PDA

View Full Version : How to combat switches on the pick and roll?

Dex
06-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Ever since the Thunder started switching on every pick and roll in the 4th quarter of game 2, the Spurs offense has looked slightly anemic.

Obviously, this tactic only works if you have the personnel to do it without creating monster mismatches, but the Thunder definitely do...especially when they are playing small. The biggest mismatch the Spurs can create in those situations is either Tony on Ibaka, who is quick enough to at least try to keep up and has the length to bother both Tony's layups and jumper, or Tim/Tiago on a small in the post, where they have been struggling.

However, aside the mismatch standpoint, what are the reasons why teams don't use this tactic more exclusively? If switching the pick and roll is so effective, why haven't we seen more of this up to this point?

There must be other holes or opportunities created when an opponent decides to switch...what are those? How can the Spurs attack this tactic and try to play it to their advantage?

Discuss.

CosmicCowboy
06-01-2012, 03:06 PM
They are also cheating off our wings to clog passing lanes. Bigs go to the rack and wing goes baseline.

benstanfield
06-01-2012, 03:59 PM
On paper it SHOULDN'T work.

Ginobili SHOULD be able to take Ibaka/Perkins whenever they switch to him. He negates this advantage if he takes a pull up 3 every time this happens (see:last night).

Our bigs SHOULD be able to score on Fisher/Durant/Harden down low. They negate this advantage by getting weak position and weak ass offensive foul calls. Also, Firecrotch being in the game becomes a disadvantage if they can switch off his picks freely and stick WNBA players on him.

Richie
06-01-2012, 04:07 PM
If Tony/Manu get shut down on the perimeter by Ibaka/Perkins again, we are in big trouble (no pun intended)

LongtimeSpursFan
06-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Bigs need to slip the screen. Switching defenders can lose track of their responsibilities. Also, switching creates a lot of activity at top of key so back door cuts are more available. Can also bring Tony off screens on the wing and or corners so he is only face 2-3 defender as opposed to 5 defenders if they in a semi 1-2-2 defense.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Bigs need to slip the screen. Switching defenders can lose track of their responsibilities. Also, switching creates a lot of activity at top of key so back door cuts are more available. Can also bring Tony off screens on the wing and or corners so he is only face 2-3 defender as opposed to 5 defenders if they in a semi 1-2-2 defense.

therealtruth
06-01-2012, 05:56 PM

Ginobili SHOULD be able to take Ibaka/Perkins whenever they switch to him. He negates this advantage if he takes a pull up 3 every time this happens (see:last night).

Our bigs SHOULD be able to score on Fisher/Durant/Harden down low. They negate this advantage by getting weak position and weak ass offensive foul calls. Also, Firecrotch being in the game becomes a disadvantage if they can switch off his picks freely and stick WNBA players on him.

It depends. If the big backs up too far you take the open shot but if the big is too close you blow by them. Ginobili has got to force Perkins to back off too far before he shoots or beat him of the dribble if he doesn't back off far enough.

GrandeDavid
06-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Need to cut hard to the basket, need sharp timing and will find video game easy cut shots for a second, but that window closes quickly. Boy I hope our guys are sharp tomorrow.

lefty
06-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Start with a high pick and roll, then follow with a 2nd one

The Spurs used to do that very well

Spurs4#5
06-01-2012, 06:18 PM
one thing i would do...is during practice i would have duncan and jax trap parker on the pick and roll aggressively and come up with a play out of that...break that trap that the thunder are throwing at parker and move the ball the way the know how to and everything else will be gravy...the switches dont bother me as much...ball movement is the key to the spurs success

therealtruth
06-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Need to cut hard to the basket, need sharp timing and will find video game easy cut shots for a second, but that window closes quickly. Boy I hope our guys are sharp tomorrow.

The winning streak covered up the fact that the Spurs were not sharp on offense and going against weaker defenses. The Spurs will have to be sharp on offense if the Thunder play inspired defense again.

therealtruth
06-01-2012, 06:28 PM
one thing i would do...is during practice i would have duncan and jax trap parker on the pick and roll aggressively and come up with a play out of that...break that trap that the thunder are throwing at parker and move the ball the way the know how to and everything else will be gravy...the switches dont bother me as much...ball movement is the key to the spurs success

The Clippers attacked the pick and roll aggressively and the Spurs handled it just fine.

ballhog
06-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Only works if the refs won't call fouls on OKC

100%duncan
06-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Every time Ibaka switches to TP or Manu, they should attack the basket or past it to the roller, or call for another pick and shoot an open jumper. Just what TP did on game 2.

DMC
06-01-2012, 09:10 PM
They are daring us to make 3's. We see that and are trying to have it our way with the short jumper or drive into the lane. We have wide open looks. We need to take them.

AFBlue
06-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Keep moving the ball. Just because one mismatch is exposed doesn't mean it's the best one. Passing is the Spurs' biggest strength and they should negate it by going one-on-one after a switch.

eyeh8u
06-02-2012, 12:19 AM
cut the brakes on the team bus

Wild Cobra Kai
06-02-2012, 07:11 AM
1. Take the ball out of Tony's hands, and have him run the baseline, a la Ray Allen. RUN THABO'S FUCKING LEGS OFF trying to keep up. He's a MUCH better on the ball defender than off the ball, and the bonus is tired legs lead to short shots.

2, When they go small, IMMEDIATELY move Tim to the high post and post up Diaw on Durant. Diaw can score in the paint, or be the spoke of the wheel, finding cutters and spot up shooters. Back him down, Make him use his legs to hold post position. Tired legs lead to short shots. Playing Diaw on the perimeter against KD plays to KD's strengths. Playing Diaw in the post plays to KD's weaknesses. He's not strong at all, and Diaw has that big ol' butt to keep banging into him and backing him down.

naico
06-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Adjust match ups, don't set picks as high, fast ball movement, back door off the ball picks.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Duncan/Diaw pick and roll. Tim is having to work WAY to hard to get post position. Diaw, Bonner, or even Jack could set a back pick on Perkins to free up TImmy for some DEEP post position.

Danny.Zhu
06-02-2012, 08:09 AM

This.

szkorhetz
06-02-2012, 08:28 AM
We should use off-the ball screens. When we are on the ball, it should be led by Green, Gino or Jackson (Neal... :S ). When you switch, you always give up a moment for the offense to make a three. Theese guys should fire the three in that slight moment. This is our only chance.

DMC
06-02-2012, 01:23 PM
1. Take the ball out of Tony's hands, and have him run the baseline, a la Ray Allen. RUN THABO'S FUCKING LEGS OFF trying to keep up. He's a MUCH better on the ball defender than off the ball, and the bonus is tired legs lead to short shots.

Ok, so who handles the ball? When the double team comes, mediocre ball handlers will turn it over.

2, When they go small, IMMEDIATELY move Tim to the high post and post up Diaw on Durant. Diaw can score in the paint, or be the spoke of the wheel, finding cutters and spot up shooters. Back him down, Make him use his legs to hold post position. Tired legs lead to short shots. Playing Diaw on the perimeter against KD plays to KD's strengths. Playing Diaw in the post plays to KD's weaknesses. He's not strong at all, and Diaw has that big ol' butt to keep banging into him and backing him down.I like keeping people in the perimeter to contest the break.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but our screens were weak in game 3. I saw Diaw leave the screen early on several occasions to roll to the basket. That left the ball handler in a bad spot and led to turnovers.

Reduce the passing in the paint. It looks good on a two on one, but in congested situations, don't attempt risky passes.

Basic shit high school players should know. Protect the ball, clean crisp passes, get open looks, know the plays, find your spots, hard cuts, get back in transition... blah blah blah.

spursfanincolorado
06-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Ok, so who handles the ball? When the double team comes, mediocre ball handlers will turn it over.
I like keeping people in the perimeter to contest the break.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but our screens were weak in game 3. I saw Diaw leave the screen early on several occasions to roll to the basket. That left the ball handler in a bad spot and led to turnovers.

Reduce the passing in the paint. It looks good on a two on one, but in congested situations, don't attempt risky passes.

Basic shit high school players should know. Protect the ball, clean crisp passes, get open looks, know the plays, find your spots, hard cuts, get back in transition... blah blah blah.

+1

I mean this is professional basketball, I see our ball handlers leave their feet and have to attempt a risky desperate pass. Ginobili, Neal are the main culprits.

Is it me or does everyone cringe when Bonner pump fakes a three has no apparent pass and tries to drive???

therealtruth
06-02-2012, 04:36 PM

I think they have to continue attacking Westbrook on defense. He can't rest on the 2 guard.

ViceCity86
06-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Parker manning up and blowing by that scrub Thabo.

wut
06-02-2012, 05:03 PM
not going to happen without help, as mentioned earlier Spurs need to do a double pick-n-roll to get Parker started....again once Parker has his confidence of burning his man he remains aggressive the rest of the game, so you only need to run a couple double pick-n-rolls to confuse the defense enough to get Parker going.

Proxy
06-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Take advantage down low. Tim, Tiago, Boris, Blair... all need to take advantage of the mismatch and make the right pass if the defense collapses. Spurs will make them pay tonight.

z0sa
06-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Simply punish the mismatches. It means a different dynamic than simply abusing a screen, but it is actually a gimmicky strategy IMHO that will not work for more than this last game... provided the Spurs take advantage of course.

MannyIsGod
06-02-2012, 06:04 PM

Exactly.

If Perkins is on the floor, he should be involved in every PnR. Manu can't let Perkins block him at the 3 point line. Likewise, Tiago has to go straight to the basket and not try to post up on Fisher on the wing.

If the switch was some magical way to defend the PnR then the PnR would not be the best play in basketball history. When a switch occurs, you get mismatches. Its up the Spurs not to play stupid and to take advantage of those mismatches and to move the ball and make sagging defenders pay.

MannyIsGod
06-02-2012, 06:05 PM

2, When they go small, IMMEDIATELY move Tim to the high post and post up Diaw on Durant. Diaw can score in the paint, or be the spoke of the wheel, finding cutters and spot up shooters. Back him down, Make him use his legs to hold post position. Tired legs lead to short shots. Playing Diaw on the perimeter against KD plays to KD's strengths. Playing Diaw in the post plays to KD's weaknesses. He's not strong at all, and Diaw has that big ol' butt to keep banging into him and backing him down.

I actually like #1 a lot. The problem is the lack of ball handlers on this team. You can do that when Manu is in the game but I'm not sure you can do it many other times.

MannyIsGod
06-02-2012, 06:07 PM
The Spurs need to play faster also. And I'm not talking more possessions (although they need to do that too), I'm talking about getting down and start screening with 18-20 seconds on the shot clock and not with 12-14. The Spurs will likely need to run multiple screens and move the ball around a good deal in order to get an open shot off the OKC rotations and that simply can't be done as efficiently if you're starting too late in the shot clock.