PDA

View Full Version : Boris Diaw in game 6

Cant_Be_Faded
06-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I was quite underwhelmed with him most this series, in fact, besides his fouls he has been the invisible man for his minutes this series.

Boris played 25 minutes last night, took and missed only 2 shots, scored 0 points

And had a plus minus of........ +1

He was the only spur on the team to end up positive last night

Pop took him out (again) because he kept fouling. He ended with 4 fouls

I understand not giving him more minutes, he was passing up every shot possible, and putting the thunder on the free throw line

But his +1 makes me want to go back and watch the tape on him

100%duncan
06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Why would you care to watch it again tbh? Season over bruh. We don't even know if we get him back next year.

ALVAREZ6
06-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Diaw sucked dick for most of this series, it was frustrating seeing him pass open shots up and dribble into the lane and turn it over. And commit RETARDED fouls, that you simply don't risk when your teams need you and you risk foul trouble.

rascal
06-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Diaw is not the type of player that will put you over the top. Nothing more than a marginal role player who doesn't make much of a difference.

silverblk mystix
06-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Yet when Splitter gets 1 minute coach pop goes nutz...after Diaw had repeatedly fucked up...

lol

ALVAREZ6
06-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Oh, and his +1 stat is pretty obvious tbh. Diaw was in during a large part of that 1st half when the Spurs were making everything and were up 18 at 2 different points. And it was only a couple minutes into the 2nd half where he committed dumb fouls and was subbed after his 4th, after which the Thunder went on a run and brought the game back into their hands.

The +1 had nothing to do with Diaw, it was Tony and Jack putting in work, while Diaw was passing up open shots and waltzing into the lane and turning it over.

100%duncan
Good to see posters who was sucking Diaw's cock and now back to blaming him again. :rolleyes

Cant_Be_Faded
The man scored zero points in 25 minutes of play and had the only positive plus minus at +1,.against what timvp calls one of the greatest payoff teams the spurs have ever faced.

Its a statistical abnormality.

Zero points, and +1 ?

Very weird, thought it was noteworthy

100%duncan
06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
The man scored zero points in 25 minutes of play and had the only positive plus minus at +1,.against what timvp calls one of the greatest payoff teams the spurs have ever faced.

Its a statistical abnormality.

Zero points, and +1 ?

Very weird, thought it was noteworthy

Would you watch the tape?

ALVAREZ6
06-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Good to see posters who was sucking Diaw's cock and now back to blaming him again. :rolleyes

IDK who you're referring to, but I'm not blaming him for the losses. He did play dumb basketball, however, and was yet another one of the several role players that disappeared when it mattered most.

DMC
06-07-2012, 11:43 AM
+/- on a single player is meaningless imo. Diaw took RJ's role.

Richie
06-07-2012, 11:49 AM
The guy was great for us, but he needs to SHOOT THE BALL.

Seriously, maybe a dozen times in this series he was left open at the 3 point line and drove in to a crowded lane with Ibaka and Perkins there. He is a decent 3 point shooter and they left him open all series, if he starts making them pay for that then maybe the Thunder have to stop doubling Parker/Ginobili

Poolboy5623
06-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Diaw is not the type of player that will put you over the top. Nothing more than a marginal role player who doesn't make much of a difference.

Bingo..while it was exciting when we first obtained Diaw(most of the excitment was due to bonners minutes being taken from him), he was good but simply NOT good enough...with an aging duncan, limited splitter, midget blair, and fire crotch its obvious the only chance the Spurs have is to bring in a big that can be better than avg....and I just dont see it happening unfortunetly.

dylankerouac
06-07-2012, 12:43 PM
I agree with Richie. There were many times in this series where Diaw is the guy that was left wide open by the Thunder. Spurs got Diaw that ball and instead of saying who cares and shooting the wide open three he would drive inside to pass it out to someone else. Ridiculous. If he had taken those shots it would have opened up the paint. The Thunder were basically saying we can live with you shooting those threes and the sad thing was Diaw didn't have enough balls to shoot those threes. His plus/minus told a different story but he's one of the reasons why the paint was clogged for most of the series.

The Reckoning
06-07-2012, 12:44 PM
all frenchies need to be traded

AFBlue
06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
He didn't have a good series, but he's a smart role player that fits very well with this team. I hope the Spurs bring him back (assuming he's in their price range), because I'm excited to see how well he does with a full training camp and pre-season.

Cane
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Diaw is too fat, short, and non-athletic to play a starter's role on a contending frontcourt. He was great for the money and being a midseason acquisition, but the Spurs still are missing that athletic defensive minded shotblocker for a long time now. The Spurs interior defense does the Alamo little justice :downspin:

TDomination
06-07-2012, 01:22 PM
He didn't have a good series, but he's a smart role player that fits very well with this team. I hope the Spurs bring him back (assuming he's in their price range), because I'm excited to see how well he does with a full training camp and pre-season.

Agreed.

I really hope we bring him back.

AFBlue
06-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Diaw is too fat, short, and non-athletic to play a starter's role on a contending frontcourt. He was great for the money and being a midseason acquisition, but the Spurs still are missing that athletic defensive minded shotblocker for a long time now. The Spurs interior defense does the Alamo little justice :downspin:

Bringing Diaw back and getting a shot-blocker are not mutually exclusive. And Diaw's post defense against legitimate post players is pretty good. He's not a shot-blocker, but he does MANY other things that the Spurs value very well.

Also, your athletici defensive-minded shot blocker must also be able to hit a 15ft jumpshot or they will never see the floor. How many of those are you aware of that are available in free agency or the draft that the Spurs have a realistic shot of landing?

objective
06-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Boris can leave. I'd rather take my chances with Lorbek being a giant bust over another postseason of Diaw passing up open shots.

Richie
06-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Bringing Diaw back and getting a shot-blocker are not mutually exclusive. And Diaw's post defense against legitimate post players is pretty good. He's not a shot-blocker, but he does MANY other things that the Spurs value very well.

Also, your athletici defensive-minded shot blocker must also be able to hit a 15ft jumpshot or they will never see the floor. How many of those are you aware of that are available in free agency or the draft that the Spurs have a realistic shot of landing?

Kyle O'Quinn is the only one I see us being able to get. Not seen him play but scouting reports say he can hit a spot up mid range and averaged 2.7 blocks/game last year.

maverick1948
06-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Diaw is Blair with experience. I still wonder why Pop changed his rotations for the last 4 games of the season and playoffs. I would have started Blair and kept Diaw on the 2nd unit with Manu.

BackHome
06-08-2012, 07:43 PM
The problem with Diaw is that he can't score so when Duncan is out and Splitter is in then you have two players who can't score. We need to bring in Lobrek he can play defense and he can score inside out outside.

After that we need a backup PG or SG I would not mind seeing De Colo this summer to see if he has what it takes to make the team.

Draft a project big that can rebound and block shots and put him in D-Leauge.

Knoxxx
06-08-2012, 07:48 PM
I said all along Diaw overpasses. That came to light in the playoffs when OKC did not even have to guard him. That made him unplayable in an 8-9 man playoff rotation, yet we did not have many other options.

slick'81
06-08-2012, 08:12 PM
theres a reason bobcats were done with this under achiever

tkang456
06-08-2012, 08:32 PM
My question is, how the hell is this a point-center? How can he play point guard. this guys is a tank, he has slow lateral movements. i know he was more effective in phoenix, but i never imagine this guy handling the ball

100%duncan
06-08-2012, 08:50 PM
:cry Faggots now dissing Diaw after praising him before the OKC series :cry

GrandeDavid
06-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Who cares about Diaw? The refs stole the game. Thanks for tainting, NBA (Crawford)!

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Diaw is a nice rotation big, but shouldn't be your second best big.

Definitely worth keeping around and he played very well in the first two playoff series.

Fit in very well despite being added to the team and rotation late in the season.

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2012, 11:48 PM
all frenchies need to be traded

:toast

Spurs da champs
06-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Who cares about Diaw? The refs stole the game. Thanks for tainting, NBA (Crawford)!

Funny thing is Crawford was relatively good, now Kennedy & Mott were just plain awful.

As for Diaw I'd thing he's suited as being a big who comes off the bench, but I really get annoyed by him trying to drive instead of taking open 3's. He can pass in the interior I have no problem with that but driving to the lane?...c'mon man!

manufor3
06-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Diaw should not be the #2 big on any contender. If you're looking for an athletic, shot-blocking, or scoring big than Diaw is not your guy. He fits well into the Spurs system, he just won't be a reliable scoring option because that's his play style.

spurs10
06-09-2012, 01:26 AM
I think the question to ask is whether we make it to the WCF without Diaw.

venitian navigator
06-09-2012, 06:29 AM

Right.
But it's also right that we should have something better as a second big.
Lorbek can be this, on the offensive side.
An improved (by full training camp) Splitter can be this on the defensive side.
If we can sign both Diaw and Lorbek with the mle, we could have a more than decent front line next year with six men all capable to play during the regular season (add Blair and Bonner that are already under contract), and four of them in the play offs.
Diaw can take all Bonner minutes in the play offs and his role like the designated three point shooter : at this stage of his career, that's the best fit for him and the training camp should be pointed on improving this skill.
Imho he can became a Bonner with a so much better defensive and offensive potential.

Paranoid Pop
06-09-2012, 08:15 AM
My question is, how the hell is this a point-center? How can he play point guard. this guys is a tank, he has slow lateral movements. i know he was more effective in phoenix, but i never imagine this guy handling the ball

He led the break for us multiple times and has better passing than anyone on the time barring very arguably Manu. But he's not a center, so point forward is more accurate actually.

Paranoid Pop
06-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Right.

No Splitter can't be, highly hackable, can't pass quite as well, can't spread the floor for Tim and TP and can't even defend better than Boris...

If we can sign both Diaw and Lorbek with the mle, we could have a more than decent front line next year with six men all capable to play during the regular season (add Blair and Bonner that are already under contract), and four of them in the play offs.
Diaw can take all Bonner minutes in the play offs and his role like the designated three point shooter : at this stage of his career, that's the best fit for him and the training camp should be pointed on improving this skill.
Imho he can became a Bonner with a so much better defensive and offensive potential.

Tim most likely won't play as well next year, if Tim doesn't dominate do we really have a shot at anything?

Paranoid Pop
06-09-2012, 08:27 AM
:cry Faggots now dissing Diaw after praising him before the OKC series :cry

Yup, lol at the idiots asking to trade him, he's a free agent and can go wherever he fucking wants. We only made it as far as we did thanks to him, he singlehandedly change the Lakers miniseries (with Tim's defense on Bynum) at the end of the season, making us a true contender. For the minimum. Won't happen again. We won't have Green and Diaw for nothing next year so we're unlikely to be as strong unless Lorbek turns out to be much better than what he looks right now.

Paranoid Pop
06-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Diaw should not be the #2 big on any contender. If you're looking for an athletic, shot-blocking, or scoring big than Diaw is not your guy. He fits well into the Spurs system, he just won't be a reliable scoring option because that's his play style.

He should be the starting Small Forward ideally. Green walks, Kawhi plays the 2. We get way taller and a bit better defensively. Assuming he gets in great shape, which is a BIG if. But that's about the only thing that could make me really excited about next season.

I want to see something bold from Pop next season, if not why even bother. Unless Lorbek turns out to be Dirk 2.0 it's stupid to think he alone will make enough of a difference.

venitian navigator
06-09-2012, 08:42 AM
No Splitter can't be, highly hackable, can't pass quite as well, can't spread the floor for Tim and TP and can't even defend better than Boris...

He was a something like 70 % free trhrow shooter before coming in nba...not not so highly hackable if he just play a bit more and gains confidence. Has shown he's a more than decent passer (obviously not like Diaw, but that's Diaw main skill). Has been a more than decent defender. And ok he didn't abnd will never spread the floor, but the point is that when he'll be paired with Tim that's gonna be Tim role to shoot from outside.

Tim most likely won't play as well next year, if Tim doesn't dominate do we really have a shot at anything?

That's true...but you add Lorbek and we'll have a shot in hope he shows he can be at a second level big.

rascal
06-09-2012, 09:57 AM

Yes, he wasn't any type of difference maker and the Spurs still get past Utah and the clippers without him.

Paranoid Pop
06-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Yes, he wasn't any type of difference maker and the Spurs still get past Utah and the clippers without him.

No because he helped Tim like no one on the team could and posted some ridiculous statlines, he also played great D on Griffin for most of the series. He was indeed a difference maker.

rascal
06-09-2012, 11:02 AM
No because he helped Tim like no one on the team could and posted some ridiculous statlines, he also played great D on Griffin for most of the series. He was indeed a difference maker.

Disagree. Spurs still win both of those series easily.

kobexxx
06-09-2012, 12:30 PM
I'll say we keep him for defense

BackHome
06-09-2012, 04:47 PM
HELLO we lost because everyone kept tossing the ball around like a hot potato! No one had the balls to take a shot what we need is someone who can do both score and defend and that would be Lobrek. He is not a great defender but he can hold his own and can be one of the main scorers in the second unit.

Diaw and Splitter don't score but play decent defense...

spursince#99
06-09-2012, 04:54 PM
we need Boris. Might run into Dirk next year.

Fabbs
06-09-2012, 04:57 PM
against what timvp calls one of the greatest payoff teams the spurs have ever faced.
:lol Freudian slip?

That Game 6 was some serious bullshit.
Kobe Durant type fertilizer.

Spurs Brazil
06-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Dollars for Diaw: A Spurs’ equation
Posted on June 10, 2012 at 12:04 am by Buck Harvey in Boris Diaw

Column by Buck Harvey

Before the series with the Thunder, here is what one Spurs’ staffer thought was the best way to keep Boris Diaw:

Win.

Give Diaw both a ring and a sentimental reason to want to return.

After the series with the Thunder, here’s what another in the organization wonders:

Will anyone else want to commit big dollars to a guy who went scoreless in Game 6?

Keep reading: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/06/10/dollars-for-diaw-a-spurs%E2%80%99-equation/

spurs10
06-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Right.
This sounds very hopeful. Does the money work? If Lorbek could come in and be productive in the NBA, Tiago spends some time with Englund, Diaw returns with his intelligence and skill, and we might have a front line.

Budkin
06-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Fake the 3, drive into the lane, 360 spin, TO. Ad nauseum.

Andthentherewas21
06-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Fake the 3, drive into the lane, 360 spin, TO. Ad nauseum.

Never understood why he kept passing up shots and then driving into the paint with 3-4 thunder players. They were daring him to shoot, and worse off, he had made a couple of 3s in earlier games, so its not like his was facing some terrible shooting slump.

Baffles the mind.