and LeBron play decent iso defense. The Spurs rarely play iso ball. Therefore you negate overrated isolation defense. When you have 5 scorer, 2 guys aren't going to be able to deal with them.

LeBron and Wade also can't guard Duncan in the post. You're forgetting Duncan's been trashing teams this year, especially in the playoffs. He destroyed Jefferson in the first round and beat the brakes off of Blake Griffin in the 2nd. Now in the WCF, neither Thunder big can score on Timmy, and Duncan's breaking the rim off dunking in Ibaka's mouth.

Dirk's worst series was the Finals btw, he didn't dominate them. He dominated every series before the Finals, and was pretty average vs Miami.

Right now the Thunder are a better team than the Heat. . .and SA is up 2-0. Heat aren't giving them any extra trouble. Spurs in 4 if Bosh comes back looking limp. Spurs in 5 if he comes back looking okay. 6 if he comes back 100%. Won't go 7.

tesseractive
05-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Wade and LeBron play decent iso defense.

Weren't they the best team in the league in pick and roll defense? They were definitely one of the best.

That kind of blows your argument all to hell.

Kidd K
05-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Weren't they the best team in the league in pick and roll defense? They were definitely one of the best.

That kind of blows your argument all to hell.

I don't really care what their team defensive stats are when it's inflated by so many garbage eastern conference teams' terrible offenses.

The top defensive teams are always in the east, doesn't mean they're the best defensive teams. Which is why the Mavs beat the shit out of them in the finals last year including multiple high scoring games despite Miami being what #2 or #3 in defense? Look at their stats vs western conference teams, or top 10 teams. Nowhere near their average.

Kind of supports my argument a lot.

midnightpulp
05-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Here's the problem with that.

Wade and LeBron play decent iso defense. The Spurs rarely play iso ball. Therefore you negate overrated isolation defense. When you have 5 scorer, 2 guys aren't going to be able to deal with them.

LeBron and Wade also can't guard Duncan in the post. You're forgetting Duncan's been trashing teams this year, especially in the playoffs. He destroyed Jefferson in the first round and beat the brakes off of Blake Griffin in the 2nd. Now in the WCF, neither Thunder big can score on Timmy, and Duncan's breaking the rim off dunking in Ibaka's mouth.

Dirk's worst series was the Finals btw, he didn't dominate them. He dominated every series before the Finals, and was pretty average vs Miami.

Right now the Thunder are a better team than the Heat. . .and SA is up 2-0. Heat aren't giving them any extra trouble. Spurs in 4 if Bosh comes back looking limp. Spurs in 5 if he comes back looking okay. 6 if he comes back 100%. Won't go 7.

Just about to post something like this. The way the Spurs run their offense with minimal dribbling and isolation, their wing players are pretty much immune to being shutdown by the league's best perimeter defenders. Scott Brooks knows this, which is why he's playing Fisher over Thabo in this series.

Miami's only hope to win the series is a Spurs' chokejob (which is possible. Although Parker is playing great, he's not above folding under the pressure, as we've seen quite a few times. Not to mention the chance our role-players crack, ala Turkoglu and Horry in the '04 semis) or Wade, James, and Bosh (if he should return) combining for 80-90 points every game.