PDA

View Full Version : From Stuxnet to Flame

Nbadan
05-31-2012, 12:46 AM
First Duqu, then stuxnet, now flame....

Security experts have only begun examining the thousands of lines of code that make up Flame, an extensive, data-mining computer virus that has been designed to steal information from computers across the Middle East, but already digital clues point to its creators and capabilities.

Researchers at Kaspersky Lab, which first reported the virus Monday, believe Flame was written by a different group of programmers from those who had created other malware directed at computers in the Middle East, particularly those in Iran. But Flame appears to be part of the state-sponsored campaign that spied on and eventually set back Iran’s nuclear program in 2010, when a digital attack destroyed roughly a fifth of Iran’s nuclear centrifuges.

“We believe Flame was written by a different team of programmers but commissioned by the same larger entity,” Roel Schouwenberg, a security researcher at Kaspersky Labs, said in an interview Wednesday. But he would not say which governments he was speaking of.

Flame, these researchers say, shares several notable features with two other major programs that targeted Iran in recent years. The first virus, Duqu, was a reconnaissance tool that researchers say was used to copy blueprints of Iran’s nuclear program. The second, Stuxnet, was designed to attack industrial control systems and specifically calibrated to spin Iranian centrifuges out of control.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/technology/researchers-link-flame-virus-to-stuxnet-and-duqu.html

Gee....I wonder which government would want to set back Iran's nuclear program by sabotaging its centrifuges and also want to spy on other middle east countries....ummm......these programs leave tell tail signatures which aren't hard to trace...so why isn't anything being done about this?

Nbadan
06-09-2012, 03:27 AM
Finder of Flame Virus Tells Israel to Stop Before It’s Too Late

Eugene Kaspersky, the Russian cybersleuth who last week revealed the most sophisticated virus yet targeting Iran, was greeted as a hero at the Tel Aviv University conference on digital security on Wednesday. He didn’t pretend not to know why, any more than the Israeli audience that played along with the coy remarks its officials have made about the country’s role in the digital espionage bedeviling the Iranian program.

“Maybe there are some people here who are not happy with work I was doing with Stuxnet and Flame,” he told an audience of more than 1,000 at the university’s annual International Conference on Cyber Security. (Stuxnet was the previous virus that hit Iran, targeting its nuclear program; Flame hit the petroleum industry.) Then the keynote speaker, clad in jeans and an untucked linen shirt, leaned forward and said in a stage whisper, “I’m really sorry.” Waves of laughter and applause followed. “It’s not personal,” Kaspersky went on, drawing out the laughter, which had a quality of mutual congratulation. “It’s my job … So next time, be more careful.”

But when the room quieted down, the guru got serious. Cyberweapons, Kaspersky advised, “are a very, very bad idea.” Whatever advanced knowledge allowed engineers to fashion the malicious software targeted at Iran’s nuclear program will, in short order, become known to other nations, he said, and next time could well be directed back at the originators — the very worry that President Obama reportedly voiced in approving the digital espionage in a joint program with Israel. “I’m afraid that in the future there will be other countries in this game,” Kaspersky said. “It’s only software. Maybe hacktivists will become cyberterrorists. And maybe the traditional terrorists will be in touch with the cyberterrorists.”

Read more: http://world.time.com/2012/06/06/finder-of-flame-virus-warns-israel-to-stop-before-its-too-late/#ixzz1xC7NLlCr

hmmm...

Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html?_r=2&smid=fb-share

Cyberterrorism is a big, big, mistake...

spursncowboys
06-09-2012, 07:03 PM
It could of been china, israel, germany, etc. i hope it was obama. Anyway to fix the problems with enemies without boots on the ground, I'm happy with.

mavs>spurs
06-09-2012, 08:03 PM
lol why would china or germany do it?

spursncowboys
06-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Do you really think anyone with a nuke wants Iran to have it?

mavs>spurs
06-09-2012, 09:22 PM
i don't think china really cares or else they would be more cooperative about doing something about it. instead, they are iran's ally.

Nbadan
06-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Flame Malware Code Traced To Stuxnet
Source: Information Week
By Mathew J. Schwartz InformationWeek
June 11, 2012 11:45 AM

Did the U.S. government commission the recently discovered Flame malware? According to new research, the developers of the Stuxnet and Flame malware families crossed paths--swapping source code at least once--which suggests that the U.S. government didn't just commission Stuxnet, but Flame as well.

"In 2009, part of the code from the Flame platform was used in Stuxnet," said Alex Gostev, the chief malware researcher at Kaspersky Lab, Monday in a blog post. "We believe that source code was used, rather than complete binary modules," he said, which suggests some degree of collaboration or crossover.

But based on Kaspersky's ongoing teardowns of the Flame malware discovered in late May, he believes that "since 2010, the platforms have been developing independently from each other, although there has been interaction at least at the level of exploiting the same vulnerabilities."

According to published news reports, senior White House officials have said that the the United States led Stuxnet development, working with Israel. Hence if Stuxnet and Flame are related, it suggests that the United States is also behind the complex Flame malware.

Read more: http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/attacks/240001841

ElNono
06-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Do you really think anyone with a nuke wants Iran to have it?

Why would anyone not named Israel care?