06-07-2012, 03:42 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_boris_diaw.jpg
Born: Apr 16, 1982
Height: 6-8 / 2.03
Weight: 235 lbs. / 106.6 kg.
Prior to NBA / Country:
Pau Orthez / France
Years Pro: 8

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/boris_diaw/career_stats.html)

Duncan2177
06-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Spurs want to resign Diaw but at what price?

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/spurs-want-keep-boris-diaw-what-price

Richie
06-11-2012, 03:14 PM
3 years $10m would be a good deal for the Spurs

Spurs da champs
06-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Dude needs to get in shape before he gets any kind of deal IMO.

Bruno
06-11-2012, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some teams offering the full MLE. Quality bigs are expensive. The question is whether or not Spurs will be one of these teams and if not, what kind of paycut Diaw is ready to take to stay with Spurs.

ginobili fan
06-11-2012, 04:29 PM
I think Diaw is already in love with San Antonio, and he wouldn't mind taking a low paycut in reasonnable way to stay with his buddy.
Now do the Spurs want to keep him ? Or going to a Big Man ?

DesignatedT
06-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Still up in the air on this one. Not sure how the Spurs should handle this.

tesseractive
06-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Still up in the air on this one. Not sure how the Spurs should handle this.

Unless we have a big move in mind (e.g. Garnett, Ilyasova), I think we need to bring him back. He's useful in a lot of ways and gives us versatility. He's a pretty good defender, and there are a ton of wrinkles we can keep adding to the motion offense to take advantage of a big man with the handles and passing of a point.

And if Pop and Tony can smack him upside the head enough times that he starts taking the open shot without hesitating, the upside is huge.

DesignatedT
06-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Of course if it's him or practically nothing than I would want him back. Spurs desperately need to make a move for another big man though IMO. Diaw/Splitter is not enough next to Duncan. Overpaying for Diaw wouldn't be a smart move IMO as he will end up wearing out his welcome pretty quick here if we don't win.

timvp
07-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Are there any reports of another team being interested in Diaw? I knew he wouldn't be a major prize but you'd think some team would make an early push for him . . .

Bruno
07-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Are there any reports of another team being interested in Diaw? I knew he wouldn't be a major prize but you'd think some team would make an early push for him . . .

Diaw seems to take his free agent status very quietly. The difference with Batum in that area is huge. Batum doesn't play games with FNT to avoid injuries and went back to the USA to negotiate his contract. Diaw plays games and is staying in France.

I'm not sure exactly what is behind that but it's almost too quiet. His agent reportedly went to SA while Spurs were still playing and talked with Spurs about his client future. I wouldn't be overly surprised that there were some kind of verbal agreement about a new contract resulting of this meeting.

AFBlue
07-01-2012, 02:06 PM
I imagine he's a plan B/C for most teams. His skill is well-documented, but so is his passiveness and inconsistency. Like Bruno said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some conversation around what it would take to bring him back to the Spurs, but I expect his true market won't materialize until later this summer regardless. Could be a long summer of no news with Diaw.

That is, if he wants to consider going elsewhere.

ABC
07-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Diaw seems to take his free agent status very quietly. The difference with Batum in that area is huge. Batum doesn't play games with FNT to avoid injuries and went back to the USA to negotiate his contract. Diaw plays games and is staying in France.

I'm not sure exactly what is behind that but it's almost too quiet. His agent reportedly went to SA while Spurs were still playing and talked with Spurs about his client future. I wouldn't be overly surprised that there were some kind of verbal agreement about a new contract resulting of this meeting.

Maybe Diaw really doesn't want to play for a bad team again and would like to continue to play with Parker? Since Diaw's already made quite a bit of money, do you think he'd be willing to take the LLE or a small amount of the MLE in exchange for a no-trade clause?

Big P
07-01-2012, 02:09 PM
The only other name I saw mentioned besides the Spurs was Boston.

Nathan89
07-01-2012, 02:10 PM
I doubt there are many teams that are interested in Diaw. He's likely to not give effort and get fat on many teams. Why would they bother?

Russ
07-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Can't live with him, can't live without him.

Bruno
07-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Maybe Diaw really doesn't want to play for a bad team again and would like to continue to play with Parker? Since Diaw's already made quite a bit of money, do you think he'd be willing to take the LLE or a small amount of the MLE in exchange for a no-trade clause?

No-trade clauses don't really exist in NBA.

What I've read in French press about Diaw is that he was looking for a $6M per year contract and even if he would like to come back to Spurs, he could go elsewhere too.

Even with all his defaults, a full MLE deal would be a fair deal for Diaw. Quality bigs are expensive.

DesignatedT
07-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't give Diaw the full MLE. Let him walk if it comes to that. JMO. Not the type of player you want on the team for 3 or 4 more years.

timvp
07-01-2012, 02:38 PM
A full MLE offer for Diaw? The Spurs would have to think about that. They'd have to see if they can get a cheaper replacement (or a comparable one with more potential). It'd also depend on whether they can sign Lorbek and if they think he's ready for a big role.

I might give a thumbs up to giving Diaw a full MLE offer, especially if someone like Asik is getting $8 million, but it will depend on how the market shakes out. It's not automatic.

gambit1990
07-01-2012, 02:42 PM

what do you mean? just outta curiosity. iirc, only kobe and dirk have no-trade clauses currently. do you mean they don't really exist because they're so rare? are they really hard to get? i feel like a player has to be on a team for a certain amount of years--am i correct?

iirc devean george had a no-trade clause when the mavs tried to trade him for kidd.

T Park
07-01-2012, 02:42 PM
I love clowns that say "Full MLE? let him walk'

Theres no one as good to replace...

Bruno
07-01-2012, 02:47 PM
what do you mean? just outta curiosity. iirc, only kobe and dirk have no-trade clauses currently. do you mean they don't really exist because they're so rare? are they really hard to get? i feel like a player has to be on a team for a certain amount of years--am i correct?

iirc devean george had a no-trade clause when the mavs tried to trade him for kidd.

You can read who can get or has a no-trade clause here:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q97

Diaw isn't eligible to get a no-trade clause. Speaking of no-trade clause, it would be somewhat logical if Duncan had one in his new contract.

Bruno
07-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Something regarding the full MLE is that it isn't at all in the same category than in the precious CBA.

In 2010-2011, a full MLE offer was $33.4M/5 years.
In 2012-2013, a full MLE offer is $21.4M/4 years.

Even if with one less year, the full MLE is $12M less than the old CBA latest full MLE.

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 03:02 PM
To me Bruno, that was one of the more glaring differences in the CBA from a contract perspective.

DesignatedT
07-01-2012, 03:05 PM

The Spurs or any team shouldn't pressure themselves into giving a bad contract because "there's no one as good to replace" that summer . There are different avenues the Spurs can take to land a good big man instead of just handing over bad contracts to lazy players because they can't get anybody else that summer. That's what mismanaged teams do.

I, for one, do not want Diaw on the books for 4 more years. That's just my opinion, clown.

timvp
07-01-2012, 03:05 PM
In 2012-2013, a full MLE offer is $21.4M/4 years.That's not a horrible deal for Diaw but it's also not a bargain. Add in his iffy commitment in the past and it'd also be somewhat risky.

That said, the Spurs would need a solid alternative to say goodbye to Diaw if he's willing to sign for that price.

Seventyniner
07-01-2012, 03:07 PM
To me Bruno, that was one of the more glaring differences in the CBA from a contract perspective.

I'm pretty sure it was one of the major concessions by the players' union. That was the primary mechanism used both by tax-paying teams to get better and role players to get overpaid.

elemento
07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I think the Spurs might offer something a little bit below the MLE in order to offer Denmon contract using the MLE in the same mold of Dejuan Blair.

At this point, it's between Diaw and Lorbek and i haven't heard many news about Lorbek and his desire to be in the NBA anymore.

With the MLE, we won't get the perfect pair for Duncan or a game-changer to put us in another level. I would be ok with either Boris or Lorbek.

elemento
07-01-2012, 03:10 PM
I think the Spurs might offer something a little bit below the MLE in order to offer Denmon contract using the MLE in the same mold of Dejuan Blair.

At this point, it's between Diaw and Lorbek and i haven't heard many news about Lorbek and his desire to be in the NBA anymore.

With the MLE, we won't get the perfect pair for Duncan or a game-changer to put us in another level. I would be ok with either Boris or Lorbek.

Nathan89
07-01-2012, 03:14 PM
A full MLE offer for Diaw? The Spurs would have to think about that. They'd have to see if they can get a cheaper replacement (or a comparable one with more potential). It'd also depend on whether they can sign Lorbek and if they think he's ready for a big role.

I might give a thumbs up to giving Diaw a full MLE offer, especially if someone like Asik is getting $8 million, but it will depend on how the market shakes out. It's not automatic.

Asik probably has a lot more teams that want him. Driving his value up.

DesignatedT
07-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Asik is also a 25 year old 7 footer. Not a 30 year old, 6'8 pf with weight and commitment issues.

I like Diaw, thought he did a good job but not for the full MLE.

AFBlue
07-01-2012, 03:28 PM

True, though if it costs you Lorbek it may not be worth it. If Splitter gets an Asik-like deal or higher next year, the Spurs will need a ready replacement, and Lorbek us the only one in the pipeline that fits the bill.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-01-2012, 03:33 PM
There is no Diaw replacement available. That became a certainty when they failed to draft Royce White. That combination of beef and ball skill is just not available.

They need to re-train him in camp. Pop needs an air horn and every time he caps one off, Boris MUST shoot the ball immediately in whatever drill they are in or scrimmage they are running. Do that a few hundred times, and he might understand when he's expected to shoot in our offense.

Mel_13
07-01-2012, 03:34 PM
They need to re-train him in camp. Pop needs an air horn and every time he caps one off, Boris MUST shoot the ball immediately in whatever drill they are in or scrimmage they are running. Do that a few hundred times, and he might understand when he's expected to shoot in our offense.

:lol

ABC
07-01-2012, 03:39 PM

What I've read in French press about Diaw is that he was looking for a $6M per year contract and even if he would like to come back to Spurs, he could go elsewhere too.

Even with all his defaults, a full MLE deal would be a fair deal for Diaw. Quality bigs are expensive.

Thanks. They could give him a trade kicker, but considering that is based on the total remaining value of the contract, it wouldn't give Diaw any guarantee that he would remain with the Spurs in the future (assuming he wanted to).

And I didn't mean to imply Diaw is only worth 2 million, I think he's worth much more, but I was hoping there was something the Spurs could offer that would offset a smaller dollar figure.

4down
07-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Dude needs to get in shape before he gets any kind of deal IMO.

Pipe dream, tbh #cremebrulee

baseline bum
07-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Haha, dude gets in shape and the Spurs will never be able to afford his ass.

Naelven
07-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Haha, dude gets in shape and the Spurs will never be able to afford his ass.

He is as we are spoken, he is training for the olympics and looking better and better.

I saw him personnaly at Vincennes at INSEP when they were running in the wood near my home and he is not as big as I thought, it is like he is melting right now.

therealtruth
07-02-2012, 09:06 PM
I actually felt Diaw was one of our better players against OKC and Pop should have played him more. He's also probably our second best passer.

As good as Parker's passing has got he still struggles at getting struggling teammates going. Natural point guards understand how to get a guy who is struggling going. DG could have really used that.

It's not just passing the ball to the guy at the 3pt line and hoping they make it. It's about getting them easy baskets that build their confidence.

racm
07-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Yeah, Diaw in the starting lineup takes off the load from TP, especially when he gets double teamed or shut down by long defenders.

Ice009
07-02-2012, 09:15 PM
I thought Diaw's weight against the bigger teams helped a lot, but against OKC would have probably been better if he was the slimmer Diaw. If he could have guarded out on the perimeter that would have helped a lot IMO. Plus, he's got to be more aggressive shooting the ball.

ace3g
07-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Mzp4mOkv7sI&feature=player_embedded#!

NickiRasgo
07-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Any update on this guy between the Spurs and him?

timvp
07-04-2012, 01:44 PM
It'd oddly quiet regarding Diaw. There's almost no talk of him going elsewhere.

Putting on my tinfoil hat, maybe the Spurs already have a deal with him and that's why he's playing for the FNT. It'd be pretty risky to play these little exhibition games if he didn't know where he's going to play next year. And the Spurs and Diaw wouldn't have any reason to let an agreement leak to the media before the 11th.

If that's not the case, has Diaw ever said that he wants a contract before the Olympics. I know Mills has said something like that but I don't remember that coming from Diaw.

benefactor
07-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Yeah...with all the names and numbers flying around and not even a mention of his name it seems more and more likely he will re-sign. With the Parker connection and his issues with the Bobcats last season perhaps teams aren't even bothering to call.

TD 21
07-04-2012, 06:03 PM
I thought from the moment he signed that it was a virtual foregone conclusion he'd re-sign. I knew he'd be a good fit and would love playing with the Spurs and I figured that he'd view this as a new lease on (basketball) life, to the point that he'd probably even give them a slight hometown discount.

I'm guessing the holdup is probably the Spurs trying to see if they can get Lorbek, to take the remainder of the MLE. If he refuses, Diaw probably get's a bigger piece of it. The only scenario I could see him not returning in, is if they decide to offer Kirilenko the full MLE.

Bruno
07-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Still not a single rumor about Diaw but with all the latest rumors, it seems more and more obvious that re-signing Diaw is the way to go for Spurs.

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Still not a single rumor about Diaw but with all the latest rumors, it seems more and more obvious that re-signing Diaw is the way to go for Spurs.

It has been all along. Nice if they can get him for three years rather four and if he would leave enough room under the full MLE to sign another player to a Blair-sized contract

Redshadows
07-08-2012, 10:58 AM
It is weird that no rumor connected to Diaw or Green.

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 11:02 AM

Not really.

There's no news on the majority of NBA free agents.

http://www.nba.com/freeagents/2012/

Wild Cobra Kai
07-08-2012, 11:03 AM
I think they had a deal worked out with Diaw in advance, and Green isn't worth big dollars, so teams know the Spurs will match anything reasonable.

ploto
07-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Diaw has not shown any sort of consistency year to year to earn a four-year contract - not in effort or fitness.