06-07-2012, 11:10 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_omer_asik.jpg
Born: Jul 4, 1986
Height: 7-0 / 2.13
Weight: 255 lbs. / 115.7 kg.
Prior to NBA / Country:
Fenerbahce Ulker / Turkey
Years Pro: 1

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/omer_asik/career_stats.html)

Andthentherewas21
06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Wouldn't be a bad pickup if Splitter got traded and we were able to get rid of Bonner

blkroadrunners
06-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Some team will end up overpaying him.

timvp
07-01-2012, 01:25 PM
He's reportedly getting offers in the $8 million range. Asik is a very good defender and rebounder but $8 million for such a sub par offensive player? Wow.

Personally, I hope the Bulls lose him because their defense is scary good when healthy. Losing Asik would hurt them.

P.S.

Scary thing to think about: If Asik is worth $8 million, how much is Splitter worth?

Oh and if Asik is going to get $8 million in this market, how are there Spurs fans who say Duncan is worth the same or less? :lol

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 01:28 PM
This market is ouf of control. Owners still offering big contracts despite all the CBA fluff.

Kidd K
07-01-2012, 01:34 PM
I've watched him play a lot. . .Asik is a VERY limited offensive player. . .he basically can't do anything on offense unless it's a wide open put pack. That's basically the peak of his offensive prowess.

Even on defense, he's slow. He's good on D', but quite slow. He also has gotten away with more contact in the post as a Bull than he would as a Spur. He'd be in foul trouble within minutes if held to the same standard the Spurs were against OKC this year.

Not a great pickup imo, especially not if that 8m pricetag is true. Our team would have to change offensive philosophies if we were to get him to make up for his poor speed. We couldn't be as aggressive on offense if we had Asik.

Tbh, I think just replacing Bonner with something better will help our frontcourt defense enough to not need an Asik. Duncan, Diaw, Splitter, someone other than Bonner, and Blair picking up the spare 10-12 minutes.

AFBlue
07-01-2012, 01:56 PM
If Asik gets $8M/yr this summer, I shudder to think what Splitter, a superior offensive and equally mobile big, will command next summer. Ridiculous.

gambit1990
07-01-2012, 01:58 PM
He's reportedly getting offers in the $8 million range. Asik is a very good defender and rebounder but $8 million for such a sub par offensive player? Wow.

this. i just googled his name because i always it was omar. anyways, the top headline from nbc chicago was: "Houston Prepped to Offer Asik $8M a Year". i would like to have him as a spur, but not for that price obviously.

Bruno
07-01-2012, 01:58 PM
This market is ouf of control. Owners still offering big contracts despite all the CBA fluff.

Length of free agent contracts being limited to 4 year surely push team to offer more money per year. Their thinking is that, even if it turns as a bad contract, they won't have to carry it too long.

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Length of free agent contracts being limited to 4 year surely push team to offer more money per year. Their thinking is that, even if it turns as a bad contract, they won't have to carry it too long.

Sure, but it's still a lot of money. IMO, while the guaranteed portion is slightly less (due to there being one less year), the per year is what is critical and there isn't a huge difference from a "bad" risk perspective just because it's only 4 years (that is still a long heavy contract).

All this really does it help the team who currently has him because if they are RFA's they get to match a 4 year vs a 5 year offer.

Andthentherewas21
07-01-2012, 02:20 PM
As has been said, $8 million for this guy is ridiculous. I figured the MLE would be about his worth (and that was factoring in the fact he is a legit 7 footer so he would be overpaid). But seriously $8 million for a guy that only plays half the court and isn't even dominant (ala Ben Wallace) is really surprising.

I suppose it shouldn't be after Deandre Jordon last year, but damn.

Duncan2177
07-01-2012, 02:47 PM
There are some dumbass gms.

Mel_13
07-01-2012, 03:18 PM
P.S.

Scary thing to think about: If Asik is worth $8 million, how much is Splitter worth?

I've been interested to see Asik's deal for just that reason. If the Spurs are convinced that Splitter will command something between 4/32 and 4/40 next summer, might they be more likely to trade him at some point before the trade deadline?

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2012, 03:32 PM
this guy is a fkn scrub who avgs 2/2 yet his price is 8m, same with the other scrub batum who only shoots 3 and shows up once a full moon while hasnt shut down anyone is also going to get paid 8-10m....seems like the bosses didnt learn from the lockout

Sausage
07-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Rockets have reached agreement with Omer Asik on a three-year, $25.1 million contract, league source tells Y! Sports.

timvp
07-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Damn, that's a lot of money. Will the Bulls match? He's such a big part of their defense that they might.

Bruno
07-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Asik is under the Gilbert Arenas rule. It means that the cap hit of his contract will be around $5M for the two first years and $15M for the third year. In 2014-2015, Bulls will have $27.1M spend on their center rotation(Noah +Asik). It's a tough offer to match for Bulls.

ace3g
07-01-2012, 06:53 PM
If the Bulls don't decide to match, but want something in return, could they arrange a S/T for Scola?

elemento
07-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Chicago should match it and think about it later.

Use him for 2 years for 5m/year and in the 3rd year they can think about what to do with his big expiring.

intlspurshk
07-01-2012, 10:06 PM

Personally, I hope the Bulls lose him because their defense is scary good when healthy. Losing Asik would hurt them.

P.S.

Oh and if Asik is going to get $8 million in this market, how are there Spurs fans who say Duncan is worth the same or less? :lol

Exactly. If Pop is not going to rely on Splitter as a starter and keep him in the bench, SPURS should trade him for young centre to avoid overpaying for a backup next summer

BatManu20
07-02-2012, 12:12 AM
$25 mil for Asik?! Lol at the Rockets. They already have like 8 forwards on that roster and now they give a slow , backup Center with zero offense that kind of money.. Fail.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Morey has made some strange moves in the past few years, few of which have helped the team much, and this is definitely one of them. WTF is he thinking here?

blkroadrunners
07-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Not a suprising deal, tbh. He's strictly a high-value defender/rebounder who happens to play for one of the top market cities in the league. If he played for say the Bobcats or Raptors instead, do you think this deal would even exist? I think not.

racm
07-02-2012, 12:47 AM
:lol Daryl Morey

Russo21
07-02-2012, 01:30 AM

Heaps less then 8 million that's for damn sure.

smaka
07-02-2012, 03:10 AM
what a scrub and he gets 25 million in a 3 year deal. how much is Duncan worth then, 60 million for 3 years?? damn

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2012, 03:14 AM
what a scrub and he gets 25 million in a 3 year deal. how much is Duncan worth then, 60 million for 3 years?? damn

That's harsh on Asik - he is a very good defender and rebounder who can barely make a layup, but he's not a scrub. He'd actually be an ideal backup C for us given that we need a defensive bigman for the bench, but not at that pricetag. If we could have swapped Asik and Splitter that might have worked pretty well, but not to be... now, genetically fuse them into OmerSplitt, with Asik's defensive instincts and Splitter's genius in the pnr, and we'd really have something! :lol

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2012, 03:35 AM
That's harsh on Asik - he is a very good defender and rebounder who can barely make a layup, but he's not a scrub. He'd actually be an ideal backup C for us given that we need a defensive bigman for the bench, but not at that pricetag. If we could have swapped Asik and Splitter that might have worked pretty well, but not to be... now, genetically fuse them into OmerSplitt, with Asik's defensive instincts and Splitter's genius in the pnr, and we'd really have something! :lol

he avgs less stats then any our bench player rotational players...lol another overpaid scrub

benefactor
07-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Morey is a gnsf with a GM job.

elemento
07-02-2012, 07:37 AM
So Morey's masterplan went from Howard, Pau and Smith to Asik paying him 8.3m/year and drafting 2 more PFs, making it 7 in total :lmao