PDA

View Full Version : Has any team ever won a championship going on a 10 man rotation?

Stranger_1990
05-31-2012, 01:14 AM
I remember the bad boy Pistons in '89 went 9 deep. Can't think of any team that ever went 10 deep and won a championship.

z0sa
05-31-2012, 01:22 AM
I can't answer that but I'd like to point out that IMHO the Spurs are really 11 deep when you factor in Blair tbh. He might not actually be part of the rotation but he is definitely a rotation capable player. The 2012 Spurs are definitely one of the deepest teams in League history.

PÒÓCH
05-31-2012, 01:41 AM
No but everyone in the league seems to be trying to do it with only a "big three".

racm
05-31-2012, 01:47 AM
No but everyone in the league seems to be trying to do it with only a "big three".

But the only big three with multiple championships and all taken through the draft is... wink wink

Man In Black
05-31-2012, 01:58 AM
Bill Walton
Maurice Lucas
Bob Gross
Lionel Hollins
Dave Twardzik
Bench
Larry Steele
Johnny Davis
Robin Jones
Herm Gilliam
Lloyd Neal

For reg season add Robin Jones and Wally Walker.

Interesting Tidbit about that Championship Blazer Team

The 1976-77 Trailblazers also went through somewhat of a re-tooling. Head Coach Lenny Wilkens left the Blazers sideline after only a two-year stint and was replaced by Jack Ramsey formerly of the Buffalo Braves (who would later become the Los Angeles Clippers). Ramsay installed a system that centered on having a well-balanced team that would excel at rebounding and running the fast break.

Coach Ramsey had success at every level he coached. Six out of the past eight years in the NBA he had guided his team into the playoffs. He had been the most respected of college coaches, leading St. Joe's teams to a 234-72 record over 11 seasons. In more than 20 seasons as an NBA coach, he would pile up 864 regular-season wins.

One of Coach Ramsey’s main reasons for coming to Portland was the “big redhead” in the middle. Bill Walton had been plagued by injuries his first two years with the Trail Blazers. But when healthy he had been averaging 14.7 points and 13.0 rebounds per game. His ability to dominate a game from the center position on the defensive end with his shot blocking and rebounding; and on the offensive side with his impeccable passing was what attracted Jack Ramsey to Portland.

therealtruth
05-31-2012, 02:08 AM
I think '07 Spurs had a 10-man rotation.