PDA

View Full Version : Radioactive tuna crosses Pacific to US

Fabbs
06-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Are you still munching tuna?
Now we can choose between radioactive Fukoshima tuna or yummy BP Gulf oil tuna.
mmmmn.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/japan-earthquake/7005943/Radioactive-tuna-crosses-Pacific-to-US

Excerpt:
The levels of radioactive cesium were 10 times higher than the amount measured in tuna off the California coast in previous years. But even so, that's still far below safe-to-eat limits set by the US and Japanese governments.

Previously, smaller fish and plankton were found with elevated levels of radiation in Japanese waters after a magnitude-9 earthquake in March 2011 triggered a tsunami that badly damaged the Fukushima Dai-ichi reactors.

But scientists did not expect the nuclear fallout to linger in huge fish that sail the world because such fish can metabolise and shed radioactive substances.

One of the largest and speediest fish, Pacific bluefin tuna can grow to three metres and weigh more than 450 kilograms. They spawn off the Japan coast and swim east at breakneck speed to school in waters off California and the tip of Baja California, Mexico.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
I smell a Godzilla reboot coming next summer.

DMC
06-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Maybe I can track them easier.

Wild Cobra
06-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I smell a Godzilla reboot coming next summer.
CharlieTunaZilla?

BlackSwordsMan
06-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Man I had tuna a month ago it tasted like a fart I shrugged it off and for almost a month it fucked my stomach up pretty bad. Constant diarrhea and anything I ate I had to run to the bathroom. I still have 4 cans in my pantry I might throw them away

BlackSwordsMan
06-01-2012, 08:14 PM
No joke I bought them from HEB it taste like someone farted in my mouth D=

BlackSwordsMan
06-01-2012, 08:21 PM
I haven't eaten anything from the ocean since.

Bro'Man
06-02-2012, 04:45 AM
I had me some tuna fish sammiches at a graduation party last night.

Summers
06-03-2012, 01:31 PM
But scientists did not expect the nuclear fallout to linger in huge fish that sail the world because such fish can metabolise and shed radioactive substances.

Mercury, on the other hand...

Fabbs
06-03-2012, 01:52 PM
^^ yeah, and also from the article:

The levels of radioactive cesium were 10 times higher than the amount measured in tuna off the California coast in previous years. But even so, that's still far below safe-to-eat limits set by the US and Japanese governments.

Is that "below" meaning good or bad?

lefty
06-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Canned tuna is great for a quick meal

But too much mercury and shit

LiamNeeson'shero
06-03-2012, 01:54 PM
^^^^
the below means its good for consumption

mFFL03
06-03-2012, 01:56 PM
I haven't eaten Tuna in quite sometime. I think its irresponsible and partly fear that I'm not really eating tuna. There have been reports for years about "fake tuna" or the fish escolar that has the same color, but terrible side effects on the human body.

This article dates back to 2009:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/11/tunadna/

Fabbs
06-03-2012, 03:31 PM
I haven't eaten Tuna in quite sometime. I think its irresponsible and partly fear that I'm not really eating tuna. There have been reports for years about "fake tuna" or the fish escolar that has the same color, but terrible side effects on the human body.

This article dates back to 2009:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/11/tunadna/
Props for the article.

Over half the sushi joints were pumping out crappy fake stuff, wow.