PDA

View Full Version : Boston proves what we use to do...defense wins championships.

BadMotorscooter
06-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Celtics go into Miami and win with defense. A pivotal game 5 on the road. We have become the Phoenix Suns part II and it will be our downfall. Remember when the Suns would win 50+ games a year and we would all laugh because we knew they couldnt win a championship without defense? Well....here we are.....

honestfool84
06-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Boston hasn't - and probably won't - win a championship.

Leetonidas
06-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Chris Bosh.

/thread

BadMotorscooter
06-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Boston hasn't - and probably won't - win a championship.

If Boston makes the Finals....I like their chances alot. Us or the Thunder dont play any defense at all.

Sean Cagney
06-05-2012, 10:27 PM
YEP, Spurs are hitting shots and getting back into it but they can't make the key stops anymore.

Keepin' it real
06-05-2012, 10:28 PM
They won the championship? Dang, I thought for sure OKC would have beaten them.

Arcadian
06-05-2012, 10:30 PM
I don't know about you guys, but Boston winning tonight makes me feel better about the Spurs' situation. It can happen to Miami, it can happen to us...it happens. Both series are not over.

dunkman
06-05-2012, 10:32 PM
The C's are a terrific team. They are so poised playing at road, they execute, Rondo gets them all easy baskets, they are clutch, play great defense and seldom panic.

Hopefully the Spurs will play like that in OKC.

eyeh8u
06-05-2012, 10:35 PM
I don't know about you guys, but Boston winning tonight makes me feel better about the Spurs' situation. It can happen to Miami, it can happen to us...it happens. Both series are not over.

i feel the same way. if they control the turnovers they could have won each game, and will win in game 6 and 7

Legacy
06-05-2012, 10:36 PM

:tu

*snickers*

Richie
06-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Players like Pietrus and Cook stepping up and hitting 3s have made them big difference makers in the last few days.

In comparison, Green and Neal have consistently missed wide open shots

Sean Cagney
06-05-2012, 10:38 PM

That is true.

If Boston makes the Finals....I like their chances alot. Us or the Thunder dont play any defense at all.

Thunder for sure are playing better D right now though, not great D but still they get stops. Boston would have a shot though.

MI21
06-05-2012, 10:41 PM
If Ginobili makes that 3 at the end, then we may be talking about something similar with the Spurs and there ability to fight back from 13 with 5 minutes left.. Difference with this one was that Pierce splashed it..

100%duncan
06-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Yah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xsDdIByh8A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xsDdIByh8A

weebo
06-05-2012, 10:43 PM
big reason the spurs are losing is that our role players are choking while the celts and okc role players are clutching up

Keepin' it real
06-05-2012, 10:44 PM

I knew someone would say this! I want to understand how/why this makes you feel better. Can you explain?

I could see someone feeling better about the Spurs' situation if Miami had just won game 6 on the road. But I fail to see how another team blowing a home game 5 gives you any solace.

HI-FI
06-05-2012, 10:46 PM
big reason the spurs are losing is that our role players are choking while the celts and okc role players are clutching up

true, plus Rondo >>>> Parker

KDtrey5
06-05-2012, 10:49 PM

Thunders don't play defense ahahahha. Thunder was ranked top 5 in defensive team this year in crunch situations. Thabo, Ibaka, Perkins and Collison are the top defensive players on okc. Durant always shits on Pierce when they face each other.

BadMotorscooter
06-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Guys....none of the first 3 quarters went over a combined 45....that is defense at its best. It was on a pace after the 3rdQ to only be a 175 total type game.

dbreiden83080
06-05-2012, 10:54 PM
OKC has as good an offense as i have ever seen.. Who the hell can stop them from putting up these numbers? Spurs are IMO the only team that can play with them because our offense is so good. Spurs can beat them when they take care of the ball in a high scoring affair. Trying to grind out a win against OKC will not happen for Boston or anyone else. They just have too many weapons..

dbreiden83080
06-05-2012, 10:55 PM

Your nuts.. OKC in 5 at most...

Brazil
06-05-2012, 10:57 PM

true, btw KG >>>>>Duncan

SpurPadre
06-05-2012, 10:57 PM
i feel the same way. if they control the turnovers they could have won each game, and will win in game 6 and 7

We only had 10 turnovers in Game 4 and still lost by 6. That's not our only problem.

BadMotorscooter
06-05-2012, 10:58 PM
OKC has as good an offense as i have ever seen.. Who the hell can stop them from putting up these numbers? Spurs are IMO the only team that can play with them because our offense is so good. Spurs can beat them when they take care of the ball in a high scoring affair. Trying to grind out a win against OKC will not happen for Boston or anyone else. They just have too many weapons..

And here we go....sound famaliar Spurs fans? I remember Phoenix fans saying the same thing when they were averaging 110+/gm. People said...who can stop that? Its impossible. But our Spurs did with defense. Boston would do the same with the young Thunder.

SpurPadre
06-05-2012, 10:58 PM

And they keep pulling off crazy shots out of their asses. They can play blindfolded and still hit most of their jumpers.

BadMotorscooter
06-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Look I remember Phoenix winning 60 games in a season...Amare averaging 35+/gm in the playoffs on us...Nash tearing it up...Marion...Bell...they had weapons galore. We beat them with defense. Boston is what we use to be. If Boston makes the Finals against the Thunder...I take Boston....easily.

Keepin' it real
06-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Look I remember Phoenix winning 60 games in a season...Amare averaging 35+/gm in the playoffs on us...Nash tearing it up...Marion...Bell...they had weapons galore. We beat them with defense. Boston is what we use to be. If Boston makes the Finals against the Thunder...I take Boston....easily.

I agree with this, and when we all thought the Spurs were headed to the Finals, Boston is the only eastern conference team I feared. Their D can beat anyone in a 7-game series.

KDtrey5
06-05-2012, 11:09 PM
And here we go....sound famaliar Spurs fans? I remember Phoenix fans saying the same thing when they were averaging 110+/gm. People said...who can stop that? Its impossible. But our Spurs did with defense. Boston would do the same with the young Thunder.

Defensively we are better then boston and offensively we totally outmatched them. Ibaka would shut down brandon bass. Perkins the best low post defender can i think shut down Garnett. Thunders are similar to the Heat but we shot and score better than them. Celtics went seven games against philly and you think they will give okc problems? hahahahahaha :rollin

BadMotorscooter
06-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Defensively we are better then boston and offensively we totally outmatched them. Ibaka would shut down brandon bass. Perkins the best low post defender can i think shut down Garnett. Thunders are similar to the Heat but we shot and score better than them. Celtics went seven games against philly and you think they will give okc problems? hahahahahaha :rollin

Defensively...you are better than Boston? Seriously?

dbreiden83080
06-05-2012, 11:11 PM

No they won't.. Have you watched these playoffs?? Celts need 7 games to get bye the 76ers who have ZERO offensive weapons but they are beating the Thunder with Durant, Westbrook and Harden plus a deep bench..

Lend me some of what you are smoking...

SA210
06-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Celtics go into Miami and win with defense. A pivotal game 5 on the road. We have become the Phoenix Suns part II and it will be our downfall. Remember when the Suns would win 50+ games a year and we would all laugh because we knew they couldnt win a championship without defense? Well....here we are.....

Starts at the top, tbh

BadMotorscooter
06-05-2012, 11:13 PM
No they won't.. Have you watched these playoffs?? Celts need 7 games to get bye the 76ers who have ZERO offensive weapons but they are beating the Thunder with Durant, Westbrook and Harden plus a deep bench..

Lend me some of what you are smoking...

As much as I want the Spurs in the Finals...I dont see it happening now. It looks like Thunder/Boston...stick around for the Finals and lets see who was right...I got defense...you got offense.

dbreiden83080
06-05-2012, 11:14 PM

That was Tim Duncan in his prime and in 2005 so was Manu.. 2007 both were close to prime and Tony didn't suck...

BadMotorscooter
06-05-2012, 11:16 PM
That was Tim Duncan in his prime and in 2005 so was Manu.. 2007 both were close to prime and Tony didn't suck...

We'll see soon.

KDtrey5
06-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Defensively...you are better than Boston? Seriously?

What happen when thabo sefolosha was switch to parker after game 2?
Why all of sudden spurs are getting 18 turnovers per game?

PublicOption
06-05-2012, 11:26 PM
All it proves is the league WILL not put 2 small market teams in the finals.....EVER.

PublicOption
06-05-2012, 11:27 PM
What happen when thabo sefolosha was switch to parker after game 2?
Why all of sudden spurs are getting 18 turnovers per game?

we only got 10 in one game and still lost.

KDtrey5
06-05-2012, 11:36 PM
we only got 10 in one game and still lost.

so what ever happen to tony parker since thabo sefolosha was swtich on him? I never see him go 16-21 again :lol i wonder why lol

Man In Black
06-05-2012, 11:51 PM
As if those 2 big 3's that Pietrus hit on OFFENSE didn't mean anything?

Just 1 guy needs to do that and the Spurs win game 6.

BatManu20
06-06-2012, 12:29 AM
:lmao that's a good one
true, btw KG >>>>>Duncan

SamoanTD
06-06-2012, 12:52 AM
It's the Eastern Conference they fucking suck.

crc21209
06-06-2012, 12:56 AM
I sure hope the Spurs were watching this game, especially Timmy and Tony. I hope they saw that Rondo and KG gutted out a huge win on the road for their team. And yeah I agree that Pietrus stepped up huge for them tonight with some good D and he hit some clutch 3's. SOMEONE, whether it's Green, Neal, or Bonner...just a couple of 3's will help.

bresilhac
06-06-2012, 01:25 AM

You're right. Additionally, the most devastating of all the facets of OKC's game was their ability to remain poised, confident and effective throughout the late flurry by the Spurs in game 5. This maturity factor by OKC was the downfall of San Antonio in that game. That and that absurd 4-point play by Harden. Anyway, to get into a scoring contest with the likes of the Thunder again would be foolhardy for sure. I agree that the Spurs offense is good enough to win game 6 and the series, but they have got to return to their old defensive ways if they are going to prevail ultimately.

Paranoid Pop
06-06-2012, 01:48 AM

true, btw KG >>>>>Duncan

Rondo and KG are going head to head with Chalmers and Joel Anthony...

Hooks
06-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Boston and the rest of the East suck, BAD. Anyone who thinks the Celtics/Heat even have a chance at beating whoever comes out the West is delusional. The only way Miami doesn't get swept against SA/OKC is if they're fully healthy and everybody on their team is playing well.

Durant 35
06-06-2012, 03:06 AM

What? We have been one if the best defensive teams this season.

Legacy
06-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Rondo and KG are going head to head with Chalmers and Joel Anthony...

Who?? :huh

You mean there are more than 3 players on TEAM LeBron? :lol

BadMotorscooter
06-06-2012, 12:02 PM
What? We have been one if the best defensive teams this season.

Say what? The Thunder were 17th in the league in the regular season in points allowed. In the playoffs, OKC is 10th in points allowed...and thats out of 16 teams.....thats not good defense at all.

Durant 35
06-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Say what? The Thunder were 17th in the league in the regular season in points allowed. In the playoffs, OKC is 10th in points allowed...and thats out of 16 teams.....thats not good defense at all.

Anybody who knows basketball knows defense is based off how points you give up. Obviously thunder will give up more due to the pace.

Fact is the thunder were ranked 3rd in opp FG% at 42.7%.. Which Is a far better measurement for defense than PPG ever is

BadMotorscooter
06-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Anybody who knows basketball knows defense is based off how points you give up. Obviously thunder will give up more due to the pace.

Fact is the thunder were ranked 3rd in opp FG% at 42.7%.. Which Is a far better measurement for defense than PPG ever is

We can go by your stat requirements...thats fine by me. OKC is 8th out of 16 teams in the playoffs for opponents FG%. Not good at all...and just in case you are wondering the Celtics are #2.

Durant 35
06-06-2012, 12:20 PM
We can go by your stat requirements...thats fine by me. OKC is 8th out of 16 teams in the playoffs for opponents FG%. Not good at all...and just in case you are wondering the Celtics are #2.

Never claimed we are better defensively than Boston.We are solid enough in that area and with our offense that's all that matters. When we need stops we get them as these playoffs have shown.

One thing Is for sure we are closer defensively to Boston than they are to us offensively.

GrandeDavid
06-06-2012, 12:30 PM

Hey, we could always throw our unstoppable pick and roll at them! Oh wait...it's figured out! :/

rr2418
06-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Pop has many times indicated that the Spurs can't play defense like in years past. Why is this? Besides not having a D-Rob or Bowen, what are the reasons? Were there changes to defensive rules, (e.i. hand checking, zone)?

DontStopBelieving
06-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Pop has many times indicated that the Spurs can't play defense like in years past. Why is this? Besides not having a D-Rob or Bowen, what are the reasons? Were there changes to defensive rules, (e.i. hand checking, zone)?

duncan

BadMotorscooter
06-06-2012, 04:20 PM
We obviously miss a guy like Bowen but its also the bench players. Robert Horry was tenacious. Remember him knocking Nash into the scorer's table?

SenorSpur
06-06-2012, 06:31 PM
The Celtics, as old as they are - much older than the Spurs - are still playing maniacal defense. It's a true testimony to their mental toughness, their heart and their will. They certainly have proven that it can still be done - even at an advanced age.

We all know Duncan, our longtime defensive anchor has declined. However, as I've stated many times, his decline could've been somewhat mitigated had the Spurs brass elected to invest in a young, frontcourt player or two, who could do some of the things Duncan used to do. Having at least one reserve big, who could rebound, block some shots, defend the post and some provide interior scoring depth would gone a long way toward helping Duncan in his advanced age. Blair and Bonner simply proved to be too inadequate to do the job.

What ever happens after this year, I hope this has forced Pop and RC to re-evaluate the makeup of the Spurs frontcourt. Splitter and Diaw are both serviceable. However, the Spurs really need to try and upgrade the roster to enable them to get stops when necessary, while helping them to redefine their defensive identity.

Legacy
06-07-2012, 12:02 PM
The Celtics, as old as they are - much older than the Spurs - are still playing maniacal defense. It's a true testimony to their mental toughness, their heart and their will. They certainly have proven that it can still be done - even at an advanced age.

We all know Duncan, our longtime defensive anchor has declined. However, as I've stated many times, his decline could've been somewhat mitigated had the Spurs brass elected to invest in a young, frontcourt player or two, who could do some of the things Duncan used to do. Having at least one reserve big, who could rebound, block some shots, defend the post and some provide interior scoring depth would gone a long way toward helping Duncan in his advanced age. Blair and Bonner simply proved to be too inadequate to do the job.

What ever happens after this year, I hope this has forced Pop and RC to re-evaluate the makeup of the Spurs frontcourt. Splitter and Diaw are both serviceable. However, the Spurs really need to try and upgrade the roster to enable them to get stops when necessary, while helping them to redefine their defensive identity.

Beautifully worded again, SenorSpur. :toast