PDA

View Full Version : Would you resign D. Green?

smaka
06-05-2012, 05:00 AM
He's restricted FA this summer.
If you asked me 1 week ago I'd say definitely, he played great, making those open 3 pt shots + great D (against Paul etc). Plus, he showed a lot of improvement since the start of the season and I thought he might be one of the guys for the future.

But after this series I'm very sceptical about it. To be honest, he really disappointed me, and probably you guys too. He couldn't make open shots, he was actually forcing some of them (just remember silly step back yesterday) and of course none of them went in. With the moment he lost his confidence, he lost his shooting skills and D.

The only positive side I find is, that his shitty performance in last games could probably lower his price and make us easier to keep him...

What would you do?

sehui
06-05-2012, 05:09 AM
No. I feel like whenever we hit a challenge in the postseason, Danny Green might become a Bonner and just not show up.

I don't want another Bonner.

I want proven tough, clutch players on our team, brimming with confidence and have proven themselves in the playoffs - Jackson, Neal, Diaw, Leonard, even Patty has played very well for the small amount of time he has gotten.

Basically, if we can't get Green or Blair for pretty cheap, let em walk.

spursparker9
06-05-2012, 05:15 AM
Can we somehow do a sign and trade for Batum?

sehui
06-05-2012, 05:18 AM

Why the fuck do we need Batum? Our sg/sf spot is stacked. Sjax and Kawhi do excellent jobs - there's no need to another sf to our rotation.

We need a backup PG who can actually dribble well and is decent (TJ Ford :( ) and some athletic size in our 4/5 spots.

Russo21
06-05-2012, 05:23 AM
Very cheap or pass

temujin
06-05-2012, 05:25 AM

Batum, of all?
If Green is soft, Batum is transparent.

temujin
06-05-2012, 05:34 AM
The last chance the Spurs had to win it all will be blown on Wednesday.
After that, Spurs need to worry about winning and making the Playoffs.
Nothing else.
Just be happy to be in the PO.
Danny Green was a good part in a mechanisms that won a lot of RS and even PO games.

So yes, I would resign him.
I wrote it before and maintain, 2,5M, 3 years.

At any rate, Green is the last of Spurs problems, he has been exposed this series and I doubt he will receive big offers.

tkang456
06-05-2012, 05:40 AM
Green has certainly helped us during regular season and came up preety big vs clippers. you all remember game 4 shot vs clips when he shot over blake griffin? (gosh that seems so ages ago). and dont forget he guarded Chris Paul preety well. knowing RC buford, if you have played well enough for certain amount of time, you are more than likely to stay with the team (e.g. look how long matt bonner stuck out in San Antoinio, because he can produce during regular season). Im not sure how many teams would want to sign Green, but i would keep him in hopes that he will be better for years to come

mudyez
06-05-2012, 06:04 AM
I honestly don't think he is the next Bonner in terms of playoff performance! Give this kid a break! He just doesn't seem to be a guy that is really shrinking coz of the situation. He simply is streaky, hitting a bad streak at a bad time!

Saying that, if someone is stupid enough to give him more than about 3,5mio/year we honestly should pass and see how he kills that teams cap space without providing enough for that amount of money. He still is a product of our system. We may find another player that can give us 80% of what Green gives us now for 30% of that money.

dunkman
06-05-2012, 06:04 AM
Yes, but not for a big contract.

G-Dawgg
06-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Fuck Danny Green. He's a bitch. Big fail.

Spurs Brazil
06-05-2012, 07:39 AM
2years - 4M

_jin
06-05-2012, 07:51 AM
he's basically a sophomore playing the first important games of his career on the number 1 favorite team. Yea he has sucked badly but I'd still be willing to give him a chance, for the right price. Positive thing out of that funk is that it might lower his price tag this summer.

jgome21
06-05-2012, 08:06 AM
He's restricted FA this summer.
If you asked me 1 week ago I'd say definitely, he played great, making those open 3 pt shots + great D (against Paul etc). Plus, he showed a lot of improvement since the start of the season and I thought he might be one of the guys for the future.

But after this series I'm very sceptical about it. To be honest, he really disappointed me, and probably you guys too. He couldn't make open shots, he was actually forcing some of them (just remember silly step back yesterday) and of course none of them went in. With the moment he lost his confidence, he lost his shooting skills and D.

The only positive side I find is, that his shitty performance in last games could probably lower his price and make us easier to keep him...

What would you do?

Resign him. For the most part he's been great majority of the season. This is his first time actually playing in the playoffs so I wasn't surprised to see our young guys get a lil rattled at this point.

TXstbobcat
06-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Wow, I guess we will never know how big of a contract offer he would have received if he had played well in this series against OKC.

SpurYank
06-05-2012, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't come up with this stupid post. You see things I don't see, like that fat lady who is no where in sight.

Man, think positive and hold your head up.I live two thousand miles away and all the people around here who love sports talk about the Spurs everyday.

elbamba
06-05-2012, 08:59 AM
If the Spurs can get him for 1-2 million I don't see why not. Danny is a streak player and the time off seems to have effected him more than others. Now his confidence is shot. That is no reason to forget that he helped the Spurs reach the WCF by playing some great basketball, both offense and defense in the first two rounds.

silverblackfan
06-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Resign him if it is a reasonable amount. He has been solid up until this series. The same could be same for Parker, tbh.

TXstbobcat
06-05-2012, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't come up with this stupid post. You see things I don't see, like that fat lady who is no where in sight.

Man, think positive and hold your head up.I live two thousand miles away and all the people around here who love sports talk about the Spurs everyday.

My post wasn't about the spurs chances in the series. I still believe that they can take this in 7 games. I was specifically talking about how Danny Green's performance so far in this series will affect his contract offers in the offseason.

elemento
06-05-2012, 09:27 AM
I would, but not for the full MLE like a lot of people think.

I think 3m/year is a fair value for him.

elemento
06-05-2012, 09:27 AM
I would, but not for the full MLE like a lot of people think.

I think 3m/year is a fair value for him.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-05-2012, 09:34 AM
If someone wants to pay him $2.5 million/year...then fine let him walk. No use overpaying him.

He showed he isn't ready yet for the big stage. However, I think he still has a future. He's streaky. He plays defense. He can get hot occasionally, but not when the lights are the brightest.

I don't see a lot of big offers for him so I think if we want him we'll resign him.

Shit, I'm way more curious what TD is going to want, or want to do. Who cares about Green?

Keepin' it real
06-05-2012, 09:52 AM
2012 Danny Green = 2004 Hedo Turkoglu

Let his ass walk. He let the team down when a championship was within reach. Don't want or need him.

Spur|n|Austin
06-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Yeah I would.

it's me
06-05-2012, 10:29 AM
TBH to me the NBA is about the playoffs............. if the guy can't perform under pressure...sorry, but we need players with balls no vaginas.

baseline bum
06-05-2012, 10:48 AM
I'd bring Green back. He has had a lousy WCF, but overall has been pretty solid for the team this season and he's not likely to cost much.

pad300
06-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Let him test the waters, but unless he gets a silly offer, I would resign.
I believe that you can't coach choke, but I don't see Danny having choked. He's had a bad series against the Thunder, but it's not like Bonner*... Danny has been an exceedingly streaky shooter throughout the regular season, and was hot in the 1st 2 rounds. Now he's on the other end of the pendulum. This should make him a cheap re-sign, say 3 years, something like 2.0M, 2.2M, 2.4M (3ed year un-guaranteed).

* Note that Bonner has been non-productive (choked) every playoff series he's been in. Danny, on the other hand, produced in the Jazz and Clippers series; he's also a decent defender, unlike Bonner, who's worthless if he's not hitting the three.

K-State Spur
06-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Absolutely - provided it's reasonable.

Green has been EXTREMELY frustrating, but better players than him have wilted in their first postseason (and for the record, he's wilted in just this series - he was a key player in the first 2).

There's a reason that Pop continually surrounded the Big 3 with proven playoff performing VETERANS for the bulk of their careers. He didn't go the athletic route until he absolutely had to.

SenorSpur
06-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I'd bring Green back. He has had a lousy WCF, but overall has been pretty solid for the team this season and he's not likely to cost much.

:tu

I certainly wouldn't hope his performance in the WCF against him. The kid is still young, hungry, committed and has an upside. Besides, he's been a major contributor to this team throughout most of the year.

Bonner's rotting corpse has been weighing down the roster for four or five years - and he got an undeserved extension last summer.

Another reason to resign Green? James Anderson. Green is largely responsible for outplaying him. It's widely assumed that JA will be out of here next season. Therefore, there is no reason NOT to reup Green.

Resign Green to a reasonably, cheap contract, trade Bonner for whatever you can get (if anything) and start rebuilding the frontcourt. It is the frontcourt that he in dire need of additional support.

loveforthegame
06-05-2012, 01:00 PM
I would like to see him back. He was solid for us this season and most of the playoffs. He fell off the wagon in the WCF but I think he could learn from this. He's still young and still has some upside.

He's not the only one to have failed this series. I think there were much bigger problems than his struggles.

spursince#99
06-05-2012, 01:02 PM
resign him if it is a reasonable amount. He has been solid up until this series. The same could be same for parker, tbh.

+1

Drewlius
06-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Absolutely & it's not even close. We don't get to go on this epic ride of a season without D. Green this year, I'm very confident in that. It's extremely early to claim he is a post-season failure, it's not like it is some type of perennial thing that has happened multiple years, he's still very green(lol).

DeadlyDynasty
06-05-2012, 01:28 PM
A loser is a loser. Don't re-sign him.