PDA

View Full Version : Manu Starting

Spur|n|Austin
06-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Per Ernie on TNT's pregame show..

baseline bum
06-04-2012, 07:39 PM
I hate this move. It's going to kill the bench unit, and the bench is why this team is two wins from the Finals.

Leetonidas
I called it

timvp
Cool. Let's hope it works. I would have given Green one more half but at least this way Ginobili will actually play more than 25 minutes.

Dex
06-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Not sure I like it.

I've always been more comfortable with Manu coming off the bench.

Brings the spark off the bench. Can re-invigorate the team if they start slow. Doesn't have to share the ball with Tony and Tim so much. Keeps the lineups consistent. Keeps a star on the floor at all times.

Plus this could hurt Green's confidence, as if he wasn't already in a free-fall.

Let's hope against a dive once the bench unit takes over.

Small Fundamental
06-04-2012, 07:40 PM
I hate this move. It's going to kill the bench unit, and the bench is why this team is two wins from the Finals.Our bench is deeper than one player as good as Manu is.

stxspurs
06-04-2012, 07:42 PM
http://www.ipfwcommunicator.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/oh-snap.jpg

TDomination
Not sure I like it.

Brings the spark off the bench. Can re-invigorate the team if they start slow. Doesn't have to share the ball with Tony and Tim so much. Keeps the lineups consistent. Keeps a star on the floor at all times.

Plus this could hurt Green's confidence, as if he wasn't already in a free-fall.

Agreed. THe more I think about it, the less I like this move.

ShoogarBear
Yeah, not so sure about this.

timvp
06-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I hate this move. It's going to kill the bench unit, and the bench is why this team is two wins from the Finals.

Tbh, the bench has sucked in the playoffs. The Spurs score the lowest per minute with Manu on the court than any player. That tells me something was probably broken with the alignment.

The only reason I don't like it is because it strikes me a little bit of a panic move ... then again, this is a game the Spurs can't afford to lose so it might be right to panic.

baseline bum
06-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Tbh, the bench has sucked in the playoffs. The Spurs score the lowest per minute with Manu on the court than any player. That tells me something was probably broken with the alignment.

The only reason I don't like it is because it strikes me a little bit of a panic move ... then again, this is a game the Spurs can't afford to lose so it might be right to panic.

You think that might have more to do with Manu's below average play for most of the playoffs though?

Small Fundamental
06-04-2012, 07:46 PM

The only reason I don't like it is because it strikes me a little bit of a panic move ... then again, this is a game the Spurs can't afford to lose so it might be right to panic.Don't forget it worked in 05 with Brent Barry moving into the starting lineup. At least I think it was 05 if my memory is right. But yeah. Lineup changes can work positively in the playoffs sometimes.

TE
06-04-2012, 07:46 PM

Exactly.

Basketball Power
06-04-2012, 07:47 PM
should have started SJAX

TE
So what happens with the second unit?

bulakenyo
I think he's there so they'll have a big opening kick, offensively.

To keep in step with OKC's strong, jackrabbit starts, and prevent being down by 6-10 points by the start of the 2nd Q.

He won't play 45 minutes tonight.

weebo
Manu will play big minutes tonight. More Neal and less Green. Good move. Now to get rid of Bonner and play more Blair.

lrrr
06-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Didn't everyone want Pop to play his best players more? This is a good move. More minutes for the top players, no holding back.

This reminds me of the Detroit series. Took the Postons 2 games to figure out how to play the Spurs, 2 blowouts later, the Spurs had to push back, the rotation was trimmed. Pop had to cut away the deadwood (beno).

Sorry Danny, you had your chance. The leash has been tightened.

AnthonyM
06-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I worry that Danny Green's confidence will be shot from here on out...

But, that said, I don't think the Spurs can afford a slow start tonight especially with all the momentum on the Thunder's side right now. Seems like the right move.

SA210
06-04-2012, 07:49 PM
About 9 years late

mVp
Let's just hope Pop knows what he's doing.

Spur|n|Austin
I say if it doesn't work, worst case bring Manu back off the bench in the 2nd half..

stxspurs
06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Not sure I like it.

Brings the spark off the bench. Can re-invigorate the t eam if they start slow. Doesn't have to share the ball with Tony and Tim so much. Keeps the lineups consistent. Keeps a star on the floor at all times.

Let's hope against a dive once the bench unit takes over.

i didnt think Green was the kind of player to lose confidence over a change. im sure Pop said something needs to be changed and reassured him

DMC
06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
So Manu gets his turnovers early.

timvp
06-04-2012, 07:51 PM
You think that might have more to do with Manu's below average play for most of the playoffs though?

As average as Ginobili has been, he should have more of a positive impact than Matt Bonner. In the playoffs, the Spurs have been best when Manu is sitting on the bench. Manu obviously hasn't been great but he hasn't been THAT bad.

I would worry about the bench being worse without Ginobili but honestly they can't be much worst. The starters have be about 20 points better per 48 minutes, which is a bigger disparity than even teams like the Celtics and Heat who barely even have a bench.

I probably would have given Green one more half but, again, that's mostly looking at it in a "don't fix what was only broken on the road against a great team" manner.

tlongII
I smell desperation.

weebo

But, that said, I don't think the Spurs can afford a slow start tonight especially with all the momentum on the Thunder's side right now. Seems like the right move.

Green will probably not play much from here on out if at all. Who cares about worrying about someone who won't be playing or playing very little....

phxspurfan
06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Ginobili will actually play more than 25 minutes.

Let your superstars take you to the promised land

Or let them take you down to the depths of the bottom of the sea.

I'll never let go Jack. I'll never let go.

urunobili
06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Manu 37 min tonight...

ShoogarBear
06-04-2012, 07:53 PM

Yeah. Even with this move, the Spurs are still going to need 2-3 bodies on the bench to step up big. It won't be Bonner, and it's highly unlikely to be Splitter. Neal can do it, but only on one end, and Jack presumably is going to be chase Durant around a lot more. Hopefully Green will be able to produce in the ~15 minutes he'll still get.

Libri
So this move forces Sefolosha off TP and onto Manu?

loveforthegame
We haven't had the best starts so Manu can help with that. Hopefully it gets him going in the process as well.

It will be interesting to see how Pop tweaks the minutes and rotation now. The bench will need either Parker or Manu out there.

stxspurs
06-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Green will play better in front of a home crowd

timvp
As for what to do with the bench unit, I like the idea of Parker running pick-and-rolls with Splitter. IMO, Parker is and has always been the best on the team at running pick-and-rolls with Splitter.

Get Parker some rest early and let him play with Splitter and the rest of the bench. That should especially work well for both Parker and Splitter because the Thunder would be less apt to switch pick-and-rolls with Parker running it. And as we've seen, Splitter depends on the other team not switching the pick-and-roll.

Cherry
Manu 37 min tonight...

please :flag:

loveforthegame
06-04-2012, 07:55 PM

I doubt it. He'll still guard Parker but it will force Westbrook to guard somebody instead of sagging off.

TwelveGs210
06-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Whether or not its a good move remains to be seen, but on the bright side, it shows Pop is not too stubborn to make an adjustment..

timvp
06-04-2012, 07:56 PM

That's what Hollinger and others have been saying but I don't think so. Sefolosha will stick with Parker and Westbrook will guard Ginobili. Westbrook is a disaster against Parker and has actually given Ginobili some issues.

That said, Ginobili needs to destroy Westbrook this game. No excuses.

ALVAREZ6
06-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Then honestly TP should come off the bench. I do not like having the big 3 all playing to start, and then having one play an extra shift to keep one on, or it can work if TP stays in for a while and Manu comes back in after a quick break. The Spurs 2nd unit has been terrible as of late, and without Manu, they are royally fucked, none of them will create their own offense.

100%duncan
06-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Who's gonna run the 2nd unit? Well, I hope this works.

timvp
06-04-2012, 07:58 PM
The Spurs 2nd unit has been terrible as of late, and without Manu, they are royally fucked, none of them will create their own offense.
Seriously, I don't think they can be worse. The Celtics bench isn't worse and they play a couple guys who shouldn't even be in the NBA.

AnthonyM
06-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Green will probably not play much from here on out if at all. Who cares about worrying about someone who won't be playing or playing very little....

Just because he's out of the starting lineup doesn't mean he's out of the rotation completely.

Still need him to step up and hit some shots off the bench. Still think he can play too big of a role this game, and going forward, to just drop him out of the rotation.

~Sweetmelody~
06-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Who's gonna run the 2nd unit? Well, I hope this works.

That's what makes me nervous let's hope this works. Go Spurs Go!

ChumpDumper
06-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Might as well start Blair too. Bench ball movement is possibly going to suck worse.

Nathan89
06-04-2012, 08:01 PM
I all for the change. Change can cause confusion and maybe cause doubt. The same everything would have their confidence high because they already beat that lineup twice.

SanAntonioSpurs23
06-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Hate the fact that Manu is starting

Seventyniner
06-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Great point by the TNT commentators: now Westbrook can't hide on defense.

Capt Bringdown
Adjustment or panic move? Can't wait to see.

Spurtacus
I don't like the move unless Pop plans on giving Manu/TP a ton of minutes to support the 2nd team.

SanAntonioSpurs23
06-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Home cooking baby

therealtruth
06-04-2012, 08:07 PM
should have started SJAX

That's what I am thinking. Now who handles the ball for the second unit? Also who does Manu guard? Westbrook is to fast for him and if he guards Thabo that's a crossmatchup that makes it harder to guard the Thunder in transition. Jax probably wouldn't be as bad as Green as far as hitting open shots. Also he would have been able to defend Durant and then they could slide Kawhi to Westbrook.

timvp
06-04-2012, 08:34 PM
F me. I didn't know Pop would remove his brain along with removing Danny Green from the starting lineup. That first quarter rotation was the worst I've ever seen.

:pctoss @ Pop

timvp
06-04-2012, 08:34 PM
F me. I didn't know Pop would remove his brain along with removing Danny Green from the starting lineup. That first quarter rotation was the worst I've ever seen.

baseline bum
06-04-2012, 08:35 PM
The move has completely backfired, as I feared (and expected) it would.

ALVAREZ6
06-04-2012, 08:39 PM

It was insane. Goddamn these fucking turnovers.

It was frustrating because the Spurs started well, and then they started turning the ball over and Duncan and Diaw in foul trouble ruined everything. I don't understand how Diaw has seemed to be in foul trouble a lot lately, it's always in such quiet fashion.

This shit is not looking good. Game started well but everything else is going to shit, slowly. More driving from Manu and Tony please.

baseline bum
06-04-2012, 08:46 PM
The Spurs drew 4 fouls on OKC in the first 2 minutes of the game. They should have been able to attack the rim and draw a parade to the free throw line for the rest of the quarter. With Ibaka on the bench and being in the bonus they should have been able to build an easy 10-15 point lead there. What a completely blown opportunity that could cost the season.

therealtruth
06-04-2012, 08:48 PM

therealtruth
06-04-2012, 08:50 PM
The move has completely backfired, as I feared (and expected) it would.

Manu is being more aggressive and keeping us in the game. It just seems like most of the Spurs confidence is shot.

ALVAREZ6
06-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Manu is being more aggressive and keeping us in the game. It just seems like most of the Spurs confidence is shot.

Bingo. Manu and Jax are the only players out there with confidence. Parker simply isn't making shit and Duncan has been reduced to a bitch. He has been poor.

I will be very surprised if the Spurs win this game. I just don't understand this. This series looks like it's headed for a repeat of the 2006 finals.

timtonymanu
06-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Yep. Just like I thought. A shitty move. Pop panicked. He's seriously getting outcoached by Scott Brooks?

therealtruth
06-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Yep. Just like I thought. A shitty move. Pop panicked. He's seriously getting outcoached by Scott Brooks?

ALVAREZ6
06-04-2012, 09:11 PM
The Spurs drew 4 fouls on OKC in the first 2 minutes of the game. They should have been able to attack the rim and draw a parade to the free throw line for the rest of the quarter. With Ibaka on the bench and being in the bonus they should have been able to build an easy 10-15 point lead there. What a completely blown opportunity that could cost the season.

:tu

I thought for sure they were gonna return to playing well after seeing all of what you described. Tony and Manu need to rape the paint.

Spur|n|Austin
06-04-2012, 11:41 PM
So what do yall think? Run it again, Pop, or go back with Green starting in game 6?

TDomination
06-04-2012, 11:46 PM
So what do yall think? Run it again, Pop, or go back with Green starting in game 6?

I say go with Green

timvp
06-04-2012, 11:47 PM
You gotta start Manu again. Green is toast. Hell, the whole bench outside of Jackson is probably toast.

:smchode:

Beanzamillion21
06-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Pop showed all of his cards tonight. He blew the series by starting Manu this game. Green's confidence is shot, there is no parity between the bench and starting unit anymore. Pop rattled the balance and it failed the team. tbh.

LakerHater
06-04-2012, 11:51 PM
They kicked our ass in bench points!!
Pop shoulda kept Green in, he probly coulda fed off the home crowd. Now benchin him mighta destroyed him!!

Game 6 is a must start for Manu! .... but it wont matter!

Spur|n|Austin
06-04-2012, 11:53 PM
You gotta start Manu again. Green is toast. Hell, the whole bench outside of Jackson is probably toast.

I'd say start Manu again also, but at the same time, Pop has to find a way to bring some energy off the bench without collaborating another cluster F*ck that we saw tonight. I know fouls played a big part of that, but pulling Manu when he was playing out of his mind was just plain stupid.

TDomination
06-04-2012, 11:54 PM

We won't win with Manu starting. We were the best team in the NBA due to how well green played with the starting 5, with how Manu would come in off the bench and play really well with splitter and neal. They had rhythm, now everything is f'd up.

Yeah role players have sucked bad but you gotta show faith in them and believe in them.

excluding bonner, he's had plenty of chances in years past.

Spur|n|Austin
06-04-2012, 11:57 PM
We won't win with Manu starting. We were the best team in the NBA due to how well green played with the starting 5, with how Manu would come in off the bench and play really well with splitter and neal. They had rhythm, now everything is f'd up.

Yeah role players have sucked bad but you gotta show faith in them and believe in them.

tbh, things didn't really go downward for the second unit until Pop brought Bonner in for those how ever many seconds. Fouls didn't help, but OKC was in foul trouble too so no excuses.

DAF86
06-05-2012, 12:07 AM
We need to play Manu as much as possible. Starting him would give us the chance to do that while giving him some reasonable rest periods.

If you bench Manu you have him in the bench for the first 6 minutes of the game (and the 3rd quarter) while beign rested. It makes no sense at this point.

I don't think Green should be cut from the rotation though, I have faith in him stepping up.

Josepatches_
06-05-2012, 12:08 AM
If he can then Manu should play 40 minutes.

It could be the last game.Now it's time to play your best players. That's why he played less minutes all the year injuries apart. To be ready now.

ElNono
06-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Well, no point in resting anybody now...

SenorSpur
06-05-2012, 12:10 AM

+1.

It was definitley a panic move. Green is done for the rest of the playoffs and the Spurs so-called depth is now a non-issue.

My concern going forward is Manu, Tony and Tim looked gassed toward the end of this game. Of course, if they don't win Game 6, they'll have all summer to rest.

Spur|n|Austin
06-05-2012, 12:11 AM
+1.

It was definitley a panic move. Green is done for the rest of the playoffs and the Spurs so-called depth is now a non-issue.

My concern going forward is Manu, Tony and Tim looked gassed toward the end of this game. Of course, if they don't win Game 6, they'll have all summer to rest.

I hope Pop tells them something of similar sorts.

therealtruth
06-05-2012, 01:33 AM

The move that made too much sense was starting Jax. Green has played well with Manu on the wing.