PDA

View Full Version : "I picked ____ before the season, and I'm not changing my pick."

Keepin' it real
05-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Does this mentality drive anyone else nuts? I hear "experts" say this on ESPN and other sports programs A LOT. It makes no sense and shows how stupid someone can be. How about using your brain to evaluate teams as they progress throughout the season, then making informed decisions, such as changing your mind when something becomes evident?

Yes, picking the Spurs at the start of the season -- with Jefferson, Bonner and Blair as major contributors -- would have been a bad pick. But with the trade, the acquisition of Diaw, and Kawhi's development, everything changed. But since the playoffs began, people have kept saying "I picked OKC/LA/Miami/Boston/Chicago at the start of the season, and I'm not changing my pick." Some even said that about Chicago after Rose was injured!!! :bang

Changing your mind based on evidence shows you're smart. Not changing your mind in spite of evidence shows you're an idiot.

Jimcs50
05-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Does this mentality drive anyone else nuts? I hear "experts" say this on ESPN and other sports programs A LOT. It makes no sense and shows how stupid someone can be. How about using your brain to evaluate teams as they progress throughout the season, then making informed decisions, such as changing your mind when something becomes evident?

Yes, picking the Spurs at the start of the season -- with Jefferson, Bonner and Blair as major contributors -- would have been a bad pick. But with the trade, the acquisition of Diaw, and Kawhi's development, everything changed. But since the playoffs began, people have kept saying "I picked OKC/LA/Miami/Boston/Chicago at the start of the season, and I'm not changing my pick." Some even said that about Chicago after Rose was injured!!! :bang

Changing your mind based on evidence shows you're smart. Not changing your mind in spite of evidence shows you're an idiot.

I thought Miami would be in Finals before Chicago went off, then I switched to them. In West I hoped for SA, but was not very confident, I did not feel that they hada chance until the middle of their rodeo trip.

SA210
05-31-2012, 04:31 PM
I picked Spurs from Day 1 :tu

FromWayDowntown
05-31-2012, 04:31 PM
I picked Chicago to win the East and the Mavericks to win the West back in December and I'm sticking with that.

will_spurs
05-31-2012, 04:33 PM

Only fools don't change their minds.

TDomination
05-31-2012, 04:36 PM

Ditto, but it was more of a wish then a pick. I was not confident but I that was my pick.

But if i was a journalist, I probably would've picked Heat to win it all at the beginning of the year.

Beaverfuzz
05-31-2012, 04:40 PM
I had the T'Wolves and Nets in my finals and I'm not changing my prediction!

ViceCity86
05-31-2012, 04:41 PM
I had Spurs-Bulls as my preseason finals pick.

baseline bum
05-31-2012, 04:47 PM
I had OKC vs Miami in the Finals, with Miami winning it all. Never in my wildest dreams did I see someone coming and erasing the Jefferson mistake for the Spurs. That was the turning point of the season.

With Dick: 28-13
Without Dick: 32-3

Budkin
05-31-2012, 04:53 PM
I had OKC vs Miami in the Finals, with Miami winning it all. Never in my wildest dreams did I see someone coming and erasing the Jefferson mistake for the Spurs. That was the turning point of the season.

With Dick: 28-13
Without Dick: 32-3

Same thing I thought. After the way last season ended I thought our days in contention were pretty much over.

Obstructed_View
05-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Goes with the whole "prediction" epidemic at ESPN. The only thing stupider than using what amounts to a lucky guess to establish pecking order (particularly since ESPN stopped posting betting lines years ago) is to have people stick to a pick regardless of changing conditions. Picking the Spurs at the beginning of this season is just as dumb as sticking with Chicago after they carried Rose off the floor.

Spur|n|Austin
05-31-2012, 04:57 PM
I had the Spurs and Bulls, but that's because sometimes my slight homerism allows me to makes such claims. In actuality, I can understand those who laughed at my predictions; the Spurs were pretty much dead, buried, and decaying after last years 1st round exit.

LongtimeSpursFan
05-31-2012, 05:34 PM
I picked the Spurs last year and I picked them again this year. After all they did have the best record in both seasons. Probably would have had a chance last year if Manu hadn't got hurt. Spurs were deep last year and are even better this year in the second unit for every position.

Kool Bob Love
05-31-2012, 05:43 PM

Same. I told everyone RJ will be the x-factor. We got Jackson for him.

Never felt so good being right.

eyeh8u
05-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Goes with the whole "prediction" epidemic at ESPN. The only thing stupider than using what amounts to a lucky guess to establish pecking order (particularly since ESPN stopped posting betting lines years ago) is to have people stick to a pick regardless of changing conditions. Picking the Spurs at the beginning of this season is just as dumb as sticking with Chicago after they carried Rose off the floor.

I saw a segment a couple days ago where they predicted the Draft Lottery.

Obstructed_View
05-31-2012, 06:01 PM
I saw a segment a couple days ago where they predicted the Draft Lottery.

Mind-numbingly stupid. :lol