PDA

View Full Version : I'm still excited for the next season.

ginobili fan
06-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Last year at the same time I was disgusted by the Spurs and no hope at all.
Today I'm disgusted by the NBA but have big hope for next years.
That's encouraging...
Keep all those guys, don't know how we can improve this roster without making big changes...
Some points to make it believable:
1) Some bastards said Duncan should retire...
He's not MVP anymore but he's stilll top 5.
He's better than Gasol,Dirk,Jefferson and Bynum...
Many other franchise could make a run building around Timmy still today.
2) Manu is officially "old" but he showed he can still be legend on a good day.
I trust in Pop managing these two old guys.
3) TP had an MVP season, but has to get to the next level.
Too many people have high (too high maybe) expectations on him, but he's not Derrick Rose.But I believe he can still be that kind of a leader for our team.
4) Leonard is our future. Can't be more excited to look at him next year.
5) Diaw is the perfect teammate for the spurs, for a guy who came late here, we saw some bright spots, that's encouraging. I'd love to see him developp that 3 point shot and Bonner's gone is the next step of having 12 men on that team.
6) Captain Jack should retire as a spur.I hope he has still a history to finish at San Antonio.
Keep these 6 guys and we have a hell of a core to begin good.
Splitter ? Pop doesn't trust him...
Green ? Hope he doesn't turn to an Udoka type of player...
Neal and Patty ? I don't know if they can be NBA PG...
Blair ? Mystery...
Anderson ? Big Mystery...
Bonner ? He's a good guy.
So overall we should say the windows are not closed yet.
As long as we have Duncan with us we'll have a shot.
We are the underdogs.
We have always been.
I like this.
Few expectations, secretly Big hope.
:flag:

ginobili fan
06-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Road to five baby.

TampaDude
06-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Barring any late-season injuries, the Spurs should be back in the WCF next year.

I can't wait to get some payback.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

DieHardSpursFan1537
06-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm already looking forward to next season. I think it's going to be a much better year next year and we should have just as good (most likely better) team. I'm most looking forward to seeing how much improved Kawhi will be.

rascal
06-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Barring any late-season injuries, the Spurs should be back in the WCF next year.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

All your posts are full of homerism. You can't even count on next year yet without knowing what the rosters will look like for the Spurs and other teams.

clambake
06-07-2012, 06:02 PM
imagine how much better the thunder will be.

TampaDude
06-07-2012, 06:09 PM
All your posts are full of homerism. You can't even count on next year yet without knowing what the rosters will look like for the Spurs and other teams.

All your posts are full of negativity. And it's not homerism to think that a team that went this far this year has a better than average chance of advancing at least as far next year. If that's your definition of "homerism", then so be it. I, for one, still BELIEVE. :hat

TampaDude
06-07-2012, 06:10 PM

Yup...notice how I didn't say the Spurs would WIN the WCF, just that I think they'll get back there. Outside the Spurs and Thunder, the West is a hot mess.

ginobili fan
06-07-2012, 06:11 PM

Don't believe this.
Thunders are already in their prime.
If they loose to the Celtics at the finals, I see them collapsing sooner or later.

TDomination
06-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Same here.

This team is really fun to watch and really good too. Yes we lost be we are a championship contender who happened to lose to another championship contender.

My biggest worry....injuries. We got lucky this year in the playoffs and couldn't take advantage. Can we get lucky 2 years in a row?

Sean Cagney
06-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Don't believe this.
If they loose to the Celtics at the finals, I see them collapsing sooner or later.

As young as they are I seriously doubt this.

If they win their confidence will be SKY HIGH IMO.

ginobili fan
06-07-2012, 06:36 PM
As young as they are I seriously doubt this.

If they win their confidence will be SKY HIGH IMO.

Yeah I meant they were like crazy good against us...like having 5 prime ginobili on the court.
I've never seen a team good like this against the spurs...
Even the 2006 Dallas is nothing compared to this OKC team.
But we were close, very close too without playing our best possible basketball, unlike them.

And of course if they win, they're on the road to a dynasty.

Richie
06-07-2012, 07:06 PM
People keep talking about an OKC dynasty, but a small market like them cannot keep this roster together. One of Harden or Ibaka will have to leave unless they both take WAY under thier market value because of the big contracts Westbrook and Durant already have. Take out either of those guys and we win this series.

PublicOption
06-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Sucker

KDtrey5
06-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Don't believe this.

22 and 23 year olds already at their primes:lmao, All of sudden you expect the Thunder to loose in the finals. I'm pretty sure you thought the Spurs were going to get their fifth ring. You can hope we lose but doesn't change the real outcome.

ffadicted
06-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Always excited for a new spurs season, but I doubt we'll be back in the WCF next year with the clips, thunder and memphis in our way

DieHardSpursFan1537
06-07-2012, 07:20 PM

Imagine how the Mavericks are going to be the same team that gets out of the first round yet again because they decided to trade away Tyson Chandler.

Legacy
06-07-2012, 07:33 PM
All your posts are full of negativity. And it's not homerism to think that a team that went this far this year has a better than average chance of advancing at least as far next year. If that's your definition of "homerism", then so be it. I, for one, still BELIEVE. :hat

:hat

Richie
06-07-2012, 07:36 PM
22 and 23 year olds already at their primes:lmao, All of sudden you expect the Thunder to loose in the finals. I'm pretty sure you thought the Spurs were going to get their fifth ring. You can hope we lose but doesn't change the real outcome.

This year and next year is the best team the Thunder will have this generation. Solid role players around 4 stars in Durant, Harden, Westbrook and Ibaka. You only keep 3 of them beyond 2013 and with the luxury tax penalties even higher under the new CBA, I question how good a team you can keep together.

Funnily enough I think you need to keep Ibaka ahead of Harden even though Harden is the better player, because you need that defensive inside presence.

Of course Harden and Ibaka might take super cheap contracts, but I don't see them ignoring $12-15m offer sheets in restricted free agency to stay in OKC for maybe half that.

Regardless, better to be in that position for a few years rather than not at all. Well done Presti, drafted a great team

clambake
06-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Imagine how the Mavericks are going to be the same team that gets out of the first round yet again because they decided to trade away Tyson Chandler.

tell us about that trade.

Nathan89
06-07-2012, 07:42 PM

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

I believe we have a great chance at making it back to the WCF. I think the Lakers could make a trade involving Pau that would make them better than the Spurs. Nonetheless still a good chance. I can't see us winning vs OKC which is unfortunate.

Andthentherewas21
06-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Always excited for a new spurs season, but I doubt we'll be back in the WCF next year with the clips, thunder and memphis in our way

With the exception of the Thunder I wouldn't be overly worried about those teams.

Memphis is going to either lose Mayo, or have to give up one of Z-Bo, Gasol, or Gay (chances are it would be Gay if they keep OJ Mayo). Not to mention beyond Conley they don't have a pg, (hence why they had Mayo doing it and picked up Arenas).

The Clippers managed to lowball the GM that got them Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Kenyon Martin, Nick Young, and Caron Butler, while getting rid of Baron Davis' $26 million or something like that contract the season before. Donald Sterling won't let the Clippers be a good team, just a matter of time before Paul realizes it.

Think you need to be more weary of the Timberwolves with a healthy Rubio, Love, Pek and if they get a 2-guard that can actually play D and score with their capspace. Or the Lakers if the are able to move Gasol (I don't know why half the league is willing to give up anything for the Laker Mid-range Bonner, but he did nearly net them Chris Paul).

Not to mention you've got Houston who could be renting Dwight Howard for the season and the Hornets who will have Davis and probably still Eric Gordon.

I think, depending on injuries, the Spurs are top 4 in the West still, and depending on where the chips lie the Spurs are probably back in the WCF

tesseractive
06-07-2012, 07:51 PM
tell us about that trade.

Really lopsided, I thought. Honestly, they got nothing back of any value. :lol

Russ
06-07-2012, 08:36 PM

Hopefully, you will win.

We'll enjoy it.

Texans always lead the way to any Okie successes (in athletics, at least). :toast

DeadlyDynasty
06-07-2012, 08:38 PM
wow...rascal is actually the voice of reason in this thread

SenorSpur
06-07-2012, 08:50 PM
I'll be more excited if and when the Spurs acquire an ass-kicking PF/C type over the offseason.

TXstbobcat
06-07-2012, 09:11 PM
It's one day after elimination but I am already looking forward to next season.

TXstbobcat
06-07-2012, 09:12 PM

I think the thunder will be back in the WCF again. I also think the Cuban will make a few moves that will make Mavs fan really excited.

MI21
06-07-2012, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Clippers get to the WCF next season against the Thunder.

TXstbobcat
06-07-2012, 09:25 PM
I want another shot at the Thunder. Spurs vs. Thunder WCF 2013!!!!

Wild Cobra Kai
06-07-2012, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Clippers get to the WCF next season against the Thunder.

:lol I would. Outside of CP3, they have a collective BBIQ of about 8.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Zach Lowe doesn't think we're done, either.

The Point Forward (http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/06/07/san-antonio-spurs-nba/?sct=hp_wr_a3&eref=sihp)

slayermin
06-07-2012, 10:13 PM
I wonder if it's better for us next season if the Thunder win or if the Thunder lose.

I'm leaning toward the Thunder losing in the Finals.

clambake
06-08-2012, 12:18 AM
I think the thunder will be back in the WCF again. I also think the Cuban will make a few moves that will make Mavs fan really excited.

not gonna happen. he smoked up the pipe dream already.

Russo21
06-08-2012, 12:34 AM
It's time to blow it up man, seriously. For about 5 years we've been saying we'll come back and have a chance next season. How many next seasons can a freaking team have?

Keep Duncan, Leonard, Jackson, Diaw

Manu is old n busted
Tony choked two years straight in the playoffs
Bonner fuck off
Splitter fuck off
Neal had a RMJ year but hit his ceiling already, all down hill from here
Blair to short
Anderson gone
Green choked like bonner
New coach

Even Duncan and Jackson should go if we don't beef up the roster. Start afresh. Tank 6 years in a row and get top draft picks and build a dynasty for the next decade.

Seriously how many times can a team come back for one last run

Jumi
06-08-2012, 12:43 AM
It's time to blow it up man, seriously. For about 5 years we've been saying we'll come back and have a chance next season. How many next seasons can a freaking team have?

Manu is old n busted
Bonner fuck off
Splitter fuck off
Blair to short
Anderson gone
Green choked like bonner

Even Duncan and Jackson should go if we don't beef up the roster. Start afresh. Tank 6 years in a row and get top draft picks and build a dynasty for the next decade.

This
Holt isn't going to do this because he has money to make, but it's time to rebuild this thing. This was the best chance. The longer we wait, the more pain we're gonna endure. We're too tied to the past. We all know that no big name free agent will come here. Retool through the draft and start preparing for the future. Start with Pop!

timvp
06-08-2012, 12:44 AM
^ The level of spoil in some Spurs fans is astonishing.

At least 80% of Spurs fans wanted the team to rebuild after the loss to the Grizzlies last year and that would have been a huge mistake with how close the Spurs got to the Promised Land this season.

dbreiden83080
06-08-2012, 12:44 AM

Only a matter of time before someone mistakes Harden for a terrorist and takes him out..

Russo21
06-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Timvp, close isnt good enough man.

Arcadian
06-08-2012, 03:55 AM
Yeah, I think the Spurs will be contenders again next year. I don't know why everyone is saying 2012 was our last shot.

Duncan can continue to play at this level until he's 40. He's not going to just suddenly turn into an average player. Every year Duncan is on the team, we have a shot. He's not done yet.

Ginobili should be about the same too.

Parker could potentially have even better years ahead of him.

Then we have several young players who are expected to improve: Leonard, Green, Neal, and Splitter.

They should be rated highly going into next season.

mingus
06-08-2012, 05:43 AM
I think next year is officially the last season the Big 3 play together. It may be the last season in some time that the Spurs make the playoffs. I'm going to soak up every minute I can.

TXstbobcat
06-08-2012, 09:18 AM
I will always watch my spurs even after the big 3 have retired.

Legacy
06-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I think the Spurs will be contenders again next year. I don't know why everyone is saying 2012 was our last shot.

It's ALWAYS our last shot, dammit... :cry:cry:cry

Duncan2177
06-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Well one thing is for sure the spurs need a tough physical bigman next to Tim.

purist
06-08-2012, 03:28 PM

Manu is old n busted
Bonner fuck off
Splitter fuck off
Blair to short
Anderson gone
Green choked like bonner
New coach

basketball AND business stupid

Legacy
06-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Well one thing is for sure the spurs need a tough physical bigman next to Tim.

:tu

Budkin
06-08-2012, 03:43 PM

At least 80% of Spurs fans wanted the team to rebuild after the loss to the Grizzlies last year and that would have been a huge mistake with how close the Spurs got to the Promised Land this season.

This. Don't blow it up until Timmy is gone.

Thomas3
06-08-2012, 03:44 PM
The Spurs still have a chance next year unless they do something with their bench.
Painful to watch these players:

Bonner (Worst spurs player I saw in 15 years)
Splitter (Shows no interest in his game, especially his free-throws)

Most players can't defend and with no defense you never win championships.

Hopefully they keep these players: Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Jackson, Diaw, Leonard.

Is there a chance they'll trade Bonner next season?

Can we get an athletic player on our team, who can block a shot, rebound, defend?

SamoanTD
06-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Spurs are right there we really need only 2 players a back up pg who can handle the ball and decent court vision, and a long athletic big who can block shots.

Thomas3
06-08-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm sure they'll find them!

dylankerouac
06-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Excited and ready for the next season. Considering the start of this season the Spurs overachieved and unfortunately met a great opponent in OKC. Leonard should improve, Green should improve, Splitter should improve, Diaw will hopefully improve and start taking wide open shots when the opposition dares him. That leaves us with 8 players to rely on for next years rotation if we keep Jackson too.

Blair should also improve - though I really think if Pop is not going to trust him in the playoffs than the team should just dump him now and start developing his replacement. In trying to keep his limited skill set I hope they can find someone closer to 7' for put backs. At this point, if Pop can't trust Blair to play then his replacement should be found as soon as possible.

Same thing should be said of Bonner though I am not convinced we need a three point shooting big since we haven't been able to utilize this type of player in the post season anyway. A solid mid-range jumper in lieu would be nice.

Or keep Blair and find Bonner's replacement. The team has invested a lot of time into Blair and he does a lot of the dirty work when he gets playing time.

Looking forward to what happens.

Duncan2177
06-08-2012, 04:07 PM

Duncan can continue to play at this level until he's 40. He's not going to just suddenly turn into an average player. Every year Duncan is on the team, we have a shot. He's not done yet.

Ginobili should be about the same too.

Parker could potentially have even better years ahead of him.

Then we have several young players who are expected to improve: Leonard, Green, Neal, and Splitter.

They should be rated highly going into next season.

Are you kidding? Parker is 30 now and will not have better years ahead of him and he chokes in the playoffs and Manu is declining.

DontStopBelieving
06-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Manu is old n busted
Bonner fuck off
Splitter fuck off
Blair to short
Anderson gone
Green choked like bonner
New coach

:lmao

Legacy
06-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Are you kidding? Parker is 30 now and will not have better years ahead of him and he chokes in the playoffs and Manu is declining.

Eh ... a little harsh there, imo, tbh, fwiw.

BackHome
06-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Manu is the guy who has me worried his minutes are going to have to be reduced big time. I will be excited if we do three things.

1. Sign Lobrek
2. Get rid of Nutless Bonner
3. Get rid of Blair
4. Sign a PG

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-08-2012, 08:22 PM
The Big 3 plus Leonard, Jax, Diaw, Splitter, Mills, Neal, maybe Grizz, is a nice core going forward. Somehow pull a deal for an athletic 4 like Josh Smith and we could contend. It'll be very interesting to see what the FO will do.

We'll stay relevant for another year or two, but my worry is how much better the Thunder are going to get. Anyway, that's why we follow sports - the thrill of the journey.

therealtruth
06-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Excited and ready for the next season. Considering the start of this season the Spurs overachieved and unfortunately met a great opponent in OKC. Leonard should improve, Green should improve, Splitter should improve, Diaw will hopefully improve and start taking wide open shots when the opposition dares him. That leaves us with 8 players to rely on for next years rotation if we keep Jackson too.

Blair should also improve - though I really think if Pop is not going to trust him in the playoffs than the team should just dump him now and start developing his replacement. In trying to keep his limited skill set I hope they can find someone closer to 7' for put backs. At this point, if Pop can't trust Blair to play then his replacement should be found as soon as possible.

Same thing should be said of Bonner though I am not convinced we need a three point shooting big since we haven't been able to utilize this type of player in the post season anyway. A solid mid-range jumper in lieu would be nice.

Or keep Blair and find Bonner's replacement. The team has invested a lot of time into Blair and he does a lot of the dirty work when he gets playing time.

Looking forward to what happens.

Kenny Smith said it.

You need the ability to hit a mid range jumper in the playoffs. I think all the Spurs role players should practice that. Neal is currently the best at it. When the defender runs the Spurs player of the line the player needs the ability to take 1 or 2 dribbles and then get a shot off. Now the next time the player tries to run the player of the line he's hesitant which gives enough time to get the 3 off.

There has to be a balance between rushing a shot and making the defender pay for the hard closeout. Right now it's too easy to negate the Spurs role players by closing out hard on them. Taking rushed shots that are likely to miss isn't the solution.

Jumi
06-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Manu is the guy who has me worried his minutes are going to have to be reduced big time. I will be excited if we do three things.

1. Sign Lobrek
2. Get rid of Nutless Bonner
3. Get rid of Blair
4. Sign a PG
If we sign Lobrek, Pop isn't going to play him. I'd rather go after Novak. I like Andre Miller at the point because he plays DEFENSE. If someone younger is available that plays defense then I'd take that. Blair is a toss up. He eats regular season minutes, is cheap, but can't be played with Splitter. If I had faith Pop would play Lobrek, then Blair can walk. Splitter, Duncan, Diaw, and Lobrek would be perfect. I'm just not in the mood for a developing PG in this two year window. Neal showed me the value of a good backup PG.

Parker/Miller/Joseph
Green/Manu/Neal
Kawhi/Jaxx
Diaw/Lobrek
Duncan/Splitter

2 Years, 1 Title

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Mills will be the backup PG next year. He already proved that he can be a very good NBA backup at Portland. He can defend, score, and will learn how to run the team in the off-season.

Reck
06-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Nope.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2012, 11:20 PM
I'll be more excited if and when the Spurs acquire an ass-kicking PF/C type over the offseason.

Hard to argue with that, would only say that this team will improve significantly with Jack and Diaw here for a full season.

kobexxx
06-08-2012, 11:31 PM
we need to blow up this team.. Its old

rascal
06-10-2012, 07:40 PM

You said it yourself, this year was the Last Stand. It didn't happen, the Spurs were just not good enough. Time to make a big roster move to upgrade the frontline.

Standing pat for another year with the same core won't get the team the badly needed frontline upgrade and without it the spurs will still be fighting an uphill losing battle on the defensive end. Duncan had no help down low against the Thunder and was trying to go one on two or three at times on the offensive end and defensively he had no help. The Thunder were taking it to the basket and scoring with ease. without strong inside defense it is almost impossible to make the tough stops against the better teams. OK City was the first tough opponent the Spurs faced in the playoffs and they fell. The banged up Clippers and Utah were boderline playoff teams.

Splitter is not the answer, Diaw is not a strong enough inside player, Bonner should be off the team, Blair is too short. Pop did not have confidence in any of these guys and was forced to play Diaw more minutes than he should have played. Diaw can be all right in limited minutes but he should not be anything more than an off the bench player.

the Spurs need an impact player on the frontline and it will take shaking up the roster to get one. If the Spurs come back with the same team they won't even get to the WCF next year. If they can't get past the WCF with favorable matchups and the core healthy then how can this team win next year with the same team?

rascal
06-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Hard to argue with that, would only say that this team will improve significantly with Jack and Diaw here for a full season.

So you are counting on improvements from Jackson and Diaw? How much better can Jackson play? He is on the wrong side of 30. And Diaw is just not a big enough player worthy of getting starters minutes on the frontline.

Leonard is the one likely to improve, Jackson is likely to regress.

I don't know what the big deal with jackson is. Sure he hit a few shots in game 6 but was his defense anything special? Can you count on him hitting big shots next year, I am not so sure.

I don't like the overall reliance on 3 point shooting to win playoff games. Too hard to get far in the playoffs without the athletes who can create their own shots and take it to the basket for easy scores.

rascal
06-10-2012, 08:15 PM
The Big 3 plus Leonard, Jax, Diaw, Splitter, Mills, Neal, maybe Grizz, is a nice core going forward. Somehow pull a deal for an athletic 4 like Josh Smith and we could contend. It'll be very interesting to see what the FO will do.

We'll stay relevant for another year or two, but my worry is how much better the Thunder are going to get. Anyway, that's why we follow sports - the thrill of the journey.

how are you getting Josh Smith while keeping the big 3, Leonard, Jax, Splitter, Diaw, Mills , Neal and grizz?

Chomag
06-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Going forward I like some aspects I see on this team, but I just can't help but laugh at those thinking Spurs can get an impact frontline player for our scrubs. Last time I checked decent big men are at a premium right now.

I see this team still as a good NBA team, but their core is just way too aged to get over the hump. I know many here were surprised at the success Spurs had this season as I was one of them, however could it be clouding the thought that many Spurs mains will be another year into the twilight of their careers? Even with reduced minutes Manu, and Tim are at the point where players with their milage have a major drop off, it's only natural.

They are going to most likely have to make a move of a fan favorite Spur. Will the FO do this? I'm thinking probebly not, but Spurs are going to need to take some high risks at this point to consider getting to the promise land.

SamoanTD
06-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Things I think the spurs should do/try:

1. Get Timmy signed
2. Try get de colo signed
3. Trade Neal+(blair or bonner)to move up in the draft preferably Cleveland 33 or 34 pick.
4. Draft big(O'Quinn, James)
5. Sign free agent (diaw, Randolph, Camby, KG,etc) a big that blocks shots.
6. Bonner amnesty or dies
Tony, de colo
Green, Manu, free agent
Leonard, Jack
Free agent, (O'Quinn, James)
Duncan, splitter

lefty
06-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Meh ....

Whats the point ?

stern will fuck us again next season

Legacy
06-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Guess I'll just become a fair-weather fan and retire in the dungeon. :depressed

Sean Cagney
06-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Meh ....

Whats the point ?

stern will fuck us again next season

LOL seriosly you think the refs blew the whole series? GAME 5 at home you are down big and lose in the end right? Spurs blew that series, not stern nor the refs! Game 6 late some bad calls yes, but how the F you blow an 18 pt lead to begin with bro? COME On the SPURS LOST.

lefty
06-11-2012, 10:37 AM
LOL seriosly you think the refs blew the whole series? GAME 5 at home you are down big and lose in the end right? Spurs blew that series, not stern nor the refs! Game 6 late some bad calls yes, but how the F you blow an 18 pt lead to begin with bro? COME On the SPURS LOST.
You can blow the whole series in 1 half

There should have been a game 7