PDA

View Full Version : JA Adande calls out Parker

SpurPadre
06-05-2012, 03:09 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8010692/nba-playoffs-blame-tony-parker-spurs-struggles

Ouch...but he has a point. It's time for TP to respond like we know he has the ability to respond.

FkLA
06-05-2012, 03:11 AM
No fucking shit.

SpurPadre
06-05-2012, 03:13 AM
No fucking shit.

Okay...

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2012, 03:14 AM
the chances of responding is 0

therealtruth
06-05-2012, 03:14 AM
I have to agree. Westbrook is outplaying him like Conley did last season. Parker needs to look to get his teammates involved more. That will help him get his own offense going. I though he had figured that out. Even in the Clippers series he showed that ability.

It also produced some funky lineup combinations, during a time when a team shouldn't be tinkering with its lineups.

Pop is finally being exposed on the biggest stage.

SpurPadre
06-05-2012, 03:15 AM
the chances of responding is 0

Believe, man, BELIEVE!!! I know it's hard but damn.

FkLA
06-05-2012, 03:15 AM
Okay...

I agree with the thread and JA Adande brah. Parkers balls have shriveled up.

SpurPadre
06-05-2012, 03:17 AM
I agree with the thread and JA Adande brah. Parker balls have shriveled up.

Oh, I got you, man. Yeah...it's tough to see TP play like this even though he's clearly busting his ass on defense but he's just not playing smart basketball on the offensive end.

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2012, 03:20 AM
what happens if he chokes again and we go out....is management going to look at trading his ass and start the rebuilding process handing the reigns to KL?

SA210
06-05-2012, 03:21 AM
Well deserved. And I love that Chuck called out Pop too before the game. One of the few times I've ever seen someone have the balls to do so.

Tony has a shot to make history here. He needs to not only step up, but he needs to go crazy.

SpurPadre
06-05-2012, 03:24 AM
what happens if he chokes again and we go out....is management going to look at trading his ass and start the rebuilding process handing the reigns to KL?

If we lose, I think we might go hard after Nicolas Batum...maybe do a sign and trade deal with Neal and Blair or Green for him. I think the team will try to get more athletic and try to buy some more time for Manu and find a guy who can be his heir-apparent. Batum could be that guy. TP will stay a Spur until TD and Manu hang it up at least.

SpurPadre
06-05-2012, 03:27 AM
Well deserved. And I love that Chuck called out Pop too before the game. One of the few times I've ever seen someone have the balls to do so.

Tony has a shot to make history here. He needs to not only step up, but he needs to go crazy.

No, I hope he doesn't try to go out of his way to be crazy. He needs to manage the game better and pick his spots. I don't want to see him jack up jumpers with Manu beside him. He should leave most of the jumpers to him and try to drive to the basket when he sees the opportunity and try to draw some fouls. He also needs to have more assists than turnovers.

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2012, 03:28 AM
If we lose, I think we might go hard after Nicolas Batum...maybe do a sign and trade deal with Neal and Blair or Green for him. I think the team will try to get more athletic and try to buy some more time for Manu and find a guy who can be his heir-apparent. Batum could be that guy. TP will stay a Spur until TD and Manu hang it up at least.

but u still have teh choke artist pg on the team....

Obstructed_View
06-05-2012, 03:35 AM
The more I think about this the more I'm sure it's true. I've said a dozen times over the years that the Spurs' playoff fortunes turn on the effectiveness of Tony Parker more than any other player in the history of the team. If he doesn't rally, there's no way the rest of the team will.

Capt Bringdown
06-05-2012, 03:36 AM
...if they instead become the 15th team to lose a series after leading 2-0, chances are we'll know whom to blame.

Ouch. Only happened 14 times in NBA history & the Spurs own one of those dreadful distinctions already. I wonder if we'll be the only team to have done it twice.

And how gruesome it must be to shake Derek Fisher's hand again after getting backdoor swept.

timvp
06-05-2012, 03:42 AM
I can't say it's unfair. Parker has gotten the MVP chants for the last few months. He's gotten a lot of acclaim. So if the Spurs come up short, it only makes sense for your "best" player to get the brunt of the criticism.

For the record, asking Parker to be the best player on a championship team was always a tall task. Coming into this season, I would have laughed at the idea. I've spent more time defending Parker than anyone I know but still, best player on a championship team is asking a whole lot.

In the big picture, Parker has given it a great shot. He's brought the Spurs closer than I would have imagined he could coming into this season. But if it turns out he's not good enough, it won't exactly be shocking.

All that said, I'd love nothing more for Parker to answer with a 30-10er in Game 6 while leading the Spurs to victory.

Capt Bringdown
06-05-2012, 03:42 AM
Fisher sucks on the court now, but I wonder how much he helped OKC behind the scenes in this series. Fisher's Laker confidence in owning the Spurs seems to have rubbed off on the OKC young'ns.
"Oh, we're down 2-0? No problem, we're playing the Spurs. Just limit Parker and they'll fold."

SA210
06-05-2012, 03:43 AM
No, I hope he doesn't try to go out of his way to be crazy. He needs to manage the game better and pick his spots. I don't want to see him jack up jumpers with Manu beside him. He should leave most of the jumpers to him and try to drive to the basket when he sees the opportunity and try to draw some fouls. He also needs to have more assists than turnovers.

I mean crazy as in unstoppable mode

SA210
06-05-2012, 03:44 AM
The more I think about this the more I'm sure it's true. I've said a dozen times over the years that the Spurs' playoff fortunes turn on the effectiveness of Tony Parker more than any other player in the history of the team. If he doesn't rally, there's no way the rest of the team will.

More goods. It's true. Manu, Jackson and Leonard need Parker to match their efforts.

SA210
06-05-2012, 03:48 AM
No Speedy Claxton to go to. Parker must step up.

FkLA
06-05-2012, 03:56 AM
I can't say it's unfair. Parker has gotten the MVP chants for the last few months. He's gotten a lot of acclaim. So if the Spurs come up short, it only makes sense for your "best" player to get the brunt of the criticism.

For the record, asking Parker to be the best player on a championship team was always a tall task. Coming into this season, I would have laughed at the idea. I've spent more time defending Parker than anyone I know but still, best player on a championship team is asking a whole lot.

In the big picture, Parker has given it a great shot. He's brought the Spurs closer than I would have imagined he could coming into this season. But if it turns out he's not good enough, it won't exactly be shocking.

All that said, I'd love nothing more for Parker to answer with a 30-10er in Game 6 while leading the Spurs to victory.

My biggest criticism towards him is that he hasnt changed over the years. He was neutralized and disappeared in this series and last yr against Memphis in the same way that he did in 03' at times and in 04' against LA.

Capt Bringdown
06-05-2012, 04:00 AM
Parker is key. But at least he and Manu have had big games in this series. Duncan looks scared, and continues with the soft fade-aways.
FFS, if you're gonna lose at least go down with your head held high.
Hate his head-hanging routine.

therealtruth
06-05-2012, 04:01 AM

Parker needs to learn from Westbrook. We've prevented Westbrook from going off by collapsing in the paint. Now he's playing a smarter game where he makes the extra pass and allows the game to come to him.

Another thing I think that hurts the Spurs is the fact that most of our guys don't have an inbetween game. 3's and layups are the most efficient shots but in the playoffs teams won't allow you to get them. You have to be able to hit the pull up jumper. OKC is excellent at that.

FkLA
06-05-2012, 04:02 AM
Parker is key. But at least he and Manu have had big games in this series. Duncan looks scared, and continues with the soft fade-aways.
FFS, if you're gonna lose at least go down with your head held high.
Hate his head-hanging routine.

Tim Duncan is 35 yrs old dumbass.

The Reckoning
06-05-2012, 04:10 AM
if, hypothetically speaking, okc takes it all...how many rings will fisher have?

dunkman
06-05-2012, 05:14 AM
He played great defense, the best of any Spurs. He also connected long 2's. He was one of the reasons why the Spurs rallied in the 4-th.

But the Spurs made some TO's, passes that ended in the stands or with fast break points. Also the Blair + 4 guards line-up was ridiculous. And the Spurs conceded uncontested dunks to Collison and Ibaka, they must prevent that rotating while doubling the player that drives. Another reason the Spurs conceded an early lead, was letting Cook take wide open 3's on several possessions.

And it doesn't make sense to keep Green in the rotation if he can't play defense nor hit a 3 to save his life. Thanks God, Bonner hasn't played much. The Bonner - Blair lineup was for just few possessions. Another player that must make something is Neal.

sehui
06-05-2012, 05:16 AM
The only way Tony is going to play well is if he comes into game 6 and starts hitting those mid-range jumpers.

That's how he got so hot in game 2. But since he's pretty unreliable outside the paint, this can be bad news.

If those jumpers aren't going down, he's going to lack confidence, defense isn't going to respect him, and will clog the paint = turnovers etc.

Limguogolo
06-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Blame Pop also and give OKC to learn how to defend on Parker as many Euro teams use to it.

The option when Parker is double team in the hig pick and roll is to give the ball to Duncan or Diaw. Why change that and ask for more Ginobili? How Pop or fan could ask to Parker to be more effective although he (or they) doesn't have confident in his own system. It's not in asking to Parker to force the penetration that the Spurs have a chance to win. Parker is not the only one to blame. It's all team which have lost its focus, its team effort, its will to share the basketball, its confidence in teammates.

Pop started to doubt about Bonner, then Splitter, then Green and now Parker. Who call it adjustments? I call it doubt. You won 20 games and you start to doubt about your role players as never in the past? The problem was not Bonner, Splitter, Green or Parker. They've won with these guys, why they couldn't anymore? The problem was Ibaka goaltending, shots and defense in high p&r; the problem was Sefolosha. Was it impossible to adapt without doubt on you own elements?

The Spurs need to play as the always did. With confidence, spacing, ball movement. It's not a Parker's issue. But Pop needs to understand this was not his players faut. He's made bad adjustments. And the key is too involve more Diaw. That means less dribbling, less selfishness; that means more movements, more passing. The team started to messy when he first left the floor with two fools.

If Pop asks to Parker to be more aggressive with Ginobili and Diaw in the team, the Spurs can't win this series. Leave the ball in the first seconds to Diaw, play a high pace and Spurs have a chance. The Spurs start to struggle with the hack a splitter, hack a pace. If it becomes ugly, with a lot of calls, such as in the first quarter in this last game, the Spurs have no pace, no offense, no confidence.

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2012, 06:40 AM
so how much more confidence and ball movement do you need? we been doing this shit for the last 3 games and it has choked

Limguogolo
06-05-2012, 06:43 AM
"This shit?" Ball movement is shit? Seriously? Why are you a spur fan if you think ball movement "is shit"?... That's how they play and win, that's how they need to play again.

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2012, 06:49 AM
"This shit?" Ball movement is shit? Seriously? Why are you a spur fan if you think ball movement "is shit"?... That's how they play and win, that's how they need to play again.

when did i say ball movement was shit?

kuato
06-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Spurs have not real guard or center position.

SpurYank
06-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Here's how I see it. It's a case of "ho-hum" for at lest 2 or 3 of the Spurs. They "ain't" as hungry as the Thunder players are. Fischer was right. You can draw up all the plays you want, set different picks, and change defensive schemes. But when push comes to shove, you have got to WANT IT. Players who want it don't have as many turn-overs, miss assignments, or give it less than 100%. There is no better talent on their team as there is in ours.

Perhaps now that our backs are up against the wall we'll be hungrier for Wednesday's game. It appears Duncan will be.

elbamba
06-05-2012, 09:06 AM
He played great defense, the best of any Spurs. He also connected long 2's. He was one of the reasons why the Spurs rallied in the 4-th.

But the Spurs made some TO's, passes that ended in the stands or with fast break points. Also the Blair + 4 guards line-up was ridiculous. And the Spurs conceded uncontested dunks to Collison and Ibaka, they must prevent that rotating while doubling the player that drives. Another reason the Spurs conceded an early lead, was letting Cook take wide open 3's on several possessions.

And it doesn't make sense to keep Green in the rotation if he can't play defense nor hit a 3 to save his life. Thanks God, Bonner hasn't played much. The Bonner - Blair lineup was for just few possessions. Another player that must make something is Neal.

Spot on. I am not going to say that Parker does not deserve criticism. This is his team and if it goes down, he gets the bulk of the blame. But the Spurs made this a game last night because of Tony's outstanding defense on Westbrook and the TOs that he forced. He, Manu and Jackson played so hard that I was not even upset when the game was over because if the Spurs are going to give it their all and lose to a better team, so be it.

The Thunder have made their entire defensive scheme to stop Parker. Not Manu, not Tim and especially not the best three point shooting team in the NBA this year. It would be nice to see someone else step up and help, sadly, with one day of rest, Manu will probably suffer a bit and so it will put even more on Tony's back. I hope he can carry the load.

tlongII
06-05-2012, 09:22 AM
I don't think Parker deserves the blame for the Spurs woes. OKC is focusing their defense on him and nobody on the Spurs outside of Ginobili is stepping up. Point guards are not too difficult to stop if you focus on them.

wildbill2u
06-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Parker is not playing smart. He continues to try to drive into a defense that is loaded in the paint against him.

The result is predictable: Turnovers, hard fouls that have to be taking their toll, difficult shot attempts that mostly miss, and most important of all--this isn't Spurs basketball that depends on execution as a team, not hero one-on-one stuff.

He must pull up for his jumper more and make them. He only made one jumper last night.

He must trust his teammates more and try to find them for 3s. This may open the lane for his drives.

After carrying the team on his back all year, it will be a shame if he winds up the goat of the conference finals.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Parker looks completely lost. 8 years after the 2004 disaster, the defensive plan against the Spurs is still the same. Ugh.

Begin rant: And to think Fisher will be on the winning side again. To me, Fisher is the biggest weasel in the league - from his cheap play to his facade of classiness to his goal of wanting to be a politician. I'm glad the Spurs never signed the Mailman and I'm even more glad they didn't sign Derek Fisher.

Most of the Thunder seem like nice guys but I can't possibly cheer for them assuming they go to the Finals. Sure Durant and Westbrook are nice people but they made a deal with the devil, so to speak, in courting Fisher to be on their team. Fisher is like the moral equivalent of the Thunder owner - a weasel in a nice suit. No, I'd rather support the Heat in beating the Thunder. At least the Heat are upfront about who they are.

dbreiden83080
06-05-2012, 09:52 AM
He just doesn't have it in him. This was a chance for him to expand his legacy and he came up way short. The Spurs need Tim to be all time great Tim. But it's too late in his career for that..

EVAY
06-05-2012, 10:01 AM

There are any number of contradictory statements in that post, Timvp.

The best player on any team is always going to get the most attention from the defense, and Parker has. When that happens, it is up to there rest of the team to steep up.

Parker started last night very aggressively, getting fouls on Perkins and Ibaka (as did Manu). His shot wasn't falling, which happens with "best layers" sometimes, so Tony did what best players would be expected to do. He started dishing the ball to team mates to try to get them shots.

What happened when he did that? With the exception of Manu, everybody else on the team froze, didn't shoot, turned the ball over, etc. etc.

The only way that Tony could get 30 and ten in the next game is if the entire offense spent the first quarter getting Tony open...they would have to set screen after screen and open up the lane for him. Then, after a couple of quarters of that when everyone on the Thunder was focusing solely on Parker, he could get the ball to Manu for spot up jumpers. It would have to be Manu because no one else has showed the willingness to take shots. It would have to be spot up jumpers because putting the ball on the floor and 'creating' your own shot is not going to give Tony assists. Manu tends to shoot from the dribble, Tim has been holding the ball, Neal can't make the shot, and Leonard and Jackson tend to put the ball on the floor. It is damn hard to get assists when that is happening.

Tony has gotten so much defensive attention that the rest of the team could score if the ball moved quickly once it leaves Tony's hands. Problem is that once it leaves his hands, the ball is stationary until the Thunder defense readjusts and covers everybody.

Drom John
06-05-2012, 10:03 AM
The offense has been almost good enough, and I think Parker outplayed Westbrook last night. I thought the dribbling Westbrook came close to losing the game for the Thunder.

Crisper, non-telegraphed, passes by Parker and Ginobili are in order. One less turnover and the end game strategy puts us right there.

I'm putting the blame on Neal and Green. If they could only make 25% of their shots ....

Defense is another issue.

carina_gino20
06-05-2012, 10:07 AM
After carrying the team on his back all year, it will be a shame if he winds up the goat of the conference finals.

It's a damn shame. He's earned a lot of respect this season, more than any of his past seasons in the league. But if we lose, this will be what people will remember.

PublicOption
06-05-2012, 10:23 AM
the league is not gonna pass up a moment to have the OKC fans all hoopin' and hollerin' on national TV.

let me guess how this one turns out.

1. the spurs will be up by 10 maybe even 15 early.
2. then by some miracle (the refs) the spurs will lose by 10-15
3. there will be enough time left for brooks to empty the bench so the team can have a standng "O".

HAPPENS EVERY TIME.

Keepin' it real
06-05-2012, 10:24 AM
The only good thing about Parker last night was his defense on Westbrook in the 2nd half. Why can't he play like that more often?

weebo
06-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Can you really blame Parker for not giving the ball up? I really blame the Spurs role players more than anything. I don't know how many times I have seen guys give up an open shot to settle for even a shittier shot.

PublicOption
06-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Parker looks completely lost. 8 years after the 2004 disaster, the defensive plan against the Spurs is still the same. Ugh.

Begin rant: And to think Fisher will be on the winning side again. To me, Fisher is the biggest weasel in the league - from his cheap play to his facade of classiness to his goal of wanting to be a politician. I'm glad the Spurs never signed the Mailman and I'm even more glad they didn't sign Derek Fisher.

Most of the Thunder seem like nice guys but I can't possibly cheer for them assuming they go to the Finals. Sure Durant and Westbrook are nice people but they made a deal with the devil, so to speak, in courting Fisher to be on their team. Fisher is like the moral equivalent of the Thunder owner - a weasel in a nice suit. No, I'd rather support the Heat in beating the Thunder. At least the Heat are upfront about who they are.

:toast

Limguogolo
06-05-2012, 11:29 AM
He must pull up for his jumper more and make them. He only made one jumper last night.

He's not Westbrooke. His shots coming after a screen. If he doesn't have it, it's a force shot. Nobody wants this.

Horse
06-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Parker can't handle not getting calls he's never been able to. In his defense their pounding the shit out of him looked like he lost a tooth last night. But he has to get over it.

z0sa
06-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Parker absolutely deserves the criticism, too, after that Game 2 performance where he looked god-like. This team does not win with Twin Tower defense and a sprinkling of Parker, like 03-05 and even 07 sometimes. It wins with Parker playing great, on both ends, night in and night out.

Anyone pulling the "Parker played great second half defense!!" card in response to this incredible stretch of 3 games where he has both looked scared and played like dogshit is impenetrably moronic.

spursince#99
06-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Parker must step up, knock down jumpers, and aggressively get to the foul line. Simple as that.

HI-FI
06-05-2012, 04:20 PM

nailed it

KaiRMD1
06-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Parker needs to be the leader and lead this team into battle. For the whole run of the playoffs, they've been touting the Spurs as being Tony's team now but since game 3, he has wilted and the Spurs wilted with him. Manu stepped up and Jackson did as well but unfortunately, they aren't the leaders. If Tony is going to lead, he's got to be A LEADER. If not, pass off that name to either Manu who has lead a team to Gold before or to Cap'n Jack or hell, give the title back to Duncan, I'm sure he has no problem being leader in this battle. Spurs can pull it off but somebody has to lead by example.

Bulwark
06-05-2012, 04:40 PM
No Speedy Claxton to go to. Parker must step up.
I always wondered what happened to Speedy after that year. I guess he got a big contract somewhere else.

ohmwrecker
06-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Pop and his clown shoes rotations deserve the lion's share of the blame tbh. Pop is in full panic mode.

:lol getting out coached by Scotty Brooks
:lol drawing up the shittiest play in NBA playoff history
:lol not knowing what to do when finally realizing Bonner is unreliable
:lol mad at Duncan for not shooting a 3

TJastal
06-05-2012, 04:48 PM

:tu
:clap

I as well will be rooting for heat as the lesser of two evils. Couldn't have said it better than this (about Fisher). Cannot stand that jackass.

therealtruth
06-05-2012, 04:49 PM
The irony is the advantage we were supposed to have was that Westbrook was a knuckle head that didn't know how to run an offense and just looked for his own shot. Now Westbrook is playing like the calm and collected point guard and Parker is playing like the ball hogging point guard that's hurting his team.

ThaBigFundamental21
06-05-2012, 04:49 PM
It's not only Parker who has failed the Spurs, it's pretty much the whole damn team. Tim Duncan doesn't even exist right now, I get that he is old. But there really is no excuse for his play. Do you mean to tell me he can't at least take his time and shoot inside instead of shooting some rushed off balanced jumper falling backwards from 4-7 feet??? Everything he does he rushes for some half assed attempt. I know OKC brings help in the paint to stop Tim, that is exactly why he should be able to find the open man. Tim has been here before, is an all time great, and is completely faltering. Even worse, his Defense has been absolutely pathetic as of late. He is getting dunked on, letting guys penetrate. It's just a sad mess. I get officiating really isn't helping us much, but that is when you need to elevate your game.
Parker can't hit a tear drop to save his life. He can't hit a jump shot. It's clear OKC won't let him inside if he can't make anything outside. It's a fricken mess. He can't pass the ball, he can't find anyone open. His D has actually been decent for a change.
We all know Green can't make a shot to save his life, his D has slipped a little.
Leonard is battling, but looks like a rookie. His D has been solid, his Offense has been limited as it has all year.
Diaw isn't involved anymore. More than OKC's D it seems like San Antonio has got away from what they like to do. It seems like he doesn't get the ball.
Splitter is soft, he has been exposed. Granted officiating has not been on his side. Seriously some of these calls against him were head scratchers. But when is he going to man up and get into position? He watches dudes blow by him and dunk, at least put a body on them.
Manu has been okay in spurts, yet he still is a turnover machine. He seems to be one of 3 players with any desire to win.
Jackson has been fearless, he has came on as of late, played great D most of the series, and now his shot is falling. He has been a great leader.
Neal, has made some big shots for us, like Jackson he seems fearless and wants to win. But we all know he can't play D. He is undersized and a step slow. It's a shame because he appears to have heart.
Blair, I really wish he could have had more go in this series. Pop waited a little long to inject him. I get Pop didn't want to mess with what was working. But Blair always seems to play OKC well. We lack toughness on this team, and Blair brings it, hello Pop!!!
Bonner, not going to say anything. That says it all.

I don't know what went wrong. I know OKC is a good team, they made adjustments. But more than anything it looks like the Spurs got cold, and then scared. It's sad to watch a team with championship pedigree, and an all time great coach completely falter like this. I would have thought they would go down fighting. How could a team who has won championships and won 50 games this season lack confidence??? NOt to mention a 20 game win streak!!! It's mind blowing. You look at the faces of the guys in the game, and on the bench and they look scared, they look sad. What is up with that??? Where is the intensity? I have never seen so many players pass wide open shots because they are afraid of the moment ever. There is no excuse. I thought Pop would have had this team ready. If you can't win in your house in a game 5 after you came off two road losses how are you going to win a closeout elimination game on the road? This is a monumental collapse. I don't see the Spurs pulling their head out of their asses for game 6.

MannyIsGod
06-05-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't think people understand how easy it is to shut down Parker when your shooters won't hit their shots. What is Parker supposed to do when Green is out there in the corner and doesn't need to be guarded? What is Parker supposed to do when Neal goes 0-6? What is Parker supposed to do when OKC puts their best defender on him and the rest of the Spurs are unable to exploit things. What is Parker supposed to do when the refs refuse to call Ibaka for goal tends?

Parker has gotten a shitload of praise this year and every bit of it has been earned out there on the court. In truth he deserves criticism but only to the point that he's not ever going to be Isiah Thomas. The most irritating thing is how even after an MVP caliber season and taking a team to the WCF people fail to appreciate him for what he is and instead focus on what he is not.

Tony Parker, forever the whipping boy of bitch ass Spurs fans.

MannyIsGod
06-05-2012, 05:40 PM
PS I don't care what the stats say - give me Parker each and every day over a stupid player like Westbrook.

J_Paco
06-05-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't think people understand how easy it is to shut down Parker when your shooters won't hit their shots. What is Parker supposed to do when Green is out there in the corner and doesn't need to be guarded? What is Parker supposed to do when Neal goes 0-6? What is Parker supposed to do when OKC puts their best defender on him and the rest of the Spurs are unable to exploit things. What is Parker supposed to do when the refs refuse to call Ibaka for goal tends?

Parker has gotten a shitload of praise this year and every bit of it has been earned out there on the court. In truth he deserves criticism but only to the point that he's not ever going to be Isiah Thomas. The most irritating thing is how even after an MVP caliber season and taking a team to the WCF people fail to appreciate him for what he is and instead focus on what he is not.

Man, no truer words have been typed on these boards. Parker deserves blame and criticism for his turnovers and erratic play, but he's also helped shut down Russell Westbrook. If the Spurs would take care of the basketball, Tony and Manu in particular, this would be an entirely different series.

Anyway, Spurs need to leave it all on the court and play like there is no tomorrow.

Go Spurs Go!

michaelwcho
06-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Problem is, these physical and long teams have an advantage when they stop calling fouls that disrupt the flow and passing. It's ugly--which playoff ball often is. How to adjust to that is problematic for a finesse team.

Blame Pop also and give OKC to learn how to defend on Parker as many Euro teams use to it.

The option when Parker is double team in the hig pick and roll is to give the ball to Duncan or Diaw. Why change that and ask for more Ginobili? How Pop or fan could ask to Parker to be more effective although he (or they) doesn't have confident in his own system. It's not in asking to Parker to force the penetration that the Spurs have a chance to win. Parker is not the only one to blame. It's all team which have lost its focus, its team effort, its will to share the basketball, its confidence in teammates.

tesseractive
06-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Oh, I got you, man. Yeah...it's tough to see TP play like this even though he's clearly busting his ass on defense but he's just not playing smart basketball on the offensive end.

What I'm most worried about is not whether he's playing smart basketball, but whether what the Thunder are throwing at him simply exceeds his ability to handle. There's no shame in having a ceiling to your game, but if this is Tony's, then we've also reached the ceiling for this team.

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2012, 06:16 PM
SINCE 04 ive been hearing tp saying he will get a jumpshot...lol

tesseractive
06-05-2012, 06:16 PM
PS I don't care what the stats say - give me Parker each and every day over a stupid player like Westbrook.

Personally, at least, I don't want to criticize Tony, so much as figure out what his realistic limit is. And yeah, if our best player were Westbrook, we'd be even worse off. Tony has worked like crazy, and he will always have my respect for raising his game this year. You can win a whole lot of games with Tony as your best player.

But the question we're at the brink of answering is whether you can win a title with Tony as your best player. Even if the answer is no, that doesn't mean he's a bad player at all. There's only a handful of guys in the NBA right now for whom the answer is definitely yes, and even LeBron hasn't forced his way onto that list yet.

But I'd sure love it if Tony found a way tomorrow night to take it to another level and help show that the answer is yes.

MannyIsGod
06-05-2012, 06:23 PM

FkLA
06-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Wait so youre saying Parkers drop off is not on him? And Im assuming you blame 04' on Hedo too? :lol

MannyIsGod
06-05-2012, 06:34 PM
I guess you missed the point where I said he deserved criticism. Its always nice when someone who doesn't bother to read properly tries to be a smart ass.

Brazil
06-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Personally, at least, I don't want to criticize Tony, so much as figure out what his realistic limit is. And yeah, if our best player were Westbrook, we'd be even worse off. Tony has worked like crazy, and he will always have my respect for raising his game this year. You can win a whole lot of games with Tony as your best player.

But the question we're at the brink of answering is whether you can win a title with Tony as your best player. Even if the answer is no, that doesn't mean he's a bad player at all. There's only a handful of guys in the NBA right now for whom the answer is definitely yes, and even LeBron hasn't forced his way onto that list yet.

But I'd sure love it if Tony found a way tomorrow night to take it to another level and help show that the answer is yes.

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2012, 06:37 PM
lol TP immune from criticism from posters on this board, really??

MannyIsGod
06-05-2012, 06:41 PM
lol TP immune from criticism from posters on this board, really??

I guess you missed the point where I said he deserved criticism. Its always nice when someone who doesn't bother to read properly tries to be a smart ass.

Jesus fucking christ. TWO posts later.

FkLA
06-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Dude you wrote an entire paragraph placing blame on others on the team. Then you wrote another paragraph about how Tony is no appreciated and not accepted for what he is.

Those of us that criticize him alot actually know exactly what he is--which is a guy that has cost the Spurs alot of series over the yrs. Theres your answer for why he gets so much shit. This isnt the first time hes been neutralized in the playoffs.

MannyIsGod
06-05-2012, 06:46 PM
He's cost the Spurs series huh? SMH. Yeah, Tony's going to cost the Spurs the WCF. God knows if they would just not play him they'd be on the way to the finals. I'm sure if they just cut Tony earlier this season we would be on our way to the finals. He's costing the Spurs the WCF as he's cost the Spurs so many series in the past.

Not being good enough to get you past a great team is not anywhere near the same as "costing you a series". Saying any of the big 3 has ever cost the Spurs a series is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this site. And there have been some really fucking stupid things said on this site.

z0sa
06-05-2012, 06:49 PM

Hey, at least he played that great second half defense in a loss!

lol you

Parker is playing scared, not attacking the paint relentlessly anymore, and has more unforced and stupid errors/turnovers than anyone this series, including Manu.

I don't really need to argue this though. Everything I need to say to completely apparent in the final jumpshot Westbrook made over him and the final jumpshot he hesitated on despite being wide open.

You're the bitchass for abandoning this forum/team at the beginning of the year, too, btw, like most the "fans" here.

FkLA
06-05-2012, 06:53 PM
The fact that he outperforms guys like Bonner or Green doesnt make shit any better. This team depends on Tony (and Tim&Manu) a whole lot more than they do on the rest of the guys. Hes fallen off a cliff over the past 3 games compared to what we were accustomed to this season. Hes the biggest reason the Spurs have lost 3 in a row, not some role players who have struggled.

For a supposed MVP candidate and Top PG in the league he has been neutralized way too easily.

ducks
06-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Hey, at least he played that great second half defense in a loss!

lol you

Parker is playing scared, not attacking the paint relentlessly anymore, and has more unforced and stupid errors/turnovers than anyone this series, including Manu.

I don't really need to argue this though. Everything I need to say to completely apparent in the final jumpshot Westbrook made over him and the final jumpshot he hesitated on despite being wide open.

You're the bitchass for abandoning this forum/team at the beginning of the year, too, btw, like most the "fans" here.

What is Parker supposed to do when Green is out there in the corner and doesn't need to be guarded? What is Parker supposed to do when Neal goes 0-6? What is Parker supposed to do when OKC puts their best defender on him and the rest of the Spurs are unable to exploit things. What is Parker supposed to do when the refs refuse to call Ibaka for goal tends?

he shot 12 free throws last night
he still attacked
he needs to attack more but it is hard when no one makes an outside shot
heck manu big night was alot of it because of the three ball not dunks or fingerrolls

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2012, 07:26 PM
What is Parker supposed to do when Green is out there in the corner and doesn't need to be guarded? What is Parker supposed to do when Neal goes 0-6? What is Parker supposed to do when OKC puts their best defender on him and the rest of the Spurs are unable to exploit things. What is Parker supposed to do when the refs refuse to call Ibaka for goal tends?

he shot 12 free throws last night
he still attacked
he needs to attack more but it is hard when no one makes an outside shot
heck manu big night was alot of it because of the three ball not dunks or fingerrolls

i see pointing fingers now at role players who play insiginifcant minutes stuck in the doghouse in the 3 losses, while ur leader/hero or whatever you wanna call him plays the bulk of the minutes decides to give up.

ElNono
06-05-2012, 07:52 PM
I don't think people understand how easy it is to shut down Parker when your shooters won't hit their shots. What is Parker supposed to do when Green is out there in the corner and doesn't need to be guarded?

Use the fucking jumpshot he allegedly worked so hard at perfecting?

Dude is stuck in penetration and pick and roll mode. On top of that he's playing scared. lol 2nd half defense.

Brazil
06-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Use the fucking jumpshot he allegedly worked so hard at perfecting?

yeah great idea so that he will be accused to be a ball hog and to not pass the ball to manu

Dude is stuck in penetration and pick and roll mode. On top of that he's playing scared. lol 2nd half defense.

fwiw he played great defense on Westbrook the whole serie, dude shot less than .38 during 4 games out of 5 with a peak at .42

lol 2nd half defense

J_Paco
06-05-2012, 08:15 PM
The Spurs have some of the most arrogant and spoiled fans in all of sports. Parker's defense on Westbrook helped the Spurs climb back into the game. Manu has been just as sloppy, indecisive and counter-productive with the ball. One guy can do no wrong (Ginobili), while the other player is constantly shitted on. Pathetic.

Note: I think they've won as team and now they're losing as one. They need to get back to playing a team game (ball movement) and stop turning over the ball for easy run outs.

ElNono
06-05-2012, 08:33 PM
yeah great idea so that he will be accused to be a ball hog and to not pass the ball to manu

There's some truth to that, but at the same time, he needs to keep the defense honest. Sometimes you need to accept you're the leader of the team, and start taking the difficult shots instead of waiting for Danny Green to bail you out. It's part of being aggressive.

fwiw he played great defense on Westbrook the whole serie, dude shot less than .38 during 4 games out of 5 with a peak at .42

His defense on Westbrook was noticeably better in the 2nd half. The question is what was holding him back in the 1st. Furthermore, he had some really stupid lapses, like when he was assigned to Cook, and went to double-team nobody while Cook drained back to back 3s. This was when Sefolosha had to go to the bench in foul trouble.

Is it too much to ask to see a 48 min game from him? I guess it is...

ElNono
06-05-2012, 08:38 PM
The Spurs have some of the most arrogant and spoiled fans in all of sports. Parker's defense on Westbrook helped the Spurs climb back into the game. Manu has been just as sloppy, indecisive and counter-productive with the ball. One guy can do no wrong (Ginobili), while the other player is constantly shitted on. Pathetic.

This is baloney. Ginobili wasn't the anointed "team leader". Ginobili is supposed to be in his last legs. What's Tony excuse? He's being guarded at times by the rotting corpse of Derek Fisher out there, for crying out loud, and shriveling in fetal position.

Brazil
06-05-2012, 08:53 PM
There's some truth to that, but at the same time, he needs to keep the defense honest. Sometimes you need to accept you're the leader of the team, and start taking the difficult shots instead of waiting for Danny Green to bail you out. It's part of being aggressive.

I actually agree with that, he needs to hit some JS to open a bit the way to the rim. Yesterday he drove a lot and at least went to the line.

Is it too much to ask to see a 48 min game from him? I guess it is...

nope it is not too much but it's imho too much to expect him to be a franchise player of a championship team and god knows I hope I'm wrong and he can lead the team to a title but I don't see that happening. We also underrate how tim level of play is important in POs for TP.

Dok has a point tbh.

when was the last time a team lead by a PG won a title ? or even to a CF ? Rondo is an example but we have to recognize the eastern conference is quite fucked up