PDA

View Full Version : What would you have Leonard work on during the off-season?

dylankerouac
06-07-2012, 01:07 PM
If you could choose one thing that he could improve on during the summer to make him more dangerous, offensively or defensively.

I guess I would improve his driving and finishing ability. He could draw more fouls with this in his second season.

Beaverfuzz
06-07-2012, 01:08 PM
defense.

DeadlyDynasty
06-07-2012, 01:10 PM
haircut

Man In Black
06-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Decision Making. He already has those skills. He just needs to know that it's okay to not defer if you've got an open shot or a lane to drive.

On Defense, he needs to get a little more "Bruce" in his game. An attitude. It's okay to be emotionless like the Terminator but even the Terminator had nasty in his arsenal.
Kawhi...say it...."I'll be back."

tesseractive
06-07-2012, 01:13 PM
defense.

This.

From there, keep improving his shot, so that he can hopefully make it from more spots on the floor, and his passing, so he can keep improving at keeping the ball moving in the offense.

Driving, finishing, ball handling, even some post moves would all be nice, but he should focus on maximizing the most important parts of his current game before trying to expand his game to things he doesn't do much of right now.

Poolboy5623
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
He literally needs to work on EVERYTHING and I include beefing up his body...

Poolboy5623
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
He is going to be all they have...soon...being able to score points for himself would be nice.

Jumi
06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Decision Making. He already has those skills. He just needs to know that it's okay to not defer if you've got an open shot or a lane to drive.

On Defense, he needs to get a little more "Bruce" in his game. An attitude. It's okay to be emotionless like the Terminator but even the Terminator had nasty in his arsenal.
Kawhi...say it...."I'll be back."

This
I'm offically done with this timid behavior exhibited by the Spurs! They should've been proud of their winning streak and said so. They should've taken the fight to OKC. We've kicked ass for two years in a row and don't have shit to show for it! The stars did their jobs but the lack of fight from the other guys was disgusting! Fuck it, I'll lead the charge!

To all you fair weathered fans of other teams talking shit on SpursTalk, if your not a Thunder fan, my team could beat your teams ass! I'd wager to bet that we dogged that ass by 20 in the regular season at least once! We have the fourth most titles in this bitch!! Sustained excellence unmatched in the Duncan Era! We lost last night, but you can bet your mother, we'll be back next year.........putting a whooping on yo team's ass!!

:flag:

Spurs da champs
06-07-2012, 01:21 PM
He literally needs to work on EVERYTHING and I include beefing up his body...

coyotes_geek
06-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Mid range game. He doesn't have a very quick release on his 3pt shot, so it's easier for defenders to close out on him. If he could put the ball on the floor for a dribble or two to free himself up for a mid range jumper that would really open up his offensive opportunities.

SanAntonioSpurs23
06-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Who gives a fuck

AFBlue
06-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Honestly, there's not one targeted area where he showed a consistent deficiency. He could probably work on finishing at the rim and on catch-and-shoot off ball screens, but I don't know how much he would do those in the Spurs' regular sets.

I think the best thing he can learn is defensive physicality...how to be aggressive and create contact without fouling. I though Stephen Jackson rubbed off on him in that regard during the playoffs, but I would love to see more development along that line in the future. Kawai has great defensive potential, and I think he can continue to unlock it.

stxspurs
06-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Facial expressions

Richie
06-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Defence is what we need more than anything, so if I had to have him work on just one thing, it would be that.

If he could become adept at scoring off the dribble when he gets closed out hard on 3s it would give his offensive game a big lift

TheProfessor
06-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Mid-range game and defensive footwork/positioning.

TimmehC
06-07-2012, 02:20 PM
I'd call up Bruce Bowen and find out if he's willing to tutor Kawhi in the ways of pestering, smothering defense. And maybe have one of the assistant coaches (Jacque Vaughn?) help him with his ballhandling.

FromWayDowntown
06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
He's a relatively poor finisher in transition. If he can turn the turnovers he creates up top into almost certain points in transition, it will make a difference. Can't change -- at least not much -- that he's not blessed with tremendous straight-line speed, but finding some clever ways to finish in 1-on-1 situations would help him to find a few more easy points.

maverick1948
06-07-2012, 02:57 PM
I would like to see something that we cant control happen. Kawhi grow 3" taller. At 6'7, he is a great small forward, but at 6'10, damn if he could make another Timmy.

Since we cant control that, I would like to see him work on his screen and roll game. Passing out of the corner and reading double teams when to go or not go for one on D and what to do on offense when teammate is doubled.

I want him to be a defender like Bruce, but I dont want to see his offensive talent lost in the process.

etbluffer
06-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Mid range game. He doesn't have a very quick release on his 3pt shot, so it's easier for defenders to close out on him. If he could put the ball on the floor for a dribble or two to free himself up for a mid range jumper that would really open up his offensive opportunities.

This is absolutely what I was thinking. Defense comes naturally, three point shot improved and he is not afraid to try to finish in anyone... But a mid range jumpshot would be incredible!:downspin:

Poolboy5623
06-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Honestly, there's not one targeted area where he showed a consistent deficiency. He could probably work on finishing at the rim and on catch-and-shoot off ball screens, but I don't know how much he would do those in the Spurs' regular sets.

I think the best thing he can learn is defensive physicality...how to be aggressive and create contact without fouling. I though Stephen Jackson rubbed off on him in that regard during the playoffs, but I would love to see more development along that line in the future. Kawai has great defensive potential, and I think he can continue to unlock it.

hes good at a lot of things but GREAT at NOTHING...he needs to work on everything and the rest will take care of itself.

sananspursfan21
06-07-2012, 04:20 PM
His math skills. His former professor said he struggled with factoring. Im sure you meant basketball wise; i racked my brain and i got nothin

angelbelow
06-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Public speaking, various shooting drills, dribble exercises, defense, and watch a lot of film.

mavs>spurs
06-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Work on become more polished all around offensively..shooting off the dribble and midrange as many have pointed out especially. Work on his handles and passing, just become a more all around offensive threat. If he can do this while maintaining the same level of defensive effort, he'll be a borderline all star in a couple of years. As long as he doesn't go the way of josh howard and stop giving effort defensively and stop doing the dirty work once he develops an offensive game.

slick'81
06-07-2012, 04:40 PM
just gottta be more consistent on that 3,too many times he hesitated in that corner.Obviously a midrange pull up off the drive would be nice

his defense and finishing around the rim r allready strong

z0sa
06-07-2012, 04:42 PM
All around offense. His defense is already great and defense itself is more based on intangibles like a good work ethic and high IQ than athleticism anyway. I'd like to see him work on his mid-range jumper, his passing out of traffic, and his dribbling.

SamoanTD
06-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Explosiveness and lateral quickness.

ginobili fan
06-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Mid-range game and defensive footwork/positioning.

this

skulls138
06-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Keep working on threes and add something he can use to fake off those threes like a runner or layup or a closer jumper or drive and kick. Other than that get as strong and athletic as he can.

dylankerouac
06-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Lots of great comments, I hope he continues to work hard this summer.

Spurs4#5
06-07-2012, 08:46 PM
His post game

Russ
06-07-2012, 08:49 PM
How to order meals on the road, as they say about the can't-miss baseball phenoms.

Leetonidas
06-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Needs a spin move when he gets chased off the corner 3 and drives down the baseline

Beanzamillion21
06-07-2012, 09:11 PM
He is going to be all they have...soon...being able to score points for himself would be nice.

agreed.

MI21
06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Smiling.

DMX7
06-07-2012, 10:29 PM
He needs to learn how to get clubbed in the head by Westbrook and still hold on to the ball.

cd98
06-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Easy. Ball handling and finishing off the dribble.

Corner three.

Team defense.

Bruce Bowen head games.

Post game.

eyeh8u
06-07-2012, 11:03 PM
everything, he is raw, he can improve everywhere. Also have stephen jackson mentor him for toughness. im tired of this stoic defender bullshit.

Namundy
06-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Lateral quickness.

KDtrey5
06-07-2012, 11:57 PM
If you could choose one thing that he could improve on during the summer to make him more dangerous, offensively or defensively.

I guess I would improve his driving and finishing ability. He could draw more fouls with this in his second season.

Look at the tapes between the Spurs and Thunder series to see why Durant was scoring at will against him:lol

mytespurs
06-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Look at the tapes between the Spurs and Thunder series to see why Durant was scoring at will against him:lol

U have a great team & enjoy the the well deserved accolades but stay classy because your team hasn't claimed the top prize just yet

100%duncan
06-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Off the dribble jumper.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-08-2012, 12:46 AM
To me, he was at least good in everything but one category, that is ball handling. I wouldn't say his ball handling is poor, but in no way is it good. He needs to work on ball handling. With his giant hands, it shouldn't be too hard for him. Hopefully he works his butt off, I thin we'll see a real emergence from next year from a role player to more of a leader. I can't wait to see how his future will turn out!

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-08-2012, 12:47 AM

Considering your team is doing its best to copy the Spurs organization, you should try showing a little respect to the team. Every great run ends, but if OKC ends the same way SA is right now, your team will end up being very very happy. Try showing a little respect on quite being a complete tool. I know it's natural for Sooner fans to be tools (Ducks and Longhorn fans both know), but try to fight it anyways.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Work on become more polished all around offensively..shooting off the dribble and midrange as many have pointed out especially. Work on his handles and passing, just become a more all around offensive threat. If he can do this while maintaining the same level of defensive effort, he'll be a borderline all star in a couple of years. As long as he doesn't go the way of josh howard and stop giving effort defensively and stop doing the dirty work once he develops an offensive game.

Very much this. Blair is another example of a player who used to rebound like a machine and do a lot of dirty work , but then suddenly decided he has to be a scorer and forgot about everything else. Thankfully, Kawhi's work ethic seems to be great, so I'm optimistic. I'd like to see him attack the rim more, try improving his transition game and develop a floater for when he's chased off the 3 point spots - he's shown a little of that already.

blkroadrunners
06-09-2012, 03:25 AM
I was gonna create a new thread about Kawhi, but I'll just post it here.

What do you all think Kawhi's ceiling is? Personally, I think at best he'll be a 16 ppg and 8 rpg type of player w/ similiarities that of Gerald Wallace. This off-season is going to be pivotal for his improvement if the Spurs want to remain top tier for a championship run next year, imo. I agree with the above posters on that he's going to have to work more on his mid-range game and defense some.

He should propel himself into becoming a double digit scorer for 2013 that opposing teams have to respect.

Slippy
06-09-2012, 03:39 AM
To me, he was at least good in everything but one category, that is ball handling. I wouldn't say his ball handling is poor, but in no way is it good. He needs to work on ball handling. With his giant hands, it shouldn't be too hard for him. Hopefully he works his butt off, I thin we'll see a real emergence from next year from a role player to more of a leader. I can't wait to see how his future will turn out!

yah that was my initial thought .. dribbling and ball control. Also passing out on the drive and in transition.

TDMVPDPOY
06-09-2012, 03:51 AM
I was gonna create a new thread about Kawhi, but I'll just post it here.

What do you all think Kawhi's ceiling is? Personally, I think at best he'll be a 16 ppg and 8 rpg type of player w/ similiarities that of Gerald Wallace. This off-season is going to be pivotal for his improvement if the Spurs want to remain top tier for a championship run next year, imo. I agree with the above posters on that he's going to have to work more on his mid-range game and defense some.

He should propel himself into becoming a double digit scorer for 2013 that opposing teams have to respect.

how is he going to be a double digit scorer when his behind 3 players gettin by on reputation, then you have the chuckfest of NEAL on the bench....

blkroadrunners
06-09-2012, 08:11 AM
how is he going to be a double digit scorer when his behind 3 players gettin by on reputation, then you have the chuckfest of NEAL on the bench....

Double digit scorer as in 10-11 ppg for his 2nd year

Paranoid Pop
06-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Ball handling and passing.