PDA

View Full Version : The elephant in the room...Duncan's new contract.

BadMotorscooter
06-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Timmy has been the face of the franchise and brought us 4 championships so far but no one can deny his skills have diminished. His contract is up after this year and it sounds like he wants to play another year or two. Here is where the problem is gonna be....what is a fair price to give Duncan? Obviously he isnt a 20+ mil/yr player anymore and the Spurs front office would be crazy to pay him that...so what do you think he is worth? I say he is worth somewhere in the 10-12 mil/yr range and he may take that as a slap in the face if he was offered that.

Spurs4#5
06-05-2012, 05:50 PM
If Duncan is smart which I think he is..the only thing he'll be playing for is championships not money...so if hr wants a shot he'll take less to free up some cap space

TXstbobcat
06-05-2012, 06:21 PM
2 years @ 10 million per year. Done deal.

BadMotorscooter
06-05-2012, 06:27 PM
2 years @ 10 million per year. Done deal.

And I think that is an acceptable contract. I dont think Duncan will.

dbreiden83080
06-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Duncan's deal being up and if he wants to play another year is not a problem in any way. Duncan has always been team first he just wants to win.. He'll take a fair reduction and leave the Spurs plenty of cap space..

Richie
06-05-2012, 06:28 PM
One year at whatever we have under the cap ($13m) then one more at mle money would work

DMC
06-05-2012, 06:31 PM
The way he was holding his daughter (made me cry tbh), he looks like a goner this year to me.

dbreiden83080
06-05-2012, 06:33 PM
The way he was holding his daughter (made me cry tbh), he looks like a goner this year to me.

Maybe.. I hope not if they can improve a little in the offseason they will still be right there 1 more time..

007nites
06-05-2012, 06:33 PM
If he leaves. He will be offered 12-14mil a year somewhere else.

tesseractive
06-05-2012, 06:34 PM
And I think that is an acceptable contract. I dont think Duncan will.

I think the way you approach it is pretty simple: in order to bring in whoever on the LLE, resign Danny, and sign Boris for the MLE, the max contract we can give you is X. Any more than that, and we only have the Mini-MLE and we lose Boris.

If we want to make a trade and it changes the numbers (e.g. by giving us a first round pick with the corresponding cap allocation), then adjust the numbers accordingly.

At the end of the day, if Timmy doesn't accept below a certain amount, we lose other players. I doubt that's what he wants.

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2012, 06:39 PM
lol clowns in here want to give him a loyalty contract

time to rebuild and start dismantling the big3 for the new big3

u cant have choke artists magicians as ur vets

Keepin' it real
06-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Retire, Timmeh. Leave you legacy intact.

Even with all the rest you got this season, even with a week off between series, and even though there's no b2b's in this round, it's obvious you got nothing left in the tank. I shutter to think what you'll look like a year older and slower.

Spurs4#5
06-05-2012, 06:51 PM
I'd only have him sign a one year deal this way hr and many come off the books at the same time

BadMotorscooter
06-05-2012, 06:53 PM
I'd only have him sign a one year deal this way hr and many come off the books at the same time

But what would be a fair 1 year salary? I dont see him taking 10 or 12 mil. I think he'll want at least 15 or more.

Spurs Brazil
06-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Pay what TD wants, if he wants the minimum do it. If he wants $20M pay. He deserves

ALVAREZ6
06-05-2012, 08:12 PM

:lmao @ the considering it even a small probability that Duncan doesn't retire a Spur
:lmao the same with Manu

MI21
06-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Tim has earned the right to get paid what he likes, tbh. If he wants $20M a year meaning the franchise can't obtain any new pieces, I'm fine with it. Tim has given the Spurs a Top 10 all time career when he could of bolted.

I support the name on the front of the jersey, but tbh, the name on the front of the jersey for the best part of 15 years may as well have been Duncan. Pay the man.

DeadlyDynasty
I'd welcome him for the LLE. He could back-up Jordan Hill. His experience is a plus:tu

MI21

You are such a dumb Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_.

tesseractive
06-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I'd welcome him for the LLE. He could back-up Jordan Hill. His experience is a plus:tu

I'd say the same about Kobe, but we need guys who can keep the ball moving until it finds the open man. TBH, Danny Green has had a better showing during the playoffs.

DeadlyDynasty
06-05-2012, 08:23 PM
I'd say the same about Kobe, but we need guys who can keep the ball moving until it finds the open man. TBH, Danny Green has had a better showing during the playoffs.

Is that why he was benched and played only 5 minutes in Game 5?

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Pay Timmy whatever he wants, he deserves to retire a Spur. And I pray this isn't Timmy's last year, he's my favorite athlete of all time and it hurts to think of the possibility that I may never watch him play in person. The one Spurs game I attended Pop sat the big three.

Juggity
06-05-2012, 08:31 PM

imo, Danny green played a better second round than Kobe :lol

DeadlyDynasty
06-05-2012, 08:32 PM
imo, Danny green played a better second round than Kobe :lol

Which is why nobody cares for your opinion.:lol

tesseractive
06-05-2012, 08:32 PM

How many minutes has Kobe played in the WCFs this year?

Spurs4#5
06-05-2012, 08:36 PM
But what would be a fair 1 year salary? I dont see him taking 10 or 12 mil. I think he'll want at least 15 or more.

They'll tell Tim Duncan u can have whatever you want but keep in mind if u want to compete for a championship we need some money to bring people in and resign players

Keepin' it real
06-05-2012, 08:55 PM
They'll tell Tim Duncan u can have whatever you want but keep in mind if u want to compete for a championship we need some money to bring people in and resign players

Yeah, but then Timmeh will ask, "Is Bonner still on the team?" When the Spurs, after a long pause, say yes, Timmeh will reply, "Championship? Yeah right. Pay me."

Spurs9
06-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Pay Timmy whatever he wants, he deserves to retire a Spur. And I pray this isn't Timmy's last year, he's my favorite athlete of all time and it hurts to think of the possibility that I may never watch him play in person. The one Spurs game I attended Pop sat the big three.
It has to happen at sometime, we shouldn't overpay either. I say get Roy Ribbert and some others in off season

tesseractive
06-05-2012, 09:01 PM
It has to happen at sometime, we shouldn't overpay either. I say get Roy Ribbert and some others in off season
Restricted free agent.

The Reckoning
06-05-2012, 09:04 PM
sign him back as an assistant coach

BadMotorscooter
06-05-2012, 09:14 PM
sign him back as an assistant coach

That wont happen. Duncan will be done with basketball and not want to coach....just like Robinson. Just like another player I think would have made a great coach but has no desire to do it....Robert Horry. These guys I mentioned are to passive and content in their lives. They are ready to move on and dont want to coach.

Spurs4#5
06-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Yeah, but then Timmeh will ask, "Is Bonner still on the team?" When the Spurs, after a long pause, say yes, Timmeh will reply, "Championship? Yeah right. Pay me."
true...we're on the hook for him for the next two years at around 7.5 million...and we wouldn't expect the spurs to do the only smart thing and amnesty him since there's no one else on this roster they would use it on

eyeh8u
06-05-2012, 09:25 PM
in the real world , when you start not producing like you used to, you get canned. In the nba you get a raise. Duncan was paid 204,709,155, for his services, he was paid what he earned. im all for loyalty from both sides, look at his production this year, compare to what similar players get paid, give him that.

Juggity
06-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Which is why nobody cares for your opinion.:lol

I dunno, the results speak for themselves.

Kobe shit det bed in almost every game of the series. :lol

TOSB, imo.

jack sommerset
06-05-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm hoping Tim will take his talents to the west coast or the big apple. Enjoy life a little bit in a city while still playing ball. God bless

100%duncan
06-05-2012, 09:41 PM

Fuck yo facts clown.

BatManu20
06-05-2012, 10:32 PM
2 years at 8-9 million p/year

DMC
06-05-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm hoping Tim will take his talents to the west coast or the big apple. Enjoy life a little bit in a city while still playing ball. God bless
Tim already said he will retire a Spur.

Andthentherewas21
06-05-2012, 11:24 PM
I would pay him something commensurate with his production. I'm all for the loyalty aspect, but if its for longer than a year, your just hamstringing the team. Tim is and will forever be my favorite player and the main reason I started to follow the Spurs, and basketball in general (I appreciate the history of Robinson and the few years I saw at the end of his career, but everything else I was still in elementary school so kind of hard to appreciate it at the time). Still from an organizational standpoint and a professional standpoint, Tim has been paid, quite well. If money was the object of him playing, he would have taken any number of lucrative national endorsement deals he declined over his many years.

I think he asks for something to compensate for the time away from his family, something similar to players close to what he produces, and maybe a little beyond given the familiarity with the Spurs. Anything beyond 10-11 million (which may be a little high), and then I think he would be doing a disservice to the fans and the organization. Tim is a winner and I think he would do what he could to assist the team in acquiring the players to do that as long as he gets paid fairly for what he brings to the court on a nightly basis.

(On a side-note, I wonder if Pop and the Spurs could get him to lower his asking price by reminding him he won't be playing most back-to-backs, and will be getting nights off periodically)

PublicOption
06-05-2012, 11:33 PM
If Duncan destroys OKC tomorrow $12-15 million. If he sucks tomorrow. $5 mil or trade him.

In all seriousness Tim is playing for about an extra 4-5 million tonight. the difference between 8-9mill to 13-15million.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-06-2012, 12:16 AM

How many minutes did Kobe play in YOUR WCFs game 5?

Wild Cobra Kai
06-06-2012, 12:17 AM

You don't know the first damn thing about Duncan.

Juggity
06-06-2012, 12:31 AM
If Duncan destroys OKC tomorrow $12-15 million. If he sucks tomorrow. $5 mil or trade him.

Did ya miss the "spur for life" comment?

Salty
06-06-2012, 01:09 AM

http://www.gifflix.com/files/d7bc719cc79c.gif

therealtruth
06-06-2012, 03:11 AM
Tim already said he will retire a Spur.

Yeah he blew his leverage.

Kuestmaster
06-06-2012, 05:39 AM
Pay what TD wants, if he wants the minimum do it. If he wants $20M pay. He deserves

this. I can't believe what I'm seeing here with a lot of people wanting him to retire o lowballing him. It's just sad. He'll do whatever he wants, and I'm perfectly fine with it

007nites
06-06-2012, 07:03 AM

:lol

PublicOption
06-06-2012, 08:56 AM

In all seriousness Tim is playing for about an extra 4-5 million tonight. the difference between 8-9mill to 13-15million.

bump.

Basketball Power
06-06-2012, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't mind him going to lakers if it meant he'd win another titlte

CosmicCowboy
06-06-2012, 09:49 AM
There is a precedent already that involved TD...The senior superstar (David Robinson) took less so that Timmy could get paid and they could keep their championship level team together. I think TD will follow that pattern...I'm not saying vet minimum, but not max either...