PDA

View Full Version : Thunder vs Spurs -Referee Assignments- Game 3

polandprzem
05-31-2012, 08:09 AM
Dan Crawford

http://elyriact.smugmug.com/Other/Cavs-Jan-24/CavaliersNetsBasketballctnewsc/1167524272_facGv-L.jpg

Bill Spooner

http://m5.paperblog.com/i/0/9815/nba-refs-vs-writers-or-bill-spooner-is-not-a--L-EVnbQx.jpeg

Derrick Stafford

http://www.basketball-refs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/derrick-stafford-231x300.jpg

---------------------
on bench :Bill Kennedy :D

And hopefully soon FWD will bring up some stats :tu

Bruno
05-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Nice, the good Crawford.

polandprzem
05-31-2012, 08:17 AM
Dan to me was the best ref for a long time in NBA. But I'm not so sure now.

Obstructed_View
05-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Pray for no injury, Kennedy's the only one that worries me.

hater
05-31-2012, 08:21 AM
don't let spur homer fool you. Joey Crawford is one of the best if not the best ref in the league.

this is why he still has a job even after his shenanigans.

Stern needs him and Joey knows it.

100%duncan
05-31-2012, 08:24 AM
Danny was great before, but damn that game 1 officiating in the East was bad.

KaiRMD1
05-31-2012, 09:02 AM
I think Joey has been decent lately so I don't really have anymore hate on him. Dick Bevetta is the only ref that I get worried about.

PublicOption
05-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Looks like the league is being kind to us. However, every time he is the the ref it seems that the games are close. He was at the .4 game. The bright side was had he been at one of those 2 games in LA, we wouldn't have gotten to .4.

polandprzem
05-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Wherever the talk is about refs you are talking about Joey like he has anything to do with anything. Esp. now.

The guy has a big ego and that's it. That's why he was a bad ref against the spurs for some time. But now he is non factor.

Danny on the other hand was always tough ref. When he decided to set the game by giving techs he is doing it. And IMO he is good ref to play on the road.

PublicOption
05-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Wherever the talk is about refs you are talking about Joey like he has anything to do with anything. Esp. now.

The guy has a big ego and that's it. That's why he was a bad ref against the spurs for some time. But now he is non factor.

Danny on the other hand was always tough ref. When he decided to set the game by giving techs he is doing it. And IMO he is good ref to play on the road.

agreed, because he will keep the game close the spurs will be in striking distance probably the whole game.

maverick1948
05-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Don't ever bring up Danny Crawford to a Dallas fan. He is like 2-20 in games with them. Not sure if it is Cuban or something else, but he is really hated in Dallas. Sort of like Joey was here.

polandprzem
05-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Stolen from other thread

Game 3 Officials -- Dan Crawford (crew chief), Bill Spooner, Derrick Stafford

Dan Crawford (11th playoff game in 2012; 266th career playoff game; 49th conference finals game)

The Spurs are 26-13 in playoff games officiated by Dan Crawford (11-8 on the road, 3-2 in conference finals during the Duncan era). Since 2007, the Spurs are 5-3 in playoff games officiated by Crawford and only 1-3 on the road. They lost Game 6 at Memphis in the 2011 WCFR, won Game 3 at home over Dallas in the 2010 WCFR, lost Game 1 at LAL in the 2008 WCF, won Game 3 at Cleveland in the 2007 Finals, won Game 1 over Utah at home in the 2007 WCF, lost Game 2 at Phoenix in the 2008 WCSF, and won Game 1 over Denver at home in the 2007 WCFR. The other conference finals games with Dan Crawford since 1998: 1999 WCF Game 2 v. PRT (Win), 2001 WCF Game 3 at LAL (Loss), 2003 WCF Game 3 at Dallas (Win -- the "call your own fouls" game), 2007 WCF Game 1 v. UTH (Win), 2008 WCF Game 1 at LAL (Loss). The Spurs have not seen Dan Crawford in a playoff game in 2012.

In the regular season, the Spurs were 4-0 in games that Dan Crawford called. They won at home against Houston in February, won at Philadelphia in February, won at Oklahoma City in March, and won at home against Memphis in April.

Road teams are 24-41 in playoff games officiated by Dan Crawford since 2007; this year road teams are 4-6 (In the first round, Indiana won Game 3 at Orlando, Memphis won Game 6 at the Clippers; in the conference semifinals, Philadelphia won Game 2 at Boston, Oklahoma City won Game 4 at the Lakers)

In their current incarnation, the Thunder are 1-2 in playoff games officiated by Dan Crawford. As noted, they won Game 4 at LAL in the 2012 WCSF, they lost Game 4 of the 2011 WCF at home to Dallas, and they lost Game 5 of the 2010 WCFR at the Lakers.

Bill Spooner (8th playoff game in 2012, 86th career playoff game, 12th conference finals game)

The Spurs are 7-7 in playoff games that Spooner has officiated (6-5 on the road, 2-0 in conference finals -- won Game 3 at Dallas in 2003, won Game 2 at Phoenix in 2005). Spooner was part of the officiating abomination that was Game 3 at Dallas in 2006. Since then, the Spurs have only seen him 3 times -- a win at LAC in Game 4 of the 2012 WCSF, a loss at Memphis in Game 4 of the 2011 WCFR, and a win at home over Dallas in Game 6 of the 2010 WCFR.

The Spurs were 1-1 during the regular season in games officiated by Spooner. They lost at Houston in January and won at Boston in April.

Road teams are 13-20 in games officiated by Spooner since 2007. Road teams are 3-4 in Spooner's games this year (Spooner also called Game 3 of the Indiana/Orlando series, which the Pacers won on the road; he called OKC's Game 4 win in Dallas; and, as noted, he called the Spurs Game 4 win at the Clippers in the WCSF).

In their current incarnation, the Thunder are 4-0 in playoff games that Spooner has called, 1-0 at home, and 1-0 in the conference finals. Along with their Game 4 win at Dallas in the 2012 WCFR, the Thunder won Game 2 of the 2011 WCF at Dallas, won Game 4 of the 2011 WCSF at Memphis, and won Game 5 of the 2011 WCFR over Denver. Spooner has called only one Thunder playoff game this year -- the Game 4 win at Dallas in round one.

Derrick Stafford (10th playoff game in 2012, 110th career playoff game, 12th conference finals game)

The Spurs are 12-6 in playoff games officiated by Stafford (3-4 on the road, 2-0 in the conference finals -- won Game 4 at Dallas in 2003, won Game 3 at home over Phoenix in 2005). Stafford has called 2 Spurs playoff games this year -- Game 2 at home against Utah and Game 3 at the Clippers. Obviously, the Spurs won each of those games. Until this round, Stafford has been a crew chief; this is his first playoff game this year in which he will not be the lead official. Since 2007, the Spurs are 3-2 in playoff games officiated by Stafford -- along with the 2 wins this year, the Spurs won Game 5 at home against Phoenix in the 2008 WCFR; they lost Game 2 of the 2010 WCSF at Phoenix and lost Game 1 of the 2011 WCFR v. Memphis.

During the regular season, the Spurs were 1-1 in games that Stafford called, winning at New Jersey in February and losing the game at Portland in February when Pop rested everyone.

Road teams are 15-28 in playoff games officiated by Stafford since 2007. This year, road teams are 2-7 (the Spurs won Game 3 at the Clippers in the WCSF, and Boston won Game 3 at Philadelphia in the ECSF).

In their current incarnation, the Thunder are 2-1 in playoff games officiated by Stafford. They are 1-0 at home and 0-1 in conference finals games. They lost Game 5 of the 2011 WCF at Dallas, won Game 2 of the 2011 WCSF at home over Memphis, and won Game 3 of the 2011 WCFR at Denver.

If you want to go really old school, each of these officials worked a game of the 2005 Spurs/Sonics Western Conference Semifinal series -- D. Crawford worked Game 6 (Spurs win at Seattle), Spooner worked Game 4 (Sonics win in Seattle), Stafford worked Game 1 (Spurs win at home). Only Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Gregg Popovich (and Mike Budenholzer if you want to be really specific), and Nick Collison were part of that series with their current teams; Nazr Mohammad was involved but with the Spurs.

If you want to go really, really old school, Crawford and Spooner each worked games in the 2002 Spurs/Sonics first round series -- D. Crawford worked Game 3 (Spurs win at Seattle), Spooner worked Game 4 (Sonics win at Seattle with Tim in St. Croix for his father's funeral and David Robinson missing the game with his back issues). Only Duncan, Parker, Pop, and Bud remain from that series; Stephen Jackson was with the Spurs that year, but was not on the playoff roster.

Pero
05-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Dan Crawford

http://elyriact.smugmug.com/Other/Cavs-Jan-24/CavaliersNetsBasketballctnewsc/1167524272_facGv-L.jpg

LMAO, what's the story in this pic?

Obstructed_View
05-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Don't ever bring up Danny Crawford to a Dallas fan. He is like 2-20 in games with them. Not sure if it is Cuban or something else, but he is really hated in Dallas. Sort of like Joey was here.

Dallas fan always finds someone to blame when they lose. They'd be undefeated if it weren't for everyone conspiring against them.

Seriously, the Dairy Queen comment Mark Cuban made was after they lost to the Spurs. He claims it's because of the preferential treatment superstars get. Tim Duncan fouled out in that game. Either Brent Barry or Terry Porter closed it out with free throws (lol that I don't remember).

thunderfan
05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Dallas fan always finds someone to blame when they lose. They'd be undefeated if it weren't for everyone conspiring against them.

I knew we'd eventually agree on something!

thunderfan
05-31-2012, 01:21 PM
If you listen to any Mavs fans, Dirk is fouled on EVERY possession. I'm really not exaggerating. I think they truly think the man is fouled every time he touches the ball.

K-State Spur
05-31-2012, 01:30 PM
don't let spur homer fool you. Joey Crawford is one of the best if not the best ref in the league.

this is why he still has a job even after his shenanigans.

Stern needs him and Joey knows it.

Joey's great...for any other game. He's one of the few who doesn't let home crowds intimidate him.

But he shouldn't be allowed to call Spurs games. He does appear to hold a grudge.

That said, he was equally bad for both teams in Game 1 (not one of his better days all around). The Durant elbow to Jax was just a microcosm of Joey's day - how he missed an obvious play that happened three feet in front of his eyes and needed another official from halfway across the court to bail him out is beyond me.

K-State Spur
05-31-2012, 01:31 PM
If you listen to any Mavs fans, Dirk is fouled on EVERY possession. I'm really not exaggerating. I think they truly think the man is fouled every time he touches the ball.

Hardest player in the league to officiate. Best way to defend him is by crowding him, which means he is frequently fouled without call. But he also frequently flops without being fouled, so it likely evens out for him over time.

Whisky Dog
05-31-2012, 01:33 PM
To me the officiating was questionable in the 4th Q of game 2 but the thunder were aggressive so I can't fault it too much, but outside of that it's been pretty solid in each of the Spurs' playoff games this year. IMO since the Donaghy scandal the reffing in the postseason has been more consistent. Hopefully the Spurs get a good whistle this game.

Ironically, if the bias were to exist this year by the league it would probably favor the Spurs as the Spurs are becoming ratings darlings with this style of play and story this post season. I don't think it'll matter but an ironic thought.

thunderfan
05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
I typically hate whiners and I rarely whine about refs or anything else, but I'll say Game 2 vs Dallas this year was excrutiating to watch. 71 free throws shot in that game.

HomerFan092120
05-31-2012, 01:40 PM

Seriously, the Dairy Queen comment Mark Cuban made was after they lost to the Spurs. He claims it's because of the preferential treatment superstars get. Tim Duncan fouled out in that game. Either Brent Barry or Terry Porter closed it out with free throws (lol that I don't remember).

HELL YEAH O_V!!!!!!!!

My mouth's a little sore today, will a handjob be enough?

Axe Murderer
05-31-2012, 01:41 PM
I typically hate whiners and I rarely whine about refs or anything else, but I'll say Game 2 vs Dallas this year was excrutiating to watch. 71 free throws shot in that game.

:lol so you call out Dallas fans for whining and then you whine about the refs in the next post?

Out of nowhere goods
05-31-2012, 01:48 PM
I knew we'd eventually agree on something!

:rolleyes

Great, way to feed this retard's ego even more

Beaverfuzz
05-31-2012, 01:49 PM
These refs are fine.

thunderfan
05-31-2012, 01:51 PM
:lol so you call out Dallas fans for whining and then you whine about the refs in the next post?

What did I whine about? I said the game was excrutiating to watch because they shot 71 free throws. Not once did I say the free throws were unwarranted. You took it upon yourself to assume such. I didn't even imply the refs were bad.

Axe Murderer
05-31-2012, 02:00 PM
What did I whine about? I said the game was excrutiating to watch because they shot 71 free throws. Not once did I say the free throws were unwarranted. You took it upon yourself to assume such. I didn't even imply the refs were bad.

:lmao Just stop brah before you dig yourself a deeper whole.

:lol coming into a ref thread, saying a game was excruciating to watch because they shot 71 free throws and then saying it had nothing to do with the refs

FromWayDowntown
05-31-2012, 02:48 PM
And hopefully soon FWD will bring up some stats :tu

My usual stuff was posted earlier. Given that timvp has correctly identified FTA as a matter of some significance in this series, I took a quick look at the home and away free throw attempts during this postseason for each of tonight's officials.

With Crawford, the home team averages 22.8 FTA/gm while the road team averages 19.7 FTA/gm.

With Spooner, the home team averages 25.9 FTA/gm while the road team averages 21.1 FTA/gm.

With Stafford, the home team averages 23.1 FTA/gm while the road team averages 23.6 FTA/gm.

In Crawford's 10 games, the team leading in FTA is 7-3; the home team has led in FTA in 5 of those games:

MIA/NYK Gm. 1 -- Home 33, Away 11 (home win)
IND/ORL Gm. 3 -- Home 18, Away 20 (road win)
LAL/DEN Gm. 3 -- Home 23, Away 25 (home win)
CHI/PHI Gm. 4 -- Home 31, Away 14 (home win)
BOS/ATL Gm. 5 -- Home 14, Away 15 (home win)
MEM/LAC Gm. 6 -- Home 25, Away 27 (road win)
PHI/BOS Gm. 2 -- Home 9, Away 21 (road win)
MIA/IND Gm. 3 -- Home 23, Away 18 (home win)
OKC/LAL Gm. 4 -- Home 29, Away 25 (road win)
MIA/BOS Gm. 1 -- Home 23, Away 21 (home win)

In Spooner's 7 games, the team leading in FTA is 6-1; the home team has led in FTA in 4 of those games:

MIA/NYK Gm. 2 -- Home 27, Away 19 (home win)
IND/ORL Gm. 3 -- Home18, Away 20 (road win)
OKC/DAL Gm. 4 -- Home 24, Away 20 (road win)
MEM/LAC Gm. 5 -- Home 34, Away 29 (home win)
LAL/DEN Gm. 7 -- Home 23, Away 14 (home win)
BOS/PHI Gm. 4 -- Home 36, Away 19 (home win)
SAS/LAC Gm. 4 -- Home 19, Away 27 (road win)

In Stafford's 9 games, the team leading in FTA is 6-3; the home team has led in FTA 7 of those games (despite that, road teams have actually shot a few more free throws over the course of the playoffs):

PHI/CHI Gm. 1 -- Home 24, Away 31 (home win)
IND/ORL Gm. 2 -- Home 28, Away 19 (home win)
SAS/UTH Gm. 2 -- Home 10, Away 23 (home win)
MEM/LAC Gm. 3 -- Home 30, Away 39 (home win)
BOS/ATL Gm. 5 -- Home 24, Away 10 (home win)
BOS/PHI Gm. 3 -- Home 22, Away 28 (away win)
SAS/LAC Gm. 3 -- Home 18, Away 25 (away win)
MIA/IND Gm. 5 -- Home 29, Away 23 (home win)

Obstructed_View
05-31-2012, 02:50 PM
:lol Duncan>Howard defensively

:lol shittiest poster on the site

:lol doesn't watch basketball

:lol drags out one thing I said a year ago which has since proven to be true

:lol douchebag

:lol unoriginal

:lol fake Spurs fan

Obstructed_View
05-31-2012, 06:35 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

how the fuck is current Duncan better than Dwight Howard on defense?

Please tell me, I'm all ears

Bring it on haters and those that don't understand advanced stats: Duncan even this year blocks more shots per minute and rebounds at nearly the rate of Howard - Duncan is also a far smarter defender, and while he does not have Howard's hops has at least as long as reach:

Not surprising Duncan historically far greater than D. Howard in shot blocking effectiveness - which is not the same as just blocking shots, but Duncan is also top 9 all time in that too
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See the following link:

Not surprising for the man who may have had the greatest block season in history: http://www.48minutesofhell.com/the-v...duncans-blocks
Although intuitive in its own right, this information paints a counterintuitive portrait of some of the NBA’s better regarded frontcourt defenders. For instance, “Looking at it this way, Brendon Haywood, who many people think is a very good defender (me included) actually is a less valuable shot blocker than Jermaine O’Neal.”

Huizinga’s paper is titled “The Value of a Blocked Shot in the NBA: From Dwight Howard to Tim Duncan,” and not without good reason, explains Pruiti:

…As [Huizinga] explained, through a series of charts, Tim Duncan has had the best season in history when it came down to value/block with 1.12, meaning he saved 1.12 points with every block and Dwight Howard ended up with the worst season in terms of value/block with with .53 (both came during the 2008 season*).Long ago I noticed that most of Tim Duncan’s blocks came right at the rim, which is why I am so excited to read about Huizinga’s paper. Rather than stoke the debate between traditional scouting and advanced statisticians, it further shows how the conclusions of one can work symbiotically with the visual evidence of the other.

*for which he foolishly got the DVOP for being over-valued but Howard could not sniff the great Duncan in his prime defensively and even today may not be the better defender!

Read more: http://www.48minutesofhell.com/the-v...#ixzz1HFMvcYle

Duncan today, when motivated and rested, is still a plausiby a more effective overall shot blocker than Howard and Chandler - perhaps Ibaka with his super human hops or Bynum with his reach and size can make a case to be more effective but in the playoffs when it counts give me Duncan over at least Howard anytime to at least try to make the right and efficient play.

Settled long ago. You fucking dipshits liked to point out that Duncan was past his prime despite the numbers that he put up when it mattered most and still does. Honestly, you need to take your weak fucking unoriginal shit back downstairs and jerk off with all the other assholes that don't understand anything about basketball.

Obstructed_View
05-31-2012, 06:42 PM
It seems to me that you might be slightly upset.

And :lol at using a Rummpd thread for backup. Someone's reached a new low

It seems to me that you might be slightly unable to admit that you're wrong, but I'm not surprised.

And :lol at not understanding the explanation which is based on the article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/14032/the-value-of-a-blocked-shot

Which concludes that Duncan's blocks are worth three times as much as Howard's. There's a convincing case to be made. Choke on it.

mkurts
05-31-2012, 06:43 PM
These referees are fine until they start calling random Technical Fouls a'la Celtics game.

NBA officials need to get their shit together because the officiating is getting worse as the years go on.

Aztecfan03
05-31-2012, 06:45 PM
My usual stuff was posted earlier. Given that timvp has correctly identified FTA as a matter of some significance in this series, I took a quick look at the home and away free throw attempts during this postseason for each of tonight's officials.

With Crawford, the home team averages 22.8 FTA/gm while the road team averages 19.7 FTA/gm.

With Spooner, the home team averages 25.9 FTA/gm while the road team averages 21.1 FTA/gm.

With Stafford, the home team averages 23.1 FTA/gm while the road team averages 23.6 FTA/gm.

In Crawford's 10 games, the team leading in FTA is 7-3; the home team has led in FTA in 5 of those games:

MIA/NYK Gm. 1 -- Home 33, Away 11 (home win)
IND/ORL Gm. 3 -- Home 18, Away 20 (road win)
LAL/DEN Gm. 3 -- Home 23, Away 25 (home win)
CHI/PHI Gm. 4 -- Home 31, Away 14 (home win)
BOS/ATL Gm. 5 -- Home 14, Away 15 (home win)
MEM/LAC Gm. 6 -- Home 25, Away 27 (road win)
PHI/BOS Gm. 2 -- Home 9, Away 21 (road win)
MIA/IND Gm. 3 -- Home 23, Away 18 (home win)
OKC/LAL Gm. 4 -- Home 29, Away 25 (road win)
MIA/BOS Gm. 1 -- Home 23, Away 21 (home win)
In Spooner's 7 games, the team leading in FTA is 6-1; the home team has led in FTA in 4 of those games:

MIA/NYK Gm. 2 -- Home 27, Away 19 (home win)
IND/ORL Gm. 3 -- Home18, Away 20 (road win)
OKC/DAL Gm. 4 -- Home 24, Away 20 (road win)
MEM/LAC Gm. 5 -- Home 34, Away 29 (home win)
BOS/PHI Gm. 4 -- Home 36, Away 19 (home win)
SAS/LAC Gm. 4 -- Home 19, Away 27 (road win)In Stafford's 9 games, the team leading in FTA is 6-3; the home team has led in FTA 7 of those games (despite that, road teams have actually shot a few more free throws over the course of the playoffs):

PHI/CHI Gm. 1 -- Home 24, Away 31 (home win)
IND/ORL Gm. 2 -- Home 28, Away 19 (home win)
SAS/UTH Gm. 2 -- Home 10, Away 23 (home win)
MEM/LAC Gm. 3 -- Home 30, Away 39 (home win)
BOS/ATL Gm. 5 -- Home 24, Away 10 (home win)
BOS/PHI Gm. 3 -- Home 22, Away 28 (away win)
SAS/LAC Gm. 3 -- Home 18, Away 25 (away win)
MIA/IND Gm. 5 -- Home 29, Away 23 (home win)

not trying to nitpick, but in w/ spooner, home team led in 5 of the 7 games according to your list of games.

and w/ stafford, home team only led in free throws 4 of the 9 games.

lefty
05-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Nice, the good Crawford.

The same one who gave a retarded T to Ray Allen ?

Aztecfan03
05-31-2012, 06:47 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

how the fuck is current Duncan better than Dwight Howard on defense?

Please tell me, I'm all ears

either way it has nothing to do with this thread and you are an idiot.

lefty
05-31-2012, 06:48 PM
I think Joey has been decent lately so I don't really have anymore hate on him. Dick Bevetta is the only ref that I get worried about.

Joey is actually an excellent referee

He just has a bias against some players and has an ego

But he is good

Obstructed_View
05-31-2012, 06:52 PM
either way it has nothing to do with this thread and you are an idiot.

There's a whole army of them. None of them are correct, it's the only thing they ever talk about, and they love to derail otherwise interesting conversations with it.