PDA

View Full Version : Goaltending

Andthentherewas21
06-02-2012, 08:43 PM
This is starting to get ridiculous. OKC has gotten away with at least 1 goaltend per game and its almost always Ibaka. I could understand the 1st maybe even the 2nd given his reputation for blocks, but we are up to 4-5 at this point. That is poor officiating to say the least.

Obviously its not the difference in the game, but its plays into a players head if they know they are going to get screwed every time they try a layup.

Again not blaming the officiating for the Spurs losing, but seriously for "professionals" they've done little to address it.

therealtruth
06-02-2012, 08:50 PM
This is starting to get ridiculous. OKC has gotten away with at least 1 goaltend per game and its almost always Ibaka. I could understand the 1st maybe even the 2nd given his reputation for blocks, but we are up to 4-5 at this point. That is poor officiating to say the least.

Obviously its not the difference in the game, but its plays into a players head if they know they are going to get screwed every time they try a layup.

Again not blaming the officiating for the Spurs losing, but seriously for "professionals" they've done little to address it.

I agree you have to have a way to beat the shotblockers. Too bad we don't have guys who can dunk on Ibaka.

Venti Quattro
06-02-2012, 08:56 PM
The goal tend hasn't made a difference at all in the series. SA and OKC won their games convincingly without the question of a dubious call. So why should now be different?

Mal
06-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Huge blocks could affect on next few posessions played, so yeah, that`s matter.

mercos
06-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Goaltending needs to be added to the list of things that can be checked on instant replay, along with foot position in the restricted zone on charge calls. The number of goaltends that have been missed is a bit disconcerting, and some of them have been very obvious. I believe Stern has said he wants to get rid of goaltending all together, so I don't see any positive changes on the horizon.

Shastafarian
06-02-2012, 10:14 PM
The goal tend hasn't made a difference at all in the series. SA and OKC won their games convincingly without the question of a dubious call. So why should now be different?

So because they haven't "made a difference" it doesn't matter when they're not called? :lol Come on now. Fouls are one thing. There's probably a foul on the majority of NBA plays, especially in the playoffs. It's the ref's discretion on which warrant a call. Goaltends DON'T fit into that category and when 5 (on my count) are missed, that's something to look at. It's something to look at even more so when blocks are a vital part of a player's game, as they are with Ibaka.

Kidd K
06-02-2012, 10:36 PM

When those blocks take away points, and result in fast break buckets to kill potential momentum, it does make a difference.

Game 3, Ibaka got away with TWO goaltends at the end of the 3rd when it would've been cut to a 9 point game had they each been called. Instead, no call + fast break = 17 point game instead.

Tonight, same shit. Goaltend + fast break = 4 point swing. Game was close as fuck and those kinds of calls (and there was a lot OKC got away with) destroys any chances of coming back or winning. OKC never lost momentum at any point due to the whistle in either of the last two games. The whistle has worked against SA, destroying their momentum at least half a dozen times.

Calls make a huge difference, even when they're non calls on obvious violations. Nothing's more depressing than getting fouled or goaltended, not getting the call, then refs calling a bogus ticky tack foul on the other end for FTAs, then calling a charge call on the other end when the Thunder player was moving AND in the circle to not only cause a turnover but take away your basket too. What is more deflating that that?

Refs take away your ability to win the game when they do that. Even though on paper is just 2 FTAs (or even 0), the refs are still taking away 4-6 points and giving possessions to the other team. It kills the game.

Tbh, I can't see how anybody can enjoy watching OKC when they're clearly winning fixed games.

DeadlyDynasty
06-02-2012, 10:36 PM
:cry

Andthentherewas21
06-02-2012, 10:38 PM

Though I agree with your Olivia Wilde stance, I have to respectfully disagree with you on the goaltending calls. I'm not saying it drastically changes the boxscore or even the outcome of the game. But in a game where you whittle the lead down to 4 points, suddenly those 2 you didn't get off a goal-tend become pretty important. Especially if the opposing team goes down on the other end and scores off the "blocked" shot.

Those are momentum shifts, and they play into the overall flow of the game. Furthermore as a player, when you know your getting hosed night in and night out, its going to change how you operate, so suddenly your hesitant to layup the ball and end up with some fallaway shot.

It comes to the point where, in regards to the goaltends, the Spurs have put the onus on the officials (like your suppose to do) and they have failed to respond.

Shastafarian
06-02-2012, 10:45 PM
I wish my team had won two games against the Thunder

It is pretty nice. But Spurs are going for 4.

DeadlyDynasty
06-02-2012, 10:47 PM
My team lost fair and square. In each of the 4 losses I accepted it though, rather than whine like a petulant child about the officiating.:lol

Floyd Pacquiao
06-02-2012, 10:49 PM
goaltending was a factor no doubt

Shastafarian
06-02-2012, 10:50 PM
My team lost fair and square. In each of the 4 losses I accepted it though, rather than whine like a petulant child about the officiating.:lol

I'm not whining about officiating. I'm saying they missed calls and it should probably be looked at. Didn't cause the loss. What you are doing is trying to get a rise out of another team's fans. Usually that's fine but you're a Lakers fan. So out of instinct we all hate you. Plus your team only got 1 win :lol

Knoxxx
06-02-2012, 10:52 PM
When those blocks take away points, and result in fast break buckets to kill potential momentum, it does make a difference.

Game 3, Ibaka got away with TWO goaltends at the end of the 3rd when it would've been cut to a 9 point game had they each been called. Instead, no call + fast break = 17 point game instead.

Tonight, same shit. Goaltend + fast break = 4 point swing. Game was close as fuck and those kinds of calls (and there was a lot OKC got away with) destroys any chances of coming back or winning. OKC never lost momentum at any point due to the whistle in either of the last two games. The whistle has worked against SA, destroying their momentum at least half a dozen times.

Calls make a huge difference, even when they're non calls on obvious violations. Nothing's more depressing than getting fouled or goaltended, not getting the call, then refs calling a bogus ticky tack foul on the other end for FTAs, then calling a charge call on the other end when the Thunder player was moving AND in the circle to not only cause a turnover but take away your basket too. What is more deflating that that?

Refs take away your ability to win the game when they do that. Even though on paper is just 2 FTAs (or even 0), the refs are still taking away 4-6 points and giving possessions to the other team. It kills the game.

Tbh, I can't see how anybody can enjoy watching OKC when they're clearly winning fixed games.

Home cooking is par for the course. Refs just get caught up in the energy of the home crowd. Let's just hope its our turn for that Monday.

I agree that the momentum impact matters but fixed is a bit much. We just need better effort and execution and this game was there for the taking. Poor team rebounding -10 have to do better there.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-02-2012, 10:55 PM
:cry

spurs1990
06-02-2012, 10:57 PM

I just realized your UN is Spanish for Bryant's jersey number.

How very absent minded of me.

Yuixafun
06-02-2012, 11:19 PM
I agree you have to have a way to beat the shotblockers. Too bad we don't have guys who can dunk on Ibaka.

This, my buddy and I were commenting, Diaw is good, but sure would be nice if we had a big man that would slam it.

spursnatic
06-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Yes it is getting a bit ridiculous...I only seen 1 tonight, but I didn't watch all of the game do to Poor Officiating...But I seen 3 last game and that is no bullshit

mudyez
06-03-2012, 07:52 AM
okc amnestied ibaka's goaltending.

we should use ours on manu's turnovers.

The Reckoning
06-03-2012, 07:56 AM
spurs shouldnt put themselves in position to be goal tended. i prefer non calls over BS calls anyday.

hooperflash
06-03-2012, 08:01 AM

Momentum

will_spurs
06-03-2012, 08:40 AM
spurs shouldnt put themselves in position to be goal tended.

And how so? Any NBA center can alter the course of a shot when it's going downward. It's just ridiculous.

100%duncan
06-03-2012, 08:44 AM
you all weren't crying whenever ibaka was grabbing jasin terry's shit right out of the air :lmao

Why should we? We want that fuck to disappear from Earth.

The Reckoning
06-03-2012, 08:50 AM
And how so? Any NBA center can alter the course of a shot when it's going downward. It's just ridiculous.

soft floaters over the center's head for one

Shastafarian
06-03-2012, 09:02 AM
3-4 of the missed calls were actually not floaters but shots that were altered after hitting the backboard.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-03-2012, 09:17 AM
3-4 of the missed calls were actually not floaters but shots that were altered after hitting the backboard.

Ding. That's not even a judgement area.

Shastafarian
06-03-2012, 09:31 AM

Right it goes back to what I was saying about fouls too. It's pretty difficult to assess the arc of a ball traveling in real time. So goaltending on balls in the air is almost in the same category as fouls because it's a judgement call more or less. Off the backboard is a different story. Those only don't get called if the Refs aren't watching/don't care. I'm not an expert on positioning, but I would assume there is a referee on or near the baseline. So...maybe we should send them all glasses :lol

Wild Cobra Kai
06-03-2012, 12:05 PM
:p: It'll be amazing, though. Suddenly, those calls will be made in game 5, along with a few fouls on OKC defenders.

KD4MVP
06-03-2012, 12:29 PM
I only saw one goal-tend, the one where he did on Parker, aside from that, the rest were clean blocks.

And they made up for it with a travel on Harden.

Refs weren't that bad, yes, OKC got more calls, but it's not like it was 50-29 in FT's like Mia/Bos Game 2.

I think it was...

20 fouls on SA (with some of those late in the game when SA had to foul), 15 fouls on OKC.

21 FT's for OKC, 16 FT's for SA.

weebo
06-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Botched calls are made in every game. Sometimes these calls will go for or against your team. Its the human element part of officiating. Obviously these non calls or calls are more noticeable when your team is on the losing end. If we go back and look at the first two games the Spurs won, I am pretty sure we can nit pick a call or two that went in our favor or against us.

Bottom line is we lost fair and square. OKC played harder and because their bigs played great we lost. The refs had nothing to do with it.

The Reckoning
06-03-2012, 12:42 PM
:cry but they missed atleast five calls :cry

:cry it lost the game for us :cry

Shastafarian
06-03-2012, 12:56 PM
I only saw one goal-tend, the one where he did on Parker, aside from that, the rest were clean blocks.

Refs weren't that bad, yes, OKC got more calls, but it's not like it was 50-29 in FT's like Mia/Bos Game 2.

I think it was...

20 fouls on SA (with some of those late in the game when SA had to foul), 15 fouls on OKC.

The goaltending non-calls I was talking about were spread out through the 4 games. Not game changers but it's still pretty lousy.

Budkin
06-03-2012, 02:24 PM
you all weren't crying whenever ibaka was grabbing jasin terry's shit right out of the air :lmao

This should all be obvious to any fan of any sport now. It's fine when it happens against teams you are rooting against but not to your own team. There's really nothing you can do about it.

DMC
06-03-2012, 02:28 PM
You don't make up for missed calls on one end by missing another at the other end. That's two missed calls.

Refs should leave the "fairness" factor out of the game and call what they see, regardless of the situation or the player or the time left on the clock or the importance of the call.

Goaltending should be reviewable.

Any infraction that adds or removes points should be reviewable if it's challenged.

The Reckoning
06-03-2012, 02:38 PM
awful idea. reviewing would add another hour to a "fast paced" game that is already burdened by calls and unnecessary timeouts.

Andthentherewas21
06-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Botched calls are made in every game. Sometimes these calls will go for or against your team. Its the human element part of officiating. Obviously these non calls or calls are more noticeable when your team is on the losing end. If we go back and look at the first two games the Spurs won, I am pretty sure we can nit pick a call or two that went in our favor or against us.

Bottom line is we lost fair and square. OKC played harder and because their bigs played great we lost. The refs had nothing to do with it.

Again, I have no problem with the foul calls. The game is reffed subjectively so obviously its not going to be completely fair. The home team is going to get some foul calls, and that is why you want homecourt.

The problem is that the goaltending issue has been on-going throughout the series and hasn't been addressed by the league or the refs. Its also not an issue that is completely subjective. If you pin the ball against the glass it is a goaltend, plain and simple. Its been done in every game in the series and it hasn't been called once. (Ironically Ibaka was called of a goaltend on a floater though which is the more subjective of the two goaltending calls)

It's not a matter of a call going for or against a team, its a matter of a repeated missed call and highlights a tendency in officiating that is only negatively impacting the Spurs.

The two games the Spurs lost, they lost. The refs didn't lose it for them. But over the course of the series those calls have resulted in -7 points for the Spurs (Fisher had a 3 called a 2, so that is why its not -8).

DMC
06-03-2012, 02:58 PM
awful idea. reviewing would add another hour to a "fast paced" game that is already burdened by calls and unnecessary timeouts.

So accuracy is a bad idea. Just live with the fact then that the refs control the outcome of the game and their word is unquestionable.

Fabbs
06-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Shastafarian

Remedied in two seconds if Stern and the NBPLA would add this as a replay.
Spare me the b.s. about how much time it would take. We see conclusive replay at home instantly. The NBA could do the same thing with a courtside ref with acess to replay.

DMC
06-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Shastafarian

Remedied in two seconds if Stern and the NBPLA would add this as a replay.
Spare me the b.s. about how much time it would take. We see conclusive replay at home instantly. The NBA could do the same thing with a courtside ref with acess to replay.
I don't get it either. Refs make a split second call or lack thereof but it takes 3 refs 10 minutes to watch the same play from 6 different angles to decide on the call.

Manudona
06-03-2012, 03:25 PM
I just realized your UN is Spanish for Bryant's jersey number.

How very absent minded of me.

IF by Spanish you meant Italian then you had realized something :P

therealtruth
06-03-2012, 11:05 PM
TP's got to throw his body into the shotblocker.

SpursFaninMS
06-04-2012, 12:39 PM

I think it was...

Three on Parker (Game 1, Game 3, Game 4): All trapped off the bank
One on Ginobili (Game 3): Little floating putback from about 6-8 feet out on the way down

I think there might been another Parker bank in Game 3.

Game Four Non-GT on Tony: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/6/2/3060099/serge-ibaka-goaltend