PDA

View Full Version : Hopes Shattered when TP decided to take that 3 pointer.

SpursDynasty85
06-07-2012, 11:25 AM
True Story:

Game 6 Western Conference Finals. 35 Seconds Left. Spurs are making a furious comeback to take game 6 and force a game 7. Two Spurs just missed 3 pointers, then Spurs get the offensive rebound, kick it to Tony Parker on the wing. I scream "NOOOOO, Don't Shoot it!!!", then he does, "clank.."

End of Story:

Anyone else have a similar experience?

DesignatedT
06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Hopes shattered on Ginobili "charge" on Harden that took the Kawhi 3 away. Knew at that point we wouldn't get a realistic shot at the game.

Budkin
06-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Hopes shattered on Ginobili "charge" on Harden that took the Kawhi 3 away. Knew at that point we wouldn't get a realistic shot at the game.

This.

100%duncan
06-07-2012, 11:30 AM

Beat me to it.

ALVAREZ6
06-07-2012, 11:32 AM
I agree with you, it was so stupid, and rushed. He had to step back and take the shot and it was not a natural TP 3-point shot. They had PLENTY of time to get a 2, Tony or Manu should have drove. I was very upset with that shot, but whatever, it's a high risk high reward type of shot and it didn't fall.

It seems that all of the Spurs desperation, high-risk, late 3-pointers missed. The opposite for OKC.

Keepin' it real
06-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Hopes began to shatter when the Spurs could not steal game 4, and then totally shattered when they played so shitty with all the turnovers and tentativeness in game 5 at home. There were a few questionable calls in that game too, but that loss was inexcusable. That loss made what happened in game 6 just a formality.

100%duncan
06-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Hopes began to shatter when the Spurs could not steal game 4, and then totally shattered when they played so shitty with all the turnovers and tentativeness in game 5 at home. There were a few questionable calls in that game too, but that loss was inexcusable. That loss made what happened in game 6 just a formality.

No.

SpursDynasty85
06-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Interesting views.

I agree that the offensive foul call on Manu really made me mad. More at the refs than anything.

Also, It was heartbreaking to lose games 4 and 5. but weirdly after, I felt good about Spurs chances to make game 6 competitive, so my dreams weren't dashed yet.

However, TP's 3 pointer really dashed my hopes.

Keepin' it real
06-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Also, It was heartbreaking to lose games 4 and 5. but weirdly after, I felt good about Spurs chances to make game 6 competitive, so my dreams were dashed yet.

This series played out so similarly to the 2004 collapse. Beyond the winning streak turned losing streak, this is what happened in 2004 (if memory serves):

Spurs lead series 2-0.
Spurs get blown out in game 3
Spurs fight hard in a close game 4 but lose in the final couple of minutes.
Spurs play lousy in game 5 at home, but they rally in the 2nd half only to come up heartbreakingly short.
Spurs jump out to double-digit lead in game 6 on the road, but they surrender the lead in the 2nd half.
Given that the Spurs had the long winning streak and seemed unbeatable, everyone looked around in shock when it was over, wondering what the FUCK just happened?

That was 2004. Sound familiar? That's why I had ZERO hope for 2012 game 6, because I had already seen this before, so I knew how it was going to end.

ducks
06-07-2012, 11:45 AM
the three at the end of game 5 by manu was more rushed
should have hit sj

mencken
06-07-2012, 11:55 AM

That's the biggest frustration about this series. If Tony had played like he did in the first half in g5, we would be looking at a 3-3 series going home for a g7.

Oh well, now I have to hope the Heat beat the Celtics so I'll have somebody to cheer against in the finals. I just don't care enough about either OKC or Boston to watch a finals matchup between those two.

DeadlyDynasty
06-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Hopes shattered when the Thunder erased an 18-pt deficit in one quarter.

senorglory
06-07-2012, 12:04 PM
The technical was disheartening. Followed by an offensive foul, or two. "Oh no." but yeah, the three was not great.

The end of this game was kinda like getting the wind knocked out of you, then socked in the eye, then kicked in the balls.

Twisted_Dawg
06-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Hopes shattered when Pop didn't bench Green for Jax in Game 4.

dunkman
06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
This series played out so similarly to the 2004 collapse. Beyond the winning streak turned losing streak, this is what happened in 2004 (if memory serves):

Spurs lead series 2-0.
Spurs get blown out in game 3
Spurs fight hard in a close game 4 but lose in the final couple of minutes.
Spurs play lousy in game 5 at home, but they rally in the 2nd half only to come up heartbreakingly short.
Spurs jump out to double-digit lead in game 6 on the road, but they surrender the lead in the 2nd half.
Given that the Spurs had the long winning streak and seemed unbeatable, everyone looked around in shock when it was over, wondering what the FUCK just happened?

That was 2004. Sound familiar? That's why I had ZERO hope for 2012 game 6, because I had already seen this before, so I knew how it was going to end.
OKC and the Lakers figured out the Spurs offense. Pop was slower to make adjustments, his adjustments worked to lesser extent. Sweeping the previous opponents prevented the Spurs from learning from the mistakes.

I'm not sure why the Spurs were so careless with the ball in game 5, I guess the rotation changes Pop made, the players needed some time to get used. Pop needed some in-game tweeks, not necessarily a rotation change.

Deep is overrated in the playoffs, Pop had to shorten the rotation. Against OKC Tue margin of error was minimal and Green sucking so much in that series should have been substituted by Jack.

Pop could have worked with the Duncan - Splitter bigs rotation, also used Mills when a PG defense was important.

Man In Black
06-07-2012, 12:24 PM
should have hit sj

You mean the one where Manu had to step around the ref who just happened to be in his way, while Tim was setting a screen for Manu? That rushed shot.

Ducks..Go Quack yourself.

MmP
06-07-2012, 12:25 PM
my hopes shattered when sj missed his last 3, we were just 4 down and by the way we were playing, if he missed then meant nobody could hit

SenorSpur
06-07-2012, 12:26 PM

Double this ^

DeadlyDynasty
06-07-2012, 12:32 PM
No, no, no, no, no. Everybody and their mother knew OKC would get home-cookin' in this game, so the only way for the Spurs to combat that was to distance themselves from OKC. They did early on, but then proceeded to drop a deuce in the 3rd quarter. They have no one to blame but themselves.

SenorSpur
06-07-2012, 12:36 PM
With Parker struggling to score in the 2nd half, I thought he should've been setting up others, like Jackson, who was still on fire. Parker was getting into the paint, but he certainly lost his outside touch. He definitely shouldn't have been shooting a 3 in that situation. That's exactly what the Thunder wanted him to do.

AFBlue
06-07-2012, 01:21 PM
They aren't that close without Parker's aggressiveness down the stretch, but I was disappointed with the shot for sure. I was more disappointed with the discombobulation that followed defensively, which allowed for Perkins to get a wide open dunk. Not that the Spurs were in the game at that point, but that sealed the deal.

DubMcDub
06-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Spurs were called for 6 more PFs (and one more tech) in a road playoff game. Pretty standard. Not sure why some Spurs fans keep acting like it's so egregious or unusual to see a disparity of that level.

dbreiden83080
06-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Shattered when OKC cut the 15 pt lead to 1 by end of the 3rd..

AFBlue
06-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Spurs were called for 6 more PFs (and one more tech) in a road playoff game. Pretty standard. Not sure why some Spurs fans keep acting like it's so egregious or unusual to see a disparity of that level.

That's a simplistic view because it doesn't take into account the timing of those fouls.

Spurs were in the penalty less than halfway through the quarter and that changed the entire complexion of the final six minutes. The Spurs aren't a great defensive team, but they can turn up the pressure for stretches. Facing elimination, I GUARANTEE the Spurs play much more aggressively to contest shots, close out, deny ball, and generally pressure the ball if they have fouls to give.

Losing Manu for a couple minutes due to his 5th foul on a BS call was also a game changer.

DeadlyDynasty
06-07-2012, 01:48 PM
blowing an 18-pt lead in one quarter was a game-changer

ElNono
06-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Hopes shattered when we lost Game 5...

dbreiden83080
06-07-2012, 01:58 PM

Yes we all knew it going in.. Was this gonna be 2003 or 2004? They had to find some way any way to pull that one out and we'd be talking about game 7..

DeadlyDynasty
06-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Yup...Game 7 would've meant certain Spurs victory...and with the East looking like it is, a championship victory and that elusive one for the thumb. So close. So very, very close.

TXstbobcat
06-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Yup...Game 7 would've meant certain Spurs victory...and with the East looking like it is, a championship victory and that elusive one for the thumb. So close. So very, very close.

That will always be the big "what if" for 2012 for myself as a spurs fan. What would have happened in game 7 if the spurs would have held on to that 18 point lead in game 6.

cd98
06-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Parker didn't lose game 6. That said, if Deron Williams won't sign with the Nets, what are the chances of a TP and spare parts trade for Deron Williams? I'm hearing the Nets may trade him for Gasol. But that's a waste. Gasol will suck for NJ. Parker would be much more entertaining.

Horse
06-07-2012, 03:46 PM
should have hit sj

Why has no one mentioned the ref tripped Manu right before he shot that 3.

GrandeDavid
06-07-2012, 03:48 PM
True Story:

Game 6 Western Conference Finals. 35 Seconds Left. Spurs are making a furious comeback to take game 6 and force a game 7. Two Spurs just missed 3 pointers, then Spurs get the offensive rebound, kick it to Tony Parker on the wing. I scream "NOOOOO, Don't Shoot it!!!", then he does, "clank.."

End of Story:

Anyone else have a similar experience?

That was ruthless. I also was bummed at four brutal phantom calls/non calls that hurt the Spurs badly.

Budkin
06-07-2012, 04:13 PM
The 3rd quarter was atrocious. All of a sudden we couldn't buy a bucket. That 3 at the end of the half by Durant ended up really hurting us.

ginobili fan
06-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Hopes shattered when durant hit the buzzer to make it to 15 differential before HT.
Seriously.
Then I knew they'll do a shitty 3dr quarter = same old story.

slick'81
06-07-2012, 05:16 PM
the 3 by durant at the end of half was huuge from 18-15 then okc proceeded to open up a can of whoop ass in that 3rd.SPurs had to have atleast a 20-25 point lead to hold off okc in that game

DubMcDub
06-07-2012, 05:43 PM
That's a simplistic view because it doesn't take into account the timing of those fouls.

Spurs were in the penalty less than halfway through the quarter and that changed the entire complexion of the final six minutes. The Spurs aren't a great defensive team, but they can turn up the pressure for stretches. Facing elimination, I GUARANTEE the Spurs play much more aggressively to contest shots, close out, deny ball, and generally pressure the ball if they have fouls to give.

Losing Manu for a couple minutes due to his 5th foul on a BS call was also a game changer.

It absolutely takes into account the timing. Disparities well above +6 for the road team are typical. Are you telling me that, in all those other games with equal or higher disparities, none of the fouls occurred late in the game, or affected the availability of a key player? Please.

The Mavs were called for 10 more PFs than the Heat in Game 6 of the Finals last year. Several of these were in the last 8 minutes. One gave Chandler his 5th foul, and one gave Dirk his fourth. The FT differential was 33 to 18, and that's including garbage time FTs by the Mavs. If you're the better team, you win anyway. And you definitely win anyway when it's a measly +6 differential over the course of the game.

The Spurs have benefited many, many times from home-court calls in key playoff games over the past 13 years. It's nonsensical to act like last night was a "fix" or a "call from Stern" and not just the typical, to-be-expected homecourt officiating.

ginobili fan
06-07-2012, 05:56 PM
the 3 by durant at the end of half was huuge from 18-15 then okc proceeded to open up a can of whoop ass in that 3rd.SPurs had to have atleast a 20-25 point lead to hold off okc in that game

Yeah right in any other night spurs should have had these 20-25 points lead.
But for strange reasons, it seemed like even us dominating massively, we finished bad every end of the quarters this series.

TampaDude
06-07-2012, 06:05 PM

^ this

I was surprised the Spurs even had a lead at halftime of Game 6, let alone a 15-point lead. I really expected them to get blown out.