PDA

View Full Version : My opinion of today...

Opinionater
09-11-2004, 10:20 PM
IMHO, on the anniversary of the 9-11 tragedy, I have heard many emotional stories from individuals who put their lives on the line to save their brothers from the remnants of the World Trade Center.
On the anniversary of this solemn day, it is with reprehension and disgust that I also see news of the war in Iraq; a failing war that has taken over one thousand of our best Americans while incurring countless costs at home.
It is obscene that our President uses 9-11 as the fire to stoke the engine of his ill-conceived war. :cuss

Follow my thinking for one moment. Since we have spent billions of dollars on technologies, armaments and intelligence gathering; why is it so difficult for us to find a frail Saudi man who is dependent on kidney dialysis in a third world environment?
We have not captured him because we are not seeking to do so. Bin Laden is Bush’s excuse for adventurism and profiteering abroad. As long as Osama remains at large, his fate uncertain, he will always be a convenient scapegoat and excuse for further incursions.
The fevered pitch of fear will continue to render the masses pliable. Once a nation runs drunk on fear, threats are embraced by political engineers as opportunities to influence their subjects into courses of action that would never be agreed upon otherwise. As such, these threats are contained but kept alive. I believe we are living under this unspoken contract.

I supported the action in Afghanistan and bringing Bin Laden to justice, but this just effort remains incomplete. Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11, had nothing to do with terrorism against the United States, and serves as an example of the immoral manipulation of our nation. This is not democracy in action, it is the tantrum of empire.

If we want to reclaim our once respected position and rejoin the civilized world, we need to bring Osama Bin Laden to justice. Most of all, we need to hold all would-be patriots accountable for their manipulation of the memories of those who died on 9-11.

Nbadan
09-12-2004, 06:37 AM
I supported the action in Afghanistan and bringing Bin Laden to justice, but this just effort remains incomplete. Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11, had nothing to do with terrorism against the United States, and serves as an example of the immoral manipulation of our nation. This is not democracy in action, it is the tantrum of empire

How profound. Of course, your only preaching to the choir as long as Fox News continues to insist that Iraq under Hussein sponsored world-wide terrorism because he threw a few bucks at a few Palestinians. Never mind that families homes were illegally targeted and demolished (a practice the U.S. has adapted from Israeli counter-insurgency "trainers") by Israel.

I'm not anti-Israel either. I think they have every right to defend their citizens from senseless attacks, but constantly pissing off a inter-twined neighbor than outnumbers you almost 10-1 doesn't seem to smart either. The only way to solve this is through a multi-national Arab force led by the U.S., of course, don't wait for this too happen, there's very little if any oil in Palestine and no money for rebuilding.

SpursWoman
09-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11, had nothing to do with terrorism against the United States, and serves as an example of the immoral manipulation of our nation.

Where've you been?

Hook Dem
09-12-2004, 11:25 PM
"Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11, had nothing to do with terrorism against the United States, and serves as an example of the immoral manipulation of our nation. This is not democracy in action, it is the tantrum of empire."............IMHO, you're fuckin nuts!

Tommy Duncan
09-12-2004, 11:26 PM
The invasion of Iraq was not a punitive effort for 9/11.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Why do people keep thinking Iraq was something punitive for 9/11? I know you libs on this board don't have it all together up there, but come on...

The only way to solve this is through a multi-national Arab force led by the U.S., of course, don't wait for this too happen, there's very little if any oil in Palestine and no money for rebuilding.

You will never see this happen because the Arabs hate the Palestinians almost as much as they hate Israel. Without the Jews around, the Palestinians would be the favorite whipping boy for all the problems in the Middle East.

I know this is a fact and thus escapes your mind Dan, but it's reality. Many other Middle Eastern countries were asked to take the Palestinians in, none of them wanted any part of it.

No multi-national Arab force would ever get involved in that mess. It would be like expecting U.S. troops to try and keep things civil between China and North Korea if they started fighting with each other. Not gonna happen.

Nbadan
09-13-2004, 06:05 AM
So the "alleged" planners and executioners of a plan to murder 2,801 Americans in the most dramatic attack on U.S. soil ever are "supposedly" in Western Pakistan, so W. attacks Iraq instead?

Before dragging us into this war under the false impression of a "immediate and growing" threat, maybe the administration should have run a few more bad case scenarios that weren't entirely relying on the dire intelligence of Ahmed Chalibi? A Iraqi dissident Washington now accuses of spying for Iran.