PDA

View Full Version : The Death Of PBS and NPR

Nbadan
06-23-2005, 01:23 PM
The Associated Press

Updated: 1:45 p.m. ET June 23, 2005WASHINGTON - The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, already embroiled in controversy over allegations of a liberal-leaning bias in PBS programming, chose a former Republican Party co-chairman Thursday as its president and chief executive.

Patricia S. Harrison, the assistant secretary of state for educational and cultural affairs, was selected following three days of closed-door meetings by the corporation’s board of directors.

<snip>

In a letter to Tomlinson, Sens. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., and others expressed dismay at the expected appointment of Harrison.

“We find it astonishing that Ms. Harrison, given her former prominence as a partisan political figure, would even be considered as a candidate for a job that demands that the occupant be non-political,” the senators said in their letter.

MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8333144)

http://www.bartcop.com/delay-elmo.jpg

CaptainHook
06-23-2005, 01:56 PM
Sorry you lost a liberal television station, but dont worry, you still have ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, BBCNEWS, Al-Jazeera, etc.

SWC Bonfire
06-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Well, I do know that my nephew is not allowed to watch the "new" Sesame street... instead of just teaching, oh, I don't know, ABC's and 123's, they have to throw in a bunch of PC crap that the execs on the show thought was appropriate. Maybe to a older child, but not a 2 y/o. Instead of having a cowboy running around and branding X and big bird having an imaginary friend, now his friend is divorced and they talk about stuff that maybe only bigger kids should hear.

You are right, kids' programming shouldn't be partisan, it should be educational. That is a powerful thing, to influence a kid's mind, especially with kids watching so much TV.

NeoConIV
06-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Death of PBS and NPR? More like Birth of PBS and NPR...maybe it'll show a pulse now that it will be more in step with the rest of the country...

mookie2001
06-25-2005, 11:46 PM
cookiemonster
nova
austincitylimits
LIBERAL BASTARDS

Vashner
06-25-2005, 11:54 PM
ROFL This lady is good I bet. It's a shame for them to pre judge her duties at PBS director. PBS never belonged to one side or the other. Good quality political shows with good even moderation are best. So that different views can be offered to the public in a professional manner for them to listen to.

NeoConIV
06-25-2005, 11:55 PM
Those shows would stay numbnuts.

NOW would be 'THEN" though...lololol

Nbadan
06-26-2005, 03:53 AM
Most found PBS more trustworthy than all the major TV networks, CNN and Fox News included. Nor did liberal ``bias'' seem to be keeping radio listeners up nights. Fewer than 15 percent found NPR's coverage tilted against the Bush administration.

Luckily, Tomlinson, the Bush-appointed chairman of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, knows how to deal with such inconveniences. He used to be an editor at Reader's Digest. There, you just ax the info that bores you.

{snip}

But Tomlinson, a crony of Karl Rove's, has made it his mission to bring more ``balance'' to the operation. His main gripe seems to be Bill Moyers, whose program Now looks critically at issues of the day.

{snip}

Difficult though it may be to accept, balance is not really what Tomlinson is after. It's control of information, a Bush obsession.

The president and his crew see no difference between negative opinion and facts that may reflect negatively on them. They have proved masters at spreading a sunny view of their deeds, and will happily alter data.0

Globe Gazette (http://www.globegazette.com/articles/2005/06/25/opinion/doc42bcd2c32105b496885416.txt)

Nbadan
06-26-2005, 04:22 AM
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/working/050623/wuerker.gif

The Ressurrected One
06-26-2005, 09:23 AM
All I can say is; 'bout time.

xrayzebra
06-26-2005, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=
You are right, kids' programming shouldn't be partisan, it should be educational. That is a powerful thing, to influence a kid's mind, especially with kids watching so much TV.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice if it could just be fun to watch also. I wouldn't mind a
few more adult shows that were that way. Where is Alf when you need
him, no message, just good old dumb, funny stuff you could laugh about.