PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Mavs vs 2012 Spurs

InRareForm
06-01-2012, 09:02 PM
who wins?

Mavs had a better defense.

Offense while much different, also similiar with both teams taking a lot of jumpshots. I will say Offenses are a draw. Yes, DAL got hot from the perimeter at the right time, but they also had Dirk playing unstoppable.

Based upon that if Spurs had HCA,

Spurs in 7.

Venti Quattro
06-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Dallas in 6 whether they have home court or not.

BlackSwordsMan
06-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Dallas are the spurs' demons

100%duncan
06-01-2012, 09:15 PM
dude win the championship before you start comparing yourselves to great championship teams

He got a point.

ElNono
06-01-2012, 09:16 PM
defense wins... plus they have some swagger guys like Stevenson...

midnightpulp
06-01-2012, 09:30 PM
dude win the championship before you start comparing yourselves to great championship teams

This.

I think if the Spurs respond strongly to OKC's adjustments, which made the Spurs seemingly unstoppable offense look like dog shit, win the series and then go on to beat a healthy Miami squad (Bosh should be back by the Finals), we can consider them one of the all-time great teams.

I fear OKC might've figured them out. And no, this isn't "hurr durr, GNSF wrist cutting pessimism." OKC has taken away the Spurs' deadly pick-and-roll by putting Thabo on Parker and packing the paint, essentially taking away the "roll" in that situation. Doing this, OKC takes away the inside but leaves the Spurs' shooters open, so it's going to come down to Jackson, Leonard, Green, etc making shots to regain the floor spacing needed. And no fan of a playoff team with championship aspirations can feel comfortable knowing that much of a burden is on the role players.

It's similar to Jackson beat the Spurs in '04.

KDtrey5
06-01-2012, 09:36 PM
who wins?

Mavs had a better defense.

Offense while much different, also similiar with both teams taking a lot of jumpshots. I will say Offenses are a draw. Yes, DAL got hot from the perimeter at the right time, but they also had Dirk playing unstoppable.

Based upon that if Spurs had HCA,

Spurs in 7.

LOL I can't believe you even putting this spurs team in the same league as the 2011 Mavericks. Dirk would drop 30 at 55% on the spurs because Duncan wouldn't be able to guard him the way he was playing in the playoffs last year. One of the clutchest performance I've ever seen, only if Mark paid jj,steveson and Chandler. No doubt Dirk could of had a second ring.

Juggity
06-01-2012, 09:40 PM
No doubt Dirk could of had a second ring.

"could of"?

Seriously?

:lol

Spursfan092120
06-01-2012, 10:10 PM
LOL I can't believe you even putting this spurs team in the same league as the 2011 Mavericks. Dirk would drop 30 at 55% on the spurs because Duncan wouldn't be able to guard him the way he was playing in the playoffs last year. One of the clutchest performance I've ever seen, only if Mark paid jj,steveson and Chandler. No doubt Dirk could of had a second ring.

:lmao at the idea that they would have put this year's Duncan on last year's Dirk. Jack would have guarded Dirk, and gotten in his head, just like he did this year.

MavDynasty
06-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Don't forget ibaka as well

pass1st
06-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Mavs easily.

Spurs this year are all-around good and everybody contributes fairly consistently. They play good team-ball on both sides of the court and show the ongoing trend that teamwork outperforms talent.

The thing is, Mavs were all that last year plus an x-factor: If one of their players were faltering (eg dirk in the finals) somebody else would step up every time (eg Terry in the finals).

Mavs would win in 6, maybe 7 if Duncan anchored consistently the entire series.

irishock
06-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Jack isn't 2007 Jack anymore.

-2011 Dallas went 16-4 against Portland, OKC, LA and Miami.
-Spurs this year drew two cakewalks in the first two rounds.
-Spurs don't have a closer that can match Dirk
-Chandler would average 15 rebounds against Duncan's 4
-Stevenson would neutralize Stephen Jackson

DeadlyDynasty
06-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Jack isn't 2007 Jack anymore.

-2011 Dallas went 16-4 against Portland, OKC, LA and Miami.
-Spurs this year drew two cakewalks in the first two rounds.
-Spurs don't have a closer that can match Dirk
-Chandler would average 15 rebounds against Duncan's 4
-Stevenson would neutralize Stephen Jackson

They went 16-5, but your point remains...they beat all good teams on their way to a title last year. Dallas would win.

KD4MVP
06-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Spurs

#41 Shoot Em Up
06-01-2012, 11:51 PM
The spurs would have to win the championship before this subject is even looked at..... since we know that ain't happening this thread is rather useless. dumbazz nigga

eyeh8u
06-02-2012, 12:13 AM
alot of you are having revisionist history with the mavs, im not predicting who would win, but all they had was a hot dirk, decent defense, and a mentally weak miami team.

DMC
06-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Mavs win. Spurs are still trying to beat the team the Mavs beat in the WCF last year. Let's not talk comparisons to a champ until the Spurs ring.

lurker
06-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Mavs in 5.

I'm depressed now thinking about what we had. :cry :cry

timtonymanu
06-02-2012, 02:09 AM
2011 Mavs, imo.

Jacob1983
06-02-2012, 02:09 AM
Mavs because they did win the championship and the way they did it. They did it with teamwork, rebounding, and great defense. Dirk played the best he ever played in the playoffs last year. He wasn't soft. When the Mavs needed him to go to the basket, he went to the basket ie game 2 winning shot of the Finals. Marion and Stevenson also played great defense against Wade and Lebron.

Juggity
06-02-2012, 02:23 AM
they went through the team you just lost to, also

the revisionist here is you, that team was far better than "decent." my money is on miami waxing your ass

:cry reduced to rooting for the team I hated last year because divisional rival is threatening to add another trophy to an already impressive collection :cry
:cry go Heat :cry
:cry go Lebron :cry
:cry America's team, imo :cry

FkLA
06-02-2012, 02:39 AM
The 11' Mavs arent even that strong of a champion, people just overrate them cause of the MKs strong influence on the NBA forum. It took a historic chokejob from Bron & the Heatles to win the title. Spurs would beat the Mavs in 6, maybe even 5 tbh. They would pick and roll old man Kidd to death.

FkLA
06-02-2012, 02:56 AM
This team is legendary tbh.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2012, 03:06 AM
The Mavs have had no answer for Parker ever since they traded for Kidd. I would favor the Spurs in 6 tbh.

Jacob1983
06-02-2012, 03:32 AM
The Mavs weren't that strong of a champion? Let's take a look at that claim, shall we?

They managed to beat the Blazers in 6 when everybody thought they were going to choke after the collapse in game 4.
They beat a Lakers team that had won the NBA Finals two years in a row and had been to the Finals 3 straight years. The Mavs were also not favored at all in the series against the Lakers.
They played a young fast Thunder in the WCF and beat them in 5.
They played a Heat team that had Wade, Lebron, and Bosh. The Heat had HCA in the Finals and a 2-1 series lead.

The Mavs came back from double digit deficits in games in each of their playoff series last year.

Give the Mavs some damn credit. I know it probably hurts some Spurs' fans to do that.

FkLA
06-02-2012, 03:46 AM
They deserved to be champions. They were obviously a very good team if they were able to accomplish that, but people here act like theyre an all-time great or something. All their opponents were good teams but they also had glaring flaws. Theyre a slighty above average champion tbh which isnt taking credit away from them.

TheRealCB
06-02-2012, 04:35 AM
And your spurs beat Utah J:lolzz and the LA jv team..And now OKC is pushing your shit in..

If Portland and Lakers were flawed,what does that make J:lolzz/Clippers? D-League?

TampaDude
06-02-2012, 07:26 AM
And your spurs beat Utah J:lolzz and the LA jv team..And now OKC is pushing your shit in..

If Portland and Lakers were flawed,what does that make J:lolzz/Clippers? D-League?

4 > 1 forever, niggah. :lol

Latarian Milton
06-02-2012, 08:46 PM
11' mavs were the obvious better team then them spurs this year imho. spurs perimeter D is pretty poor and they're getting exposed tonight, TOSB isn't even half the player he used to be yet he's still the best big they have on their squad. the absence of a defensive big always turns out to be costly tbh

Venti Quattro
06-05-2012, 03:26 PM
The 11' Mavs arent even that strong of a champion, people just overrate them cause of the MKs strong influence on the NBA forum. It took a historic chokejob from Bron & the Heatles to win the title. Spurs would beat the Mavs in 6, maybe even 5 tbh. They would pick and roll old man Kidd to death.
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
06-05-2012, 05:42 PM

And the shitty ones.

FkLA
06-05-2012, 05:48 PM
tbf most of you are lying if you say you actually saw this coming, spurs were clicking on all cylenders and looked poised to atleast reach the Finals.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
06-05-2012, 06:06 PM
tbf most of you are lying if you say you actually saw this coming, spurs were clicking on all cylenders and looked poised to atleast reach the Finals.

Because most teams who win the ship do it on 26 game winning streaks...

FkLA
06-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Because most teams who win the ship do it on 26 game winning streaks...

Nah obviously not. But teams also dont usually lose 3 (or maybe 4) in a row after winning 10 straight playoff games and 20 overall...

Samuel Eto'o
06-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Post pretty much exemplifies what the NBA and David Stern are all about, money. I'm sure all of america would absolutely love to see OKC and Miami. Style over substance, and the continuing disrespect for the Spurs and they're organization. The Spurs in my eyes are what a great "team" is all about. They've played basketball the way it's supposed to be played, not with flash and ego driven superstars. Unfortunately we live in an age were playing sports the correct way isn't shown upon highly. We live in an age where style, and highlight reels rule. All the Spurs want to do is win, they would have fit right in the 80's era. Last night I hear Steve Kerr and Reggie Miller's commentary and it sickened me, the level of disrespect they have for the Spurs. Pretty obviously favoring OKC throughtout the night, and laughing at Westbroks after whistle block on Green. This team is the future of the NBA? These guys are what our kids are going to look up to? It just hurts to know when your team will never be accepted by the country. Now as the Spurs seem to have squandered a golden oppurtunity to head into the Finals, I can't help but feel bad. This Spurs team has just never gotten the respect they deserve, nor have superstars like Tim Duncan and David Robinson. For being great guys and role models that any kid can look up to, they are being hated. I guess since we don't have a rapist on our squad or a man who gave himself a name he does'nt deserve (LeBron), we can't be considered a cool and great team. And as I sit here typing, hoping and praying my Spurs will get they're act together, all I can think of is that no matter what happens Game 6, I will always be a Spurs fan. No one will ever be able to change that.

Axe Murderer
06-05-2012, 08:06 PM
act like theyre an all-time great or something.

Maybe not an all time great but they do deserve serious respect for having one of the toughest playoff runs in NBA history.

Had a pretty tough first round matchup then played 3 title contenders in the next 3 rounds in an era where the NBA is playing at a high level

midnightpulp
06-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Nah. It has nothing to with the MK's influence. They were a well-built team that featured many attributes that are usually a constant with championship teams: a strong interior defense with Chandler and Dirk (yes, Dirk played all out on the defensive end last year. I even made a thread about it after the game in which he shut Bosh down), a strong perimeter defense anchored by Kidd (made Kobe's life hell in the Western Conference Semis) and Marion (played very good against Durant and James), a good bench, and of course, a clutch superstar.

Definitely the strongest champion since the '08 Celtics.

InRareForm
06-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Spurs in 7. I stand by my statement.

#41 Shoot Em Up
06-05-2012, 09:16 PM
This team is legendary tbh.

:lol dumbazz nigga

Texas Chili Dog
06-06-2012, 11:57 PM
lol

http://i39.tinypic.com/2eajs0j.png

mavs>spurs
06-06-2012, 11:59 PM
:lol comparing this team to dallas

Texas Chili Dog
06-07-2012, 12:00 AM

:rollin

:lmao

Jacob1983
06-07-2012, 12:04 AM
I'd have to go with the 2011 Mavs because they walked away with 3 trophies: Western Conference ball, Larry O'Brien Trophy, and the Bill Russell NBA Finals MVP trophy.

KDtrey5
06-07-2012, 12:07 AM

lol get to the finals first then talk about the 2011 mavs :rollin

InRareForm
06-07-2012, 12:12 AM
lol