06-07-2012, 02:28 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_chris_kaman.jpg
Born: Apr 28, 1982
Height: 7-0 / 2.13
Weight: 265 lbs. / 120.2 kg.
Prior to NBA / Country:
Central Michigan / USA
Years Pro: 8

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_kaman/career_stats.html)

lmbebo
06-20-2012, 03:14 PM
I'll bump this. We had intrest in him last year at the beginning of the season.

If he came for the right price or a S&T, I think he'd be an upgrade.

Not sure where he ends up or what his market is these days.

TD 21
06-20-2012, 04:06 PM
The Spurs have the third best center in the league, the best backup center in the league and may have another quality center waiting in the wings and you want them to pursue an aging, injury prone, relatively immobile, non athletic, plodding center -- who's going to command well in excess of the MLE, no less --, when their biggest need is an athletic, mobile power forward? Keep in mind, they don't have a great deal of financial flexibility either.

elemento
06-20-2012, 04:07 PM
We don't need a 3rd Center.

We need a capable PF to pair with TD.

lmbebo
06-20-2012, 04:12 PM
A guy who is a vet, a previous 20/10 guy. Right price = vet min or trade/dumping Bonner for him.

He's a guy who can spell Duncan as he will be turning 37 next year I believe. Gives us some size in the middle.

Doesn't solve all our problems, but he helps address them. Spurs haven't had an interior defensive presence since Horry in 07. Don't expect spurs to get that person immediatly. Even if we draft someone, they most likely won't make a huge impact.

We could do far worse than Kaman.

Duncan2177
06-20-2012, 04:58 PM
I rather the spurs have Kaman instead of Bonner and Blair.

Seventyniner
06-20-2012, 06:07 PM
I rather the spurs have Kaman instead of Bonner and Blair.

Seriously, Kaman probably wouldn't defend the PnR any better than Bonner or Blair, and that's what the Spurs need from a big man right now. Pass.

JonNOKC
06-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Be a good get if we find a way to add an athletic PF by trade or draft....We need a guy who can roam with KD outside.......That said he would take alot of pressure of TD as far as inside scoring goes and is a good defender....I like him and J Hill with a LLE for Ebanks all would be good moves for SA.

Sign Kaman, and Ebanks, Move Splitter for the 10 or 11 pick and get Henson or Lamb spurs would be in good shape.

Is this guy for real?? too much playstation? - there is something called the CBA and the fact that most NBA GMs are at least marginally competent

Andthentherewas21
06-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Kaman would be a good pickup provided Splitter was on the way out (can't really justify having him if you've got both Duncan and Splitter on the roster). That being said, hes a 7 footer so he will be overpaid and chances are he would be out of the Spurs comfort and price range for him.

Duncan2177
06-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Have you ever watched any team but SA? My family has 3 members who work in the FO of an NBA team. I am a scout for VCU and former player D1. I dont own a playstation.

Spurs need post scoring and defense Kaman would take care of that. We also need a guy who can defend KD on the wing. Ebanks is very young and will be a very good defender in our system when we go small. LA is likely not to match any offer for him. KL and EBANKS on the front line with TD or Kaman give us a very good defense.

Splitter is on the block and SA has shopped him and Blair. That said a signing of Kaman and dealing Splitter for a lotto pick where they draft a SG or Henson who Pops loves would be great moves.

Your a dumb ass, if you want the Spurs to win another ring in the next year, this offseason major move is needed and the FO knows it. We cant defend the paint, and Manu and TP struggle to defend.....you must get a shot blocker or better wing defenders if you want to have a shot next year.
:tu

Wild Cobra Kai
06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Ebanks is fucking horrible. LA is a desert of young player talent to develop and he still could barely see the floor.

Ditty
06-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Have you ever watched any team but SA? My family has 3 members who work in the FO of an NBA team. I am a scout for VCU and former player D1. I dont own a playstation.

Spurs need post scoring and defense Kaman would take care of that. We also need a guy who can defend KD on the wing. Ebanks is very young and will be a very good defender in our system when we go small. LA is likely not to match any offer for him. KL and EBANKS on the front line with TD or Kaman give us a very good defense.

Splitter is on the block and SA has shopped him and Blair. That said a signing of Kaman and dealing Splitter for a lotto pick where they draft a SG or Henson who Pops loves would be great moves.

Your a dumb ass, if you want the Spurs to win another ring in the next year, this offseason major move is needed and the FO knows it. We cant defend the paint, and Manu and TP struggle to defend.....you must get a shot blocker or better wing defenders if you want to have a shot next year.

Well it seems other teams executives have been telling your family nothing but bullshit, because everyone of your predictions have always been horribly wrong in the past.

Spurs4#5
06-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Well it seems other teams executives have been telling your family nothing but bullshit, because everyone of your predictions have always been horribly wrong in the past.
lol

Plumblbw
06-21-2012, 07:05 AM
The problem with Kaman (speaking hypothetically ignoring money for a moment) is he would have to play behind Duncan. Would he be willing to take a bench role? If you've watched Kaman play he has no lateral speed and whilst pairing him with Duncan would be good offensively (they can both score in the post and hit the mid-range jumpshot) we would be no better defending the pick n' roll.

I'm more for finding this mystery athletic PF with the draft pick we don't have to stick next to TD.

I don't know Texas No Step's history (And btw No Step I'm not cussing you I'm just curious), but reading this thread it seems people think his inside sources are Mickey Mouse?

K-State Spur
06-21-2012, 08:02 AM

Let me pick up those credentials you just dropped.

FWIW, while he was attacking you, being a scout isn't particularly relevant to the point he was making (CBA knowledge). You may be able to evaluate talent, but that doesn't mean you know the dynamics of the salary structure. It's like saying "I know all about medicine, I went to law school."

That doesn't mean you don't know the CBA, it just means that you dropped irrelevant credentials.

mountainballer
06-21-2012, 08:36 AM
he isn't a scout, nor does he have any relations with any FO. he usually comes up with that BS when he tries to back up some total retarded claims and some guys call it what it is. 3 family members is new. usually it's a good friend who works in the FO.
btw. this is the same "scout" who claimed Ryan Richards is better than Odom and Bosh and that Andray Blatche would deliver a championship ring, if the Spurs traded for him.

benefactor
06-21-2012, 10:15 AM
My favorite is the "Leonard's hands are too big for him ever to be a good shooter."

Hit the bulls-eye on that one tbh.

Plumblbw
06-21-2012, 10:41 AM
My favorite is the "Leonard's hands are too big for him ever to be a good shooter."

Hit the bulls-eye on that one tbh.

Cheers Benefactor (and Mountain Baller). I could of got suckered in come draft time. For example:

Me to my wife - Love, apparently a deal is going down where we're getting the number 1 pick. This guy 2 step has got a sniff from an "inside source" and it's 95% certain to happen. OMG, we're going to have a Davis & Duncan front court.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and not just jump on the bandwagon, but it seems you guys have heard been burnt countless times before.

I'll keep an eye out for some classics going forward.

"Matt Bonner is like a laser-guided missle from 3pt range all year round".

JonNOKC
06-21-2012, 01:14 PM

Dude I wasn't calling you out based on talent of players - Kaman would be a good addition although not sure the best fit - so would Hibbert, Batum, or heck Howard or DWill but you have to be able to AFFORD players based on the CBA

Would it be nice to trade Splitter for a lotto pick? Sure but in what world will another GM value Tiago Splitter so much to give up pick #10 in a solid deep draft - do you really think that is the best offer the Hornets would get?

I don't know all the ins and outs of CBA but there are many guys on here that do and all it takes is a little bit of reading to at least have an idea of the basics so that when you throw out FAs or potential trades they are somewhat realistic

ace3g
07-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Ric Bucher ‏@RicBucher

Source: teams still w/ a shot at Mayo (Mavs, Rockets, Pacers, Clippers, Knicks and Suns) + Kaman (Mavs, Pacers, Spurs, Kings and Jazz)

benefactor
07-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Do. Not. Need. Or. Want.

Hoops Czar
07-05-2012, 01:10 PM
0% chance.

Mel_13
07-05-2012, 01:14 PM
0% chance.

Maybe 0.1%

timvp
07-05-2012, 01:16 PM
The only way Kaman makes sense at all is if you trade Splitter. You can't play Kaman and Duncan together and Splitter is also a center.

Even if you trade Splitter and sign Kaman, I still don't love the fit. He's a low-post scorer but isn't very efficient plus he's turnover-prone. On D, he's exploitable in pick-and-rolls.

I guess I'd like Kaman combined with a good Splitter trade more than I'd like the signing of Bass ... but those should be two low options on the radar.

DPG21920
07-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Things are starting to get whacky now. Now substance to any rumor, just random throw away footnotes, all of which make little sense overall.

Ersan, Camby, Bass and Kaman. Diaw, Lorbek & who else too?

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Spurs have to keep all of their options aware of their interest in case their preferred options go elsewhere. Due diligence here with Kaman. I'm willing to wager Kaman isn't at the top of their list.

DPG21920
07-05-2012, 02:01 PM
In a bubble, it's arguable Kaman would be the 2nd best big if the Spurs got him. For the money they have to offer (MLE), in terms of value that isn't so bad. But I agree, not a great fit, but I'll take him over Bass.

TD 21
07-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Spurs have to keep all of their options aware of their interest in case their preferred options go elsewhere. Due diligence here with Kaman. I'm willing to wager Kaman isn't at the top of their list.

Definitely. But the mere fact that they're even mentioned as interested in Kaman and Camby leads me to believe they're at the very least open to the possibility of a Splitter trade.

Even then, Kaman, in particular, would be an awkward fit to say the least. While overrated, he's still overqualified to be a 20 mpg backup, but that's all he'd be on the Spurs (they could only play him with Duncan against the Lakers). Then again, looking at the other teams on that list, the only other ones he'd start for would be the Pacers, if they don't match Hibbert's offer sheet (which I find hard to believe) and the Mavs, especially if they amnesty Haywood.

Nathan89
07-06-2012, 02:42 AM
The Spurs have the third best center in the league, the best backup center in the league and may have another quality center waiting in the wings and you want them to pursue an aging, injury prone, relatively immobile, non athletic, plodding center -- who's going to command well in excess of the MLE, no less --, when their biggest need is an athletic, mobile power forward? Keep in mind, they don't have a great deal of financial flexibility either.

The best backup center in the league and he still can't post up Fisher.:lol

On top that he showed he was too much of a pussy to hit free-throws with the pressure of the playoffs.

TD 21
07-06-2012, 05:52 PM
The best backup center in the league and he still can't post up Fisher.:lol

On top that he showed he was too much of a pussy to hit free-throws with the pressure of the playoffs.

I didn't say he was without weaknesses. But those weaknesses don't preclude him from being the best backup center in the league. Keep in mind, I'm talking amongst guys who come off the bench. Really, Gasol is the best backup center in the league by a mile, but he's a starter as well. So in terms of true backups, who's his stiffest competition? Most teams either play power forwards at backup center or play some extremely minimal center. Asik (who might be on the verge of becoming the Rockets starting center) and Kanter are probably his stiffest competition. But Asik is unlikely to ever be as good and while Kanter probably ends up better, he's not there yet.

Steve-O-Matic
07-06-2012, 06:04 PM
We need a Big White Stiff like we need a hole in the head. No thanks.

bklynspursfan
07-10-2012, 01:13 PM
With Camby out the picture, wonder what that means for the Kaman situation

bklynspursfan
07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Perhaps it's Possible:

With @varner48MoH guessing the #Spurs have 2 mill left, S&T Blair to NOH for Kaman could get Kaman around 2.8 mill to sign in SA....

timvp
07-10-2012, 01:43 PM
With @varner48MoH guessing the #Spurs have 2 mill left, S&T Blair to NOH for Kaman could get Kaman around 2.8 mill to sign in SA....

That's wrong on a lot of levels. The Spurs don't have $2M left. Even if they did, you can't combine it in a trade. And Kaman is going to make a lot more than $2.8M.

bklynspursfan
07-10-2012, 01:45 PM
That's wrong on a lot of levels. The Spurs don't have $2M left. Even if they did, you can't combine it in a trade. And Kaman is going to make a lot more than $2.8M.

Thanks for clearing that up. Lots of #'s being thrown out there now :)

NickiRasgo
07-10-2012, 06:57 PM

And Bonner. Do it RC! :lobt2:

racm
07-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Kaman is the least efficient 19 PPG player, no thanks

CGD
07-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. Lots of #'s being thrown out there now :)

Yeah I just heard the dude on channel 12 say Diaw will be earning 3M a year. I'm in SA for just a few days and happened to turn in the news. I'm not sure how reliable that dude is.

mountainballer
07-11-2012, 05:14 AM
the only somehow realistic scenario to land Kaman is a S&T with the Hornets taking back Splitter and Bonner. they might like Splitter, b/c they still need a center and they would likely cut Bonner.
a package of Splitter and Blair and/or Neal won't match the numbers, it will likely take something in the area of 3 years/24 mio to get Kaman.

but if the Hornets renounce the Kaman Bird rights to be able to absorb the Ryan Anderson contract, this option isn't alive as well.

venitian navigator
07-11-2012, 05:39 AM
the only somehow realistic scenario to land Kaman is a S&T with the Hornets taking back Splitter and Bonner. they might like Splitter, b/c they still need a center and they would likely cut Bonner.
a package of Splitter and Blair and/or Neal won't match the numbers, it will likely take something in the area of 3 years/24 mio to get Kaman.

but if the Hornets renounce the Kaman Bird rights to be able to absorb the Ryan Anderson contract, this option isn't alive as well.

No reason to do such deal...
Splitter, imho, if given minutes, is better and, as of now, surely less expensive than Kaman.

The only point could be to sign and trade him for our expendable (Byars contract, Joseph, Bonner at this point) plus contract friendly players (I mean Neal, Blair).

Let's not forget that Neal, Blair and Bonner have been three regular season rotation players for the team that's been the co-best, record wise, in the nba.

A sign and trade of these five for Kaman could make sense, if NO has already decided to not give Kaman a long term contract (as they probably are considering).

Bonner is the ideal sub for Anderson.
Blair and Neal are both younger than Kaman and, for next season, their contracs are bargains...and if one or both play well during the season (that could be highly probable, considering the amount of minutes they're gonna play) NO could have found the long term two rotation players instead of one bench player (considering that Anderson and Davis will play the starting 4/5 spots) sparing money (Just after the trade, NO could cut the contract of Byars and decide not to exercise the option on CO.JO).

mountainballer
07-11-2012, 06:28 AM
didn't say it's reasonable to do that deal. just said it's the only realistic scenario for a S&T with the Hornets.
the only player they need is Splitter.
why should they want PFs, when they just acquired 2 PFs in Anderson and Davis, but need a center?
and Bonner isn't the ideal sub for any player in this league.

racm
07-11-2012, 07:02 AM
How many teams need a stretch 4 again? Miami has their quota filled with Bosh and Lewis, Anderson just got traded to NOLA, KG has a good jumper, Lakers don't really need one but Gasol can do it, Chicago doesn't need one...

SenorSpur
07-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Local Dallas radio is reporting that Chris Kaman has agreed to terms with the Mavs. The proposed contract is one-yr @ 8 mil.

Confirmed:
http://www.rantsports.com/courtcrusades/2012/07/11/chris-kaman-agrees-to-deal-with-dallas-mavericks/

G-Nob
07-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Yahoo confirms. MEH

smaka
07-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Chris Kaman ‏@ChrisKaman
Partnering up with @swish41 and heading to the Mavs........

SenorSpur
07-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Mavs make their first foray into free agency with a vengance.

They stacked!