PDA

View Full Version : Thought on the Great Spurs and Game 6

GrandeDavid
06-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Aside from someone advising Danny Green that a sense of urgency is needed, because each passing quarter is costing him another million in a future contract, ditto for role players Tiago Splitter, Matt Bonner and Gary Neal, the Spurs actually have a formula for stealing Game 6 in Oklahoma City. To be sure, the Spurs must play with high energy for 48 minutes and avoid turning the ball over. Those are the obvious things. But the key to victory is simplicity. Gregg Popovich must play the lineup that got him this far. This is no time for gimmicks, no time for panic, yes, even facing elimination.

If I were Gregg Popovich, I would call a team meeting upon arrival in Oklahoma City and inform the players that the original rotation returns. Green is the starter and even Matt Bonner will get his minutes. The reason I would do this is multifaceted. For one, on the heels of a three game losing streak and a miserable series performance by a few, there is always the chance that fortunes will turn for the Spurs’ role players. Simply stated, the Spurs are getting and missing enough open shots to win ballgames.

Maybe those threes that are back rimming will finally go down. And if Green or Bonner hit just one three pointer apiece? If Neal comes in and nails a couple of treys? Suddenly some space opens up for Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, and the Spurs' inferior athleticism becomes hedged ever so slightly. But moreso, this is a game of streaks and confidence. If Jackson and Neal pop a couple, it can become contagious. The Spurs don't need an overhaul to steal Game 6, they need a couple of tweaks.

The fact is, had Harden missed and the Spurs ended up winning Game 5, the national pundits and fans would all be talking about how the Spurs' role players would likely step up and launch the Thunders' coffin nails from long range tomorrow night.

The Spurs will need to give heavy minutes to their Big Three of Parker, Ginobili and Tim Duncan. If this team is destined for a backdoor sweep, you want it to happen with the keys to the machine in your star players’ hands. But that would be the case even if the Spurs were up 3-1. The problem is not late in games. Indeed, its not the bright light game moments where the Spurs are coming apart, its when the fans are up fetching some popcorn and checking their text messages. Like clockwork, the Spurs go up late in the first quarter, in come a couple of reserves, and there goes the lead. An epic mini-collapse ensues and Spurs fans get thrilled that the team is only down a dozen at the half instead of 25.

But what if just two shots fell for just one role player at the six minute mark of the second quarter? What if the Spurs committed only two turnovers in the second quarter instead of six? Until somebody steps up and makes a couple of shots, the lane will continue to be stacked against Parker, Ginobili and Duncan. Until a shot falls from afar, guys will continue to press and throw risky passes.

I bet if you gathered the Thunder and Spurs for a game of horse this afternoon at Chesapeake Arena, the champion would be Matt Bonner and runner up Gary Neal. Kevin Durant would probable lock horns with Manu Ginobili in a battle for third place.

The Spurs have the system, personnel and moxie to win against any team in any arena under any circumstance. What they lack is a good team psychologist, evidently. Popovich returning to the original rotation, having each player place a hand in a circle and on three shout “Spurs” is probably all this team needs heading into Game 6. Its not excuses and surrender the Spurs need, but a heaping shot of confidence and a good pep talk. If the Spurs lose Game 6 playing fast, carefully and freely, so be it. Then we can all say the better team won. But if the Spurs lose with Ginobili and Jackson playing 42 minutes apiece and Green and Splitter get DNP’s, we’ll all be scratching our heads all summer long.

I would also go back to the original lineup because a 20 game win streak is no fluke. Less than one week ago this Spurs team was being compared to the ’72 Lakers and being called potentially the greatest Spurs team ever. Did they truly get that bad in such a short time against a team, albeit a great team, whom they’d enjoyed considerable success this and prior seasons?

The Spurs are suffering from confidence and execution issues. Their lack of confidence is causing them to force their offense and turn the ball over to the most athletic team in transition in the NBA, not to mention the greatest free throw shooting team. The Spurs need to go into Game 6 with a calm, nothing-to-lose attitude, yet knowing the critical importance of protecting the ball on offense.

If you look at the dynamics of this series, Game 1 was a dogfight in which both teams were feeling one another out and the Spurs came out on top. For all practical purposes the Spurs won Game 2 handily, although the Thunder snuck back. But if I were a Thunder fan, I would’ve been merely halfheartedly encouraged by Game 2. The fact is the Spurs opened a commanding 22 point lead in that game due to offensive perfection. Game 3 obviously went to the Thunder. We all knew that they’d come back revving in front of their home crowd. Game 4 was a fluke game in which Durant became unstoppable and played a fourth quarter for the ages while Serge Ibaka shot 11/11 and benefited from a couple of suspect calls. Still, the Spurs got within a couple with minutes remaining in the game.

Enter Game 5. Gregg Popovich made a grave mistake by butchering his lineup. In a way he cannot be blamed because, historically speaking, Game 5 is a borderline must win game. I’ll be honest and admit that I was excited to see Manu starting, but that plan backfired because role players like Neal shot 0/6. Worse, the Spurs coughed up the ball 21 times again. I don’t care how athletic a team is, the Spurs are veteran and smart enough, whether at home or on the road, to be able to keep turnovers below 10. Had the Spurs kept the turnovers to 15 they would’ve won Game 5 at the free throw line fairly comfortably.

The San Antonio Spurs are an epic, dynastic franchise during The Tim Duncan Era. The Spurs own an unimaginable record of 15 straight 50+ win seasons, and they recently fired off 20 straight wins against predominately excellent competition. True, the Thunder deserve immense credit for disrupting the Spurs’ game plan, offensive flow, exploiting their athletic advantage and for simply making championship caliber clutch shots, such as James Harden’s devastating step back three to win Game 5.

But by no means should the Spurs be written off in Game 6. This is a team with tremendous pride and unity and I am certain that Popovich and his staff will be reminding his players what got them this far and how they have already won in Oklahoma City this season. Simply cutting their turnovers in half will keep the Spurs within striking distance late in the fourth. But if Green, Neal or Bonner can merely convert a couple of three pointers, not an 18 point onslaught, mind you, but if each can hit just one three pointer, this series changes. The fact is the Big Three will show up Wednesday as will Stephen Jackson.

The Spurs will not lay down and get run out of the gym. The Thunder will have to earn this victory against a team which has been on this stage before and knows that this might be its last opportunity in many seasons to come that they advance this far in the playoffs. I am expecting the Spurs to let it fly and bring a fighting spirit tomorrow night.

Another thing merits mentioning. This is not the Spurs vs. the Lakers in the 2001 playoffs, where the Spurs were the overwhelming favorite to win that series, only to get destroyed by an average margin of 22 points in a humiliating, franchise course altering sweep. No, the Spurs have had a legitimate shot to win every game except Game 3. Game 6 is by no means a lock for the Thunder as Game 4 was for the Lakers when Avery Johnson was our point guard.

And fans need to stop overanalyzing body language. I’ve heard local talk radio abuzz with callers claiming Tim Duncan looked defeated late in the fourth quarter. He was dog tired! He was playing hard at 36 years old against the world's most elite competition! He was doing anything but quitting! Was he supposed to smile and smirk and roll his eyes?

Its deflating to lose a game like Game 5, but believe me, Duncan and his teammates will show up for Game 6. I think Spurs fans would be wise to trust in the stellar Spurs brand over the next day or so and tune out the national and even local media. They are trying to boost ratings while the Spurs are preparing to play a game of basketball, not go to war.

Just enjoy Game 6 and the tremendous effort Hall of Famer Duncan and his brothers will put forth in Oklahoma City tomorrow night!

I am looking for the Spurs to recollect themselves and play the game of their lives. This is a fly-under-the-radar team. I’m sure all the national love they were receiving last week irked them, because it even irked me as a fan! Knowing that they have been written off and given virtually zero chance of victory in Game 6, I expect this savvy veteran squad to light one more fire and stun the basketball world. I think they’ll dig down and make a few critical late stops and, finally, FINALLY, someone other than Manu Ginobili will hit a couple of late killer threes.

This team looked dead from the get-go when they lost their first five or six road games to start the season. Nobody in their right mind thought the Spurs would sniff the Western Conference Finals, much less be labeled a dynasty again. But this team has defied odds and age all season long. They’ve dazzled their fans and have not begged for the limelight. We need to enjoy this moment and not bash and quit on this team when they need us most. If Spurs fans expect the Spurs to win tomorrow night, then we all need to adapt a winning attitude and believe that the very possible might happen tomorrow night.

I predict Spurs 102 Thunder 99.

dbreiden83080
06-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Take care of the ball and you have a chance.. That is the only way they can win. They can't get stops but they can outscore them if they take care of the damn ball..

21 TO for 28 pts last night..

GrandeDavid
06-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Take care of the ball and you have a chance.. That is the only way they can win. They can't get stops but they can outscore them if they take care of the damn ball..

That's exactly what I'm talking about. These games are turning ultimately on a couple of late plays. Had Buckets made that easy layup with a couple minutes left in the game....had just a couple of those 21 turnovers not occurred...so many what ifs!

The bottom line is its not like the Spurs are getting blown out of the water. Manu needs help its time for guys to simply do their jobs. Not be spectacular, but be serviceable and we'll have a shot.

PublicOption
06-05-2012, 11:17 AM
turnovers usually come from hacks that aren't called. Fisher knows the league and has the inside from Stern (see labor agreement)=Thunder win.

SpursFaninMS
06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
-How are those role players going to get those shots?

-You mentioned all the things that went wrong for us last night. Fact is, we had three of their key players with four fouls early in the third...and that doesn't include Perkins who fouled out. Thabo and Ibaka played 20 minutes a piece. I doubt we are going to get that opportunity again--much less on the road in OKC.

I just don't see that we have an answer to what they have done on defense in terms of personnel and strategy. The only chance is Duncan turning back the clock and beasting out.

It isn't impossible because it is basketball. But the only ways I see us winning are if either OKC has a terrible night shooting or Duncan AND Ginobili have monster games.

Jimcs50
06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm hoping that Thunder just stop hitting great shots even with great defense. They hit some shots yesterday that were nothing short of mana from God.

The Spurs played great D in second half, but Thunder just kept getting baskets that only Jesus himself could have made.

GrandeDavid
06-05-2012, 12:03 PM
-How are those role players going to get those shots?

-You mentioned all the things that went wrong for us last night. Fact is, we had three of their key players with four fouls early in the third...and that doesn't include Perkins who fouled out. Thabo and Ibaka played 20 minutes a piece. I doubt we are going to get that opportunity again--much less on the road in OKC.

I just don't see that we have an answer to what they have done on defense in terms of personnel and strategy. The only chance is Duncan turning back the clock and beasting out.

It isn't impossible because it is basketball. But the only ways I see us winning are if either OKC has a terrible night shooting or Duncan AND Ginobili have monster games.

The main thing I'm saying is go with what got you here, reduce certain players' minutes of necessary, and obviously you emphasize the Big Three, especially late. Hope that turnovers are lessened, a shot or two falls from any non-Argentine and if you still lose then you tip your hat to OKC. I've got a feeling, which is ultimately a guess, that role players might finally get a little luckier. Nobody needs to light it up other than perhaps Manu, but solid contributions shouldn't be too much to ask.

acoelho1
06-05-2012, 12:18 PM
To win game 6, Parker needs to step up and have a 25+ point game. We need to limit our turnovers like in games 1 and 2 and control their role players. The big 3 in game 2 had almost 90 points between them and still lost. Also, I would stop doubling and helping so much, which is giving their role players open shots. Lastly, we need to play with toughness and determination. I don't like losing but if we do giving our best effort than so be it. GO SPURS!!

ginobili fan
06-05-2012, 12:21 PM
To win game 6, we have to make Duncan works early in the paint and goes in tempo.
If not, even if Manu or Parker have a good game we're screwed.

polandprzem
06-05-2012, 12:23 PM

That was the same talk after game 3
You was watching the series?

ginobili fan
06-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Whether TD doens't succeed early he must keep attacking the OKC Big Men all game long.
He's a smart player , he can make his opponent be in the trouble.
Then Parker needs to step up, he did this tons of time why shouldn't he ?
Manu comes off the bench with the momentum.
SJax starts.
And shorten the rotation Pop!!!

spurs10
06-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks for your optimism and thoughts GrandeDavid. I agree with many of your points including not putting DNP's on people who were in the rotation for the entire season. Stop the excessive TO's and make a few outside shots and we win. If our role players can find their balls and regain some confidence things could shift rapidly. We are missing a lot of open shots and still in the game. I still think we will need our veterans to play a lot of minutes, but they have to have something left to close the game. A win tomorrow is very possible.

DarrinS
06-05-2012, 02:29 PM
It's all about Parker. As he goes, so goes the team. It's not any more complicated than that.

Spurs Brazil
06-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Ótimo post GrandeDavid. Vamos virar essa série!

CosmicCowboy
06-05-2012, 03:49 PM
To win game 6, we have to make Duncan works early in the paint and goes in tempo.
If not, even if Manu or Parker have a good game we're screwed.

Have you watched the games? They are cheating off the wings and packing 3-5 in the paint and then recovering quickly on the pitchouts. It's an immediate double/triple team on Tim every time. He just isn't young enough to beat the physical double teams. As someone else said...the first move is for our role players to make some shots so they have to spread the floor and give the big 3 room to work.

T Park
06-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Three straight wins and it's been three straight different role players

Sefolosha game 3,
Ibaka game 4,
Daquan Cook game 5.

If you limit the others outside the big three you win. Hence why they won 1 and 2.

T Park
06-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I'd put Manu back on the bench, start Stephen Jackson.

Bring in Manu, Splitter, Blair, Green.

That's it.

Play the big three 38 plus.

GrandeDavid
06-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks for your optimism and thoughts GrandeDavid. I agree with many of your points including not putting DNP's on people who were in the rotation for the entire season. Stop the excessive TO's and make a few outside shots and we win. If our role players can find their balls and regain some confidence things could shift rapidly. We are missing a lot of open shots and still in the game. I still think we will need our veterans to play a lot of minutes, but they have to have something left to close the game. A win tomorrow is very possible.

I'm glad we are in agreement, now let's hope the Spurs know this in their hearts.

GrandeDavid
06-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Ótimo post GrandeDavid. Vamos virar essa série!

Eu espero, amigo! Não sei se voce esta asistindo mas OKC esta aparecendo bem superior. E uma pena que as reservas do San Antônio estão jogando tão ruim.

ace3g
06-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Have to close out each quarter with our best line ups. We have done well most of this series at the beginning of each quarter, but there were times where we could have only been down 2-4 pts but ends up being 7-10+ pts going into the next quarter/half.

Need lots of Parker, Manu, Kawhi, SJAX, and Duncan.

temujin
06-05-2012, 04:42 PM
turnovers usually come from hacks that aren't called. Fisher knows the league and has the inside from Stern (see labor agreement)=Thunder win.

Interesting idea.

But then why would the Lakers let him go?

Arcadian
06-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Good take.

Gregg Popovich must play the lineup that got him this far.

Agreed.

tkang456
06-05-2012, 04:48 PM
One Word: Parker, enough said

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-05-2012, 04:48 PM
I'd put Manu back on the bench, start Stephen Jackson.

Bring in Manu, Splitter, Blair, Green.

That's it.

Play the big three 38 plus.

I like this idea. For one thing, TP has to show up and dominate this game for us to win. (Same for Tim, he's been awol as well but he's older and with Perkin's solid defense I think that's expected.)

Also, by bringing Manu back off the bench this should put the focus back on Parker to lead the way. I understand this might make it easier for the Thunder to defend but Parker needs to start the game knowing that it's up to him and that Manu isn't on the court to defer to. I'm not playing to either Church, just saying what I think needs to happen.

GrandeDavid
06-05-2012, 07:40 PM
One Word: Parker, enough said

How did teams not figure out how to stop him before? Unbelievable what we've witnessed. I have a feeling he's due to shine tomorrow night.

ALVAREZ6
06-05-2012, 07:48 PM

This is all that matters, it's what they need to focus on. They will not flat out stop the Thunder, especially at home. They can score pretty damn well. And they're great on defense, so you really need to take care of the ball.

What's most frustrating to me is this is the area in which the Spurs should be exploiting their advantage on, being older and more experienced, especially in playoff basketball. They obviously know they can't hang with the Thunder athletically, they need all the shots they can get, and that means few turnovers.

Thomas82
06-05-2012, 07:51 PM
All I have to say is, the media already has OKC and Miami in the Finals. If that, along with the fact that OKC's players are acting cocky and the Spurs are DANGEROUSLY close to squandering a golden opportunity is not enough to motivate them, NOTHING will. Also, imagine how embarrassing it would be for them to be #1 in the West 2 years in a row, and still not get it done.

therealtruth
06-06-2012, 03:52 AM
This is all that matters, it's what they need to focus on. They will not flat out stop the Thunder, especially at home. They can score pretty damn well. And they're great on defense, so you really need to take care of the ball.

What's most frustrating to me is this is the area in which the Spurs should be exploiting their advantage on, being older and more experienced, especially in playoff basketball. They obviously know they can't hang with the Thunder athletically, they need all the shots they can get, and that means few turnovers.

The Mavs had a problem with unforced turnovers against the Heat in the Finals. They got that problem under control and ended up winning the series. The Spurs need to do the same thing. I can't understand why Pop would not emphasize that. Especially the live ball turnovers.