PDA

View Full Version : It's Okay to Pray for a Spurs Victory

mcornelio
06-23-2005, 12:50 PM
It's Okay to Pray for a Spurs Victory
LAST UPDATE: 6/23/2005 7:47:49 AM
Posted By: Jim Forsyth
This story is available on your cell phone at mobile.woai.com.

A lot of us are doing it, but is it okay.... to pray to God for a San Antonio Spurs' victory in tonight's game seven of the NBA Finals. And will God listen?

The Rev. Eddie Bernal, a prominent Catholic theologian and pastor of St. Benedict's Church on the city's east side, says, go for it.

"Yes, definitely," he says.

"I think it'll be good for the city, I think it'll be something we need, I think a Spurs victory would be good for the country, because the Spurs are men of integrity, and a Spurs victory would send a message that the good guys can win," Father Eddie told 1200 WOAI's Charity McCurdy.

Bernal says 'certainly' there are more important things going on in the world, but he says 'God loves us' whenever we pray, and he compares prayer to 'getting a call from a favorite grandson.'

But he says a Spurs victory would send a message that God would approve of.

"You don't have to be violent, you don't have to break rules, you don't have do all those kinds of things to win. I think God would be very happy about that."

Bernal says he personally has been praying for a Spurs victory.

"I certainly am praying for the Spurs. I have been praying for them at every Mass that I've celebrated since last weekend."

Spurs_Fan_Nineteen
06-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I read that on WOAI.com...cool article. Makes me feel better.

nkdlunch
06-23-2005, 12:54 PM
"I think it'll be good for the city, I think it'll be something we need, I think a Spurs victory would be good for the country, because the Spurs are men of integrity, and a Spurs victory would send a message that the good guys can win,"

Good will triumph over evil!!!

Remember that nun from game 2??? she got our backs!

Spurminator
06-23-2005, 12:55 PM
:lol

This is great...

Guru of Nothing
06-23-2005, 12:56 PM
I just googled 'god spurs' and got a Spurstalk hit on the first page.

easjer
06-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Good to know?

NoMoneyDown
06-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Remember that nun from game 2??? she got our backs!

:lol :lol :lol :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Well I think it should be pretty obvious that God would be on the side of San Antonio if you consider the other sports franchises in the cities. The only other game in town for SA is the minor league baseball team, the Missions, a team named after a group of buildings built in God's name. Then in Detroit you have the Red Wings (which makes me think of Satan), the Lions (who the Romans fed the Christians to), and the Tigers, and well I think it's pretty obvious God's not a fan of those guys.

And on top of that, the Spurs leader is from SAINT Croix. And I'm sure there's more that I'm just not seeing at the moment.

samikeyp
06-23-2005, 01:09 PM
plus DRob will be in the house.

NeoConIV
06-23-2005, 01:13 PM
and the Tigers, and well I think it's pretty obvious God's not a fan of those guys.

:lol :lol

50 cent
06-23-2005, 02:10 PM
Prayer said. I prayed for the Spurs to be calm, confident, and collectively play together. Oh, and to beat the everliving Sh...uh, poop out of the Pistons.