PDA

View Full Version : Rick Reilly drinking the Spurs Haterade

Sausage
05-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Rick Reilly ‏@ReillyRick

I don't hate the Spurs, tweople. I respect their greatness. I just dread another NBA Finals with them in it.

Rick Reilly ‏@ReillyRick

Yes, San Antonio is one of the top 5 NBA teams ever. But do you really want another Finals watching Mopesy and Floppsy?

Give him a piece of your mind, Spurs fans!

spursfaninla
05-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Don't feed that troll by responding to his weak tweet. You are making him money, and encouraging him to make similar takes without substance or support.

ShoogarBear
05-31-2012, 11:33 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Keepin' it real
Is this the guy who owns Reilly Auto Parts? If not, I never heard of him.

TDomination
I heard him on the Herd, guys an idiot.

Its fine if he doesn't like the spurs, but the reason he finds them boring is because he says that the spurs don't run, all manu does is flop and all tim does is whine

I highly doubt he watches any of the spurs games this year

dbreiden83080
05-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Why would someone who is a fan of the NBA dread any finals with them in it? I don't think these people are watching the games. SAS are the highest scoring team in the NBA right now.. The days of 80-75 are gone.. What is wrong with these people??

TE
05-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Another example of someone who doesn't watch any Spur games. That notion is even more pathetic now that they are playing the NBA's most promoted team.

:cry they are boring because they whine and flop and aren't flashy on offense...oh wait

timvp
05-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Nugget Fan hates the Spurs? Shocking.

dbreiden83080
05-31-2012, 11:38 AM
I heard him on the Herd, guys an idiot.

Its fine if he doesn't like the spurs, but the reason he finds them boring is because he says that the spurs don't run, all manu does is flop and all tim does is whine

I highly doubt he watches any of the spurs games this year

So who does he like and why is my question? These reporters are trolling..

TE
05-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Oh shit, he's a nugget fan. :lol

No wonder.

DMC
05-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Never heard of him.

I'd like to keep it that way.

However, I'm glad you started this thread. I wanted to talk about Steve Kerr and how he is over the top for the Thunder. Like almost all analysts/former NBA players who seem to have all the solutions when sitting behind the courtside broadcast table, they didn't have any of those answers while they were in charge of a franchise. Mark Jackson has no answers, Kerr had none in Phoenix, JVG had none in Houston, only Doug Collins gets my respect as someone who's comments meant something as he put his ideas to work and, with help of a torn ACL, did something. The rest of these ass clowns are no different than you or I making adjustment suggestions. JVG is 2nd best though, he's got some inside takes that pan out quite often that no one else mentions during the game. Hubie is ok, but he's never seen a timeout he didn't like.

timvp
05-31-2012, 11:41 AM
^That said, Reilly is just trolling. He likes riling people up, no pun intended.

When he wrote for SI, he was a top five sports writer in the country. Since he took the big money with ESPN, he started going downhill and officially jumped the shark a couple years ago. I don't even read his stuff anymore and I used to be a big fan, tbh.

DMC
05-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Nugget Fan hates the Spurs? Shocking.
I'm in Denver at the moment, I will leave a nice package in the bathroom here as a token of my appreciation before heading to the airport in a few minutes.

timvp
05-31-2012, 11:43 AM

Never heard of him.

WoW.

ShoogarBear
05-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Yeah, Reilly won National Sportswriter of the Year like about 5-6 times in a row. If you really haven't heard of him, you haven't been paying attention.

NASpurs
05-31-2012, 11:47 AM

No bro that's Bill O'Reilly. This guy hating on the Spurs was the Heat's center in the early 90s.

DMC
05-31-2012, 11:48 AM
WoW.

The last SI article I read was "Air Apparent" about David Robinson back in the 90's and one by Jack McCallum.

Never had a subscription. I'm a Field and Stream guy.

spurspokesman
05-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Ho cares what the haters think. They serve a purpose also. What frustrates me moe is these bet hedgers and spur haters chasing after the spurs wagon. Shout out to all the true spur faithful:toast

Spur|n|Austin
05-31-2012, 11:56 AM
^That said, Reilly is just trolling. He likes riling people up, no pun intended.

When he wrote for SI, he was a top five sports writer in the country. Since he took the big money with ESPN, he started going downhill and officially jumped the shark a couple years ago. I don't even read his stuff anymore and I used to be a big fan, tbh.

As did I, I usually looked forward to getting to the end of my SI magazines on the shitter just so I could read Life of Reilly but since the move to espn he's been a clown in my eyes.

The last SI article I read was "Air Apparent" about David Robinson back in the 90's and one by Jack McCallum.

Never had a subscription. I'm a Field and Stream guy.

You didn't read the amazing piece SI did on Duncan a couple weeks ago?

703 Spurz
05-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Rick Reilly ‏@ReillyRick

I don't hate the Spurs, tweople. I respect their greatness. I just dread another NBA Finals with them in it.

Rick Reilly ‏@ReillyRick

Yes, San Antonio is one of the top 5 NBA teams ever. But do you really want another Finals watching Mopesy and Floppsy?

Give him a piece of your mind, Spurs fans!

So he won't watch them in the Finals. Damn.

OZWIN
05-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Haters gonna hate.

LongtimeSpursFan
05-31-2012, 12:26 PM
TBH...who is Rick Reilly? Never heard of the dude. First person that came into my head was the guy who does Spurs game with The Hair.

Jimcs50
05-31-2012, 12:32 PM

They are the 2nd best franchise in NBA history. LA is number 1, Boston is number 3.

They guy obviously has not watched a Spurs game this year. He needs to retire.

The ADMIRAL 50
05-31-2012, 12:39 PM

I couldn't agree more. Reilly wrote some really compelling, even moving pieces for SI in 'Life of Reilly,' but ever since he joined ESPN he has just been an embarrassment. Its hard to equate in my mind the amazing writer I used to enjoy reading so much (I even had the collection of his best pieces when I was younger) with the idiot ESPN personality of present day. Quite a shame. I was bummed when he left SI but I never could have imagined how much respect I would lose for the guy, much less how I would end up disliking him.

garrr210
05-31-2012, 12:40 PM
obv guy is a total whack job, but its not worth it to get butt hurt over. he hates the spurs wgaf. guy needs to stick to espn homecoming segments tho.

Drz
05-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Same as timvp about liking him a loooooooooong time ago. I now rate him the worst mainstream writer in sports. He very clearly mails his columns in, and the writing style is at a high-school level, overfilled with awful puns.

He's not trolling unforunately, he's just a bad writer. He wrote a total hatchet job on Jimmer Fredette while Jimmer was at BYU, and when someone asked him about it a few days later, he admitted he'd only seen Fredette play once.

UZER
05-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Spurs haven't been in the finals for 5 years. More media hypocrisy...tired of seeing spurs, but la every year is so exciting. :rolleyes

td4mvp3
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
just listened to him, his logic really made no sense. duncan looks sad, durant is exciting, we should want to see new people in the finals. highest scoring team used to be what folks rooted for with the suns, but saying it's not exciting just ignores ginobili's passes.

tesseractive
05-31-2012, 01:11 PM

Honestly, my impression was that he'd been phoning it in for at least a decade.

Obstructed_View
05-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Good job by the writers of trolling the smallest fanbase in sports.

tesseractive
05-31-2012, 01:14 PM
They are the 2nd best franchise in NBA history. LA is number 1, Boston is number 3.

How do you rate the Spurs ahead of Boston as an overall franchise? The Celts have a ridiculous number of titles.

They guy obviously has not watched a Spurs game this year. He needs to retire.

Or go back to talking about golf.

Jimcs50
05-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Call Dr Kervorkian...it is time Rick

Whisky Dog
05-31-2012, 01:49 PM
I miss his Life of Reilly SI back cover columns. Shame what ESPN has done to the guy, he's a chameleon.

Beaverfuzz
05-31-2012, 01:49 PM
who cares?

cheguevara
05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
"tweople"

what a grand faggot

DMC
05-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Spurs haven't been in the finals for 5 years. More media hypocrisy...tired of seeing spurs, but la every year is so exciting. :rolleyes

People are not excited about the Spurs (except Spurs fans and those who pretend to be purists for the sake of argument).

The Spurs do not have a flashy, stand out drama queen superstar player who's trials (literally) and tribulations are followed by the main stream media because that's what generates views.

Telling the world that the Spurs are a great franchise is like telling the world that wheat bread is good for you. No one cares. No one cares that a small market team can be successful (except other small market fans). No one cares that a guy named Tim Duncan who only has a small handful of commercials and no movie star wife or drug rehab or rape accusations is closing out one of the greatest careers ever in professional sports by possibly winning it all again, or that a group of "who?" type players are destroying other team's benches.

Of course, the "no one" I speak of never watches basketball between November and June anyhow.

KaiRMD1
05-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Never heard of him

PublicOption
05-31-2012, 02:46 PM
I wish these guys would say the real reason they don't like us. Because they cater to large markets and we are not a large market. We don't make $ for them so they hate us. I wish they would just admit it.

PublicOption
05-31-2012, 02:47 PM
.......it really has nothing to do with the spurs do or did, we just don't make them $

dbreiden83080
05-31-2012, 03:11 PM
@ReillyRick Yes. The Spurs are the most exciting below the rim team in the history of the NBA.

LOL what????

I think he's been drinking...

Kidd K
05-31-2012, 03:15 PM
One less guy who will be watching the Finals then. :lmao

He won't be missed.

@ReillyRick Yes. The Spurs are the most exciting below the rim team in the history of the NBA.

LOL what????

I think he's been drinking...

Sounds like he thinks only wide open, uncontested fast break dunks are the only thing exciting about basketball.

To me, that's the most overrated and annoying part of the game. Counts for the same as a layup, yet omg highlights~ pfft.

dbreiden83080
05-31-2012, 03:24 PM
One less guy who will be watching the Finals then. :lmao

He won't be missed.

Sounds like he thinks only wide open, uncontested fast break dunks are the only thing exciting about basketball.

To me, that's the most overrated and annoying part of the game. Counts for the same as a layup, yet omg highlights~ pfft.

He must enjoy watching all star games then.. I'm 31 and have been watching the NBA faithfully for 20 years. I am running through my head the best teams of my era and i really have no idea what that tweet is supposed to mean? Jordan's Bulls were not high flying outside of Jordan and Jordan was only that way in his youth, 2nd half of his career he was shooting mostly jumpers. The best Knicks teams of the 90's were all about physical defense and grinding wins out. I would not call the Shaq/Kobe Lakers high flying outside of Kobe again in his youth. Nash's Suns were fun to watch with the run and gun and NO D style especially when Amare was at his peak but they were never good enough to get over the hump. Even if you are not a Duncan fan how can anyone watch the display Tony put on along with the beautiful passing and high scoring and call it boring? Some people are just haters without logic..

Budkin
05-31-2012, 03:29 PM
What happened to that guy... I used to really like his articles.

sananspursfan21
05-31-2012, 03:44 PM

O'reilly autoparts, so probably not

UZER
05-31-2012, 03:57 PM
People are not excited about the Spurs (except Spurs fans and those who pretend to be purists for the sake of argument).

The Spurs do not have a flashy, stand out drama queen superstar player who's trials (literally) and tribulations are followed by the main stream media because that's what generates views.

Telling the world that the Spurs are a great franchise is like telling the world that wheat bread is good for you. No one cares. No one cares that a small market team can be successful (except other small market fans). No one cares that a guy named Tim Duncan who only has a small handful of commercials and no movie star wife or drug rehab or rape accusations is closing out one of the greatest careers ever in professional sports by possibly winning it all again, or that a group of "who?" type players are destroying other team's benches.

Of course, the "no one" I speak of never watches basketball between November and June anyhow.

Oh I know and get what your saying. Thats my point about hypocrisy and the boring angle. If this same exact team was in LA, the media drool over their "team first" fundamental basketball would be out of this world dunks or no dunks.

Every ounce of respect and love the Spurs are getting now has been earned the hard way. They get no gimmies from the media. The coverage they are getting now is almost out of shamefulness for not giving them their just due during the Duncan era....somewhat of a lifetime achievement award.

TDomination
05-31-2012, 04:14 PM

You hit the nail on the head there. Those who only watch the BIG games or playoff games are not going to care about the spurs. Only about the team that is making major headlines. And Rick Reilly OBVIOUSLY does not watch any spurs games whatsoever. Theres no way.

But to try to relate to other real basketball fans, I try to imagine how I feel about other teams that most may consider boring in the NFL. I am a cowboys fan. A good team that may feel boring to me is a team like the Baltimore Ravens.

But then I begin thinking, how many baltimore games had I watched. ZERO. Maybe like a quarter or two. Only the Cowboys/Ravens games.

What made them boring for me? Low scoring and main focus on defense. And I don't even know if thats the kind of team they have now, nor do I care. But what I do know is I would not make an opinion about them to thousands of people before actually watching a lot of their most recent games.

Anyways, a team like the Patriots in the early 2000's were not flashy at all. They played as a team and had a teamfirst attitude that did not make people want to flock to their television sets.

Yet when I watched them, I was always in awe of their precision and how good they were. I would wish that my cowboys were that good.

Were they flashy? Not at all. But their high level of excellence made them very enjoyable to watch imo.

Beaverfuzz
05-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Under the rim 4, lob city 0.

Go fuck yourself Reilly.

wildbill2u
05-31-2012, 04:58 PM

One of the sports show guys in Houston gave up the reason these guys get twitter and facebook accounts is to drum up traffic on them. They use the traffic responses to whatever controversy they can start to show their station manager how big their audience is. They get paid better if they have a demonstrated audience and if they get fired, they can use the records of their facebook and twitter accounts to show a program manager at another station.

In other words, all their BS is nothing but an attempt to pad their ratings.

GSH
05-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Funny - Reilly is pretty much universally loved.

Not

http://firerickreilly.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/1301535789312.jpg?w=600

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-31-2012, 05:20 PM
If Reilly is dreading the prospect of watching the Spurs in the Finals, then by all means, I hope the Spurs make his Finals TV viewership miserable by being in it.

Dingle Barry
05-31-2012, 05:43 PM
No bro that's Bill O'Reilly. This guy hating on the Spurs was the Heat's center in the early 90s.
:lmao

Beaverfuzz
05-31-2012, 05:54 PM
:lmao

Reilly is Rony Seikaly?