PDA

View Full Version : I hope we keep Danny Green

Embedded
06-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Remember it wasn't thought he would even make the team. I think the moment was too big for him. All his collapse in the playoffs did, maybe, was lower his market value, which I think is good for us.

Splitter and Kawhi will have their first training camp. Splitter was injured summer 2010, and 2011 was the lockout.

We need a backup point guard since TJ Ford retired, I think, and another big body that can post up. I think Tony carried too much of a load since we didn't have a backup point guard.

How bout Captain Jack - was he ready for the moment or not?!?!? 6 for 6 from three?!? Are you kidding me?!?! I hope to see him next year, for sure.

I'm worried about Blair and Bonner. It will be an interesting summer.

:flag:

Richie
06-07-2012, 11:46 AM
He is only a restricted free agent. We have him signed for another year already unless he gets a big contract offer we won't match, which he won't IMO.

He tweeted he wasn't going anywhere, I'm sure he is back next year. If we trade a 2 guard, it will be Neal. He's older, more versatile, better shooter but worse defender. I think his trade value is higher

Budkin
06-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Me too... I really like the guy and he has some great experience now.

SpursFaninMS
06-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Green is a system player. He won't do anything in the NBA outside of San Antonio. We could easily find someone to replace him. If he is smart, he knows that SA is where he needs to be.

Splitter is 27 and in his second year in the NBA. He's a little beyond the point where NBA training camp (even if it is his first) can help him. He needs mental toughness. And even with that, I don't think he's much more than an decent bench/role big guy.

To me: Unless you don't really care about building up for the future, getting rid of Jack's contract is a no-brainer. Thanks for the playoffs. Great Spur. But we need to free up money for the future. We already have two past their prime nostalgia guys that we have to hang on to. We don't need a third.

Back-up PG is a must.

Not sure how much we will improve until we have a bad season and can get a high draft pick, though.

Keepin' it real
06-07-2012, 11:49 AM
:trolltroll

ALVAREZ6
06-07-2012, 12:01 PM
I hope we keep everyone except Blair and Bonner, and I don't care about Splitter, indifferent on his pathetic ass.

TXstbobcat
06-07-2012, 12:43 PM
He's a restricted FA and I think his price went down after the WCF performance. I think the spurs will get him for a good price this offseason.

hater
06-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Me too... I really like the guy and he has some great experience now.

LOL wut

mencken
06-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Danny Green had a great season and a good playoffs (up until OKC). His finish was disappointing but, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

If he disappears next year, then I'd start wanting to get rid of him. There are enough disappearing acts on this team as it is.

Poolboy5623
06-07-2012, 12:51 PM
You guys are crazy...if the Spurs plan on "competing" next season, the need guys that wont shrink under pressure...which means Green has to go..if theyre blowing things up and building around Kawhi then might aswell keep him around for the 82 games..

AFBlue
06-07-2012, 01:05 PM
You guys are crazy...if the Spurs plan on "competing" next season, the need guys that wont shrink under pressure...which means Green has to go..if theyre blowing things up and building around Kawhi then might aswell keep him around for the 82 games..

Green didn't shrink, he went cold. He's a streaky shooter that was hot for the first couple series and couldn't buy a bucket in what was unfortunately their last one.

If the Spurs win this series because another role player *cough* Gary Neal *cough* also doesn't shrink, I think it's entirely possible that Danny Green catches fire in the next series.

Danny Green is young, long, reasonably athletic, coachable, plays solid defense, and has a three-point shot. He has holes and flaws, but he's a good role player that should be brought back if the price is right.

hater
06-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Green didn't shrink, he went cold. He's a streaky shooter that was hot for the first couple series and couldn't buy a bucket in what was unfortunately their last one.

oh come on. getting punked by Westbrook on stoppage time is the definiton of shrinking.

AFBlue
06-07-2012, 01:36 PM
oh come on. getting punked by Westbrook on stoppage time is the definiton of shrinking.

He had a bad series. So did the guy in your avatar, but the only reason he continued to see the floor was because Pop didn't have a better option at backup PG on his bench. Should we cut Neal because he "shrunk" too?

KaiRMD1
06-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Need to start working Patty Mills in as the back up point guard at this point.

DeadlyDynasty
06-07-2012, 01:49 PM
scrub

Spurs da champs
06-07-2012, 01:54 PM
scrub

Tbh he is basically a glorified matt bonner.

z0sa
06-07-2012, 02:01 PM
scrub

AFBlue
06-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Tbh he is basically a glorified matt bonner.

Matt Bonner has never brought it in any playoff series. He's also a defensive liability that is too slow-footed, small (short/weak), and has no focus/awareness on defensive rotations.

Danny Green is none of those things.

AFBlue
06-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Need to start working Patty Mills in as the back up point guard at this point.

I'm not sure if he would consistently get the Spurs into their sets and actively seek to set up others, but he's got to be better than Neal.

Spurs da champs
06-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Matt Bonner has never brought it in any playoff series. He's also a defensive liability that is too slow-footed, small (short/weak), and has no focus/awareness on defensive rotations.

Danny Green is none of those things.

Greens defense is overrated (subpar tbh) and his offensive game is just to shoot 3's and when is not hitting them he is useless.

TE
06-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Once a choker, always a choker.

AFBlue
06-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Greens defense is overrated (subpar tbh) and his offensive game is just to shoot 3's and when is not hitting them he is useless.

I think his defense could improve and be more consistent, but the tools are there. And he does have a bit more to his game than shooting 3s, but if he hits those at a high clip then I don't think there's reason for him to do anything else.

Still a far cry from the uselessness that is Matt Bonner in the playoffs. And I see you didn't acknowledge Danny's contributions in the other series', but I understand how selective memory suits the purpose of your argument.

z0sa
06-07-2012, 02:17 PM
I think his defense could improve and be more consistent, but the tools are there. And he does have a bit more to his game than shooting 3s, but if he hits those at a high clip then I don't think there's reason for him to do anything else.

Still a far cry from the uselessness that is Matt Bonner in the playoffs. And I see you didn't acknowledge Danny's contributions in the other series', but I understand how selective memory suits the purpose of your argument.

Danny Green was left open time and time again this series and couldn't hit. Even his defense, which IMHO was better than average over the course of the season, was noticeably sub-average this series. He's a streaky shooter, granted, but he picked an odd time to cold on both ends, let's just say that.

Ultimately, Green is a big reason the coaching staff had to change their entire philosophy from "We go 10 deep" to "Ummm... we're.. uh.. we're experienced and hopefully rested and stuff!"

cd98
06-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Green is great when he's hitting his shot. When he's not, he shouldn't be on the floor. Do we resign him? All depends on the cost. For a low number, yes. But for significant money? No. The Spurs can find a Danny Green every summer.

DeadlyDynasty
06-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Danny Green's contributions meant dick against the likes of Utah and a 1-legged LAC team.

Spurs da champs
06-07-2012, 02:23 PM

Really what the hell have you been watching? All he does is shoot 3's and his occasional drives to the basket were absolutely laughable.

Chris Paul's health had more to do with his poor play then Danny's defense,fact. I'm sure your selective amnesia getting the best of you? Because of last time chris paul played the Spurs healthy he torched Danny.

AFBlue
06-07-2012, 02:29 PM
The piling on over a guy's bad performance in one series is epic. Whatever...I'll leave each of you to your gross overreactions and mischaracterizations of his contributions and skills. I'll just say I hope the Spurs bring him back and that he proves y'all irrational haters wrong.

z0sa
06-07-2012, 02:32 PM
The piling on over a guy's bad performance in one series is epic. Whatever...I'll leave each of you to your gross overreactions and mischaracterizations of his contributions and skills. I'll just say I hope the Spurs bring him back and that he proves y'all irrational haters wrong.

Dude, I know I'm not being irrational. The kid choked hard and got 7 minutes over the last 2 games of a huge WCF series where we desperately, desperately needed him on BOTH ends.

You're grossly underreacting, tbh.

Spurs da champs
06-07-2012, 02:36 PM

Good because your rebuttals were worse than his play.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-07-2012, 02:43 PM
I only hope he realizes this was probably the only time in his career he could have had a real shot at a ring. He didn't do his job. Period.

Jumi
06-07-2012, 02:44 PM
I think we'll bring him back. The asking price took a serious hit in the WCF's. I could actually see us going forward with him and Kawhi as the start of our next big three. The interesting part is finding the young big to pair them with while keeping Duncan to mentor the youngster. This off season will be difficult. Alot of hard choices will have to be made.

pad300
06-07-2012, 03:44 PM
scrub

Hey DD,
Do you think Rick Fox was a scrub? You know, they guy with 3 rings and 4 finals appearances.

Yeah, DG is never going to be an all star. He's a hugely streaky shooter (although he's young enough to improve on that). He plays between decent and excellent D (he's a streaky on that end too). He's energetic, and he fights hard. Good teams usually have a couple of "scrubs" like that in the rotation...

I hope we keep him, and I think we will, as we have his early-bird rights; we don't want to use some of our MLE to replace a guy like him, when DG is good enough and might develop into something more.

DeadlyDynasty
06-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Hey DD,
Do you think Rick Fox was a scrub? You know, they guy with 3 rings and 4 finals appearances.

Yeah, DG is never going to be an all star. He's a hugely streaky shooter (although he's young enough to improve on that). He plays between decent and excellent D (he's a streaky on that end too). He's energetic, and he fights hard. Good teams usually have a couple of "scrubs" like that in the rotation...

I hope we keep him, and I think we will, as we have his early-bird rights; we don't want to use some of our MLE to replace a guy like him, when DG is good enough and might develop into something more.

You want clutch scrubs on your team. Fox, Shaw, et al were clutch. Danny Green wilted when it mattered most.

DPG21920
06-07-2012, 03:49 PM

Well said. Danny, for the right price obviously, has shown enough tools that he can be a pretty damn important role player on a playoff team. Hope he comes back.

Jumi
06-07-2012, 03:50 PM
You want clutch scrubs on your team. Fox, Shaw, et al were clutch. Danny Green wilted when it mattered most.
He's young and it's his first taste of the playoffs. He went from not knowing if he would make the team to playing in the WCF's. Big jump in MOJO!

z0sa
06-07-2012, 03:54 PM
You can't teach clutch. And it wasn't just his shooting. Every part of his game was drastically effected. Pop gave him plenty of chances to turn things around, too, unlike a guy such as Splitter.

I defended Bonner with the same throwaway lines like "He's inexperienced in the playoffs" and "He'll be better next year," despite he not showing up at all when it mattered in the exact same way. I won't do it again. Both players are scrubs and shouldn't see big playoff minutes against a contender until they prove something different.

DPG21920
06-07-2012, 04:08 PM
He was clutch in the first two rounds of the playoffs. That's a lot more for a rookie than most others. Difference is, most rookies don't get chances to get to the WCF.

z0sa
06-07-2012, 04:11 PM
He was clutch in the first two rounds of the playoffs. That's a lot more for a rookie than most others. Difference is, most rookies don't get chances to get to the WCF.

Neither of those teams were close to the Spurs in terms of talent, momentum, and coaching. And the Clippers were injured out the ass. Green basically got to play two bye rounds that no one should allocate clutch points towards IMHO.

Poolboy5623
06-07-2012, 04:15 PM
How can you green lovers compare the first two rounds with the thunder in the WCF?? I dont get it...there was a noticeable change in intensity and green NOTICEABLY wasnt comfortable out there...that coupled w/ the fact the thunder are going nowhere makes me wonder why theyd want to do this all over again? as far as neal goes.... this is about green.

Poolboy5623
06-07-2012, 04:17 PM
lol..."clutch" isnt sweeping bye the first two rounds...clutch is when the chips are stacked and the heat is on...green failed...and failed so badly he was taken out of the lineup.

slick'81
06-07-2012, 04:34 PM
green isnt a rookie but id like to give him another season to hope he learned form this wcf failure

venitian navigator
06-07-2012, 04:52 PM
The task in this series for our back court was not that easy.
Westbrook - Sefolosha -Durant -
Fischer - Harden are probably the best back court - considering starters and reserve players - that there is and there will be in the nba for next few years.

Consider that Durant - probably one of the best two players in nba at this time- was able to play 48 minutes... and Harden and Westbrook were able to do the same if necessary, 'cause of their young age.

If ther's nothing better available, keep Green and try to improve his game.
The only possible and better alternative - given the market circumstances and his supposed will to play with us - could be Batum (young and with the size and defensive skills to be something to pair with Leonard for trying to limit Thunder's wings).

As for the bigs, I see nothing better available than the people we already had (Tim, Diaw, Splitter) or we have already the rights to (Lorbek).

I agree with the need of someone able to replace Parker...Neal can't be a play maker at this level (but as a two guard coming from then bench he has proven to be decent)...but I don't see anyone on the market available for the minimum that could be better than what we already have (Mills).

The point is that will be very difficult for any nba team to join the kind of talent of the Thunder's back court for years to come.

I had high hopes on Anderson, 'cause of his size, defesive skills and supposed good shooting...but probably the fo has already given up on him.

Frankly, I don't see De Colo, as for now, as a possible solution...but if it's true that the FO has already told him he'll be with us next year maybe they've seen something important in him.