PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Game Plan

TD 21
06-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Yeah, it's a little early. No, I don't care.

1. Everyone but the big three and Leonard should be available. That doesn't mean blow it up; it means everyone else should be in play. Remember, no matter how bleak it looks, Pop has made it clear they'll continue to attempt to contend until Duncan retires. He also made it clear that if they didn't win tonight, they're not championship caliber. So with that in mind, I don't want to see Jackson traded, but he's got a big expiring contract and showed yet again, that he makes love to pressure (meaning, despite the headache he can be, I think they could find a taker). I don't want to see Neal traded, but he's a year away from a big payday and they could use a more natural backup at the point (plus if he's traded, Mills would be far more likely to opt in).

2. Re-sign Duncan, for whatever he wants, then re-sign Diaw and Green, at reasonable rates. Attempt to sign Lorbek, sign De Colo and let Anderson walk.

3. Trade Splitter. I like Splitter, so this is not an emotional overreaction to what just happened, it's the reality: He's 27, is a niche player (hat tip to timvp), is soft and doesn't really, truly care. But like Hill, when he was the 4th best player on the team, he's not a great fit with one of the big three and considering that member of the big three plans to play another year or two, does it make sense to commit to Splitter long term, considering the type of money he'll command? Will he even want to settle for being a roughly 20 mpg backup? Either way, he's a major trade piece and needs to be used to acquire a younger, more athletic four/five, in the mold of Ibaka.

It's admittedly a long shot and yes, he's not really Spurs material, but it's worth a shot all the same. Splitter, Jackson, Blair and a future 1st for Smith. He wants out, they need young, cheap depth and specifically they need a center, to move Horford back to his natural position, power forward.

If Jackson is traded, Green could become the backup small forward, Neal the backup shooting guard and Mills the primary backup point guard. It's small and relatively defensively deficient, but with a second shot blocker on the back line and with Leonard ready to average at least 30 mpg, it could work. Still, if Jackson is traded, they'll need someone who's at least capable of being a primary backup small forward and not just a depth one for emergency purposes. Basically, someone the caliber of Mills, only at small forward.

If that fails, then offer Spitter, Blair and Bonner for Udoh, the 12th pick and Brockman. The Bucks desperately need a starting center and could use a stretch four to replace Ilyasova. At 12, the Spurs could obviously use depth of size, particularly because Diaw re-signing probably means no Lorbek. Fortunately, between Zeller, either of the Jones', Moultrie and Leonard, they should have their choice of various bigs.

Basically, the end result is you're either getting a star caliber player, who's still young enough to be a long term building block or you're getting two lesser, albeit younger, relatively high upside bigs. Either way, the big rotation should fit better and be better set up long term. If they pulled off the former, then obviously they'd need a backup center. The market is slim, as always, in this area, but it wouldn't be quite as crucial as it's been in recent seasons, because Smith can log big minutes.

So that's my plan (as always, it's subject to change). What's yours?

100%duncan
06-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Replace all the gutless worms in the team.

KaiRMD1
06-07-2012, 12:04 AM
The off season plan is to work defense back into the system. This Phoenix suns BS was great for this year and last year but it ain't winning us jack. Defense needs to be brought back.

Jumi
06-07-2012, 12:04 AM
I'd like to see what Mills could do with a full season of work. He's young so I would take a chance on him. Resign Diaw. Keep Green and Neal. We've got to get either an athletic four or a stretch four who's dependable. I like the idea of trading for Josh Smith. That puts our present core and future roster stable. The rest of these soft guys gotta go.

angelbelow
06-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Tough one.. I was honestly trying to think about it for the past hour but the loss is still too fresh.

Initial reaction:

-Originally wanted Duncan to resign for whatever he wants. The loss has made me more objective in that we should at least broach the subject of taking a pay cut to him.

-Too many soft players... does bringing on Lorbek and De Colo change that? I'm not familiar with their style but we need more Stephen Jackson's and not Tiago Splitter's.

-Would like to re-sign Diaw.. ideally 3 yr 9 million but that might be too steep.

-Need some consistent play at the 2 position. Ginobili was too inconsistent in these playoffs and Green disappeared in the WCF. Does De Colo help here?

arial
06-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Fire the entire team instead of putting us through these amazing seasons just to choke again in the playoffs.

Just kidding too pissed to think about any of it right now.

Juggity
06-07-2012, 12:26 AM
we need more Stephen Jacksons and not Tiago Splitters.

You might be the only person in the world who's ever uttered that sentence

TD 21
06-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Tough one.. I was honestly trying to think about it for the past hour but the loss is still too fresh.

Initial reaction:

-Originally wanted Duncan to resign for whatever he wants. The loss has made me more objective in that we should at least broach the subject of taking a pay cut to him.

-Too many soft players... does bringing on Lorbek and De Colo change that? I'm not familiar with their style but we need more Stephen Jackson's and not Tiago Splitter's.

-Would like to re-sign Diaw.. ideally 3 yr 9 million but that might be too steep.

-Need some consistent play at the 2 position. Ginobili was too inconsistent in these playoffs and Green disappeared in the WCF. Does De Colo help here?

Well there's no question he'll be taking a sizable pay cut. I'd say the absolute max he'll get next season is $15 million. By whatever he wants, I mean within' reason. Obviously, he's not worth $20 million a season anymore, but I'm sure he knows that and he's about winning, so I have the utmost confidence that he'll be reasonable. If he wants $15 million though, even if it is a little high, I'd give it to him. I'd just explain what him taking that much would likely mean as far as upgrades though.

I agree that softness continues to be a major issue. De Colo is irrelevant in that sense, because he has virtually no chance of being in the rotation next season. Even Lorbek, he'd be hard pressed. I guess, if they pulled off the Smith trade, he could be the backup center. But like I and many others have said, if Diaw is re-signed, then Lorbek more than likely won't be signed.

DMC
06-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Do nothing different other than Bonner and Blair.

Mugen
06-07-2012, 12:33 AM

So Tiago has a subpar postseason and he gets the axe? While Matt Bonner has strung together a 4-peat of Biggest Playoff Choker Awards? :rolleyes

I'm not ready to give up on the best backup C in the league after one bad series where the entire bench not named Jack didn't show up. Especially with your Hall of Fame center getting older.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Bonner has to go. And we need toughness and athleticism in the frontcourt. Although he's a headcase, I'd love Josh Smith as a Spur - Pop and Tim might be able to mould that talent of his into something special. If we could nab him for a package involving Splitter, then I'd do it. Hate to see Jax go though - he's the only tough mofo on the team and thrives as a Spur.

Beyond that, my brain is too fried right now. Will think about this stuff in a month. :depressed

Buddy Holly
06-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Bring in Lorbek, De Colo and Richards.

Resign Jax, Diaw, Green and Mills.

Trade Bonner, Blair and maybe Splitter.

AFBlue
06-07-2012, 12:55 AM
I'm probably going to pick up a show or two, take a vacation to the beach, and probably go to a couple games of the other sports teams in this town.

SenorSpur
06-07-2012, 12:59 AM
Yeah, it's a little early. No, I don't care.

1. Everyone but the big three and Leonard should be available. That doesn't mean blow it up; it means everyone else should be in play. Remember, no matter how bleak it looks, Pop has made it clear they'll continue to attempt to contend until Duncan retires. He also made it clear that if they didn't win tonight, they're not championship caliber. So with that in mind, I don't want to see Jackson traded, but he's got a big expiring contract and showed yet again, that he makes love to pressure (meaning, despite the headache he can be, I think they could find a taker). I don't want to see Neal traded, but he's a year away from a big payday and they could use a more natural backup at the point (plus if he's traded, Mills would be far more likely to opt in).
No way I'm trading Jackson. This series versus the Thunder shows how effective and clutch he was and still is. The Spurs didn't go through all that trouble to reclaim him in a trade, just to give up on him again. There's no doubt he comes back.

I like Neal too, but not as a backup PG. This guy is a terrific shooter, who needs to focus on just that - shooting. That said, if a team wants him bad enough, they'll have to take Bonner's weak-minded ass as part of the package. If such a trade can be pulled off and should the Spurs secure a #1 pick, they can get a replacement big in the draft. More on that later.

2. Re-sign Duncan, for whatever he wants, then re-sign Diaw and Green, at reasonable rates. Attempt to sign Lorbek, sign De Colo and let Anderson walk.?
Agree here on Duncan. However, I do not cosign the idea of bringing in Erzam Lorbek right now. The last thing this team needs in another soft Euro. They need an ass-kicking, defensive-minded rookie PF/C-type out of college. Again, more on that later. I do believe they should do what's necessary to sign De Colo, as a backup PG. His arrival would offset the potential loss of Neal as a backup PG. I'd also be ok with Mills as the primary backup PG.

3. Trade Splitter. I like Splitter, so this is not an emotional overreaction to what just happened, it's the reality: He's 27, is a niche player (hat tip to timvp), is soft and doesn't really, truly care. But like Hill, when he was the 4th best player on the team, he's not a great fit with one of the big three and considering that member of the big three plans to play another year or two, does it make sense to commit to Splitter long term, considering the type of money he'll command? Will he even want to settle for being a roughly 20 mpg backup? Either way, he's a major trade piece and needs to be used to acquire a younger, more athletic four/five, in the mold of Ibaka.
?
I don't like the idea of giving up on this early on Splitter. He's only completed his second year. If you're not keeping either Bonner or Blair - and there's no reason in the world they should, then Splitter should be retained. However, if Splitter could bring the Spurs a #1 pick, I would consider it. In the meantime, Splitter needs to continue getting tougher and more consistent. However, it's not the time to kick him to the curb - yet.

If Jackson is traded, Green could become the backup small forward, Neal the backup shooting guard and Mills the primary backup point guard. It's small and relatively defensively deficient, but with a second shot blocker on the back line and with Leonard ready to average at least 30 mpg, it could work. Still, if Jackson is traded, they'll need someone who's at least capable of being a primary backup small forward and not just a depth one for emergency purposes. Basically, someone the caliber of Mills, only at small forward.?
Green as a backup SF is a terrible idea. He's not big enough or strong enough. Besides, why create another hole at a position of current strength? As long as Jackson is retained, I believe he will and should, Green returns as the starter at the 2 spot. Jackson and Leonard can and should continue to fill the SF role very nicely.

If that fails, then offer Spitter, Blair and Bonner for Udoh, the 12th pick and Brockman. The Bucks desperately need a starting center and could use a stretch four to replace Ilyasova. At 12, the Spurs could obviously use depth of size, particularly because Diaw re-signing probably means no Lorbek. Fortunately, between Zeller, either of the Jones', Moultrie and Leonard, they should have their choice of various bigs.
So that's my plan (as always, it's subject to change). What's yours?

If the Spurs can offer up any acceptable package that includes either Blair, Bonner or Neal or a combination of all, in order to get a first-round pick, I'm in. I cannot see Bonner bringing back much of anything of value by himself.

If a 1st round pick can be obtained via trade, I'm with you on the possible selection of Arnett Moultrie. He has excellent size, length and explosive athleticism. I liked what I've been reading about his draft profile. He can play a combo forward (back to the basket or face up) role and has a relentless motor. If not Moutrie, then Henry Sims should be the next draft target. Besides, the Spurs have already worked him out and he just seems like the perfect talent and personality fit for the Spurs program.

As for a potential free agent big, my primary target is Javelle McGee. Don't laugh. This is a talented young kid, who was languishing on a bad team (Wizards). We saw what he did in a half-season in Denver. He was much improved and more committed. He just needed some structure and coaching. He'll get plenty of that in San Antonio. Of course, Pop would have to tame his wild side and exhibit some patience with him, but the kid has a high motor, great athleticism and accepts coaching. He's a player who definitely wants to get better and would be an instant game-changer for the Spurs on their backline.

Between the possible free-agent addition of McGee and the drafting of a player like either Moultrie or Sims, the Spurs would be adequately equipped to improve their rebounding, defense, and will then be able to match the frontline athleticism of a team like OKC in the coming years.

TD 21
06-07-2012, 01:27 AM
No way I'm trading Jackson. This series versus the Thunder shows how effective and clutch he was and still is. The Spurs didn't go through all that trouble to reclaim him in a trade, just to give up on him again. There's no doubt he comes back.

I like Neal too, but not as a backup PG. This guy is a terrific shooter, who needs to focus on just that - shooting. That said, if a team wants him bad enough, they'll have to take Bonner's weak-minded ass as part of the package. If such a trade can be pulled off and should the Spurs secure a #1 pick, they can get a replacement big in the draft. More on that later.

As I alluded to, I wouldn't be looking to trade him. But there's no denying that his big expiring contract is one of their main trade chips and if it contributes to netting them a guy like Smith, then it's a no brainer.

Going a full season with Neal in that role would be tough. It's not conducive to keep Ginobili's minutes down or expanding his minutes with Duncan and Parker, either. This is also why moving someone in the perimeter rotation wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Maybe Neal is ultimately the guy who goes though. Like I said, he is due a big raise a year from now and between Mills and De Colo, they may figure they've got backup point covered. Or maybe Green get's overpaid in free agency and he's the guy, who knows.

Agree here on Duncan. However, I do not cosign the idea of bringing in Erzam Lorbek right now. The last thing this team needs in another soft Euro. They need an ass-kicking, defensive-minded rookie PF/C-type out of college. Again, more on that later. I do believe they should do what's necessary to sign De Colo, as a backup PG. His arrival would offset the potential loss of Neal as a backup PG. I'd also be ok with Mills as the primary backup PG.If they can sign him, they should. He's 6-10 or 11, experienced, skilled and can score inside and out. As far as having him in the rotation, as I said, that would depend on what else they do with the big rotation. But if he were in it, it would be (in my scenario, at least) because Splitter and Bonner are gone, so it wouldn't really be bringing in more of the same; it would be replacing some of the same.

I don't like the idea of giving up on this early on Splitter. He's only completed his second year. If you're not keeping either Bonner or Blair - and there's no reason in the world they should, then Splitter should be retained. However, if Splitter could bring the Spurs a #1 pick, I would consider it. In the meantime, Splitter needs to continue getting tougher and more consistent. However, it's not the time to kick him to the curb - yet.It's not really giving up on him. As I alluded to, it's the Hill scenario all over again, only this time it's with a center, as opposed to a combo guard. He could easily bring the Spurs a #1 pick. In fact, he could bring them a lottery pick. Think about it, if Hill is worth the 15th pick and a solid prospect, then what's an in his prime, inexpensive (for another season) center worth? How many players "get tougher"? It's one of those things, you either have it or you don't. You either care to the extent the big three and Jackson do, or you don't.

Green as a backup SF is a terrible idea. He's not big enough or strong enough. Besides, why create another hole at a position of current strength? As long as Jackson is retained, I believe he will and should, Green returns as the starter at the 2 spot. Jackson and Leonard can and should continue to fill the SF role very nicely.I don't like it either. They've worked hard to get younger, bigger and more athletic on the wings. I don't see them going this route. Even if they moved Jackson in a Smith trade, they'd probably trade Neal anyway. Who knows, maybe he'd be the other piece and not the future 1st.

If the Spurs can offer up any acceptable package that includes either Blair, Bonner or Neal or a combination of all, in order to get a first-round pick, I'm in. I cannot see Bonner bringing back much of anything of value by himself.

If a 1st round pick can be obtained via trade, I'm with you on the possible selection of Arnett Moultrie. He has excellent size, length and explosive athleticism. I liked what I've been reading about his draft profile. He can play a combo forward (back to the basket or face up) role and has a relentless motor. If not Moutrie, then Henry Sims should be the next draft target. Besides, the Spurs have already worked him out and he just seems like the perfect talent and personality fit for the Spurs program.

As for a potential free agent big, my primary target is Javelle McGee. Don't laugh. This is a talented young kid, who was languishing on a bad team (Wizards). We saw what he did in a half-season in Denver. He was much improved and more committed. He just needed some structure and coaching. He'll get plenty of that in San Antonio. Of course, Pop would have to tame his wild side and exhibit some patience with him, but the kid has a high motor, great athleticism and accepts coaching. He's a player who definitely wants to get better and would be an instant game-changer for the Spurs on their backline.

Between the possible free-agent addition of McGee and the drafting of a player like either Moultrie or Sims, the Spurs would be adequately equipped to improve their rebounding, defense, and will then be able to match the frontline athleticism of a team like OKC in the coming years.Blair and maybe Neal, could get them late 1st round picks. Bonner wouldn't bring back value by himself, but he's definitely movable. Stretch four's are all the rage and for a lot of teams that aren't in a position to contend, him not being able to perform under pressure wouldn't be a big deal.

Yeah, Moultrie sounds intriguing. Sims is not projected to go anywhere near that range, so that would be a waste. Perry Jones has the highest upside of the bunch, but Zeller would be the best immediate fit.

McGee is restricted and unless someone offers him an insane amount (as in, the max or close to it), you can bet the Nuggets will match. They didn't trade Nene to lose McGee a few months later. If they doled out a big contract to a player (Chandler) at a position they've already got covered, you can bet they're willing to for a young, freakishly athletic center.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Hard to say what Jax market value is, but I would hate to see him go. I'll admit I'm a fan so there's nothing objective about it. But considering how huge he stepped up, I just don't want to see him go. To me he should have always been a Spur and now that we've got him back I think it would be horrible to get rid of him again so soon.

I think his attitude is very much needed in that locker room. Pop and RC like to acquire nice (read: soft) players, but when the chips are down Pop has no patience for soft players. Jackson if anything could help mentor younger players. Yes, I'm actually serious.

SenorSpur
06-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Yeah, Moultrie sounds intriguing. Sims is not projected to go anywhere near that range, so that would be a waste. Perry Jones has the highest upside of the bunch, but Zeller would be the best immediate fit.

McGee is restricted and unless someone offers him an insane amount (as in, the max or close to it), you can bet the Nuggets will match. They didn't trade Nene to lose McGee a few months later. If they doled out a big contract to a player (Chandler) at a position they've already got covered, you can bet they're willing to for a young, freakishly athletic center.

I guess I should've clarified my position on Sims. I know he's projected as a possible late 2nd round pick. I meant that he would make sense if the Spurs couldn't make a trade to get up into the first round of the draft. Outside Moultrie and possibly Meyers Leonard (whom I'm not real crazy about), I don't see another potential target that is worth moving up for. As for Zeller, he's got the size, but the book on him is he's "not the toughest guy down low, and struggles with defensive rebounding and physical play inside on both ends he gets pushed around too much." I'd worry about him at the next level. Frankly the Spurs have enough soft-shell reserve bigs, who lack physicality. I'm afraid this guy would be a step back.

McGee was a long shot dream at best.

As for Josh Smith signing, he's too expensive, shoots too many 3's and isn't as good enough of an on-the-ball defender for his freakishly athletic skill. Of course, he's been playing for that Atlanta outfit all of his career. That alone would explain the holes in his game.

etbluffer
06-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Spurs don't need a major overhaul- get better on D and hope your young guns got some valuable experience... One target- Chris Kaman- and talk Timmy into a major pay cut!

Duncan2177
06-07-2012, 02:03 AM
The spurs should go after Anderson Varejao this offseason.

T Park
06-07-2012, 03:37 AM
If I'm RC, I'm pacing by the phone waiting for the Cleveland offices to open up to trade for Varejao.

This team is 3 good defensive players from hoisting the trophy in 2013. Maybe two.

They need Leonard to improve his offensive game to the point where plays can be run for him.

They need a backup point guard. De Colo? Maybe. TJ Ford's absence ended up being gigantic.

tesseractive
06-07-2012, 03:39 AM
What would the asking price for Varejao be? And why does Cleveland want to trade him?

T Park
06-07-2012, 03:48 AM
What would the asking price for Varejao be? And why does Cleveland want to trade him?

No idea and he's a veteran stud on a bad lottery team taking minutes of future developing players.

Trainwreck2100
06-07-2012, 03:50 AM
can't plan for shit till the olympics are over

jiggy_55
06-07-2012, 03:58 AM
Josh Smith is a damn perfect fit and that would make this team completely unstoppable, even with all the Thunder growth expected etc.. But trading for him is also impossible with such a deal, I can't see Atlanta making such a deal because they can simply get much more..

jiggy_55
06-07-2012, 04:03 AM
If I'm RC, I'm pacing by the phone waiting for the Cleveland offices to open up to trade for Varejao.

This team is 3 good defensive players from hoisting the trophy in 2013. Maybe two.

They need Leonard to improve his offensive game to the point where plays can be run for him.

They need a backup point guard. De Colo? Maybe. TJ Ford's absence ended up being gigantic.

Varejao too would be awesome honestly. Great fit, tough, and a high energy player.

angelbelow
06-07-2012, 04:07 AM
I agree that softness continues to be a major issue. De Colo is irrelevant in that sense, because he has virtually no chance of being in the rotation next season. Even Lorbek, he'd be hard pressed. I guess, if they pulled off the Smith trade, he could be the backup center. But like I and many others have said, if Diaw is re-signed, then Lorbek more than likely won't be signed.

Yeah.. I've ran the numbers a few times and it does seem unrealistic.

So Tiago has a subpar postseason and he gets the axe? While Matt Bonner has strung together a 4-peat of Biggest Playoff Choker Awards? :rolleyes

I'm not ready to give up on the best backup C in the league after one bad series where the entire bench not named Jack didn't show up. Especially with your Hall of Fame center getting older.

Didn't mean to imply that I'm giving up on him. However, personality wise, I would rather add more Jackson's than Splitter's.

Basically, we need toughness and attitude on this team. Its too obvious that were soft. I don't think we need to discuss Bonner at all - he should be on the way out.

That said, I would prefer to keep Splitter. When things settle down a bit, him and Leonard are two guys I'd expect to make improvements for next season.

T Park
06-07-2012, 04:11 AM
They need at least one good defensive big man so Duncan can rest in the season and the defense doesn't get worse than it already is..

Shit, if need be, copy and duplicate what Boston does...

Richie
06-07-2012, 04:21 AM
A lot of you guys are trying to turn shit in to gold. Thinking any of our role players net a late-lotto/mid first pick by themselves is ridiculous.

Meyers Leonard is a perfect fit for us, but likely goes in the 10-12 range and we have no chance of trading up that high. Blocks shots, rebounds, has a mid range jumper and is a legit 7'. Again, no chance we trade up for him unless he somehow falls to the 16-18 range, and even that is probably a reach.

As for trading up in the draft, I think our best shot is going for Kyle O'Quinn (who the Spurs are working out according to Bruno). Won MVP at Portsmouth, has a big 7'5" wingspan and is a good shot blocker looking at the stats. Projected mid-second on draft express, if you want a shot blocker he's probably as good as we can get.

I also love the idea of Bernard James if we can get him with our 2nd rounded, probably goes before that though. He seems like a great fit for the Spurs.

Where we really need to improve is a better backup point guard and putting someone next to Duncan. I look at the free agent list and two names pop up, Andre Miller and Marcus Camby, 36 and 38 respectively. I have no idea how much they will command or if they might retire, but I think we should take a serious look to see if we could afford them.

I imagine Diaw will take the full MLE at 5m so after we resign he, Duncan, match Greens qualifying offer and exercise options on Blair, Neal and (hopefully) Mills, we pretty much only have the Bi Annual exception left which I believe is 1.9m. If thats enough for Miller we should give it to him and trade any combination of Neal/Blair/Splitter for a big in the draft if we see anyone we like. 1.9m likely won't be enough for Miller, so we'll probably have to give backup minutes to Mills and see what he can do or look for next years TJ Ford.

We should also amnesty Bonner if Duncan plans on playing past 12-13. The ability to give Duncan $3m more next year and thus pay him $3m less the following year could be vital to us securing a decent free agent in 2013.

Edit: Just to say I still love Neal, but we we have 3 quality 2 guards and he is worse defensively than Green, not to mention 3 years older. He also probably has the highest value so if we trade someone, it has to be him.

elemento
06-07-2012, 04:22 AM
I don't agree about trading Splitter, especially for a guy like Smith.

Smith is an expiring. It means that if we take him and after 1 year he doesn't get the contract he thinks he deserves (and look, he will probably get a huge new contract), he walks. I don't want to be like the Nets seriously. Be in some player's hands begging them to re-sign.

Honestly, we missed a backup PG badly in this series. Once Green started to struggle and Manu had to start, our 2nd unit became pathetic.
Other than re-sign TD and Diaw, our main priority should be signing a good a reliable backup PG.

mingus
06-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Bring back the Big 3 + Jackson, Leonard, Diaw, and Mills. I'm hesitant to let go of Green. I think with the added experience, summer, and training camp, he'll come back better next year. Not a must-keep player, but I wouldn't complain if he returned.

IMO, Neal has got to go. If we want to compete again with the Thunder next year, we're going to need someone multi-faceted, someone who can knock down threes but also make opposing players have to work on offense. Ideally, Green would fit that mold next year.

Spurs need to add a physical big, preferably one that can hit the 15-footer, someone like Brandon Bass.

Kuestmaster
06-07-2012, 04:47 AM
Re-sign Timmy for whatever he wants. I'm hoping he'll take a pay cut. But if he doesn't I'm fine with it

Re-sign Diaw. He was good to amazing sometimes. He did not have a good series against the Thunder but he fits with the system. 3 years 10 milions seems right to me. Don't know if he'd want more though.

Re-sign Green. I don't know what he'll want. But I hope he remember spurs saved his career and don't get cocky. If he asks for a lot do a sign-and-trade for a 1st rounder.

Trade Blair if there's a good oportunity. I wouldn't mind having Blair coming off the bench next season. Definitely not as a starter. If there's a team that wants him and is willing to give a 1st rounder, do it.

Neal. I'm not sure what to do with him. If Green stays for a reasonable amount of money I'd trade Neal paired with Blair for a good back-up point guard, a big or a 1st-rounder. If Green decides to walk, then keep him. But my priority would be Green over Neal.

Amnesty, Trade or throw of a cliff Bonner. I don't want to see that chucker in a spurs uniform ever again.

I'm not giving up on Splitter for just a bad series against the Thunder. He needs to be less soft and vaginal, but I'd not trade him. Only if a top-10 draft pick is in range.

Let Anderson walk

A team core of Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Leonard, Jackson, Diaw, Splitter, Green, Neal is all I want next year.

kobyz
06-07-2012, 05:36 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7hwzd8f

sanman53
06-07-2012, 06:40 AM
I'm not sure what to think about Manu. He is injured every season and inconsistent. I know he had a few good games in the past (2005) and is a fan favorite, but really? Getting paid 13 million to score 10 points? The way Jax played this series is the way I wanted everyone to play.

Russo21
06-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Time to blow it up. We've been saying for years, lets just make one last run. How many one last runs can a team have? Do not care who is around next year. I like Duncan, Diaw, Leonard, Jackson, that's about it.

Manu is always injured, tony choked two years in a row in the playoffs, splitter is total garbage, bonner is awful, neal stunk it up this year, green choked when it mattered, blair is to small. Get rid of all of them.

Oh yeah and get rid of the coach to. It just really is time to start fresh.

mountainballer
06-07-2012, 06:58 AM
we can tinker the roster as much as we want, IMO there is only one key question: a quality big man, who is the obvious #2 big alongside Duncan, or even better, he is the new #1 big with Duncan our #2. Diaw was a great acquisition and he should absolutely be re signed, but IMO he would be the perfect #3 in a big rotation, where he still gets 25MPG.
I have no realistic idea how to get this player, but we can assume it would only work via trade.

questions about back up PG or the starting 2 are secondary compared to the big man issue.

Russo21
06-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Funny how we've been waiting 10 years to sign this mythical big man to play alongside tim :(

Capt Bringdown
06-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Trade Jackson? I think not. We need to build on his toughness, not trade it away. Although I'd like to see Jackson on a contender.
Splitter's not going to get a fair shake under Pop. Might as well trade him.

cd98
06-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Spurs are a money ball team built on aging stars. They will again win 50+ games and maybe win some in the playoffs, but our best players have regressed to the point that they can't impose their will on the best teams for four out of seven.

Money ball teams will only ensure that we remain a good but not great team. To get the players we need, we need to be in the lottery, but we won't be there for a while with this team.

cd98
06-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Solution: one more year and then we must tank for Jabari Parker, the next available rookie superstar.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabari_Parker#section_3

jag
06-07-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm not sure what to think about Manu. He is injured every season and inconsistent. I know he had a few good games in the past (2005) and is a fan favorite, but really? Getting paid 13 million to score 10 points? The way Jax played this series is the way I wanted everyone to play.

You're not allowed to say things like that around here.

SenorSpur
06-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Pop needs to rethink his current philosophy. The ability to score and play faster is one thing. Obviously, the game is built upon the ability to put the ball in the basket. However, at some point, you have to be able to get stops.

OKC, while considerably younger, has proven that you can do both.

Pop needs to return to his defensive priniciples by investing in a couple of young players who can help the Spurs recapture their defensive intensity. Leonard and Green are good additions to the perimeter. The backline support around Duncan is truly a problem area.

weebo
06-07-2012, 09:38 AM
I don't care what they do. Just get rid of Bonner.

tesseractive
06-07-2012, 09:58 AM
A lot of you guys are trying to turn shit in to gold. Thinking any of our role players net a late-lotto/mid first pick by themselves is ridiculous.

Splitter might get us there. I'd be willing to bet there's some GM that looks at him and sees a starting center that isn't a project.

If we could get a guy with a higher ceiling in return, it might be worth a shot.

SnakeBoy
06-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Bonner is the only one that HAS to go because he's a proven playoff choker.

Green choked in this series but I wouldn't give up on him yet. A full season playing with Jax and he'll toughen up.

The best option for a quality big next year is to send Splitter to the weight room starting now. If Splitter and Diaw got serious about getting in shape this off season we have another shot.

I'm on the fence about Neal. He can be clutch but his defense is and always will be awful.

SenorSpur
06-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Bonner is the only one that HAS to go because he's a proven playoff choker.

Green choked in this series but I wouldn't give up on him yet. A full season playing with Jax and he'll toughen up.

The best option for a quality big next year is to send Splitter to the weight room starting now. If Splitter and Diaw got serious about getting in shape this off season we have another shot.

I'm on the fence about Neal. He can be clutch but his defense is and always will be awful.

Whenever 37 year-old Derek Fisher takes you off the dribble, you know you're a bad defensive player.

coco1983
06-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the absolute minimum Duncan could sign for per year?

Richie
06-07-2012, 12:23 PM

The vet minimum is like $1m or something, but that doesn't help us. Even if he took that, we wouldn't have any cap space to sign anyone so it really makes no difference.

Hopefully we can pay him $13m+ next year and have him take something like $7m the year after when we will have a lot of cap space, averaging out at $20m/2years for his final 2.

TXstbobcat
06-07-2012, 12:26 PM

The veteran minimum for 2011 for a 10+ year vet was $1,352,181.

TXstbobcat
06-07-2012, 12:27 PM
I think Tim will get the $20 Million over 2 years for his final contract with the spurs.

coco1983
06-07-2012, 12:34 PM
The vet minimum is like $1m or something, but that doesn't help us. Even if he took that, we wouldn't have any cap space to sign anyone so it really makes no difference.

Hopefully we can pay him $13m+ next year and have him take something like $7m the year after when we will have a lot of cap space, averaging out at $20m/2years for his final 2.

Thanks!

pad300
06-07-2012, 02:01 PM
A lot of people here apparently think that Diaw is going to a MLE level offer somewhere, if the Spurs don't give it to him. I don't see it myself. He spent up until his buyout pouting on Charlotte, and then spent the last series showcasing his flaws.
He only played 20-25 mpg for us, which doesn't show him as a starter level player and didn't put up overwhelming stats (PER 12.1 during the season, 14.7 during the playoffs). Last time he got a long term contract, he promptly started sucking wind... Which team is going to pay Diaw more than the LLE?

objective
06-07-2012, 02:31 PM
I think the time has come to trade Splitter.

And I say that as a Splitter fan who has been frustrated these past two years over how Pop has used him.

It doesn't matter what Splitter does or how well he ever will play (though he did not play well in the WCF), Pop doesn't respect his game. He's just another 'blue collar lunch pail' Oberto type in Pop's eyes and will never get the chance to be anything more than that.

A team being smart will see the good things he can do, just like how a team being smart saw with Scola. The Spurs couldn't see how on earth a talent upgrade like Scola could help them for a 3/10 deal, but they sure as hell could give a 3/9 deal at the same time to Matt Choking Bonner.

Splitter either alone or combined with guys like Blair, Neal, and Bonner could get someone that Pop will find a use for.

Jumi
06-07-2012, 02:34 PM
I think the time has come to trade Splitter.

And I say that as a Splitter fan who has been frustrated these past two years over how Pop has used him.

It doesn't matter what Splitter does or how well he ever will play (though he did not play well in the WCF), Pop doesn't respect his game. He's just another 'blue collar lunch pail' Oberto type in Pop's eyes and will never get the chance to be anything more than that.

A team being smart will see the good things he can do, just like how a team being smart saw with Scola. The Spurs couldn't see how on earth a talent upgrade like Scola could help them for a 3/10 deal, but they sure as hell could give a 3/9 deal at the same time to Matt Choking Bonner.

Splitter either alone or combined with guys like Blair, Neal, and Bonner could get someone that Pop will find a use for.
My thoughts exactly! The guy was given a fair shake from the start.

TD 21
06-07-2012, 05:08 PM
As for Josh Smith signing, he's too expensive, shoots too many 3's and isn't as good enough of an on-the-ball defender for his freakishly athletic skill. Of course, he's been playing for that Atlanta outfit all of his career. That alone would explain the holes in his game.

He's signed through next season. With Duncan and Ginobili possibly retiring by then, they could easily afford to re-sign him, because even if they come back for another season, it'll be at reduced rates (unless Duncan signs for two years this off season). The only big contract on the books will be Parker and the only relatively big one somewhat on the horizon will be Leonard.

I'd really, really hate to trade Jackson. Plus, he'd be the ideal type to mentor Smith. So to revise that trade, I'd offer Splitter, Blair, Neal and Bonner, instead. That would give the Hawks plenty of depth, most of which is of the young variety, which they desperately need and keep them competitive (which I'm fairly certain is their goal; not to re-build). Plus, they would take on less money and for a notoriously cheap organization, with a bloated payroll, that has to be especially appealing.

Here's the problem: there's about a $5.2 million gap in salaries. Presuming they intend to re-sign Duncan, Green and Diaw (or sign Lorbek) and sign De Colo, there's no way they'll have the cap space to absorb that. But maybe they can talk Duncan into taking, say $12 instead of $15, to facilitate this. They can also throw Joseph in. It's difficult to calculate everything at this juncture, but the point is, financially if they want to make this work, they probably can. They'd need a backup center and a depth combo forward to fill out the roster, but they find those at the minimum.

Richie
06-07-2012, 08:29 PM
I thik the 18th pick is a strong possibility of trading up to. Minnesota are in dire need of a 2 guard and Neal could be thier man. If the front office identifies a player we can get there that will help up front, I like a trade of Neal, Blair and maybe next years 1st (likely 25-30) for 18.

Maybe nobody good enough falls that low, but maybe a deal with Minni could be on the cards

tesseractive
06-07-2012, 09:13 PM
I thik the 18th pick is a strong possibility of trading up to. Minnesota are in dire need of a 2 guard and Neal could be thier man. If the front office identifies a player we can get there that will help up front, I like a trade of Neal, Blair and maybe next years 1st (likely 25-30) for 18.

Maybe nobody good enough falls that low, but maybe a deal with Minni could be on the cards
Seriously? Minnesota has the #18 pick in the draft and they need a shooting guard and the best they can get in return is Gary Neal?

(BTW, that's not meant in a sarcastic tone. You may well be right -- but I will find it quite surprising if that's really the case. I would think there would be better guys available from somewhere)

iManu
06-07-2012, 09:22 PM
We need a shot-blocking defensive big who can go 12 for 12.

Richie
06-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Seriously? Minnesota has the #18 pick in the draft and they need a shooting guard and the best they can get in return is Gary Neal?

(BTW, that's not meant in a sarcastic tone. You may well be right -- but I will find it quite surprising if that's really the case. I would think there would be better guys available from somewhere)

Well they don't have much cap space to work with, so they've got the MLE to sign a 2-guard or trade. I'm not sure if there is a better 2-guard than Neal who they can draft at 18, so maybe they try to trade up in the draft to get someone like Rivers. They have young pieces like Wes Johnson and Derrick Williams to throw in to a trade with the 18 for a higher pick if thats what they choose, or use those same pieces in a trade with names like Ariza and Afflalo being floated around.

If they need someone who can play D then obviously Neal isn't thier man, but offensively he is superior to pretty much anyone else they can get. The guy is a flat out scorer and despite a bad series against OKC, has come up clutch consistently throughout his time with the Spurs. Maybe throw in a servicable big like Blair and a future first, then who knows. Maybe a long shot but Neal is very cheap for the quality of player you get, so who knows

Richie
06-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Another shout might be Philly at 15. Aldridge says they need power forward and outside shooting, and theres nothing the Spurs have more of than great outside shooting.

Neal, Blair and Bonner (just to get him out of SA) for #15

ViceCity86
06-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Sign Duncan for 1 year only and let him and Manu go off to the sunset after 2013.Look to trade Parker soon after for some young pieces and picks and start the rebuilding process.I say 2013 will be end of Duncan,Manu,Parker and Pop.

Andthentherewas21
06-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Really depends on what the Spurs want to achieve next season. If its doing great in the regular season and just seeing how far they can get in the playoffs, just re-up everyone on the team and your going to get a similar result. Blair and Bonner can eat up regular season minutes and help keep down Duncan's minutes. Same with Green and Manu's minutes. Then you develop Mills or hope Joseph looks more capable than he has as the backup pg.

If they want to vie for the championship, they need a wholesale change. That means giving up some depth for star power. Probably the most realistic option floated would be Josh Smith, with the hope they could curtail his poor decision making.

The Thunder series exposed the greatest strength, and most fatal flaw of the Spurs, they are first and foremost a team. That means when Green can't hit a shot, Bonner disappears, Splitter struggles, ect there is no longer a Superstar Tim Duncan to rattle off 10 in a row and 3 stops on the other end. If one part of the team fails, the whole team does.

The Thunder are young enough to overcome some of that stuff due to their youth and energy. The main guys for the Spurs can't anymore. So while that great depth helps you win regular season games, you have to rely on those same role-players to bring it every night in the playoffs.

Salty
06-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Agree with Timvp, Spurs should give Timmy a blank contract and ask him to fill it out. I'm absolutely confident in his desire to win another title and I'm sure he'll take a smaller contract if it helps him win another ring. Expecting something like a $10m/year deal, whether it's for 1 year or multiple years.

Not an expert on salary cap, nor have I done all my research, but the Spurs will have a $47m-$49m payroll (depending on Blair's and Mills' options) to work with (also doesn't include them amnestying Bonner). With Duncan's new contract, expect the Spurs to have a $59m payroll. Keep in mind, if the Spurs wanna keep their roster intact they still have to find a way to resign:

Danny Green
Boris Diaw
Gary Neal

Not sure they'll fit all three of them in the MLE.

First and foremost, the Spurs NEED to amnesty Bonner, not just because he has a vagina but because the Spurs need that extra $ for someone else.

Secondly, the Spurs should be concerned with making a move on draft night that will:
A) free up a little cap space
B) get quality young talent

Richie
06-08-2012, 12:56 AM
Keep in mind, if the Spurs wanna keep their roster intact they still have to find a way to resign:

Danny Green
Boris Diaw
Gary Neal

Not sure they'll fit all three of them in the MLE

No need. We'll tender a qualifying offer to Green and assuming nobody offers him MLE type money in restricted free agency he will come back. If we want to match any offer, we have his bird rights so no need to use our MLE on him.

Neal is still under contract. Resigning him is simply picking up his unguaranteed salary for another year. This will 100% happen.

The MLE will be used on Diaw, Lorbek or possibly both if we can afford it. Doubt either would be happy with only half the MLE though

texbumTHElife
06-08-2012, 02:08 AM
Is there any possible conceivable way we could pull a trade for David Lee? I still think he would be a perfect fit on the front line with Duncan. He is a proven rebounder and defender and is fearless.

Plumblbw
06-08-2012, 04:35 AM
RE: Trading Splitter:

I like some of what Splitter does, i.e. good at setting screens and rolling to the basket, plays good defence at times etc. My problem with him is he can't shoot, isn't a consistent post threat, can't take advantage of mismatches and generally looks clumsy at times.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see him go, but are we likely to get anything better in the front court without giving up other significant pieces?

In other news, I know R.C. can be on fire at times, but how does he convince someone to trade for a ginger stretch 4 with guaranteed playoff chokeability?

BillMc
06-08-2012, 05:16 AM
We should more or less keep the team intact as is. We were probably (in the end) the second best team in the league, and no worse than 4th. We need to keep going forward, but keep perspective. This is still a very good team.

mudyez
06-08-2012, 05:43 AM
Still would love to see Batum in a spurs jersey at some point in his carreer (I know its unrealistic at least this off season).

A lineup with Leonard/Jackson/Batum would give us the needed athletism and I like the idea of playing them all at the same time.

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2012, 06:42 AM

18 + randolf