PDA

View Full Version : What we do have and what we don't

polandprzem
06-06-2012, 12:04 PM
As you all can see the atmosphere on the forum is more depressing then during any other spurs playoffs. Yup, we had people jumping off the cliff and all. But now it's something more. People are down, well at least what I can tell. We not only fading elimination from this playoffs but we also can face the end of Tim Duncan era. And we might not see a shadow of any possibility having a chance to win the most important trophy In basketball - Larry O'Brien trophy. Add the gossips abort Spurs moving from San Antonio. Then when you put this all together and when you are basketball fan, NBA fan, SPURS FAN it makes you realize how important it is. Important to every each one of you to the degree you feel.

To me as a emotional person as I am it's highly important not just from a sports standpoint but also from my life perspective.

Ladies and gentleman I’m a spurs fan since 1995, though I know many of you might call me noobie /Shoog, Solid, Senor/ I always considered myself as a special fan of the spurs team.
Catching anything about NBA was not easy. No Internet, NBA was in reruns and actually it was just 40 minutes relation. Then Internet era came and I could watch more NBA, more spurs. Not just 15 secs of a game in sports flash that I was waiting for every day. Sometimes they showed, sometimes not. But I was there. /Many of you knows my sory so I'm not gonna write it again/

So to begin my story with the whole spurs project, waking up at night – watching games. Fucks here, crying there. 2004 Fisher and the start of spurstalk. I've been there I experienced it. 17 years ... jeez I was addicted. Spurs everyday in my life...
The last few years I was hoping for my team to have one more shot at championship. I'm a guy that if he is not number one he is the last. I hate losing more then I even like winning. So simple thing - I want Timmy to add one more trophy to his legacy ...

All said – the spurs again are collapsing, as they used to do.

Why?

I was wondering many times why. But this year and after game 5 it became evident to me. More clear.

This club is losing in such fashion because they are perfect, too perfect and they are a team, real team. The way the basketball should be played - they doing it. They do have a perfect system - that's why they losing.

Ohh, how come polandprzem you fricking heretic?!

The thing this year for Pop to be successful was to limit minutes and keep all guys involved. If one guy was going to the bench the other one came and gave almost the same effort. Everybody was in his role. That's why the spurs had such big rotation. Everybody knew his role. Spurs became a machine. They were machine well oiled and all tribes worked perfect. So perfect that it gave them 20 wins in a row – 10 in the playoffs. Frickin unreal!

So what happened?

OKC broke the machine. All those pick and rolls was the spurs world. You take away the biggest piece and all the perfect mechanism falls. Not the first time for Pops system. Might be the last.
You can say – it depends on the players – if they are good there is no worry cause the system works and players feel good in their roles, you prevail.
And now if you spoil this machine it cannot recover.

wtf poland? Every team got a system! Can they recover and spurs not?

Easy, my explanation lies in Pops mind. Pop more then any other coach believes in system more then in his players. That’s why you need individuals that can be creative. Do something not ordinary. Cause havoc. Make a play. Give emotions. You only can wonder how much Ginoman was important for the spurs team. IMO very very much.

Now, wait the execution in how many hours? When it will start the whole machinery have 48 minutes to prove many humans wrong. I mean they are 48 minutes from collapsing totally. Totally!

What we do not have facing OKC killers in game six?
We lost Bonner /or he lost himself/ – big part behind 3 point line for the system. We lost beast Blair who was a fighter on the boards. Also to some degree Splitter does not function well and all that rust on his hands during painful free throws made him more tentative. Green tribe is more green then a rookie. And the hell! - the French part missed in action.
The system will not help when you are used to the same situations, being on the same spot every game and now when somebody takes that spots away players don't know where to find their new area on the floor. How can you even think about rhythm in all that? Now being lost? Not playing the game that was played all season? OKC took spurs out of their game and in playoffs it's death.
Playoffs go fast 4 loses and you are out. Spurs are out. Fan is out – the great polandprzem is out and his 17 yrs of commitment ...

I realized for real! this is the end of the most interesting years cheering and being close /as close as I could/ to the Spurs. Being able to post on ST and being able to know peoples views, reactions. So many good memories ... :cry
So many usernames ...

And I know most of you do not like me at all. But I always stand by the spurs. Even though I'm making stupid posts.

The history - Spurs lost, I lost, being down many days in affect. They won I was happy or satisfied, or being okay with it cause it was suppose to be a win. Take 2005 - if not for the trophy that year I might be in a big depression, real serious. My life was not having good times and then the championship gave me something I could take going forward. And I can write here many stories how spurs did affect what I was doing.
Great community! I was glad to be a spurs fan with you all and the spurs players that are positive examples of sportsmen and sportsmanship :tu
Dave and Tim lead the way and it always stays in my mind in my heart.

So, life is life. I had nothing besides an empty passion in 1995, then I had my spurs for many years watching them play.

And now what began over 17 years ago can disappear this night - 3:00 am that is ...

Just like that

Beanzamillion21
06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Just kill yourself already.

Bulwark
06-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Agree that what makes it tougher this year is the honest belief that they had a REAL chance and were finally healthy and playing well going into the playoffs. Also, the fact that this may have been their last chance.

urunobili
06-06-2012, 12:35 PM
http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs6/i/2005/115/7/e/__Jump_Off_a_Cliff___Emoticon_by_neek_zique.gif

DeadlyDynasty
06-06-2012, 12:36 PM
It's time to let go...make way for the next generation.

SpursFaninMS
06-06-2012, 12:41 PM
The thing this year for Pop to be successful was to limit minutes and keep all guys involved. If one guy was going to the bench the other one came and gave almost the same effort. Everybody was in his role. That's why the spurs had such big rotation. Everybody knew his role. Spurs became a machine. They were machine well oiled and all tribes worked perfect. So perfect that it gave them 20 wins in a row – 10 in the playoffs. Frickin unreal!

So what happened?

OKC broke the machine. All those pick and rolls was the spurs world. You take away the biggest piece and all the perfect mechanism falls. Not the first time for Pops system. Might be the last.
You can say – it depends on the players – if they are good there is no worry cause the system works and players feel good in their roles, you prevail.
And now if you spoil this machine it cannot recover.

wtf poland? Every team got a system! Can they recover and spurs not?

Easy, my explanation lies in Pops mind. Pop more then any other coach believes in system more then in his players. That’s why you need individuals that can be creative. Do something not ordinary. Cause havoc. Make a play. Give emotions. You only can wonder how much Ginoman was important for the spurs team. IMO very very much.

Now, wait the execution in how many hours? When it will start the whole machinery have 48 minutes to prove many humans wrong. I mean they are 48 minutes from collapsing totally. Totally!

What we do not have facing OKC killers in game six?
We lost Bonner /or he lost himself/ – big part behind 3 point line for the system. We lost beast Blair who was a fighter on the boards. Also to some degree Splitter does not function well and all that rust on his hands during painful free throws made him more tentative. Green tribe is more green then a rookie. And the hell! - the French part missed in action.
The system will not help when you are used to the same situations, being on the same spot every game and now when somebody takes that spots away players don't know where to find their new area on the floor. How can you even think about rhythm in all that? Now being lost? Not playing the game that was played all season? OKC took spurs out of their game and in playoffs it's death.

You summed up what is happening and why we are losing this series better than I did in my 1,000 attempts to do so.

The system and having players who understand and can execute their role in that system is what got us to where we are.

OKC broke the system.

The players are doing everything they can. Pop is doing all he can. They just have no answer in the context of the system.

The only way we win tonight is for guys to do the opposite of what they have been taught this season--stray away from their role. The only way we win is some great one-on-one play like we saw late in Game 5. Duncan? If there is still a trace of 2005 Tim Duncan in you, now is the time Kawhi? No more just being a three-point shooter on offense. Take it to the rack. Manu? We need vintage Manu two more times.

cheguevara
06-06-2012, 12:42 PM

we know what the lakers did.

but this thread is about the spurs

cantthinkofanything
06-06-2012, 12:45 PM

Leonard, Splitter, and Green.

GrandeDavid
06-06-2012, 12:45 PM
So are quitting as a fan or quitting participating in fan forums? You kind of lost me there. Speaking for myself. I'll be a fan and even buy a ticket or two when they inevitably stink for period and retool. But I don't think that'll happen as quickly as many think.

DeadlyDynasty
06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Leonard, Splitter, and Green.

Nobody cares about scrubs

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-06-2012, 01:00 PM
I started as a fan during the "dark ages" of the Alvin Robertson/Walter Berry/Forrest McKenzie/Ennis Whatley era.

I've seen the dark ages, then the Renassiance, and now the last lease on life.

It's all part of the process.

If the Spurs win tonight, then I'll celebrate them.

If the Spurs lose tonight, then I'll celebrate everything this dynasty has accomplished.

No quitting. No way.

polandprzem
06-06-2012, 01:41 PM
So are quitting as a fan or quitting participating in fan forums? You kind of lost me there. Speaking for myself. I'll be a fan and even buy a ticket or two when they inevitably stink for period and retool. But I don't think that'll happen as quickly as many think.

I have zero confidence that the spurs gonna advance to the Finals.
Tough as a fan deep somewhere inside there is a hope.

I quit as a non-believer but still thinks there might be a chance for a surprise gift :)

polandprzem
06-06-2012, 01:43 PM
You summed up what is happening and why we are losing this series better than I did in my 1,000 attempts to do so.

The system and having players who understand and can execute their role in that system is what got us to where we are.

OKC broke the system.

The players are doing everything they can. Pop is doing all he can. They just have no answer in the context of the system.

The only way we win tonight is for guys to do the opposite of what they have been taught this season--stray away from their role. The only way we win is some great one-on-one play like we saw late in Game 5. Duncan? If there is still a trace of 2005 Tim Duncan in you, now is the time Kawhi? No more just being a three-point shooter on offense. Take it to the rack. Manu? We need vintage Manu two more times.

That's why superstars are so important and that's why in todays NBA superstars means more then the game. It should not be that way but it is.

:flag:

polandprzem
06-08-2012, 07:50 AM
I feel like a Tim Duncan era was a bit wasted

And tbh I don't know what direction NBA will go to entertain fans.
If it's not about sport and it's more entertain. That's what I'm not interested at.

Ohh well, this spurs run was what I needed but now when it's ended my interest will drop.

:flag:

thispego
06-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Ref-aided

boutons_deux
06-08-2012, 08:23 AM
If it's not about sport and it's more entertain.

More specifically, NBA is a business run by the team billionaire owners and their stoolie Stern.

Direct results are

over-expansion to 30 teams and depletion of player/coach/mgmt talent

the direct dropoff of the quality of the game.

Likewise, the 82 game schedule with B2Bs is too many games, but games are the product sold to advertizers.

More games = more product = more revenue (and 2000 of 2500 games/season being really shitty basketball)

With depleted talent, injuries are way too important (eg, D. Rose/CHI) so that one injured player kills a team's prospects.

Jumi
06-08-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm suprised I just found this post. This is exactly what I was thinking without the melodrama. The system was broken apart and the some guys couldn't make plays without it. Its why guys like Neal get a pass from Pop sometimes when he jacks up a three early in the shot clock, misses badly, comes back down the court and hits the mofo! NO FEAR! It's why Ginobili goes helter skelter when the system breaks down and the results are either glorious or disaterous!

Splitter hasn't adjusted to the system. Blair only fit one season in the system. George Hill fit, but didn't have the green light to stray outside the box. Here in Indy he had a bit more freedom, so he could do what he thought was best when a play was needed. At times he looked totally different from the "Spur George Hill". The system works! We finally need someone who can say, "To hell with the system, I'm not losing today!"

Ginobili can't do it anymore. Parker probably will never have the courage to stray from it too much. He's a product of Pop. Some guys would rather go down with the system. We aint headed to the pasture just yet, we just need a master mechanic! A young crazy muthafucka that says, "Fuk yo system, clown!!!!"