PDA

View Full Version : Which coach has made worse adjustments?..

HarlemHeat37
06-06-2012, 01:39 AM
Pop or Spoelstra?..

Miami's personnel is limited, but Spoelstra has not made any adjustments against Boston's zone..defensively, he's still using the "swarm" strategy, despite the Celtics thriving against it, and despite Philly giving a blueprint on stopping the Celtics..he had Bosh tonight, but opted not to use him in clutch time, allowing KG to roam..

The Spurs have been a completely different team since the Thunder put Thabo on Parker, and changed their pick and roll strategy..OKC made simple adjustments that have killed the Spurs..

Which coach has made worse adjustments, tbh?..

LnGrrrR
06-06-2012, 01:59 AM
I really didn't get why he didn't put Bosh back in. He said something after the game about "not wanting to throw him in there like that"... why not? The only reason I could see not putting him in is if Bosh was feeling the injury more than Spo is letting on.

At least Spo was smart enough to start Haslem. Anthony and Turiaf haven't done much at all this series.

Edit: Found the quote...

“I didn't think it would necessarily be fair to him to throw him in with three minutes to go,” Spoelstra said of Bosh, who went into the game with the plan of playing only limited minutes in short spurts. “But I thought he gave us some good minutes. I think that's something we can build on. He felt good physically afterward. That's a good sign.”

Fair? FAIR? Really? *shaking my head*

ElNono
06-06-2012, 02:19 AM
I thought Pop panicked, especially that lineup in the 2nd quarter wasn't serious. Even more so since they were playing with Tony who has massively regressed in the last 3 games.

As far as Miami, I actually think their biggest problem is on offense. Do they have any go-to plays? They've had time and time again chances to close out games this series and always went with some sort of ISO that ended up in a broken play.

The Reckoning
06-06-2012, 02:28 AM
pop because he has more tools to work with but STILL fucked it up

LA24
06-06-2012, 02:48 AM
Pop. For a guy who has 4 titles under his belt, he sure get's rattled easily.
Spo's just an inexperienced guy who's in over his head, much like Mike Brown.

Pop seems to lose his poise often in critical playoff games, which affects one's ability to make good adjustments.

This is what I appreciate most from guys like Phil Jackson. Unlike Pop and most coaches, Phil rarely, if ever, makes motivational speeches during timeouts. Rather than say silly things like "this is a big boys game, or it's not supposed to be easy, etc" during timeouts, Phil calmly lets his team know what's going on, what to watch out for, what they need to do more or less of. Phil talks/treats his teams as pros whereas Pop sometimes talks to his team like they're jr.high players.

Spo on the other hand is like Mike Brown. Video coordinators should stick to video coordinating.

VBM
06-06-2012, 09:28 AM
That's the one problem with Pop throwing in the white flag in Game 3. It was already going to be a loss, so he could have tinkered with some things (i.e. pairing Blair back with Duncan, letting Patty Mills run the offense with the starters, etc.). At the end of the day though, the Spurs are missing shots they made in Games 1 and 2 (sup Danny Green) and the Thunder simply aren't missing.

Leetonidas
06-06-2012, 09:31 AM
If Danny Green would find his nutsack, this series would be over.

cheguevara
06-06-2012, 09:54 AM
both have been unable to stop their teams from being run over by opposing teams that want to win.

DMC
06-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Inserting Bonner and yanking him 20 seconds later was weird. Pop is trolling Spursfan. Spo is just lost but his move might pay off if Bosh is healthy. The Heat could have won the game if they didn't run every play as an iso. It really wasn't about Bosh.

mercos
06-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Pop. Spoelstra is just not a good coach, so good moves are not expected from him. Pop is a great coach, but when his back is against the wall he starts to make erratic moves. He also waits to long to pull the plug on guys that are giving him nothing, sometimes over the course of multiple years (Bonner).

weebo
06-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Pop definitely. He's been through the playoff mill and no way in hell should he be out coached by scott fuckin brooks.

VBM
06-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Pop definitely. He's been through the playoff mill and no way in hell should he be out coached by scott fuckin brooks.

Avery Johnson and Alvin Gentry have taken out Pop before.

Twisted_Dawg
06-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Easily Pop. Should have went Jimmy Johnson on Green, Neal, and Bonner after the first two WCF games and benched them.

He should have started Sjax at 2 in Game 3, then brought Manu in at the 6 min mark, then send Tony to the bench at the 9 minute mark, move Manu to point, and bring Sjax back in. That should have been a 3 guard rotation. Maybe Green or Neal for 2 minutes on a needs basis.

TD, Meow, Blair, Leonard on the front line.

That's 7 players. Sorry if somebody gets tired.

That 2nd qtr line up was inexcuseable.

All that said, had Green, Neal and Bonner not have been gutless cowards, we might still be in this series.

ElNono
06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
This is what I appreciate most from guys like Phil Jackson. Unlike Pop and most coaches, Phil rarely, if ever, makes motivational speeches during timeouts. Rather than say silly things like "this is a big boys game, or it's not supposed to be easy, etc" during timeouts, Phil calmly lets his team know what's going on, what to watch out for, what they need to do more or less of. Phil talks/treats his teams as pros whereas Pop sometimes talks to his team like they're jr.high players.

While I do agree Phil Jackson is a much better coach than Pop, we also need to remember that both rode HoF superstars in their primes. The difference is Phil simply quit (aka retired) when the talent was no longer there, whereas Pop kept trying.

I think having a great coach is important, but it's no substitute for having actual talent to work with.

Stalin
06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
popazit, lol giving bonner regular minutes all year, and then panicking and pulling the plug on ginger in the playoffs when he predictably shits the bed

InRareForm
06-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Pop's not done yet. I think that 4rth quarter showed hope with getting easy buckets

LongtimeSpursFan
06-06-2012, 02:47 PM
I'd like to see Pop run that zone defense for a bit to make OKC have long possessions before a shot. Takes them out of their rhythm and since they dont have a big inside with good touch around basket can give Spurs a chance to rest players on defensive side. If Pop runs a shorter lineup the rest on defense will help.

Spurs da champs
06-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Pop's not done yet. I think that 4rth quarter showed hope with getting easy buckets

Both of the last 4th quarters show hope with easy buckets, problem is they don't show up for the 2nd & 3rd quarters.