PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Spurs players of all time:(even taking the rings out of the equation)

BadMotorscooter
06-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Gilmore
Manu

BadMotorscooter
06-01-2012, 08:25 PM
And let me just say this...I love Parker...Sean...Avery...Moore...Alvin...but I've seen them all and these are the guys that I pick as my top 5. It is what it is. I would love to see your top 5.....its all opinion.

BatManu20
06-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Manu
Parker

Then Gilmore, Elliott, and Moore

dakota_spursfan
06-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Manu
Parker

100%duncan
06-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Drob
TD
Manu
Bowen
Gervin

-21-
06-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Manu
Parker

SA210
06-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Drob
TD
Manu
Bowen
Gervin

This

Russo21
06-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Depends if you're talking 5 best players or what would be the best starting lineup?

Robinson
Duncan
Bowen
Gervin
Parker

Would be a pretty nasty lineup. Kickass defensive frontcourt, with balanced inside and outside scoring shooting and slashing. No weakness offensive or defensive.

Then you can have Gilmore and Manu coming off the bench

spursparker9
06-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Robinson
Duncan
Rodman
Gervin
Manu

Did Moses Malone played for the spurs before?

Kidd K
06-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Parker above Gilmore easily. Gilmore wasn't here that long and the best years of his career weren't here.

Rodman does not belong even in the top 10 list imo. Do you guys forget the terrible defense he played in '95, or the basically intentional fouls he was committing right after the coach chewed him out for his terrible defense? Yeah, I don't.

spursparker9
06-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Parker above Gilmore easily. Gilmore wasn't here that long and the best years of his career weren't here.

Rodman does not belong even in the top 10 list imo. Do you guys forget the terrible defense he played in '95, or the basically intentional fouls he was committing right after the coach chewed him out for his terrible defense? Yeah, I don't.

oh. sorry i started watching the spurs from the 2002-2003 seasons. Before that, i didn't subsribe to sport package in my country.

Sean Cagney
06-02-2012, 01:11 AM
I love all of this but no way in HELL D ROB is above TD all times, sentimental value and so on and I grew up on D ROB and he is a legend to me, but dude never had that IT Duncan had in his prime! Spurs fans I love you guys but Duncan is our #1 all times, easily.

baseline bum
06-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Picking a top 5 is easy as hell: you just choose the Hall of Famers.

Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Ginobili
Parker

TwelveGs210
06-02-2012, 10:09 AM
LMAO @ Rodman. If we are talking most flamboyant Spur, absolutely.

Duncan
Robinson
Parker
Manu
Gervin

If we limit to the top 5 of the current gen, then sub Gervin for Bowen, because we don't win 3 of those titles without lockdown perimiter D.

ginobili fan
06-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Tim
DRob
Manu
Gervin
Parker

SenorSpur
06-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Ginobili
Parker
Silas

Drachen
06-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Manu
Parker

Jesus, what a machine this would be. The first thought I have is SCORING, but this would also be an way above average (though not elite) defense.

MannyIsGod
06-02-2012, 11:11 AM
:lmao @ people leaving Parker out.

MannyIsGod
06-02-2012, 11:11 AM
For Gilmore its more acceptable than for Bowen, BTW. I LOVE Bowen but you're just being stupid when you rank Bowen above Parker.

Kuestmaster
06-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Timmy
DRob
Gervin
Manu
Parker

DRob was great, all time great, but cmon, Duncan is our best player ever. Period

rascal
06-02-2012, 12:39 PM
This

Bowen ahead of Gervin!
You are too young to know Gervin.

DMC
06-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Tim Duncan
Bruce

Everyone else

Bartleby
06-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Top 5 all time would be

Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Ginobili
Parker

If I could do a top 5 all time defensive lineup, it would be

Duncan
Robinson
Leonard (yeah, I think he's going to be that good).
Bowen
Robertson

cutewizard
06-02-2012, 02:12 PM
1) Duncan
2) Robinson
3) Manu, yes, Manu is third!
4) Gervin
5) Parker

but if you include Dennis the Menace as a Spur, it becomes

1) Duncan
2) Robinson
3) Manu
4) Dennis Rodman
5) Gervin

i know, i know, not enough years for Rodman to be considered here, but heck he was the greatest all-around defensive forward in the universe.....this guy could probably compete with the reptilians of planet Nibiru!

hahahahahaha

cutewizard
06-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Top 5 all time would be

Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Ginobili
Parker

If I could do a top 5 all time defensive lineup, it would be

Duncan
Robinson
Leonard (yeah, I think he's going to be that good).
Bowen
Robertson

How about The Worm Dennis Rodman? hmmmm

timvp
06-02-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm going to pretend I didn't see some of the posts in this thread. Thanks.

jag
06-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Easy

Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Parker
Manu

lol people putting Manu above Parker. Maybe if Manu were capable of playing an entire season.

DAF86
06-02-2012, 02:26 PM
The soon to be two times finals MVP can't be left out, imho.

DAF86
06-02-2012, 02:33 PM
lol people putting Manu above Parker. Maybe if Manu were capable of playing an entire season.

lol at questioning religion.

cutewizard
06-02-2012, 02:35 PM

lol

cutewizard
06-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Easy

Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Parker
Manu

you add Manu's international game (FIBA) game accomplishments and he is far beyond even Kobe, and Wade in that respect, hmmmmmm

DAF86
06-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Assuming that's true. That has to do with the Spurs how?

cutewizard
06-02-2012, 02:40 PM
why do some basketball fans ALWAYS ignore the international game?

Duncan and Manu are the only Spurs to have won Olympic gold medals, am I right?

cutewizard
06-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Assuming that's true. That has to do with the Spurs how?

you know the meaning of FRACTAL????

im belaboring the point, but hell yeah

Kuestmaster
06-02-2012, 02:43 PM

Duncan didn't. Robinson did.

DAF86
06-02-2012, 02:44 PM

No, you're not.

cutewizard
06-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Duncan didn't. Robinson did.

sorry, sorry

mea culpa...(my fault)

Matty2Cool
06-02-2012, 03:52 PM
this thread smells of new spurs fans ie last 10-15 years only

MmP
06-02-2012, 04:02 PM
As much rant of 'new spurs fans' it can be, Tony and Manu has to be in this list imo.

johnnySpurs
06-02-2012, 04:54 PM
This isn't as easy as it seems. When I think of a Spurs defensive team that includes:

Robinson
Duncan
Bowen
Robertson
Silas??

This would be a fearsome defensive squad that also boasts a pretty strong offensive competency. Also, DRob and Robertson are 2 of only 4 players in NBA history to achieve a quad-double

Compared to an offensive focused team of:

Robinson
Duncan
Gervin
Manu
Parker

George W Bush
06-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Bonner
Matty
Red Rocket
Matt Bonner
New Balance

-Blake

TwelveGs210
06-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Ginobili
Parker
Silas

That's six my man.

tesseractive
06-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Parker
Manu

This. Depending on whether he can submit several more seasons like this past one, Parker has a shot at displacing Gervin on my scorecard.

The rest of a 12-man roster:

Silas
Rodman
Gilmore
Sean El liot
Robertson
Bowen
Moore

Jimcs50
06-02-2012, 05:48 PM

:toast

First team(By position)

DRob Center

Duncan Power Forward

Ice Shooting Guard

Parker Point Guard

Mike Mitchell Small Forward

2nd Team:

ArtisGilmore Center

Terry Cummings Power Forward

Manu Shooting Guard

Johnny Moore Point Guard

Sean Elliott Small Forward

This is it, no arguments.

jestersmash
06-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Easy

Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Parker
Manu

Agree with this one.

Gervin is well before my time (hell, prime David Robinson is also before my time), but just looking at his stats, I could probably see a case for Gervin over Robinson.

Jimcs50
06-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Agree with this one.

Gervin is well before my time (hell, prime David Robinson is also before my time), but just looking at his stats, I could probably see a case for Gervin over Robinson.

You are not qualified to vote if DRob is before your time.

:p:

ducks
06-02-2012, 05:56 PM

this thread was about top 5 spur players not what they did outside of spurs

MannyIsGod
06-02-2012, 05:59 PM
As much rant of 'new spurs fans' it can be, Tony and Manu has to be in this list imo.

The only top 5 Spur not to have played in that time period is Gervin. Gilmore was good, but he's not going to pass up Manu and Parker who will go down as having only played for the Spurs and both have carried this team at times (and very deep into the post season).

:lmao @ anyone including Rodman in that list. Rodman was amazing at killing a break as he showed off the fucking ball and ask Robert Horry how much of a Rodman fan he is.

tesseractive
06-02-2012, 05:59 PM
:toast

First team(By position)

DRob Center

Duncan Power Forward

Ice Shooting Guard

Parker Point Guard

Mike Mitchell Small Forward

2nd Team:

ArtisGilmore Center

Rodman Power Forward

Manu Shooting Guard

Johnny Moore Point Guard

Sean Elliott Small Forward

This is it, no arguments.

Both are before my time, but I'm curious if you could tell me more about picking Moore over Silas. I've read a few pretty awesome things about Silas, especially before his injury, but I honestly don't know nearly as much anout Moore other than that he made the '81 All-Star team.

MannyIsGod
06-02-2012, 06:00 PM
As a Spur, Malik Rose >>>>>>>> Rodman

Jimcs50
06-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Both are before my time, but I'm curious if you could tell me more about picking Moore over Silas. I've read a few pretty awesome things about Silas, especially before his injury, but I honestly don't know nearly as much anout Moore other than that he made the '81 All-Star team.

Silas was awesome in ABA, but once Spurs merged into NBA, he was injured too often and was only half his self because of the knee injuries.

Moore averaged over 10 assists for his career as a Spur. Moore also got his career derailed by contracting Desert Fever, and after that he was not near the player he once was. When he was healthy, he was probably the best passer from the guard position of any player to wear a Spurs uinform. He was awesome.

silverblk mystix
06-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Bonner
Matty
Red Rocket
Matt Bonner
New Balance

-Blake

Not surprised.

rascal
06-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Easy

Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Parker
Manu

Same list as I have it. Gervin and Robinson are close and can be interchanged. No Gervin the team folds during the merger.

rascal
06-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Silas was awesome in ABA, but once Spurs merged into NBA, he was injured too often and was only half his self because of the knee injuries.

Moore averaged over 10 assists for his career as a Spur. Moore also got his career derailed by contracting Desert Fever, and after that he was not near the player he once was. When he was healthy, he was probably the best passer from the guard position of any player to wear a Spurs uinform. He was awesome.

Silas was a better player at his height than Moore. Silas was clutch.

rascal
06-02-2012, 06:31 PM
you add Manu's international game (FIBA) game accomplishments and he is far beyond even Kobe, and Wade in that respect, hmmmmmm

Can't do that. It is the NBA and the years with the Spurs we are talking about here. Parker above Manu.

rascal
06-02-2012, 06:36 PM
This. Depending on whether he can submit several more seasons like this past one, Parker has a shot at displacing Gervin on my scorecard.

The rest of a 12-man roster:

Silas
Rodman
Gilmore
Sean El liot
Robertson
Bowen
Moore

Rodman was a joke and cost the Spurs a chance in the playoffs with a bad attitude. Should be no where on this list. Larry Kenon the most under appreciated Spur is ahead of Bowen, Gilmore(who was past his better years when with the Spurs) and Rodman. Bowen was a result of being on championship teams and the thread clearly said taking the rings out of the equation.

tesseractive
06-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Rodman was a joke and cost the Spurs a chance in the playoffs with a bad attitude. Should be no where on this list. Larry Kenon the most under appreciated Spur is ahead of Bowen, Gilmore(who was past his better years when with the Spurs) and Rodman. Bowen was a result of being on championship teams and the thread clearly said taking the rings out of the equation.

Really, you're right. I was thinking in terms of playing ability, but in terms of his actual value to the Spurs, he rates below Bonner or Oberto. Bonner doesn't contribute that much really, but he's never had a high negative value either.

Jimcs50
06-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Silas was a better player at his height than Moore. Silas was clutch.

If you count ABA, then maybe, but as I said, he missed more games than he played in the NBA. Moore was a much better passer, and therefore I give him the nod

Jimcs50
06-02-2012, 06:56 PM

For two seasons, his rebounding was highest of any Spur in history, but you're right, he cost us the chance to win the title with his shannanagans and probably cost Bob Hill's job.

Therefore, I do not put him on my list as top Spur out of the PF position.

Screw Rodman.