PDA

View Full Version : Texas State Athletics receives $ 1.1 Mil Donation

BobcatSoldier
06-06-2012, 11:11 PM
http://www.txstatebobcats.com/news/2012/5/7/FB_0507125154.aspx

San Marcos, Texas – Longtime philanthropists Jerry D. and Linda Gregg Fields have committed $1.1 million to Texas State University's Athletics Department for the 2012-13 academic year Athletics Director Larry Teis announced today.

The gift will help cover entrance fees into the Sun Belt Conference and Western Athletic Conference as well as assist with the exit fee from the Southland Conference. A portion of the gift also will support the Bobcat Club's Annual Drive.

“Jerry and Linda have been with us through a lot of special times and they have assured me they will continue to support our FBS goals,” Teis said. “Not many universities can say they have a Jerry and Linda Fields.”

“Once again, Jerry and Linda Fields have shown their faith in Texas State Athletics and in the University as a whole in a very tangible way,” University President Denise Trauth said “They have helped pave the way for a new era in Bobcat Athletics.”

In all, the couple has given more than $11.7 million to the University to fund an array of activities, including scholarship funds, endowed chairs, athletics facilities and programs.

On May 2, University officials announced Texas State would join the Sun Belt Conference in 2013-14. The move will follow a year of competition in the Western Athletic Conference beginning next fall.

“We are ecstatic about the move to the Sun Belt Conference and I hope this recent gift helps to reinforce that emotion,” Jerry Fields said. “My wife and I have been with this process from the beginning, and we would gladly go through the progression again to see our Bobcats land in a league with a solid FBS foundation. We are very excited about watching our Bobcats compete and win championships at the FBS level.
The Fieldses designated $100,000 of their most recent gift to the Bobcat Club, which funds scholarships for student-athletes. The $100,000 gift is the largest single gift ever received during one year by the Bobcat Club, which is made up of Texas State alumni, fans, former student-athletes, and coaches.
“Linda and I feel that it is important to support the Bobcat Club and student-athlete scholarships as part of our move to the NCAA Division I FBS,” Fields said. “Supporting the Bobcat Club and purchasing season tickets are ways that every alumnus, fan and supporter can get behind this move and ensure Texas State's success at the next level. With our announcement that Texas State is joining the Sun Belt Conference, we believe that it is imperative that donations and ticket sales continue to increase to validate our success at the FBS level.”

In 2011-12, fundraising to the Bobcat Club rose 247 percent and the number of donors grew 186 percent. The organization's goal this year is to raise $1.2 million and increase its membership to 1,600.

“Our annual Bobcat Club Drive is off to a great start,” Assistant Athletic Director for Development Chris Park said. “Much has been accomplished in our first two-and-one-half months, but we have a long way to go in order to reach our goals. We need everyone's support in season ticket sales and donations to the Bobcat Club for the upcoming year.”

To join the Bobcat Club, call 512-245-2210 or go online to www.txstatebobcatclub.com. Those wishing to purchase season tickets may call 512-245-2272 or go online to www.txstatebobcats.com.

ChumpDumper
06-07-2012, 03:00 AM
Great news for you, but kind of lame just using that money to pay conference fees. They at least need to have concession stand named after them.

BobcatSoldier
06-07-2012, 02:00 PM
http://www.txstatebobcats.com/sports/2010/7/29/FB_0729105859.aspx?tab=fieldswestsidecomplex

They already have a couple of things named after them. As far as where the money goes that's the donors decision. I think this was a move to show alumni that the schools biggest donors supported the move to the Sunbelt Conference.

ChumpDumper
06-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Really though - ecstatic?

DMX7
06-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Maybe they're ecstatic to be leaving the Southland, but I don't think anyone was ecstatic at that press conference they had to announce the acceptance of the invitation to join the Sun Belt. Regardless, UTSA wishes it were getting half of the donations for sports that Texas State is getting, so good for them.

BobcatSoldier
06-07-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm content with the move. It's a great up and coming conference with a tight geographical footprint that happens to lie within the SEC recruiting footprint. As long as all the right pieces continue to move into the right direction TXST will be fine.