06-07-2012, 11:43 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_marcus_camby.jpg
Born: Mar 22, 1974
Height: 6-11 / 2.11
Weight: 235 lbs. / 106.6 kg.
Prior to NBA / Country:
Massachusetts / USA
Years Pro: 15

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marcus_camby/career_stats.html)

Duncan2177
06-09-2012, 10:43 PM
I know he's older but he's long and athletic and blocks shots and rebounds well and will be cheap.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Jeezus, he's 38, two fucking years older than Tim, and two years removed from even blocking two shots per game. Pass.

cd98
06-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Bet he retires.

Richie
06-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Been a long time since he's had a full season. Still a good shot blocker and rebounder at only 20mins per game. Would rather draft a young shot blocker but he'd be better than nothing

Ditty
06-10-2012, 09:42 AM
I bet the Spurs sign him for the minimum.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-10-2012, 09:45 AM

I'll bet he doesn't sign that contract.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-10-2012, 09:46 AM
tbh, I'd rather give Malcolm Thomas a full summer league and training camp.

SamoanTD
06-10-2012, 10:49 AM
A good back up back up plan.

Ditty
06-10-2012, 11:42 AM
I'll bet he doesn't sign that contract.

I bet he does

spursince#99
06-10-2012, 12:38 PM
I bet he does

lol he really will as much as I hate to say :lol

-21-
06-10-2012, 02:29 PM

A couple of years too late to make a big impact tbh. Still, wouldn't be a bad move.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-10-2012, 06:59 PM
I bet he does

At age 38, it hurts to play basketball. Like, every day. Guys who are used to making 8 figures per year aren't going to do it for a mill and change.

I'll do an ELE bet with you if you disagree, though.

Andthentherewas21
06-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Ya the chances he plays for the minimum are slim to none. IF he could be had for it, he wouldn't be terrible insurance as a 4-5 big. But at this point in his career he is a guy to spot your starter some rest, not make an meaningful impact on a contender.

Ditty
06-11-2012, 02:58 PM
At age 38, it hurts to play basketball. Like, every day. Guys who are used to making 8 figures per year aren't going to do it for a mill and change.

I'll do an ELE bet with you if you disagree, though.

Tracy Mcgrady says hi.

Exactly if any team pays a 38 year old there full MLE, or mini MLE then more power to that team. Houston is bringing that Dontas guy over, and will probably draft a big man so I see no use for Camby anymore for them.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Tracy Mcgrady says hi.

Exactly if any team pays a 38 year old there full MLE, or mini MLE then more power to that team. Houston is bringing that Dontas guy over, and will probably draft a big man so I see no use for Camby anymore for them.

Bigs are like MLB left handed pitchers. They'll always be given more development time, they'll always be over valued, and they'll always be overpaid. TMac took minimum because NBA wing players literally grow on trees.

tesseractive
06-11-2012, 07:05 PM
NBA wing players literally grow on trees.

Either this is a pretty funny misuse of the word literally, or someone needs to sit you down and explain the birds and the bees.

Ditty
06-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Bigs are like MLB left handed pitchers. They'll always be given more development time, they'll always be over valued, and they'll always be overpaid. TMac took minimum because NBA wing players literally grow on trees.

Yeah I have no idea why Shaq took the minimum two years ago then

timvp
07-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Camby is one of the few free agents who I think the Spurs might reach out to. They've tried to trade for him a lot in the last five years or so. On top of that, if the Spurs want a shotblocker and rebounder in the middle, Camby is still elite in those areas.

He's old, offensively challenged and was always overrated (:lol DPOY) but he might make sense for the Spurs depending on what they're thinking.

DMC
07-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Never understood how a guy with solid bank wants to play for relatively nothing later in life instead of retiring. If his lifestyle is that extravagant that he's in the hole, that's one thing, but to be financially set and not enjoy the rest of your life doing things other than work, that seems like the ultimate dream. Then again, these guys love the game.

benefactor
07-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Ahh Camby...the ST love that will never die. I can see it now...

2025 Free Agent: Retired Marcus Camby

You think we could talk him into making a comeback? I know he's 51 but rumor has it he's in great shape and playing every day. I'm sure he would accept the MLE. What do you guys think?!?!?!?

King
07-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Never understood how a guy with solid bank wants to play for relatively nothing later in life instead of retiring. If his lifestyle is that extravagant that he's in the hole, that's one thing, but to be financially set and not enjoy the rest of your life doing things other than work, that seems like the ultimate dream. Then again, these guys love the game.

He's going to have the next 40-50 years to not play basketball. Might as well play until the wheels fall off.

Bruno
07-01-2012, 07:17 PM
http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?UFA-C-Marcus-Camby-narrows-his-choices-t=1&blockID=733924&feedID=5212

The unrestricted free-agent center, Marcus Camby, has narrowed his choices to the New York Knicks, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Boston Celtics, and the Dallas Mavericks, a league source told CSNNW.com.

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 07:21 PM
:lol that's narrowing it down?

Bruno
07-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Unless Spurs trade away Splitter (they might be scared about what he will get next summer as a FA when you see what Asik go), Camby doesn't really make sense for them. I don't see Pop being fine with playing on a regular basis Camby alongside Duncan or Splitter.

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Well, Camby does have something Tiago does not: a jump shot. It may be strange looking and not ultra dependable, but he has the ability to shoot that and that might be enough for Pop to like Camby/Duncan.

timvp
07-01-2012, 07:24 PM
:lol The Spurs' interest in Camby never dies. Like I said, he's a player who history says the Spurs would have some interest in. Apparently there is still interest.

However, I'd think he'd be a fallback plan in case the Spurs can't get both Diaw and Lorbek. Another option would be to sign him as a fifth big if the Spurs move both Blair and Bonner.

The interest isn't surprising but let's hope it's not part of their Plan A.

loveforthegame
07-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Interesting. The Spurs have shown interest in Ersan as well.

racm
07-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Spurs FO due diligence as always. Consider all options.

freetiago
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
hes realistically better then anything we could get except maybe magic randolph
but hes still pretty slow
it looks like in the new nba you need a 4/5 who can switch on pick and rolls and youre a top 5 defense
chicago- noah
miami- lebron
orlando- dwight
new york- chandler
boston- KG

racm
07-01-2012, 07:37 PM
hes realistically better then anything we could get except maybe magic randolph
but hes still pretty slow
it looks like in the new nba you need a 4/5 who can switch on pick and rolls and youre a top 5 defense
chicago- noah
miami- lebron
orlando- dwight
new york- chandler
boston- KG

Playing in the offensively challenged East helps, too.

freetiago
07-01-2012, 08:10 PM
theres also no denying those players are great defenders

noah might be the best pick and roll defender in the league
then KG
dwights the best overall defender in the league
and tyson was able to make a team that played 40 year old j kidd, irk, and jason terry a championship caliber defensive team

racm
07-01-2012, 08:15 PM
The unrestricted free-agent center, Marcus Camby, has narrowed his choices to the New York Knicks, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Boston Celtics, and the Dallas Mavericks, a league source told CSNNW.com. CSNNW.com

timvp
07-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Most likely the Spurs are looking at Camby as some sort of fallback option. However, it's also possible that the Spurs are shopping Splitter due to the fact that his price tag is going to be so astronomical next offseason. If you move Splitter, a player like Camby is a must.

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Most likely the Spurs are looking at Camby as some sort of fallback option. However, it's also possible that the Spurs are shopping Splitter due to the fact that his price tag is going to be so astronomical next offseason. If you move Splitter, a player like Camby is a must.

Engage: You think it's possible the plan is to sign Camby so Tiago can be used in a trade with the Bucks for Ersan?

TD 21
07-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Unless Spurs trade away Splitter (they might be scared about what he will get next summer as a FA when you see what Asik go), Camby doesn't really make sense for them. I don't see Pop being fine with playing on a regular basis Camby alongside Duncan or Splitter.

I could see this being the plan. But unless it's him and a package of players for Smith, I don't see another viable scenario. Unless it's him and Bonner to a team with cap space for a decent, young, inexpensive role playing big and a future 1st.

Either way, this team needs more rim protection. And if they can't get it in the form of an athletic, starting power forward, such as Smith, then they need to explore alternative avenues. Between Duncan and Camby, they'd have elite defensive rebounding and near elite shot blocking in the game at all times. And they could occasionally play together.

I'd be shocked if Camby signed with the Spurs, though. I've never heard of Camby being close to Duncan and unless they offered him a starting job and the full MLE (both of which are highly unlikely), I seriously doubt he signs with them. But he does live in Houston, so it's worth a shot. In the end, I think he probably ends up with the Rockets, Mavs or Heat.

racm
07-01-2012, 08:31 PM
S&T Splitter for Ilyasova
Sign Camby for a good sum

This solves the Bucks' lack of centers, gets the Spurs a stretch 4 who ISN'T afraid to rebound and bang in the post (yet has consistency issues), and a reliable rim protector.

SenorSpur
07-01-2012, 10:33 PM
People are forgetting Camby's injury history. Dude has missed a chunk of games in each of the past few seasons. He would've made better sense about 4-5 years ago, but not now.

I'm glad to hear that the Spurs FO is seeking the services of a shotblocker and rebounder. However, I just don't see Camby as a dependable option due to his age and injury history. I was hoping they would've looked at a young free agent options like Jordan Hill.

I'm still surprised the Spurs didn't consider a couple of young shotblocking and rebounding options in the recent draft, like Gonzaga's Robert Sacre or Georgetown's Henry Sims, who were both avaiable @ pick #59 in the draft. Even though they're rooks, we all know that skills like rebounding and shotblocking typically translate well from college to the pros.

T Park
07-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Maybe it's possible they don't think said big men are that good...

SenorSpur
07-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Couldn't be any worse that what they have at those positions now.

benefactor
07-01-2012, 11:16 PM
They went BPA at 59. Can't fault them for that. Denmon has a better shot at making the team than either of those guys.

Edit: Just looked those guys up. lol at taking either of those guys over Denmon. Both suck at rebounding and look like major projects. Either would be a wasted pick that would be cut before preseason was out.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2012, 12:12 AM
At age 38, surely Camby is a fallback only?

As for signing Ersan, I really like him, but it leaves us without a true C to back up Tim. Surely some of Manu's $14mil will be used to keep Splitter (assuming he continues to improve next season)?

BatManu20
07-02-2012, 12:13 AM
YES! Let's sign a 40 year old Center to save our season next year! :bang

sananspursfan21
07-02-2012, 12:20 AM

It seema like now theyre just trying to sign him for the sake of signing him

Spurs da champs
07-02-2012, 12:26 AM
They went BPA at 59. Can't fault them for that. Denmon has a better shot at making the team than either of those guys.

Edit: Just looked those guys up. lol at taking either of those guys over Denmon. Both suck at rebounding and look like major projects. Either would be a wasted pick that would be cut before preseason was out.

It's the 59th pick, you act as if Denmon has already made the damn team. Logic would tell R.C anyways to go with an athletic shot blocking 4 instead of another short combo guard.

AFBlue
07-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Doubtful he ends up in a Spurs uni with all those other suitors, but I like that there's collective interest...tells me he thinks the Spurs are still contenders and that Spurs are still in "win-now" mode.

benefactor
07-02-2012, 07:01 AM
It's the 59th pick, you act as if Denmon has already made the damn team. Logic would tell R.C anyways to go with an athletic shot blocking 4 instead of another short combo guard.
You're right...it is the 59th pick...and the Spurs took the BPA. I've watched Denmon play and I think he's got a much better shot than a couple of seven foot stiffs that can't rebound and can't shoot.

K-State Spur
07-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Biggest worry with Camby is that of every Houston rotation player last year, their worst defensive rating was when he was on the floor.

There's other factors that go into that obviously, but that's tough to just wipe away.

dunkman
07-02-2012, 11:16 AM
The Spurs should keep Splitter tbh. Diaw was a good addition, Lorbek should be good to. But Bonner makes no sense at $4M per season. Blair is a good value as 5th big for certain matchups. Hopefully he gets in shape for the contract year.

CGD
07-02-2012, 11:35 AM

Begs the question: "What is a fair contract for Tiago." 22M/3yrs isn't unreasonable to me.

The deal to watch which may dictate how much Taigo if offered next summer, is the deal for Pekovic. If he follows up his great year in Minni with another solid one in 2012-13, who knows...

timvp
07-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Jonathan Feigen of Houston Chronicle

For Camby issue could be timing. Has interest in Mavs, Spurs, Heat; Might not be able to wait 'til 7/14 for Bulls' Asik offer sheet decision

Other reports indicate that Camby wants to start.

Could the Spurs be signing Camby instead of Diaw and telling him he could start next to Duncan? It'd be a pretty shocking change of course but if Pop wants to improve the interior defense, that'd be one way to do it.

Another reason Camby may make sense to the Spurs is he'd probably only want a two-year contract ... which would be in line with Parker's contract (and probably Duncan's next contract) expiring.

Personally, I'd prefer Diaw but it will depend what the Spurs want to do. If they want to try to become defense-first again and avoid long-term contracts, going with Camby makes sense. If they want to try to become elite offensively again, Diaw is the way to go.

ace3g
07-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Chris Tomasson

Sources say Marcus Camby has interest in Heat but his first choice remains returning to Houston. Would want $3 million exception from Heat, so they couldn't sign both Ray Allen & Camby. Sources say if Rockets have a good offer, Camby could return regardless of whether Rockets get Omer Asik. Camby could split center minutes with Asik & mentor him. Camby, 38, wants a 2- or 3-year contract. Believes can play 3 more years. Heat first looking at Allen but could turn to Camby if Allen back to Boston.

Duncan2177
07-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Chris Tomasson

Sources say Marcus Camby has interest in Heat but his first choice remains returning to Houston. Would want $3 million exception from Heat, so they couldn't sign both Ray Allen & Camby. Sources say if Rockets have a good offer, Camby could return regardless of whether Rockets get Omer Asik. Camby could split center minutes with Asik & mentor him. Camby, 38, wants a 2- or 3-year contract. Believes can play 3 more years. Heat first looking at Allen but could turn to Camby if Allen back to Boston.

Houston? If wants to win a championship he sure wont get it with Houston.:lol

Ditty
07-02-2012, 01:34 PM
2-3 years? F that hopefully well be rebuilding in 2 years . Bring Kenyon Martin.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Cheapest way to improve interior defense and rebounding. That funky jumper of his could allow him and TD to coexist on offense.

Once you get past the Hibbert pipe dream Camby makes sense.

Duncan2177
07-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Chris Tomasson: Source on anyone who thinks Heat can get Allen for $3M & Camby for minimum: "(Camby) would only be interested in Miami for the $3 million.''

Mel_13
07-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Rockets center Marcus Camby to meet with Heat on Saturday, source said. Knicks next. Rockets unlikely, and not until after Asik decision.

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen

mike20spurs
07-06-2012, 04:29 PM
“@SpearsNBAYahoo: NYK and MIA leaders in comp to land HOU C Marcus Camby with either $3m mini mid or Sign-N-Trade, source tells Y! SA,DAL, HOU also interested”

timvp
07-06-2012, 04:47 PM
I wonder if Camby could really be the No. 1 player the Spurs want. He'll be 39 next year at the start of the playoffs ... but he can rebound his azz off, block some shots and pass the ball. If the Spurs don't think that Splitter can man the interior when Duncan isn't on the court, I guess Camby makes some sense.

He wouldn't be my No. 1 option mostly because of his age, fragility and the fact that his scoring is anemic but he's not a horrible option. It'd be nice if the opposition didn't have a free lane to drive for layups whenever Duncan was off the court, tbh . . .

DesignatedT
07-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Camby would be cool but not for 3 years.

tesseractive
07-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Camby would be cool but not for 3 years.
Partially guaranteed 3rd year would be ok.

For that matter, there's a good chance that the third year is our first rebuilding year. We could probably afford to waste a little cap space that year if it helped us compete for the next 2.

DesignatedT
07-06-2012, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't dip into the MLE for him if it means no Lorbek/Diaw or another big besides him. Sounds like he wants too much money.

Bruno
07-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Do people want to have Bonner and Blair playing major minutes next year? If Camby is Spurs main acquisition of the summer, it will be the case.

Spurs needs a PF, not a C. The only case Camby could make sense is if Splitter is traded for another PF. Speaking of which, Houston is loaded with PFs and has Camby bird rights. A trade like Splitter+Neal for Paterson and Camby (S&T) wouldn't be that bad for Spurs.

timvp
07-06-2012, 05:50 PM
What makes quite a bit of sense the more I think about it:

-If the Bulls match on Asik.

-If Camby doesn't get persuaded to join the Heat or other team in the meantime.

Spurs can trade Splitter to the Rockets for a sign-and-traded Marcus Camby plus a couple of their endless assets.

-The Rockets would desperately need a center and Splitter is a great option for rebuilding team like Houston.

-Rockets can reunite Scola with his best friend in Splitter, which may actually make him try harder next season.

-Advanced stats like Splitter as much or more than Asik ... which is important when dealing with the "numbers-oriented" Morey.

-Houston has a ton of assets which may tempt the Spurs -- from their young players, to their recently drafted rookies, to extra draft picks, to other sign-and-trade options like Courtney Lee. The Rockets also have room to easily absorb a contract like Bonner's.

-The Spurs can avoid paying Spitter the $8M+ it'd cost to re-sign him next summer.

Something like Splitter + Bonner for Camby, Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris and a pick makes a lot of sense for both sides. (Replace Patterson and/or Morris with whatever of their other assets you'd want in this fantasy trade.)

It's a pipe dream but it almost makes too much sense. The Rockets have 247410273 power forwards. The Spurs have none of any quality. The Rockets are more than willing to gamble on a center who looks good on a per-minute basis. The Spurs probably aren't interested in paying Splitter a boatload of money next summer.

Hmmm......

DesignatedT
07-06-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't see anyway the Spurs hold onto both Bonner and Blair next season.

timvp
07-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Bruno beats me to the punch :pctoss

DesignatedT
07-06-2012, 05:52 PM
What are the chances the Bulls match on Asik?

Bruno
07-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Bruno beats me to the punch :pctoss

:lol

tesseractive
07-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Depending on how the Dwight Howard situation shakes out, a Rockets deal could be a really interesting way to improve the team without using cap space. If they don't land Howard, the Rockets are going to need a center pretty badly.

I could definitely see Splitter being the kind of player that Morey would be willing to bet on. And really, he could be a really useful pickup for them.

That would also explain the dead silence out of the Spurs front office -- waiting to see where Howard lands before locking in any moves.

TD 21
07-06-2012, 06:24 PM
I could see it, because this is probably the only way the Spurs can get Camby, by paying him more than the Heat can, because they'd get back three young assets for Splitter, who I doubt they want to pay in the neighborhood of $8M annually a season from now and because it would fit with their plan of trying to contend in the short term, while not clogging up the cap long term.

The problem is, this probably doesn't make the Spurs better and it could actually make them worse. Patterson is a third big, who's coming off a terrible season. Morris' upside is that of a third big. And the pick definitely wouldn't be one of their better ones, so the end result could potentially be no core long term building blocks, for an entering his prime starting center. It would answer a lot of questions as far as the big rotation is concerned, but if they're trading Splitter, they should be looking for something closer to a home run.

TD 21
07-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Ken Berger: Spurs focused on re-signing Tim Duncan, but have agreed to stay in touch with Camby's camp as things develop (http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html)

Ken Berger: After Marcus Camby meets with Knicks and Heat this weekend, talks with Dallas and San Antonio expected to follow, (http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html) league source says. Twitter (http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html)

timvp
07-06-2012, 06:42 PM
WTF? Have we stumbled upon what the Spurs may be trying to do? "As things develop" could very well be regarding Asik. It also somewhat jives with what Lorbek is saying.

Splitter for Camby, one of their power forwards and that Toronto guaranteed lottery pick :smokin

With the MLE, go get Diaw and/or Lorbek.

Interesting ............

pad300
07-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Something like Splitter + Bonner for Camby, Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris and a pick makes a lot of sense for both sides. (Replace Patterson and/or Morris with whatever of their other assets you'd want in this fantasy trade.)

Make a pair of first round picks ... take Leuer if they insist. Don't take Morris (I don't think I'd want Patterson either). I'd value a 2nd round pick more than either of them (they take roster spots and 1st round money for not much...). The only other thing of interest on Houston's roster is their recent draft pick and Donata Moietjunas, which I really doubt they will let us touch.

I would approve of a Splitter + Bonner S&T for Camby plus assets(preferably a couple of 1sts, say 2015 and 2017). I still hope we could get Lorbek and Diaw in the MLE

C - Duncan, Camby
PF - Diaw, Lorbek, Blair,

I'd still love to see Kirilenko though, especially if we could do something clever with either Diaw or Lorbek.

Duncan, Kirilenko, Camby, Diaw/Lorbek, Blair... That's a front line.

Redshadows
07-06-2012, 06:51 PM
WTF? Have we stumbled upon what the Spurs may be trying to do? "As things develop" could very well be regarding Asik. It also somewhat jives with what Lorbek is saying.

Splitter for Camby, one of their power forwards and that Toronto guaranteed lottery pick :smokin

With the MLE, go get Diaw and/or Lorbek.

Interesting ............
Or maybe Bucks would like to S&T Ilyasova for Splitter and somebody else, so Spurs need to sign another center.:lol

Redshadows
07-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Or maybe Rockets want to get Splitter and offer him $8m per year?

Mel_13
07-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Or maybe Rockets want to get Splitter and offer him $8m per year?

They probably will next summer. All the more reason to see him as a trade asset this summer.

Redshadows
07-06-2012, 06:58 PM
They probably will next summer. All the more reason to see him as a trade asset this summer.
When should Blazers decide to match Asik or not?

TD 21
07-06-2012, 06:58 PM
The power forward I'd target is Jones. He's got some Diaw in him, as far as being a ball handling four, only he's far more athletic. They'd probably try to sell the Spurs on Patterson/Morris, though. But the Spurs would be in the drivers seat. If the Bulls match on Asik, they've got to do something to get a center and Splitter would be a nice piece to send back in a potential Howard trade as well. So I'm not sure how much of a fight they'd put up over surrendering Jones, when they've got about 24 power forwards, three of which are of the tweener variety, particularly when I believe White is the one they're highest on. Can't see them giving up the Raptors pick, especially if they relent on Jones. But whatever the exact pieces are (it's not difficult to envision various variations of this trade), the Spurs goal should be for the end game to be a Duncan, Diaw, Camby, Jones, big rotation.

Bruno
07-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I really like the little I saw form Patterson. He should be a really good backup PF.

Aside of all their PFs, another interesting assets Houston has is Jeremy Lamb. Spurs might really be interested in him especially if they think Manu is close of being done.

Vic Petro
07-06-2012, 07:03 PM
I am a big fan of Lamb both the player and the meat.

blkroadrunners
07-06-2012, 07:04 PM
I really like the little I saw form Patterson. He should be a really good backup PF.

Aside of all their PFs, another interesting assets Houston has is Doron Lamb. Spurs might really be interested in him especially if they think Manu is close of being done.

You mean Jeremy Lamb right? Doron was drafted from the Bucks.

Bruno
07-06-2012, 07:08 PM
You mean Jeremy Lamb right? Doron was drafted from the Bucks.

Yep, wrong lamb.

Mel_13
07-06-2012, 07:08 PM
I don't see the Spurs having as much leverage as some others here. The notion of getting this done after Chicago matches Asik and Houston becomes desperate is problematic because of the timing. It assumes that Camby will be willing to wait three days and risk losing his chance to go to Miami.

If this is going to get done, I'd say all the parties have to come to an agreement before the moratorium ends and before Chicago's decision is known.

Redshadows
07-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Patterson + Campy for Splitter? no
Patterson + Campy + future first round pick for Splitter? yes

tesseractive
07-06-2012, 07:15 PM
The power forward I'd target is Jones. He's got some Diaw in him, as far as being a ball handling four, only he's far more athletic. They'd probably try to sell the Spurs on Patterson/Morris, though. But the Spurs would be in the drivers seat. If the Bulls match on Asik, they've got to do something to get a center and Splitter would be a nice piece to send back in a potential Howard trade as well. So I'm not sure how much of a fight they'd put up over surrendering Jones, when they've got about 24 power forwards, three of which are of the tweener variety, particularly when I believe White is the one they're highest on. Can't see them giving up the Raptors pick, especially if they relent on Jones. But whatever the exact pieces are (it's not difficult to envision various variations of this trade), the Spurs goal should be for the end game to be a Duncan, Diaw, Camby, Jones, big rotation.
:tu

Personally, I'd rather take Jones than a future pick anyway. If they can rebuild his shot -- something we all know that the Spurs specialize in -- he could be a legit asset on both ends of the court, and he's exactly the kind of athlete everyone's been wishing for at the 4.

Besides, if we're doing our best to field a team that will take us as deep as we can go into the playoffs while Tim is still here, a talented rookie makes a lot more sense than a future pick.

And really, the Rockets have 3 different rookies, and 2 of them are power forwards. I can't imagine they really want to develop all of them themselves anyway. I'd be surprised if Jones wasn't available for the right price.

TD 21
07-06-2012, 07:17 PM

Aside of all their PFs, another interesting assets Houston has is Doron Lamb. Spurs might really be interested in him especially if they think Manu is close of being done.

I like Patterson too, but he he had a PER of 11.5 last season and a rebound rate of 11.2 (both are pathetic numbers for a power forward). I think it was probably a down season and he'll rebound and get back around his rookie season levels (16.7 and 13.1), but still. What's the absolute upside here, a slightly better Landry? Not good enough as the possible best long term piece in a Splitter trade.

Lamb is interesting, but I'd imagine he'd be off limits in this scenario. Martin, they've supposedly decided to retain for now, but he's clearly going to be gone by, if not the trade deadline, then next off season at the latest. And with them rescinding their qualifying offer to Lee and making him unrestricted, if they gave up Lamb, they'd have nothing in place going forward at shooting guard.

Mel, word is, if they miss on Allen, he's their second target. And it's not like there's a bevy of quality low cost options at center that they'll have to move on to quickly or risk missing out. They'll probably turn to the corpse of O'Neal, who's probably on standby. On Camby's end, he'd probably be willing to wait if it means more money.

Mel_13
07-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Mel, word is, if they miss on Allen, he's their second target. And it's not like there's a bevy of quality low cost options at center that they'll have to move on to quickly or risk missing out. They'll probably turn to the corpse of O'Neal, who's probably on standby. On Camby's end, he'd probably be willing to wait if it means more money.

Understood. He's also got talks scheduled with the Knicks and Mavs. Still believe this needs to get done before July 10th.

DesignatedT
07-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I'd be more then willing to take a risk on Patterson in a Splitter trade ( especially if that trade also includes Bonner). Like many have pointed out, no way the Spurs give Splitter the 6-8 mil he will be offered next off-season.

A Splitter +Bonner for Camby + Patterson would be a go IMO. Then use the MLE on Diaw or Lorbek.

Defensively it would be an upgrade instantly with those to acquisitions and Patteron is that PF who could play some good minutes next to Duncan. He has a pretty good jumper and all around offensive game compared to Splitter. Camby would slide into that Tiago role for 15-20 mpg.

tesseractive
07-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Understood. He's also got talks scheduled with the Knicks and Mavs. Still believe this needs to get done before July 10th.
How likely do you think it is to get resolved before a Dwight Howard trade is settled?

timvp
07-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Random thoughts about potential Splitter for Camby deal:

1. If the Rockets strike out this summer and otherwise don't land D-Ho, is there any doubt they'll throw a huge offer at Splitter? If Asik is worth $8 million, Morey throwing $10 million at Splitter wouldn't be out of the question.

2. I remember a couple summers ago when RC was interviewed at summer league, he was asked who impressed him the most. The first name out of RC's mouth? Patrick Patterson. Yeah, that was a while ago and he's never blossomed but his skillset would fit on the Spurs. Main reason why I'm not overly high on him is that his "controlled" years are almost over since he's entering his third season in the NBA.

3. One reasonably priced shooting guard I would advocate in place of Danny Green is Courtney Lee. I like his defense, he's more varied offensively and can fit a role.

4. An added bonus of getting players in a trade with the Rockets is the Spurs would still have the MLE to round out their roster. As it stands, it'd be pretty difficult to fill the holes with just the MLE and BAE.

5. We know the Rockets and Spurs can work together in a trade. (Scola Thread!) Dennis Lindsey and Morey worked together for a while.

6. The Spurs have tried to trade for Camby countless times over the years. The closest they got to landing him was that time they almost traded George Hill for him. (In retrospect, that would have been a pretty horrible trade considering Hill would eventually fetch Kawhi Leonard +)

7. It's weird how Camby's rebounding just keeps getting better somehow. He's 38 yet is rebounding better than he did in his prime.

8. Camby has lived in Houston since 2005. When he got traded to Houston, he talked about how much he loved being so close to home. S.A. being a short flight from Houston is probably a plus. Not to mention the Spurs can probably outbid everyone else by throwing ~$3.5M a year at him.

9. Can Duncan and Camby play together? Offensively, they probably can. His ugly jumper is ugly but teams have to at least pay attention to him. Plus Camby is an underrated passer. Defense is where it'd be a tough fit. Camby is too slow to defend pick-and-rolls. Duncan is also too slow in many matchups. Pairing those two together would result in great paint defense but it'd be difficult to defend any team that has speed or a good point guard.

10. It wouldn't be crazy to give Camby three years if Duncan also wants three years. Two years is obviously preferred but it wouldn't have to be a deal-breaker depending on what Duncan wants to do. Speaking of Duncan, if this is indeed the Spurs' plan, you can bet Duncan is a driving force behind it.

Mel_13
07-06-2012, 07:28 PM
How likely do you think it is to get resolved before a Dwight Howard trade is settled?

I don't see Howard getting traded to Houston at all.

tesseractive
07-06-2012, 07:45 PM
I don't see Howard getting traded to Houston at all.
Doing a deal for Splitter presumably means Houston throwing in the towel and admitting defeat in trying to get Howard.

If Howard hasn't landed anywhere yet, is Morey likely to do that? I would think he might want to wait until he really has exhausted his options there -- however unlikely it is that he can get it done.

Mel_13
07-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Doing a deal for Splitter presumably means Houston throwing in the towel and admitting defeat in trying to get Howard.

If Howard hasn't landed anywhere yet, is Morey likely to do that? I would think he might want to wait until he really has exhausted his options there -- however unlikely it is that he can get it done.

Waiting means he gets nothing for Camby. Splitter only has one year left on his contract at 4M. Not much risk in doing that deal.

Vic Petro
07-06-2012, 07:55 PM
I think Morey sees the writing on the wall. No chance they can a.) swing a trade for Howard; and b.) get him to sign an extension. With Tiago he can get a very good starting center that will stay long-term. It makes too much sense not to happen, as long as Chicago matches Asik and Camby wants to come to SA.

Props to Spurstalk for doing RC's job :toast

timvp
07-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Chris Tomasson ‏@christomasson
Source says Houston would consider sign-and-trade with any team for Marcus Camby if Rockets like what they could get back. Miami Heat in mix

:stirpot:

Mel_13
07-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Like I said. Can't wait until the Asik decision. Other teams can do sign and trades as well. If Houston can get more than one team offering a trade, Houston will be the team with the leverage.

Mel_13
07-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Ray Allen to the Heat.

That helps.

timvp
07-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Ray Allen to the Heat.

That helps.

Heat not dead in the Camby hunt but this makes it a lot less likely I'd imagine.

TD 21
07-06-2012, 09:18 PM
The only thing the Heat can realistically offer that would appeal to them would be Cole. Suffice it to say, I think they'd pick Splitter over Cole, though.

Technically, Camby is the one with the leverage. Yes, a sign-and-trade get's him more money, but ultimately, if he specifically wants to be with the Heat or Spurs or wherever, he can just sign outright.

tesseractive
07-06-2012, 09:28 PM
The only thing the Heat can realistically offer that would appeal to them would be Cole. Suffice it to say, I think they'd pick Splitter over Cole, though.

Technically, Camby is the one with the leverage. Yes, a sign-and-trade get's him more money, but ultimately, if he specifically wants to be with the Heat or Spurs or wherever, he can just sign outright.
He'd have to want to be with the Heat pretty badly to sign for the minimum when he can get a lot more elsewhere.

Duncan2177
07-06-2012, 09:36 PM
He'd have to want to be with the Heat pretty badly to sign for the minimum when he can get a lot more elsewhere.

I like the spurs chances.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Would be a great offseason if they could pull off a trade with Houston.

Sign & trade of Splitter, Bonner, & Neal for Camby, Lee, & Houston's 1st round pick. If they don't want to give up pick then try & see if they would swap 1st round picks.

Of course acquiring Lee would mean that there is no need for Green so maybe spurs could sign & trade Green to Utah for a draft pick or picks.

Leaving the spurs with both MLE & BAE to fix the problem at PF

Probably just a pipe dream though.

therealtruth
07-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Splitter could probably average 20 and 10 with McHale coaching him.

racm
07-07-2012, 01:04 AM
But only because his MPG would increase.

07-07-2012, 01:09 AM
camby's health is going to be shaky at the age of 38, 39 by next year's playoffs. it'll be such a waste if the spurs trade splitter for camby just for him to sit out a majority of next season. they will definitely need to get patterson in return since he fits the best with the spurs.

then of course, splitter will go on to win MIP next year on the rockets and the spur fanbase will collectively cut themselves.

Sense
07-07-2012, 08:18 AM

No.

therealtruth
07-07-2012, 10:47 AM

No.

Alright, 15 and 9.

pad300
07-07-2012, 11:15 AM

No.

therealtruth might not be far off the mark... This season he averaged 17.6 and 9.8 per 36 minutes. If he was playing 36 mpg, he might get damn close...

timvp
07-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN

Camby considering Knicks, Heat, Rockets, Mavs and Spurs while Brooklyn is emerging as a "dark horse." Houston is open to a sign and trade

DPG21920
07-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Wonder when he's actually going to narrow down his list...

Sense
07-07-2012, 01:52 PM
therealtruth might not be far off the mark... This season he averaged 17.6 and 9.8 per 36 minutes. If he was playing 36 mpg, he might get damn close...

You seriously think Splitter can average 20 and 10? Just because he was effective with the Spurs as the second best big man who thrived off pick and rolls, doesn't mean that Rocket players are going to stop ball hogging and he's def. not going to go near those numbers with all those young guys that have something to prove.

Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN

Camby considering Knicks, Heat, Rockets, Mavs and Spurs while Brooklyn is emerging as a "dark horse." Houston is open to a sign and trade

Here's to hoping.

FromWayDowntown
07-07-2012, 02:17 PM

No.

Those sorts of claims always make me laugh. Last year, there were 3 guys in the entire NBA who averaged 20 and 10:

Kevin Love -- 26.0 PPG, 13.3 RPG
Blake Griffin -- 20.7, 10.9
Dwight Howard -- 20.6, 14.5

Since 2008, there are only 7 guys that have pulled off 20/10 seasons: Chris Bosh (x2), Blake Griffin, Dwight Howard (x2), Al Jefferson, David Lee, Kevin Love, Zach Randolph (x3).

In fact, there are only 16 guys in the entire league who even managed 15 and 8 last season.

CGD
07-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN

I guess we have to hope the bulls match that Asik offer sheet.

With Allen signing at Heat, Miami would have to do a S&T to land camby no? And if so their tradable assets look shitty.

Mavs, hmm. Adding Camby seems inconsistent with Cuban's stated goal for not tying up his precious cap space.

I'm less familiar with the Knicks and Nets financial situation.

timvp
07-07-2012, 03:15 PM
If the Heat want to land their next free-agent target, veteran center Marcus Camby, Riley is going have to make the same sale or likely lose out to the New York Knicks.

Camby's current starting point for salary, sources said, is $3 million per season on a multiyear deal. The only way for the Heat to make that work is a sign-and-trade with the Houston Rockets, who own Camby's rights. The Rockets, however, are interested in a sign-and-trade with the Knicks but not with the Heat, sources told ESPN.com.

The Knicks, sources said, have had discussions with the Rockets about Camby and the Dallas Mavericks about a sign-and-trade for free agent Jason Kidd, who agreed to join the Knicks earlier this week. The Knicks are hoping to make a sign-and-trade deal for one of them and use their $3.09 mid-level exception to sign the other.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8138774/sources-new-york-knicks-ahead-miami-heat-pursuit-marcus-camby

Bruno
07-07-2012, 03:18 PM
At the end, I hope Spurs won't get Camby.

Getting Camby would mean trading Splitter and, unless Spurs get an amazing return, which is unlikely after his playoffs, I'm against it. Good centers are damn hard to find. Spurs have one with Splitter, they better keep him.

ace3g
07-07-2012, 03:24 PM

Getting Camby would mean trading Splitter and, unless Spurs get an amazing return, which is unlikely after his playoffs, I'm against it. Good centers are damn hard to find. Spurs have one with Splitter, they better keep him.

Have to agree

DesignatedT
07-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Not sure I'd give Splitter a 3 year 25 mil contract after this season.

He's not the youngest player already. OKC took the p&r away and Splitter was basically useless out there. He has no jumper, little back to the basket game. he's good defensively but isn't great.

I wouldn't do a Splitter for Camby straight up swap for sure but if it brought somebody like Patterson or a young PF or even a 1st round draft pick I would be interested.

CGD
07-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Oh i agree; I don't consider Camby the prize in the trade but more so what it may bring back. Houston has a lot of interesting 4s and giving up a decent 5 may be wroth it if you believe TD and Camby can hold down the 5 spot for the Spurs for the next 2 years.

That said I'm still puzzled by the Lorbek comment bc he seems like the 4 we'd want. TD and Splitter at the 5, is arguably the best in the League.

TD 21
07-07-2012, 03:32 PM

I'm 50/50; it would depend on the exact return. But whether you're for or against it, can this team ever get who they want? I didn't at all want Butler or Howard last off season, but still, they wanted them and as usual, they were turned down. Butler made a lot more going to the Clippers, but Howard? Him turning them down made zero sense. Just like Hill and Martin turning them down did. First class organization, still a title contender (even if the odds are extremely slim) and yet every credible or used to be credible veteran seems to spurn this team, outside of Diaw, for obvious reasons. It's unbelievable.

I know it's not over yet, but the Knicks, seriously? He can't play with Chandler and Chandler is going to eat up roughly 33 mpg. Why would he want to play roughly 15 mpg, on a non contender, when he can play 20 mpg, play for a contender, make more money and do all of this close to his off season home?

As far as Splitter, I like him, but he's soft, not all that durable, probably won't ever have the stamina to be more than a high 20's, maybe 30 mpg player and he doesn't do enough center type things well, like shot blocking, rebounding and post defending. Since they won't have much committed salary after next season, it wouldn't kill them to give him something like $8M annually, but I could understand them not wanting to pay him that either.

therealtruth
07-07-2012, 03:39 PM
You seriously think Splitter can average 20 and 10? Just because he was effective with the Spurs as the second best big man who thrived off pick and rolls, doesn't mean that Rocket players are going to stop ball hogging and he's def. not going to go near those numbers with all those young guys that have something to prove.

Here's to hoping.

People have short memory. There was a point in the season where Splitter was more than a pick and roll player and could actually score on the low block. McHale being a big man coach would recognize his potential on the low block and try playing through him.

AFBlue
07-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Passing mention of the Spurs in an occasional reference doesn't bode well for them. Spurs should just roll with Lorbek.

DesignatedT
07-07-2012, 03:44 PM
People have short memory. There was a point in the season where Splitter was more than a pick and roll player and could actually score on the low block. McHale being a big man coach would recognize his potential on the low block and try playing through him.

Did you watch the WCF? Splitter could not do 1 thing once they took the p&r away. Dude couldn't even effectively back down Fisher on the block when OKC started all that switching on the screens shit. It was pretty embarrassing.

Even Bonner plays well during the regular season against the Kings and all the other scrubs.

Splitter can not play with his back to the basket against good defensive big men. Not even close, and tbh not many players these days can.

Big P
07-07-2012, 03:48 PM
While camby would be a nice addition, I don't want him at the expense of Tiago.

bklynspursfan
07-07-2012, 04:03 PM
"Camby's current starting point for salary, sources said, is $3 million per season on a multiyear deal. The only way for the Heat to make that work is a sign-and-trade with the Houston Rockets, who own Camby's rights. The Rockets, however, are interested in a sign-and-trade with the Knicks but not with the Heat, sources told ESPN.com. ESPN.com"

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

timvp
07-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Ken Berger: Marcus Camby has postponed his visit with the Heat and will meet with the Knicks tomorrow, league source tells @CBSSports.

It sounds like the Knicks may very well be about to land Camby.

Yeah, I'm not super high on Camby. If that's the way the Spurs want to go, I'd only approve if they get a good return from the Rockets. Otherwise, the downgrade from Splitter to Camby is too large -- especially when you factor in Splitter potentially improving in the next couple years and Camby potentially falling off a cliff.

I still think the first thing the Spurs need to do outside of Duncan is bring back Diaw. He fits well and gives the Spurs a pretty damn high ceiling, relatively speaking.

timvp
07-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Marc Berman ‏@NYPost_Berman

Nets, San Antonio and maybe Dallas also in mix for Camby. Told that Knicks as "frontrunner" too strong a term.

Well maybe the Knicks aren't about to land him :lol

gambit1990
07-07-2012, 04:29 PM
He's not the youngest player already. OKC took the p&r away and Splitter was basically useless out there. He has no jumper, little back to the basket game. he's good defensively but isn't great.

therealtruth
07-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Did you watch the WCF? Splitter could not do 1 thing once they took the p&r away. Dude couldn't even effectively back down Fisher on the block when OKC started all that switching on the screens shit. It was pretty embarrassing.

Even Bonner plays well during the regular season against the Kings and all the other scrubs.

Splitter can not play with his back to the basket against good defensive big men. Not even close, and tbh not many players these days can.

I made that clear in my comment he wasn't anywhere as good on the low block as he was earlier in the season. How do you expect him to improve on the low block with Pop restricting him to a pick and roll player?

Sense
07-07-2012, 05:18 PM

You're saying he has the potential to dominate like the 3 guys below? No.

Those sorts of claims always make me laugh. Last year, there were 3 guys in the entire NBA who averaged 20 and 10:

Kevin Love -- 26.0 PPG, 13.3 RPG
Blake Griffin -- 20.7, 10.9
Dwight Howard -- 20.6, 14.5

Since 2008, there are only 7 guys that have pulled off 20/10 seasons: Chris Bosh (x2), Blake Griffin, Dwight Howard (x2), Al Jefferson, David Lee, Kevin Love, Zach Randolph (x3).

In fact, there are only 16 guys in the entire league who even managed 15 and 8 last season.

I thought it was between 3-5, but honestly was too lazy to look it up. :lol makes that look even worse. It's hard enough that you have to average 20 points, not even Tony Parker finished with that in our team.. but somehow McHale is supposed to turn Splitter into an All-Star :lol

Josepatches_
07-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Splitter is a 15-10 player

He played bad in the WCF but Spurs did the same. Plus Pop was awful too.

Bruno
07-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I'm not super high on Camby. If that's the way the Spurs want to go, I'd only approve if they get a good return from the Rockets. Otherwise, the downgrade from Splitter to Camby is too large -- especially when you factor in Splitter potentially improving in the next couple years and Camby potentially falling off a cliff.

My issue is that Camby and Duncan are damn old. They might be fine for this season but what about after that?

For the 2013-2014 playoffs, Duncan will 38 years old and Camby 40 years old. I highly doubt it will work. So, if Spurs trade away Splitter this summer, they will need to add a quality center next summer which won't be easy. The most logical would be to keep Splitter.

objective
07-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Trading Splitter to get Camby and whatever tweener forward the Rockets would be willing to dump would be the worst trade since Scola.

The Spurs have just about wasted 2 years of Splitter's cheap contract. Asik has made it clear, backups will still get paid big money. Hiding Splitter on the bench because it wouldn't be fair to the team to give him extended time next to Duncan during the meaningless regular season won't keep his price down.

timvp
07-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Chris Mannix: Right now the Heat are going all in on Rashard Lewis. He is No. 1 on Miami's list. Expect the VIP treatment for Lewis in meeting tomorrow 1 minute ago

Chris Mannix: Miami not interested in sign and trade scenarios that include Norris Cole or Joel Anthony, sources say. Makes Camby an unlikely fit. 3 minutes ago

Hoops Czar
07-07-2012, 07:32 PM
My issue is that Camby and Duncan are damn old. They might be fine for this season but what about after that?

For the 2013-2014 playoffs, Duncan will 38 years old and Camby 40 years old. I highly doubt it will work. So, if Spurs trade away Splitter this summer, they will need to add a quality center next summer which won't be easy. The most logical would be to keep Splitter.

You make a play for Josh Smith.

DPG21920
07-07-2012, 07:37 PM

Is the future that big of an issue - at least with regards to Tiago? I think the Spurs are trying to win now (next two years) while reubuilding during/after that. If you are going to win now, getting a guy who Pop feels can play next to Tim has to be the highest priority. Tiago and Tim are not going to play together and if you can use Tiago to get something where there is someone Pop feels good about next to Tim, then I think you have to do it.

Also, when the rebuild starts, is Tiago so good that he is a cornerstone of your future?

I think Camby can play next to Tim, so I don't see why they would be forced to move Tiago either.

DPG21920
07-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I am not saying Camby is worth Tiago in a bubble (it would truly depend on who the Spurs got back in a deal), but I get the logic.

Bruno
07-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Is the future that big of an issue - at least with regards to Tiago? I think the Spurs are trying to win now (next two years) while reubuilding during/after that. If you are going to win now, getting a guy who Pop feels can play next to Tim has to be the highest priority. Tiago and Tim are not going to play together and if you can use Tiago to get something where there is someone Pop feels good about next to Tim, then I think you have to do it.

Also, when the rebuild starts, is Tiago so good that he is a cornerstone of your future?

If Duncan wants to play till "the wheels fall off". Spurs will need a damn good center in couple of years when Tim will play even more limited minutes. A 40 years old Camby isn't that guy. I would go easily with Diaw over them.

Regarding Houston, I don't see a single player among all their PFs who could be very good alongside Duncan as soon as next season.

DPG21920
07-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Why do you think Camby means you can't have Tiago? Camby and Tim can start, which means Tiago can be in his same role - Tim's backup.

Bruno
07-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Why do you think Camby means you can't have Tiago? Camby and Tim can start, which means Tiago can be in his same role - Tim's backup.

I don't really see the interest of getting Camby to play him out of position.

pad300
07-07-2012, 08:05 PM

I still think the first thing the Spurs need to do outside of Duncan is bring back Diaw. He fits well and gives the Spurs a pretty damn high ceiling, relatively speaking.

Don't know about Camby << Splitter. Some stats geeks would argue the point extensively:

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids[]=277&player_ids[]=311

Splitter is much more potent offensively, but the way the Spurs have been rolling on O this season, I'm not sure we need a strong offensive presence. Camby is very strong defensively.

When either Duncan or Gino retire, we are done as contenders for a while. I expect them to trade Tony for assets at that point. To do a rebuild to contender status for a franchise that does not attract big free-agents pretty much means following our own model (which has since been validated by the Thunder) - crash and get top level draft picks...Having Splitter and Tony around would just put us in that making up the numbers zone for the playoffs that the Bucks, for example, have got themselves caught in.

If we can get something like Camby, Leuer (or Patterson maybe) and say 2014 and 2016 first round picks for Splitter and Bonner (or Blair), it's a good deal in the short run, and may be a great deal wrt the rebuilding job that starts in 2014-15...

If we pull something like this, the key is what do we do with the MLE and BAE. Kirilenko for 3 years of the MLE and Diaw for the BAE (I really don't think Diaw is going to get good offers at 30, given his performance when shown the money before...) would be great.

DPG21920
07-07-2012, 08:07 PM
I don't really see the interest of getting Camby to play him out of position.

Tim Duncan is a PF :hat

Slippy
07-08-2012, 04:58 AM
Some spurs fans getting excited about grandpa Camby for Splitter. Crazy-talk. Must be starving for a deal. The only way it would happen is if there's a sweetner for the Spurs because the spurs would giving away a pretty good bigman who simply needs more action.

Hopefully the FO arn't that stupid. Actually im pretty sure they aren't.

racm
07-08-2012, 05:37 AM
Tiago has amazing per 36 stats tbh

Only problems are his FT shooting and PT

Isn't he also one of the most efficient roll men?

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 09:39 AM
If we can get something like Camby, Leuer (or Patterson maybe) and say 2014 and 2016 first round picks for Splitter and Bonner (or Blair), it's a good deal in the short run, and may be a great deal wrt the rebuilding job that starts in 2014-15...

Houston is in the business of collecting draft picks to pursue their Howard dreams.

Any S&T involving Camby will not see draft picks leaving Houston. The trade will see draft picks headed to the Rockets.

Slippy
07-08-2012, 10:09 AM

This statement is not accurate, not even close . Pop took him out because of mistakes on the defensive end which made him useless since he sat on the bench. The heat of the moment (WC finals) got to both Pop and Splitter.

Gotta ask is that all you remember of Splitter from the WC finals? Seriously, you are focusing on 1 play and hanging him on it. Splitter wouldn't be the first big to have the master flopper in Fisher win out in the post. How did the rest of his teammates do on switches? You remember what happened the second time he got a post attempt on a switch? Lets not worry about how well he played the first 2 rounds of the plays-offs. Nah, lets just nail Splitter for that one play.

Again, to re-itterate Pop took Splitter out of games because of mistakes on the defensive end (help defense and not doubling on time) which i thought were knee-jerk considering how many the rest of the bigs not named Duncan gotten away with. The WC finals was his first real test in the play-offs. Keep in mind the spurs went away from splitter in the post for most of the second half of the regular season. When he did get the ball there, he looked out of sync. That falls on POP.

To find a parallel with Bonner on regular season form is just laughable. You should be embarrassed at your post.

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Splitter had a fine season and it's reasonable to expect more production with more minutes. The key question with regard to Splitter is whether or not the Spurs regard him as a 10M/yr player beginning in 2013, because with marginal improvement over last season that's a reasonable guess as to what he will get as a free agent next summer.

If not, then trading him this summer makes sense just as trading George Hill last summer was the right move.

JonNOKC
07-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Bottom line in regard to Splitter Pop and FO have to ask themselves two questions

1. Are they willing to give Splitter the 8-11 million a year contract market will likely demand next year depending on his level of play this coming year?

2. Is POP ready to be 100% committed to give him his minutes and allow him to play through his mistakes, and ups and downs

If you can't answer yes to both questions Spurs should try and move Splitter and Houston is a logical partner given the amount of PF on roster

AFBlue
07-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Splitter had a fine season and it's reasonable to expect more production with more minutes. The key question with regard to Splitter is whether or not the Spurs regard him as a 10M/yr player beginning in 2013, because with marginal improvement over last season that's a reasonable guess as to what he will get as a free agent next summer.

If not, then trading him this summer makes sense just as trading George Hill last summer was the right move.

Mel with the solid breakdown as usual.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Houston is in the business of collecting draft picks to pursue their Howard dreams.

Any S&T involving Camby will not see draft picks leaving Houston. The trade will see draft picks headed to the Rockets.

Splitter is a more solid asset to move to Orlando than most first round picks, even most lottery picks.

smaka
07-08-2012, 10:56 AM
I wouldn' give draft picks for this old man, no way. Send a f'n Bonner, Neal, Blair, just leave picks with us.

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Splitter is a more solid asset to move to Orlando than most first round picks, even most lottery picks.

I'm not sure I agree with the lottery pick part, but I should have said more likely to see draft picks headed to Houston. I still don't think the Spurs will get a draft pick from Houston in a Splitter+filler for Camby+PF trade.

DesignatedT
07-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Gotta ask is that all you remember of Splitter from the WC finals? Seriously, you are focusing on 1 play and hanging him on it. Splitter wouldn't be the first big to have the master flopper in Fisher win out in the post. How did the rest of his teammates do on switches? You remember what happened the second time he got a post attempt on a switch? Lets not worry about how well he played the first 2 rounds of the plays-offs. Nah, lets just nail Splitter for that one play.

Again, to re-itterate Pop took Splitter out of games because of mistakes on the defensive end (help defense and not doubling on time) which i thought were knee-jerk considering how many the rest of the bigs not named Duncan gotten away with. The WC finals was his first real test in the play-offs. Keep in mind the spurs went away from splitter in the post for most of the second half of the regular season. When he did get the ball there, he looked out of sync. That falls on POP.

To find a parallel with Bonner on regular season form is just laughable. You should be embarrassed at your post.

Splitter is a pick and roll player. First of all, I like Splitter. Second of all, my intention was not to dog on what Splitter did or didn't do in the WCF (everybody saw it). Me stating that he has no jumpshot(true), he has a very unreliable back to the basket game(true), he struggles against above average big men(true), he is a liability on the free throw line(true), he is a good, not great defender (true), he'll already be 28 next season (true) are all points trying to justify why the Spurs shouldn't and wouldn't give Splitter 8M per year next off-season (the same deal Asik just got).

That reason alone is enough of a reason to look and see if we can get something of value in return now (instead of him signing else where next summer). I am not saying Camby is better than Splitter but I do think Camby can step into Splitters role (15-20 mpg) and we really wouldn't miss a beat in that regard. Of course I would only do this trade if the Spurs can land one of Houston's PFs that could immediately step in and play with Duncan (Patrick Patterson for example)

Redshadows
07-08-2012, 11:19 AM
I like Splitter if he wouldn't get more than $8m per year next season.

ChumpDumper
07-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Maybe the Spurs are/were trying to trade Lorbek and crap for Camby.

TD 21
07-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Some spurs fans getting excited about grandpa Camby for Splitter. Crazy-talk. Must be starving for a deal. The only way it would happen is if there's a sweetner for the Spurs because the spurs would giving away a pretty good bigman who simply needs more action.

Hopefully the FO arn't that stupid. Actually im pretty sure they aren't.

Obviously nobody would be stupid enough to trade Splitter for Camby straight up. The idea would be to shore up the Spurs interior defense/strengthen their rebounding in the interim, pick up at least one decent or better power forward prospect, avoid having to pay Splitter $8 or 9M annually next off season and to get them to take Bonner.

Mel, they probably would be reluctant to surrender any draft picks (1sts, at least). But as I said a few days ago, Splitter would be a nice piece to send to the Magic. The Lakers can offer Bynum, the Hawks, Horford and the Nets, Lopez. So if the Rockets want to be seriously considered, they might want to have a starting center to send back. That would probably appeal to the Magic over one more draft pick, which they'd get in the trade anyway, in addition to players who were recent draft picks.

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Mel, they probably would be reluctant to surrender any draft picks (1sts, at least). But as I said a few days ago, Splitter would be a nice piece to send to the Magic. The Lakers can offer Bynum, the Hawks, Horford and the Nets, Lopez. So if the Rockets want to be seriously considered, they might want to have a starting center to send back. That would probably appeal to the Magic over one more draft pick, which they'd get in the trade anyway, in addition to players who were recent draft picks.

I'd agree with those possibilities, my point was not to expect draft picks back from Houston in any Camby S&T.

Slippy
07-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Splitter is a pick and roll player. First of all, I like Splitter. Second of all, my intention was not to dog on what Splitter did or didn't do in the WCF (everybody saw it). Me stating that he has no jumpshot(true), he has a very unreliable back to the basket game(true), he struggles against above average big men(true), he is a liability on the free throw line(true), he is a good, not great defender (true), he'll already be 28 next season (true) are all points trying to justify why the Spurs shouldn't and wouldn't give Splitter 8M per year next off-season (the same deal Asik just got).

Splitter is more than a roll guy so we disagree there. You used the WC finals as an example which wasn't a true assesment of where he failed. For his postion he's a very good finisher and great passer. That unreliability in the post could change if POP made it a priority in developing Splitter going into next season. That means mins and allowing him to make mistakes.

Im pretty sure we all know how it went last season which was condensed with little practise time. Having a pre-season under his belt could go a long way in helping his cause. I think the Spurs FO and POP owe it to themselfs and the team to see what they can get out Splitter before worrying about what they have to pay him in the future. Whether fans believe or not it's pretty obvious the Spurs are doing eveything possible to Win a title before Tim retires.

For me, from what we saw last season, there's good chance Splitter could indeed prove his worth. Plus quality centers are a rarity these days. What happens when Duncan retires or say his role is reduced next season. Patrick Patterson, Camby , Blair or Diaw wont cut it at the center posi. In any case, with the trade dealine the spurs have half a season to see how things pan out.

That reason alone is enough of a reason to look and see if we can get something of value in return now (instead of him signing else where next summer). I am not saying Camby is better than Splitter but I do think Camby can step into Splitters role (15-20 mpg) and we really wouldn't miss a beat in that regard. Of course I would only do this trade if the Spurs can land one of Houston's PFs that could immediately step in and play with Duncan (Patrick Patterson for example)

Defensivly we would miss a beat and it's not just about the mins. Splitter is a mobile bigman. Duncan and Camby aren't. Our biggest weakness on defense is defending the pick and roll on a switch. What happens when in the play-offs teams the spurs included revert to one Big and 4smalls. That's where quility a center in the mould of Splitter is invaluable who would sub in for Duncan and cover for smalls. Could any of you seriously imagine any other Spurs big, camby or Patterson filling that role?

DesignatedT
07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Splitter is more than a roll guy so we disagree there. You used the WC finals as an example which wasn't a true assesment of where he failed. For his postion he's a very good finisher and great passer. That unreliability in the post could change if POP made it a priority in developing Splitter going into next season. That means mins and allowing him to make mistakes.

First we can agree to disagree. I have seen nothing from Splitter that makes me believe that he is a reliable option to go to down low with the game on the line. While he does have good footwork in the post he struggles to create and finish his own shot ( his little flick shot isn't good) and fouling him proves to be too good of a strategy.

Second, Splitter hasn't shown he is durable enough to handle any more minutes then he is getting. Sure he can play 25 or so minutes a game compared to his usual 20 but he seems to be fragile and hasn't proved that he can handle upwards of 30mpg without getting hurt. Just check the injuries the past 2 years with limited minutes.

Whether fans believe or not it's pretty obvious the Spurs are doing eveything possible to Win a title before Tim retires.

I agree. I see trading Splitter as a "win now" move. Not building for the future.

For me , from what we saw last season , there's good chance Splitter could indeed prove his worth. Plus quality centers are a rarity these days. What happens when Duncan retires or say his role is reduced next season. Patrick Patterson, Camby , Blair or Diaw wont cut it at the center posi. In any case, with the trade dealine the spurs have half a season to see how things pan out.

I don't thnk Splitter is worth 8M+, is this what this whole argument is coming down to? You think he could be worth that $ while I don't? As for what happens when Duncan retires... I still wouldn't want a 30+ year old Splitter making 8M on the roster. It's time to rebuild at that point.

I think a PF-Diaw, Patterson, C- Duncan, Camby can definitely work. It beats Diaw-Bonner, Duncan-Splitter.

Defensivly we would miss a beat and it's not just about the mins.

Camby is a better rebounder and shot blocker so in that area the Spurs would be better defensively.

Splitter is a mobile bigman. Duncan and Camby aren't. Our biggest weakness on defense is defending the pick and roll on a switch. What happens when in the play-offs teams the spurs included revert to one Big and 4smalls.

Sure, Splitter is more mobile of a big man then Duncan and Camby. That's why getting a PF like Patterson would help.

Also, small ball is kind of a moot point. The Spurs won't play two bigs no matter who they have if the other team is playing small.

Could any of you seriously imagine any other Spurs big, camby or Patterson filling that role?

Yes.

Slippy
07-08-2012, 01:36 PM
First we can agree to disagree. I have seen nothing from Splitter that makes me believe that he is a reliable option to go to down low with the game on the line. While he does have good footwork in the post he struggles to create and finish his own shot ( his little flick shot isn't good) and fouling him proves to be too good of a strategy.

We dont know for sure. Spurs went away from Splitter in the post second half of the season. Not because of Splitter's weakness, mainly to take advantage of team's strengths. Diaw, Splitter, Manu and Tony excel on it. You only noticed Fisher flopping in the WC finals so im not surpised you've seen nothing. Look back to Splitter playing the post pre-injury.

Second, Splitter hasn't shown he is durable enough to handle any more minutes then he is getting. Sure he can play 25 or so minutes a game compared to his usual 20 but he seems to be fragile and hasn't proved that he can handle upwards of 30mpg without getting hurt. Just check the injuries the past 2 years with limited minutes.

Don't buy it sorry. His injuries last season would be all considered niggling, nothing of the serious kind. A couple of them were back related. Sitting on the bench can't help. They spurs need to test that durability.

I agree. I see trading Splitter as a "win now" move. Not building for the future.
Really? You already know who the Spurs are getting? as opposed to who we already have. Aside from speculating, all you've done is made it clear how you feel about Spitter and then retracted it. You're are talking about taking key a big out of the picture and replacing him with an old man and another big who had a bad season. Paper wont win shit sorry, good luck with it though

I don't thnk Splitter is worth 8M+, is this what this whole argument is coming down to? You think he could be worth that $ while I don't? As for what happens when Duncan retires... I still wouldn't want a 30+ year old Splitter making 8M on the roster. It's time to rebuild at that point.

Already addressed it. First it's not your money so stop worrying about having to pay it. Second, rebuilding or not, trading a quality center like Splitter, there's always a taker later down the track.

I think a PF-Diaw, Patterson, C- Duncan, Camby can definitely work. It beats Diaw-Bonner, Duncan-Splitter.

You still don't get it . TIMvp addressed it earlier, brunO added to it and i've made it clear. It's a scary though having 2 aging center , moreso in the play-offs.

Duccan and Splitter WTF .. We hardly got to see it. You run with anything.

Camby is a better rebounder and shot blocker so in that area the Spurs would be better defensively.

So is Duncan... still didn't help on the P'n'R for the last 3 seasons in the play-offs. Wont matter when it's 1 big, 4smalls. Spurs will continue to get exposed.

Sure, Splitter is more mobile of a big man then Duncan and Camby. That's why getting a PF like Patterson would help.

Also, small ball is kind of a moot point. The Spurs won't play two bigs no matter who they have if the other team is playing small.

This doesn't make sense. It's the most important point defensivly in the play-offs these days. OKC had a better frontline than the Spurs , yet went away from it as the series moved along. Think about why. It was about taking advantage of that lack of mobility when playing the Spurs small (Duncan). When POP stopped using splitter as a sub for Duncan, they took advantage of the height mis-match with the likes of Diaw and Blair at center. Would of been worse against the HEat who played small every game against the THunder.

Yes.

Only in fantasy NBA.

DesignatedT
07-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Your post has butthurt written all over it so I'm just going to reply to a couple things.

Don't buy it sorry. His injuries last season would be all considered niggling, nothing of the serious kind. A couple of them were back related. Sitting on the bench can't help. They spurs need to test that durability.

Splitter has been hurt nearly every season he's played basketball. Even before he entered the NBA. I am not using this as a reason to trade him but simply stating that he hasn't shown at any time in his career that he can handle playing 30+ minutes a night

Really? You already know who the Spurs are getting? as opposed to who we already have. Aside from speculating, all you've done is made it clear how you feel about Spitter and then retracted it. You're are talking about taking key a big out of the picture and replacing him with an old man and another big who had a bad season. Paper wont win shit sorry, good luck with it though

I was talking about the specific deal I layed out. I wasn't implying that getting rid of Splitter would help the Spurs win now no matter what we got in return.

Already addressed it. First it's not your money so stop worrying about having to pay it. Second, rebuilding or not, trading a quality center like Splitter, there's always a taker later down the track.

lol

Duccan and Splitter WTF .. We hardly got to see it. You run with anything.

I wasn't talking about Duncan and Splitter together. I was talking about the Depth Chart. PFs - Diaw/Bonner, C- Duncan/Splitter.

Pop has already shown he is uncomfortable playing Duncan and Splitter together. All the #s of them playing together show that they are an awkward fit together as well. It's a fairly small sample size but it is what it is.

The inability that Duncan and Splitter will get minutes together definitely contributes to my acceptance of trading Tiago if it brings back players that Pop will play with Duncan.

angelbelow
07-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Watched Camby play a few times last season and thought he was pretty done. He might still be an effective rebounder but will likely be a liability in most categories. At this point in his career, he should be playing the enforcer 5th big role.

timvp
07-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Would you do either of these trades?

1. Bonner and a lottery protected first round pick for Camby

2. Blair, Neal, Byars and a second round pick for Camby

DPG21920
07-08-2012, 03:49 PM
I would do both - with the second being more preferred.

Andthentherewas21
07-08-2012, 03:58 PM
I'd be more hesitant with #2 given Camby's age, it would be good to have Blair as insurance. Besides its going to be another late first rounder, probably a mid-twenties pick which would be worth it to get rid of Bonner

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 04:01 PM

#1 and call it into the league office before Houston changes it's mind.

pad300
07-08-2012, 04:05 PM

I would do both - with the second being more preferred.

Seconded. Try and get a 2nd round pick back in the first trade...

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Marcus Camby had a "very productive" meeting with the Knicks today, source said. Nothing agreed to, as sign/trade options are in play.

In addition to Knicks, Nets and Heat, Clippers have regisered interest in Camby, source said.

https://twitter.com/KBergCBS

elemento
07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I have to agree with Slippy.

Trading Splitter in order to get an over the hill Center who will probably retire in a year or 2 doesn't make any sense. Splitter, even with all this flaws, has more value that that easily.

The trade Tim has made makes more sense and I would be ok with both, especially the 1st one.

Duncan2177
07-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Marcus Camby had a "very productive" meeting with the Knicks today, source said. Nothing agreed to, as sign/trade options are in play.

In addition to Knicks, Nets and Heat, Clippers have regisered interest in Camby, source said.

https://twitter.com/KBergCBS

I wonder why he doesn't mention the spurs?

I would sure like for us to land Camby. He is still very good at what he does, and with our depth, we wouldn't really need much out of him until the playoffs. That is when our lack of interior defense gets exposed.

Bruno
07-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Bonner + 1st for Camby is a bad bad deal.

Throwing away first round pick is a bad move. If Spurs really want to get rid of Bonner, they can just use the amnesty on him.

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Throwing away first round pick is a bad move.

Yes it would be.

The proposed transaction, however, would yield Camby. Not quite throwing the pick away.

Bruno
07-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes it would be.

The proposed transaction, however, would yield Camby. Not quite throwing the pick away.

Camby has almost no trade value. He is an unrestricted free agent that require less than the MLE to sign. Just look at what Clippers got in the Reggie Evans S&T.

Bonner and a first for Camby is throwing a first round pick away.

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Camby has almost no trade value. He is an unrestricted free agent that require less than the MLE to sign. Just look at what Clippers got in the Reggie Evans S&T.

Bonner and a first for Camby is throwing a first round pick away.

I don't agree.

It remains to be established what other teams may be willing to offer to obtain Camby. What the Clippers got for Evans, a much inferior player in any case, is completely irrelevant to the value Houston may be able to garner from trading Camby.

Are the Spurs better offer with Bonner and their 2013 first round pick or are they better off with Marcus Camby? I'd say they're better off with Camby. The willingness to include the pick may be the difference in winning an auction for Camby.

elemento
07-08-2012, 04:56 PM
But the whole purpose of it is keeping the MLE to bring back Diaw and have a front-court rotation of Duncan/Camby/Diaw/Splitter/Blair.

Not only that, but we would also be free of Bonner's 4.5m guaranteed money.

It's not throwing the pick away. I have to disagree with Bruno here.

Bruno
07-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Are the Spurs better offer with Bonner and their 2013 first round pick or are they better off with Marcus Camby? I'd say they're better off with Camby. The willingness to include the pick may be the difference in winning an auction for Camby.

2013 first round pick >>>>>>>>>>>>> 38 years old Camby.

The auction for Camby isn't with Houston, it's with Camby himself and he doesn't care about what Houston could get in a S&T.

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 05:03 PM
2013 first round pick >>>>>>>>>>>>> 38 years old Camby.

The auction for Camby isn't with Houston, it's with Camby himself and he doesn't care about what Houston could get in a S&T.

We disagree on both points.

DesignatedT
07-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I'll stick with Splitter+Bonner for Camby+Patterson. Not sure I'd do either of those trades that timvp listed.

If the Spurs roll the dice with Splitter, that's fine. He's a good player.

If the Spurs want to move him, than I understand why but would like a young player like Patterson in return with Camby.

gambit1990
07-08-2012, 05:10 PM
i'm a little surprised by the amount of willingness to trade neal.

DesignatedT
07-08-2012, 05:12 PM

Last year of his contract, will definitely get some decent offers after the season. Spurs are already stacked at the G positions and now with De Colo looking like a lock to come over it's even more crowded. Plus, Neal is atrocious defensively.

gambit1990
07-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Last year of his contract, will definitely get some decent offers after the season. Spurs are already stacked at the G positions and now with De Colo looking like a lock to come over it's even more crowded. Plus, Neal is atrocious defensively.

true. i'm a big fan of his coldblooded-ness though. and the scoring punch he provides.

i've seen a little bit of de colo, but i'm not sure how i feel about him. i'm sure he can at least play pg better than neal. he's taller too. but he's more of a combo guard than a pure point guard as well, am i correct?

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Either way, the Nets have registered their interest in 38-year-old center Marcus Camby, who postponed his visit with Miami Saturday and had what a source described as a "very productive" meeting with Knicks officials Sunday. Brooklyn is pursuing Camby to be their backup center regardless of whether the starter ends up being Lopez or Howard, sources said.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/19533651/nets-trying-to-assemble-at-least-three-first-round-picks-for-dwight-howard

T Park
07-08-2012, 05:51 PM

A one dimensional shooter who's terrible on defense. Not surprising at all.

DPG21920
07-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Would be nice to hear anything concrete (I guess we already know it will likely be Diaw so nothing to report) on the Spurs.

DesignatedT
07-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
New York and Brooklyn are frontrunners in sign-and-trade talks to acquire Houston's Marcus Camby, league sources tell Y!

Seventyniner
07-08-2012, 06:01 PM
One more thing about trading a 1st round pick to Houston: they just used three 1st-rounders this year and, if the Bonner + 1st for Camby happens, they'd have at least two this coming season (TOR and SA); I don't know if they have their own or have traded for any others.

Anyway, with so many rookies on the roster, the Rockets might be more willing to part with a pick or young player for cheap next summer, lest they run into the roster limit.

timvp
07-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Tbh, I don't understand how there could be a "frontrunner" in a sign-and-trade scenario. Camby basically has to decide which team he wants to play for and then that team has to either work out a sign-and-trade or sign him straight. It sounds like Camby is still deciding.

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Tbh, I don't understand how there could be a "frontrunner" in a sign-and-trade scenario. Camby basically has to decide which team he wants to play for and then that team has to either work out a sign-and-trade or sign him straight. It sounds like Camby is still deciding.

I can imagine that Camby has a salary figure that he would accept. Now it's up to Brooklyn and NY, if those are the "frontrunners", to work a deal acceptable to Houston. If they can't, Camby will move on to other options. He's indicated that he's not interested in playing for the minimum. That's all Brooklyn can offer. Same for NY unless they can get Dallas to agree to a sign and trade for Kidd.

That situation creates leverage for Houston. If Camby was talking to a team that had their MLE available, and was prepared to use it on him, Houston wouldn't have much leverage. In a situation where Camby and the other team can only get what they want with Houston's cooperation, Houston can get a much better price.

pad300
07-08-2012, 07:01 PM
I can imagine that Camby has a salary figure that he would accept. Now it's up to Brooklyn and NY, if those are the "frontrunners", to work a deal acceptable to Houston. If they can't, Camby will move on to other options. He's indicated that he's not interested in playing for the minimum. That's all Brooklyn can offer. Same for NY unless they can get Dallas to agree to a sign and trade for Kidd.

That situation creates leverage for Houston. If Camby was talking to a team that had their MLE available, and was prepared to use it on him, Houston wouldn't have much leverage. In a situation where Camby and the other team can only get what they want with Houston's cooperation, Houston can get a much better price.

Certainly, we should be poking our nose into the situation, if we actually want Camby. If we were considering a Splitter + Bonner trade, we could offer Camby the full MLE (5 Million not 3), and still come out ahead or at least not behind on the salary front
Bonner + Splitter = 3.9 + 3.6 M = 7.5 M > 5.1 Million full MLE + 2.1 Million (Patterson) > 5.1 Million full MLE + .7 Million (Leuer)
I'm pretty sure we could catch Camby's eye pretty quickly with that kind of salary. The question is are the rockets willing to offer fair compensation for splitter in terms of 1 or more draft picks...

timvp
07-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Frank Isola: Knicks met with free agent Marcus Camby today in Houston while the Brooklyn Nets spoke to the veteran center via conference call. about 7 minutes ago

Sounds like the Camby domino might drop soon. Wonder if the Spurs are going to have that meeting with him that was rumored to be happening some time next week.

If they really want Camby, the Spurs could offer money and proximity to Houston -- two things he probably can't turn down. The question is how desperate the Spurs are for Camby.

jesterbobman
07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
I'd be interested in seeing the Rockets thoughts on Lee. With rumours that Boston are frontrunners, the cost probably isn't too high.

Would they be interested in Bonner, Blair, Byars and a 1st for S&T Lee and Camby? Could even add in Neal if they wanted. Camby and Lee for That package would be a good boost defensively, and the Rockets could just pay Bonners salary for a late 1st, which is a good deal for them money wise.

TD 21
07-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Sounds like the Camby domino might drop soon. Wonder if the Spurs are going to have that meeting with him that was rumored to be happening some time next week.

If they really want Camby, the Spurs could offer money and proximity to Houston -- two things he probably can't turn down. The question is how desperate the Spurs are for Camby.

For a guy who supposedly wants to start, he'd be a damn fool to go to either of those teams. If it's the Knicks, he'll get roughly 15 mpg; if it's the Nets and they keep Lopez, he'll get roughly 13 mpg; if it's the Nets and they acquire Howard, he'll get roughly 10 mpg. With the Spurs, he'd get roughly 20 mpg. And unless the Nets land Howard, he'd be playing on by far the best team of the three, close to his off season home and making more money. The fact that he hasn't jumped at the chance to join the Spurs tells us everything we need to know.

DPG21920
07-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Why are you blaming Camby? For all we know, Spurs have not made him a priority at all.

Slippy
07-08-2012, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=DesignatedT;6014420]

Splitter has been hurt nearly every season he's played basketball. Even before he entered the NBA. I am not using this as a reason to trade him but simply stating that he hasn't shown at any time in his career that he can handle playing 30+ minutes a night

it is a concern . Playing 59 games, in a lockout shortened season with no proper training camp and a really tight schedule is a good test of that durability though.In fact it's a good way to get injured. NBA players were falling over with all sorts of serious injuries. Spitter's were minor in comparison. Last season was his first real test of playing meanningful mins regularly. I think he deserves a pass. I guess this is part of that evaluation process of Splitter for the FO and coach POP going into next season.

I wasn't talking about Duncan and Splitter together. I was talking about the Depth Chart. PFs - Diaw/Bonner, C- Duncan/Splitter.

Pop has already shown he is uncomfortable playing Duncan and Splitter together. All the #s of them playing together show that they are an awkward fit together as well. It's a fairly small sample size but it is what it is.

The inability that Duncan and Splitter will get minutes together definitely contributes to my acceptance of trading Tiago if it brings back players that Pop will play with Duncan.

There was an occasion in the WC finals that POP tried to use them together. It had Tiago commit one of those defensive mistakes i mentioned earlier. It resulted in a Tiago benching on the instant. My first reaction was POP you hardly tried them during the season. He did the same last play-offs with Tiago. Wanting to use them together at the most important part of the season(play-offs)says to me the willingness to use the combo is still there. The mistake has always been on POP for not getting them familiar with each other during the season. To be fair to POP, the shortened season didn't help matters.

TIago gettting his first full traiining camp will certainly help this situation. Pop's going to have all the practise time in the world, meaningless pre-season games plus a full spaced out season to intergrate them. It might come at the expense of a few losses but even coach know you gotta learn the hard way.

As i've always stated, if POP continues to use Tiago purely as a back-up to Tim and nothing more moving forward. If there is no increase in mins and a loosening of that leash in developing Tiago. Then the Spurs should look into trading him for the right deal. That is the most pressing question right now going into next season.

TD 21
07-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Why are you blaming Camby? For all we know, Spurs have not made him a priority at all.

There's been too many rumors to not buy that they're interested. Plus, they've given us no indication, both through action or words, that they view Splitter as a $8-9M player annually and that's what he's going to be a season from now, most likely. You don't have to be a mathematician to put two and two together.

I'm "blaming Camby", because I'm sick and tired of all of these veterans around the league who claim to have a lot of respect for the Spurs, yet when they get the chance to sign with them, they spurn them and a lot of the time, it's in inexplicable fashion. Howard, Hill, Martin and Yi, are all relatively recent examples. The Spurs reportedly offered equal or better money in all cases, clearly had more playing time available and obviously had a better team than the ones those players ultimately joined. They can offer everything players, especially veteran ones, claim to want, yet they can't seem to attract guys who have been in the league and had success. Other than Diaw, for obvious reasons.

Duncan2177
07-08-2012, 08:34 PM
There's been too many rumors to not buy that they're interested. Plus, they've given us no indication, both through action or words, that they view Splitter as a $8-9M player annually and that's what he's going to be a season from now, most likely. You don't have to be a mathematician to put two and two together.

I'm "blaming Camby", because I'm sick and tired of all of these veterans around the league who claim to have a lot of respect for the Spurs, yet when they get the chance to sign with them, they spurn them and a lot of the time, it's in inexplicable fashion. Howard, Hill, Martin and Yi, are all relatively recent examples. The Spurs reportedly offered equal or better money in all cases, clearly had more playing time available and obviously had a better team than the ones those players ultimately joined. They can offer everything players, especially veteran ones, claim to want, yet they can't seem to attract guys who have been in the league and had success. Other than Diaw, for obvious reasons.
I agree I don't get some of these players that praise the spurs then they spurn them, It just shows how fake and phony they really are.

AFBlue
07-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Camby has never been the unselfish veteran who takes less money or a smaller role for a chance to win. Don't know why Spurs fan thought he'd be willing to join the Spurs when he's always been a big market or big money guy.

therealtruth
07-08-2012, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE]

it is a concern . Playing 59 games, in a lockout shortened season with no proper training camp and a really tight schedule is a good test of that durability though.In fact it's a good way to get injured. NBA players were falling over with all sorts of serious injuries. Spitter's were minor in comparison. Last season was his first real test of playing meanningful mins regularly. I think he deserves a pass. I guess this is part of that evaluation process of Splitter for the FO and coach POP going into next season.

There was an occasion in the WC finals that POP tried to use them together. It had Tiago commit one of those defensive mistakes i mentioned earlier. It resulted in a Tiago benching on the instant. My first reaction was POP you hardly tried them during the season. He did the same last play-offs with Tiago. Wanting to use them together at the most important part of the season(play-offs)says to me the willingness to use the combo is still there. The mistake has always been on POP for not getting them familiar with each other during the season. To be fair to POP, the shortened season didn't help matters.

TIago gettting his first full traiining camp will certainly help this situation. Pop's going to have all the practise time in the world, meaningless pre-season games plus a full spaced out season to intergrate them. It might come at the expense of a few losses but even coach know you gotta learn the hard way.

As i've always stated, if POP continues to use Tiago purely as a back-up to Tim and nothing more moving forward. If there is no increase in mins and a loosening of that leash in developing Tiago. Then the Spurs should look into trading him for the right deal. That is the most pressing question right now going into next season.

They actually played pretty well together in the Clippers series before Pop went away from him in favor of Bonner against the Thunder.

Spurs da champs
07-09-2012, 12:17 AM

Don't forget Caron Butler.

K-State Spur
07-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Yes it would be.

It would be if Camby is toast. For a guy who, at this juncture, would be counted on solely as a defensive-minded 5, the Rockets gave up 1.07 points per possession when he was on the floor last year - that was the worst of all their regular rotation players.

He's always been willing to leave his own man in search of the weak side blocked shot, but as he's getting old, he's having to do it earlier and earlier. And he doesn't defend the PnR any better than Duncan at this point either.

Mel_13
07-09-2012, 08:14 AM
It would be if Camby is toast.

Seems that quite a few NBA teams believe that he is not toast.

racm
07-09-2012, 08:15 AM
It would be if Camby is toast. For a guy who, at this juncture, would be counted on solely as a defensive-minded 5, the Rockets gave up 1.07 points per possession when he was on the floor last year - that was the worst of all their regular rotation players.

He's always been willing to leave his own man in search of the weak side blocked shot, but as he's getting old, he's having to do it earlier and earlier. And he doesn't defend the PnR any better than Duncan at this point either.

So you mean to say he's an older version of Serge Ibaka?

Drom John
07-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Would you trade the rights to Branden Dawson for Camby?
IOW, would you trade a 2013 1st round pick for Camby?

I would make that trade and throw in a 5th big, be that Blair or Bonner.
Still, I wanted Sacre at 59. Sacre > Stiemsma.

K-State Spur
07-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Seems that quite a few NBA teams believe that he is not toast.

NBA general managers chasing an aging former big name isn't exactly rock solid evidence that the player still has something left in the tank. Especially when those teams are NY (who paid max money to Amare when there is virtually no chance his knees survive that deal) and MIA (who is so stacked at other positions, they can afford to keep plugging away at various options hoping for an upgrade to their currently awful 5 spot).

That said, I'm not saying he is for a fact done. But there is mounting statistical and visual evidence that this may be the case.

K-State Spur
07-09-2012, 09:47 AM
So you mean to say he's an older version of Serge Ibaka?

If the player can rack up enough shots, there is still value in the undisciplined weak side shot blocker. Not DPOY value, but value.

4 to 5 blocks per 36 minutes (such as Ibaka now or Camby 5-6 years ago) is worth putting up with a few errors in staying home.

However, when that number has fallen to 2 blocks per 36, and there is statistical evidence that Houston was worse defensively per possession with Camby on the floor than they were with him on the bench, then that should raise some major red flags.

Mel_13
07-09-2012, 09:50 AM
NBA general managers chasing an aging former big name isn't exactly rock solid evidence that the player still has something left in the tank.

I didn't say it was, but it when the teams interested include the Spurs and the team run by Pat Riley, it's a good indicator.

One thing is certain. The Spurs 2013 first round pick can't do anything to help them in 2012-13 unless it is traded. Now, of course, I'm not advocating tossing it away recklessly. IMO, acquiring Marcus Camby would be well worth giving up a protected 1st round pick in 2013.

K-State Spur
07-09-2012, 09:58 AM
One thing is certain. The Spurs 2013 first round pick can't do anything to help them in 2012-13 unless it is traded. Now, of course, I'm not advocating tossing it away recklessly. IMO, acquiring Marcus Camby would be well worth giving up a protected 1st round pick in 2013.

Agree with that - but if you give it up for Camby, then you don't have it to deal for somebody else.

Pop's smarter than me, but he's also not above latching on to a declining veteran. It's been 3 years since a team was better defensively with Camby on the floor than with him on the bench. That's not an end-all-be-all stat, but it scares me quite a bit if we give anything of value for him (including cap space).

Mel_13
07-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Agree with that - but if you give it up for Camby, then you don't have it to deal for somebody else.

Pop's smarter than me, but he's also not above latching on to a declining veteran. It's been 3 years since a team was better defensively with Camby on the floor than with him on the bench. That's not an end-all-be-all stat, but it scares me quite a bit if we give anything of value for him (including cap space).

And that's why they pay those guys in the FO, to judge the value of the things like future first round picks. The pick has some future value. I believe Camby is worth more than what the pick can be used for in the 2013 draft. Whether Camby is worth more than some other player they may acquire with that pick is unknown.

I understand the risks associated with acquiring Camby, but the any transaction to improve the team is going to come with some associated risk.

CGD
07-09-2012, 10:18 AM
I didn't say it was, but it when the teams interested include the Spurs and the team run by Pat Riley, it's a good indicator.

Are we even able to trade away the 2013 pick since we traded away the 2012 pick?

K-State Spur
07-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Risks are one thing - but what's the upside?

There hasn't been any since he was 36, so to expecting it to show up at 39 seems desperate. Which is an emotion that this team is pretty good at avoiding, but occasionally lucks away from. We caught a break when Caron Butler chose the Clips last year. I think it would be a similar break (although I don't have a good feel for how hard we're even pushing with Camby) if Marcus signs elsewhere.

Mel_13
07-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Risks are one thing - but what's the upside?

I get it. You don't believe that Camby is worth the risk.

We disagree.

Mel_13
07-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Are we even able to trade away the 2013 pick since we traded away the 2012 pick?

Yes. The rule prohibits trading two consecutive future first round picks.

Hoops Czar
07-09-2012, 10:56 AM
I get it. You don't believe that Camby is worth the risk.

We disagree.

I'd be willing to offer Camby a one year deal but anything more than that would be pushing the envelope.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-09-2012, 12:02 PM
I only would want Camby in a sign & trade packaged with Lee or Patterson & a pick. hope they are not planning on using the MLE on him.

TD 21
07-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Don't forget Caron Butler.

I didn't; I purposely left him out. The Clippers offered more money than the Spurs could, had an appealing situation of their own and had a gaping hole at small forward, so that one made sense.

timvp
07-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Marcus Camby ‏@MarcusCamby23
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....

:lol Who knew Camby's destination would be such a followed storyline coming into this offseason.

Mel_13
07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Right now it appears that the Camby situation will be resolved without a meeting with the Spurs.

timvp
07-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
A deal for Camby is possible, maybe even probable "in next 24 hours." Rockets would get back pieces, but won't be for all 4 Knicks offered.

1h Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
There are reports that Marcus Camby has agreed to go to NY in S&T. Was just told "He has not made a decision."

It sounds like it's going to be the Knicks but I still think the Spurs can get him if they want him. I'm glad that it'll probably be over soon.

tdunk21
07-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Marcus Camby has reached agreement on a deal with the Knicks, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Houston and New York agreed on a sign-and-trade deal sending Douglas, Harrelson, Jordan to Rockets for picks, sources said.

kolko
07-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Marcus Camby has reached agreement on a deal with the Knicks, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Houston and New York agreed on a sign-and-trade deal sending Douglas, Harrelson, Jordan to Rockets for picks, sources said.

ace3g
07-09-2012, 06:47 PM
per Woj

The Rockets will get the Knicks' second round picks in 2014 and 2015, source tells Y! The Knicks will pay Toney Douglas' salary in Houston.

07-09-2012, 06:50 PM
:lol spurs

Duncan2177
07-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Well that's fucken great.:bang

ace3g
07-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Camby has agreed to a three year, $13.2 million deal with the Knicks, source tells Y! The final year includes a partial guarantee.

Bruno
07-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Great news. :tu
I didn't want him.

CGD
07-09-2012, 06:56 PM
ok, thats done!

timtonymanu
07-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Well, that's one target out of the way.

Duncan2177
07-09-2012, 06:58 PM
I wonder who's next?

CGD
07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
I wonder who's next?
This forum is gonna go on Kaman watch soon, especially now that Pacers look like they are gonna sign Hibberts.

timvp
07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Thankfully that's over. $13.2 million, even with a partial guarantee, is pretty ludicrous. I would have been fine with something like $7 million over two years but that's about as high as the Spurs should have gone.

Now hopefully the Spurs move on to Diaw and possibly see if the ink is dry on Lorbek's contract.

timvp
07-09-2012, 07:09 PM
David Aldridge: Camby's three-year, $13M deal is partially guaranteed for third year, per source, so will either be two years/$10M or three/$13M.

Wow. $10M for two years? Uh, yeah, no the Spurs shouldn't have matched that.

DesignatedT
07-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Way to expensive. No way Spurs would have payed him that.

benefactor
07-09-2012, 07:15 PM
:lol Knicks
:lol 10 million for old man Camby
:lol won't play 35 games over that two year span

DPG21920
07-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Well, the question is Diaw the only option for the MLE and is he worth having around for several years?

DesignatedT
07-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Well, the question is Diaw the only option for the MLE and is he worth having around for several years?

What do you think? Obviously if it's Diaw or nothing I'd want Diaw but do you think it's smart to sign him to the full MLE?

timvp
07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Is it a coincidence that the Spurs signed Green directly after Camby decided to sign with the Knicks? Probably not.

CGD
07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Is it a coincidence that the Spurs signed Green directly after Camby decided to sign with the Knicks? Probably not.

Maybe if Green contract was (1) dependent on the pool of money from the MLE (but its not); or (2) there was a framework for a S&T?

Redshadows
07-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Camby is too expensive considering his age.

racm
07-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I think so - but I think the FO was going for bringing back the rotation players.

DPG21920
07-09-2012, 08:09 PM
What do you think? Obviously if it's Diaw or nothing I'd want Diaw but do you think it's smart to sign him to the full MLE?

You can't throw away the next two years (assuming Tim signs for that long + the fact they got to the WCF and aren't really losing anyone of note), but I am weary of giving Diaw 4 years (I don't care about the market price for bigs). Tough call - depends on 1) Do the Spurs think that with training camp and a full season, this team has more headroom - because if not, if you don't think you can beat LA/OKC...it might be hard to justify giving him the full MLE.

If it's 3 years or less for Diaw, I think it's automatic (if it's the MLE salary), if it's four years, I think you have to go another direction (get someone different/younger) or go cheaper and keep your cap space.

loveforthegame
07-09-2012, 08:12 PM
I guess we'll find out the backup plan from the Spurs soon.

SenorSpur
07-09-2012, 10:09 PM

Camby has agreed to a three year, $13.2 million deal with the Knicks, source tells Y! The final year includes a partial guarantee.

Good. Keeps him away from the Spurs - not that they could've afforded him at the price.

THat's too much damn money for an end-of-career big, who tends to be a bit injury prone, as older players often are.

lowdown
07-09-2012, 11:35 PM
:clap

Mel_13
07-09-2012, 11:36 PM
3yrs/13M? That's insane.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Camby and Garnett's contacts tell me this league's GMs feel the crop of defensive big men sucks.

What the hell will it take for those defensive youngins to crop up like they were in the 90s