06-07-2012, 11:41 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_roy_hibbert.jpg
Born: Dec 11, 1986
Height: 7-2 / 2.18
Weight: 260 lbs. / 117.9 kg.
Prior to NBA / Country:
Georgetown / USA
Years Pro: 3

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/roy_hibbert/career_stats.html)

timvp
07-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Hibbert reportedly gets a max offer from the Blazers. Hibbert is good but it seems like the NBA is going away from the big lumbering center type of player. If the Spurs had cap space, I wouldn't agree with throwing a max offer at Hibbert. He's not good enough and he plays a position that is becoming obsolete.

AFBlue
07-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Hibbert reportedly gets a max offer from the Blazers. Hibbert is good but it seems like the NBA is going away from the big lumbering center type of player. If the Spurs had cap space, I wouldn't agree with throwing a max offer at Hibbert. He's not good enough and he plays a position that is becoming obsolete.

I don't know, the Miami Heat (granted without Bosh) looked overmatched and were taken advantage of whenever Hibbert touched the ball. The Pacers were just terrible at getting him involved in the offense, preferring instead to jack up early or contested shots from the wing.

I still think it's a good idea to throw big money at big guys that can impose their will whenever they touch the ball.

Vic Petro
07-01-2012, 01:59 PM
I agree that Hibbert isn't good enough for a max deal but disagree that the center position is becoming obsolete. Anthony Davis just got picked #1.

timvp
07-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I agree that Hibbert isn't good enough for a max deal but disagree that the center position is becoming obsolete. Anthony Davis just got picked #1.

I meant the huge, lumbering centers are becoming obsolete. Davis is about the opposite of lumbering.

Mr. Body
07-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Hibbert shed a lot of pounds and became much more agile before this last season. It made a huge difference. Did you not watch any Indiana Pacers games?

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 02:34 PM
:lol Even with the lost weight and increased agility, he is still lumbering. That is not a person attack on him, it's the truth. He is still a solid player.

CGD
07-01-2012, 02:36 PM
That's a lot of money for Roy. Aside from the debate about the position being obsolete, I just think he's not that elite of a big man. Still a project in many ways.

Budkin
07-01-2012, 02:38 PM
I miss the days of Kareem, DRob, Ewing, and Olajuwon.

T Park
07-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Hibbert shed a lot of pounds and became much more agile before this last season. It made a huge difference. Did you not watch any Indiana Pacers games?

Do you?

Cause all the weight did was allow him to move a little better.

Other than that he's still the same.

Sean Cagney
07-01-2012, 10:12 PM

Yeah, their aint shit like that now man. Those guys were elite.

Sense
07-01-2012, 11:19 PM

I would agree... under the right coaching, he could be a great player.

Just look at Bynum now.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Hibbert for the max is a strange decision in an NBA that is already an athlete's league, and is only going to become more athletic.

Seems to me that Portland has had so many disappointments at C that they're willing to overpay for someone decent, despite the prevailing direction of the winds of change.

In the spirit of "any poor decision by another team is good for the Spurs", good luck to them and I hope they land him. :tu :lol

Spurs da champs
07-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Yeah, their aint shit like that now man. Those guys were elite.

Tim wasn't elite?

But Anthony Davis is a power forward, I'm sure of it.

And as someone mentioned Hibbert was just killing the Heat, till the Pacers became obsessed with shooting 3's.

Big centers aren't obsolete you just need to pair them with an athletic 4.

bigfan
07-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Hell, Id rather we just go after Mahinmi again.

Spurs da champs
07-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Hell, Id rather we just go after Mahinmi again.

I agree, he's an adequate athlete, pretty good free throw shooter & a decent jump shooter. He showed that he could play with the Mavs & is worth another shot.

racm
07-02-2012, 12:45 AM
The Blazers want him?

Did they check if his knees were capable of exploding?

AFBlue
07-02-2012, 12:58 AM
my guess is Indy passes on matching, that is way overpaid. Maybe 8-11 mil a year but a max deal..max deals are for game changing superstars only. Indy likely gets Kaman, Resigns Hill and looks to move Granger.

They'll match.

smaka
07-02-2012, 03:17 AM
They'll match.

Who knows, they already set a meeting with Chris Kaman...

TE
07-02-2012, 03:31 AM

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2012, 03:34 AM
portland offered him a max contract 58/4, about 14.5m a season...sounds reasonable to me....

these new deals sounds better then throwing around 120m contracts to 3rd string stars who wanna be batman or robin aka rashard lewis/joe johnson/gilbert

TE
07-02-2012, 04:54 AM
portland offered him a max contract 58/4, about 14.5m a season...sounds reasonable to me....

these new deals sounds better then throwing around 120m contracts to 3rd string stars who wanna be batman or robin aka rashard lewis/joe johnson/gilbert

:lol:lol:lol:lol

100%duncan
07-02-2012, 05:07 AM
I don't know, the Miami Heat (granted without Bosh) looked overmatched and were taken advantage of whenever Hibbert touched the ball. The Pacers were just terrible at getting him involved in the offense, preferring instead to jack up early or contested shots from the wing.

I still think it's a good idea to throw big money at big guys that can impose their will whenever they touch the ball.

Problem is? He can't. Stop blaming Pacers' offense with why he didn't dominate, he just couldn't. He was fronted,guarded and stopped by smaller guys. Nuff said.

AFBlue
07-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Problem is? He can't. Stop blaming Pacers' offense with why he didn't dominate, he just couldn't. He was fronted,guarded and stopped by smaller guys. Nuff said.

I watched the games. When he touched the ball, he was dominant. So, the Heat fronted him? Big deal. A competent offense would figure out how to get the ball to him even when fronted. Instead, they wholly ignored him for several possessions at a time.

Go back and watch the games, you'll see what I'm talking about.

AFBlue
07-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Who knows, they already set a meeting with Chris Kaman...

Exploring their options? I dunno, I just see a four-year contract at less than $15M per as a relatively good deal in this market for a productive low-post player and lane clogger.

Suppose I could be wrong.

K-State Spur
07-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Hibbert reportedly gets a max offer from the Blazers. Hibbert is good but it seems like the NBA is going away from the big lumbering center type of player.

In terms of using them as a role guy at the 5, sure.

But I think Hibbert's production is about what it would be in any era. The game hasn't moved away from him so much as he just is what he is - solid, but unspectacular big. He can be a top 2 player on a playoff team, but not a championship team.

I do think he and Aldridge fit together for a nice, but not flawless, front line.

rascal
07-02-2012, 11:17 AM
There still is a premium on bigs in the league. So few talented bigs in the league that teams have to pay to land one.

spurspokesman
07-02-2012, 12:32 PM
I watched the games. When he touched the ball, he was dominant. So, the Heat fronted him? Big deal. A competent offense would figure out how to get the ball to him even when fronted. Instead, they wholly ignored him for several possessions at a time.

Go back and watch the games, you'll see what I'm talking about.

This. Hibbert and west went to work on Mia thus almost eliminating them. Miamis achilles heel was offensive bigmen. Indiana took them to the brink and they slaughtered okc. Why? Okc doesnt have any offensive bigmen like hibbert.