PDA

View Full Version : Pathetic Spurs fans

KDtrey5
06-07-2012, 06:25 PM
I feel sorry for majority of you because 88% of you seem to think the league is rigged because we won 4 straight. You went against the Utah Jazz who was by the far weakest team in all the playoffs. After the Los Angeles Clippers who were damaged goods after the series they had with the Grizzles. Like coach Gregg Popovich said,"It's almost like a Hollywood script for OKC in a sense. ... Those three teams represent 10 of the last 13 championships, and now they're going to go to the finals and play either Boston or Miami, and that'll be 11 of the last 13 championships" The Thunder had by far the hardest road to get to the finals. Since the beginning of the season everyone knew we were going to finals after majority of the key players went unsigned in Dallas. Just because the Spurs had a 20 game winning streak doesn't really mean shit when 8 of them was from playoff teams who was just considered average. I know for a fact the Spurs wouldn't have swept the Lakers.Keep being bitter about your lost :rollin. The spurs should focus on getting players who don't choke a 2-0 lead. For some fans you guys sure are kick to blame the head coach and certain players when you guys knew you were going to eliminated.

for those of you who are crying about the league is rigged :rollin
look on the bright side atleast you lost to the 2012 nba champions :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

spursince#99
06-07-2012, 06:27 PM
............. yy,elkdvmw your mom says "HI" :lol

rascal
06-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Expect the onslaught soon.

arial
06-07-2012, 06:31 PM
look on the bright side atleast you lost to the 2012 nba champions :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Gotta win it first :nope

Venti Quattro
06-07-2012, 06:32 PM
KDTrey5 ... BANG!!! :lmao

Darius Bieber
06-07-2012, 06:33 PM

Pride comes before the fall.

KDtrey5
06-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Gotta win it first :nope

Wasn't majority of you guys saying you were going to win it all?:lmao
If i remember correctly you guys were going to swept everybody? LOL

Leetonidas
06-07-2012, 06:36 PM
tl;dr

TE
06-07-2012, 06:38 PM
tl;dr

bthewigwam
06-07-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm pretty sure most here will read your post and not give it a second thought. Mainly cuz they'll primarily feel sorry for you, because of your grammar skills. What's up with the education system over there?

Legacy
06-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Classy. :td

KDtrey5
06-07-2012, 06:51 PM
fvkKdXLwt0U

KARMA IS A BITCH :rollin

06-07-2012, 07:35 PM
fvkKdXLwt0U

funny shit

06-07-2012, 07:35 PM
funny stuff

Spurs9
06-07-2012, 07:40 PM
fvkKdXLwt0U

Real talk, I never used to believe it but the league is rigged. OKC was the better team against us, so I'm not going to play the ref card but don't shrug at the fact the league is rigged. Prime example, Hornets getting the #1 pick :lmao

:lol at already calling OKC the champions. You might be on the wrong side of the finals rig

Richie
06-07-2012, 07:44 PM
People are acting as if the only 2 options are a) every game is called fairly or b) the league is rigged. The reality is the grey area in the middle

The Thunder got the benefit of every whistle in the second half of Game 6. The referees feel the pressure of the home crowd and buckled. Not rigged, not predetermined, but it happened. I have no doubt every team has benefited from such a game throughout history.

The referees decided Game 6 in my mind by giving the Thunder every whistle, but they didn't have a huge amount to do with Games 3, 4 and 5 which the Spurs threw away.

There should be a Game 7, the series deserved it, but the Spurs threw away enough games to not have too many complaints

SamoanTD
06-07-2012, 07:49 PM
I feel sorry for majority of you because 88% of you seem to think the league is rigged because we won 4 straight. You went against the Utah Jazz who was by the far weakest team in all the playoffs. After the Los Angeles Clippers who were damaged goods after the series they had with the Grizzles. Like coach Gregg Popovich said,"It's almost like a Hollywood script for OKC in a sense. ... Those three teams represent 10 of the last 13 championships, and now they're going to go to the finals and play either Boston or Miami, and that'll be 11 of the last 13 championships" The Thunder had by far the hardest road to get to the finals. Since the beginning of the season everyone knew we were going to finals after majority of the key players went unsigned in Dallas. Just because the Spurs had a 20 game winning streak doesn't really mean shit when 8 of them was from playoff teams who was just considered average. I know for a fact the Spurs wouldn't have swept the Lakers.Keep being bitter about your lost :rollin. The spurs should focus on getting players who don't choke a 2-0 lead. For some fans you guys sure are kick to blame the head coach and certain players when you guys knew you were going to eliminated.

Eastern Conference says hi lol

tesseractive
06-07-2012, 07:49 PM
The Thunder got the benefit of every whistle in the second half of Game 6. The referees feel the pressure of the home crowd and buckled. Not rigged, not predetermined, but it happened. I have no doubt every team has benefited from such a game throughout history.

The referees decided Game 6 in my mind by giving the Thunder every whistle

If we hadn't given away 14 points in the lightly-officiated 3rd quarter, this would be a better argument, IMO.

Budkin
06-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Go back to hickville.

Richie
06-07-2012, 08:05 PM
If we hadn't given away 14 points in the lightly-officiated 3rd quarter, this would be a better argument, IMO.

So because we gave away a lead in the 3rd, that excuses the awful whistles in the 4th? We got the stops we needed in the 4th despite the refs putting the Thunder in the bonus on the 8 minute mark and calling the kind of soft fouls that they were getting away with against us. If the game was called equally in the 4th, I really think we would have won.

Refs swallowed thier whistles for the home team, it happens, just gotta accept it and move on. Boston might already be in the finals if the refs had called that horrible foul across Rondo's face in OT of Game 2 vs Miami. It happens to plenty of teams up and down the league, we let ourselves be in that position by losing games 3, 4 and 5.

thunderfan
06-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Real talk, I never used to believe it but the league is rigged. OKC was the better team against us, so I'm not going to play the ref card but don't shrug at the fact the league is rigged. Prime example, Hornets getting the #1 pick :lmao

:lol at already calling OKC the champions. You might be on the wrong side of the finals rig

It's rigged EXCEPT when the Spurs win. That's the claim. Do you realize how lame that claim is? Well Stern can't do it all the time. That'd be too obvious. He has to lay off some. And lo and behold wouldn't you know it the years he doesn't rig it the mighty Spurs win! This is because during those years there were no stars Stern was trying to promote on other teams.

DontStopBelieving
06-07-2012, 08:15 PM

I recall the shady officiating beginning when the spurs were up 7 tbh.. It almost all started with the Jackson T.

thunderfan
06-07-2012, 08:21 PM
People are acting as if the only 2 options are a) every game is called fairly or b) the league is rigged. The reality is the grey area in the middle

The referees decided Game 6 in my mind by giving the Thunder every whistle, but they didn't have a huge amount to do with Games 3, 4 and 5 which the Spurs threw away.

There should be a Game 7, the series deserved it, but the Spurs threw away enough games to not have too many complaints

100% agree with you. I'm not here to be an ass even though I've argued. The Spurs are a bunch of cool and classy dudes. I know we got some calls in game 6 and like you said it happens to everyone. Some people here act like SA won their titles with perfectly reffed games and no "help" from the refs. That's 100% BS. The Spurs deserved more of a shot to make a game 7. If those calls weren't made woul they have won? We will never know. You can't calculate that. The game changes with each call. But like you said, I totally believe the previous games were solid wins And were going to be solid wins regardless.

By the way I dont agree wholly that we got every single whistle in the second half but I agree with most everything you said. The best assessment I've read

100%duncan
06-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Sup Luva.

hooperflash
06-07-2012, 08:35 PM
this dude makes it hard to root for the Thunder , quit your shit bitch.

TXstbobcat
06-07-2012, 08:47 PM
100% agree with you. I'm not here to be an ass even though I've argued. The Spurs are a bunch of cool and classy dudes. I know we got some calls in game 6 and like you said it happens to everyone. Some people here act like SA won their titles with perfectly reffed games and no "help" from the refs. That's 100% BS. The Spurs deserved more of a shot to make a game 7. If those calls weren't made woul they have won? We will never know. You can't calculate that. The game changes with each call. But like you said, I totally believe the previous games were solid wins And were going to be solid wins regardless.

By the way I dont agree wholly that we got every single whistle in the second half but I agree with most everything you said. The best assessment I've read

This isn't about the refs in game 6. The thunder made clutch shots in each of the last 3 games. The thunder earned this series and deserve to be in the finals. As much of a spurs fan as I am, I'm not going to believe that there was a conspiracy theory by the league to keep the spurs out of the finals.

Leetonidas
06-07-2012, 08:50 PM
:lol oklahoma
:lol anus of america
:lol meth
:lol timothy mcveigh
:lol no relevant sports titles

thunderfan
06-07-2012, 09:56 PM
"We" didn't steal anything. They came. We support. Fan support gets no better than in OKC. What are we supposed to do? Boycott the games because we felt it was not right to move the team? I rest my case. And - the team was horrible when thy showed up. We had KD. The other pieces were questionable at the time. Risky you might say. We developed them And made smart moves trade wise

blackfire12
06-07-2012, 10:02 PM
tl;dr
^ This

Also, please learn how to correctly write in English before you talk shit. It doesn't make you sound as dumb.. just saying

slayermin
06-07-2012, 10:09 PM
:lol at OKC fan. You guys are probably gonna get Miami.

Who do you think is gonna get the calls? You haven't done shit yet.

DarrinS
06-07-2012, 10:10 PM
"We" didn't steal anything. They came. We support. Fan support gets no better than in OKC. What are we supposed to do? Boycott the games because we felt it was not right to move the team? I rest my case. And - the team was horrible when thy showed up. We had KD. The other pieces were questionable at the time. Risky you might say. We developed them And made smart moves trade wise

I know what he was saying. Your city didn't have to struggle through a long shit period to get to the finals. Also, your team didn't have to play against a bunch of hall-of-famers, in their prime. That said, your team is pretty damn good. Enjoy it while it lasts.

thunderfan
06-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Most don't talk shit. I don't. And as I stated- we Sucked when the team came here. 3-29. Yeah we got better gradually an quickly, but we still sucked.

DarrinS
06-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Most don't talk shit. I don't. And as I stated- we Sucked when the team came here. 3-29. Yeah we got better gradually an quickly, but we still sucked.

Your team has a core group of players that are 22-23 yrs old. With the right coach and the right GM (you're welcome, btw), that team is going to be good for a LONG time.

rayray2k8
06-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Sup Luva.

Is it? That would explain a lot..

DMX7
06-07-2012, 10:19 PM
fvkKdXLwt0U

So you just discredited yourself. I guess the league is rigged.

KaiRMD1
06-07-2012, 10:24 PM
*golf clap*

rayray2k8
06-07-2012, 10:28 PM
lol this isn't a Thunder fan.
They wouldn't remember this. :lol

Namundy
06-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Umm, you have another series to look forward to. Why the hell would you waste any more time on this forum lol?

Legacy
06-07-2012, 10:41 PM
So you just discredited yourself. I guess the league is rigged.

More class. :lol

KDtrey5
06-07-2012, 10:48 PM
More class. :lol

lol of course the league is rigged :rollin. However, games,3,4 and 5 we won fair and square. Game 6 was a a mixture of good offense and refs lol just thought I brought up that phoenix vs spurs series with the bogus ref job.

1999 a young 23 year old tim duncan got the spurs their first championship in a short season just like young 23 year old Kevin Durant will do. It just so happens the Spurs was in his way :lol

Legacy
06-07-2012, 10:51 PM
lol of course the league is rigged :rollin. However, games,3,4 and 5 we won fair and square. Game 6 was a a mixture of good offense and refs lol just thought I brought up that phoenix vs spurs series with the bogus ref job.

1999 a young 23 year old tim duncan got the spurs their first championship in a short season just like Kevin Durant will do. It just so happens the Spurs was in his way :lol

Much appreciated. Class act. :lol :tu

Spurs9
06-07-2012, 10:56 PM
It's rigged EXCEPT when the Spurs win. That's the claim. Do you realize how lame that claim is? Well Stern can't do it all the time. That'd be too obvious. He has to lay off some. And lo and behold wouldn't you know it the years he doesn't rig it the mighty Spurs win! This is because during those years there were no stars Stern was trying to promote on other teams.

I never said it was only rigged when Spurs lose, for all I know some of the past games that were critical to the Spurs winning could have been rigged. It all depends on whats on Sterns agenda. This year he wants OKC and Miami

z0sa
06-07-2012, 10:59 PM
i gotta tl;dr this one as well

3/10

thunderfan
06-08-2012, 07:28 AM
I never said it was only rigged when Spurs lose, for all I know some of the past games that were critical to the Spurs winning could have been rigged. It all depends on whats on Sterns agenda. This year he wants OKC and Miami

I know, sorry. I kind of said that in regard to whatever someone else here kept saying in some other threads, so I wasn't really directing it at you. I assumed he would read it. ANyways, I said in another thread in response to the NBA being rigged (to this guy) - so you're saying those Spurs titles were assisted by Stern too? He was like...well no man, we won all 4 of ours straight up. The refs let them play unimpeded. During those years, there was no star on any other team that Stern had an incentive to promote. I'll admit to the bad calls in game 6. A few were bad, a few were borderline that just went OKC's way. But I do not subscribe to the NBA being rigged.

thunderfan
06-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Back in 07, Spurs swept Cleveland. Seems Stern would have wanted to get another game in there, make it a little more interesting. The world surely wanted to see Lebron on that big stage and so did those who would profit from it. So why no fix? Would've made perfect sense to me - if in fact you subscribe to this conspiracy crap.

K-State Spur
06-08-2012, 07:39 AM
No reasonable person is arguing that the fix was in. For the nation's 45th TV market? That's ridiculous.

Skewed 2nd half calls in a game where the margin of error was tiny - yeah that happened.

I think most Spurs fans agree the better team moved on - just would have liked to have seen it happen a bit more legit down the stretch.

sammy
06-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Someone is a little defensive, speaks the one with the big ass * with refs hanging onto it! LOL! Lebroom is going to win it all! It's being setup right now as we speak! LOL!

TXstbobcat
06-08-2012, 09:35 AM
No reasonable person is arguing that the fix was in. For the nation's 45th TV market? That's ridiculous.

Skewed 2nd half calls in a game where the margin of error was tiny - yeah that happened.

I think most Spurs fans agree the better team moved on - just would have liked to have seen it happen a bit more legit down the stretch.

If the fix was in, I would think that Stern would have tried to ensure a Heat vs. Lakers finals. There was no David Stern conspiracy against the spurs. The thunder earned that series.

xellos88330
06-08-2012, 09:44 AM

Last I checked...

LA Lakers: 41-25
Dallas Mavericks: 30-28

Combined record of Thunder playoff Opponents through 2 rounds: 71-53

LA Clippers: 40-26
Utah Jazz: 30-28

Combined record of Spurs playoff Opponents through 2 rounds: 70-54

I don't see that much difference.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think the league was rigged. What you are seeing here through most of the complaining is a fan base that feels cheated. Flip the story around and say the Thunder lost to the Spurs on a similar ELIMINATION game, and describe what you would feel. If you can tell me that you wouldn't feel angry or cheated, I will call you a fucking liar on not a fan of the game at all. The Spurs franchise is easily one of the most successful franchises in professional sports and one would think they would have at least some degree of respect from the NBA officiating. I am not saying make every call against their opponent, but at least make the same calls on both ends. The referees lacked any sort of consistency in the second half of game 6. What was called in favor for the Thunder, wasn't a call for the Spurs. That is all any true fan of sports wants from a game. Is letting the team decide who wins.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-08-2012, 09:46 AM

u obviously never going to get any respect in these forums - im going to be lol'ing when you get destroyed in the finals - hopefully you will show up again

please dont hide in the darkest corners of the world

btw, we already know who you are - your tweeting is killing you

thispego
06-08-2012, 09:49 AM
It's funny how much it hurts thunder fans that the majority of people know their advancement to the finals is rigged. Damn the league for being so blatant and obvious!

sammy
06-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Last I checked...

LA Lakers: 41-25
Dallas Mavericks: 30-28

Combined record of Thunder playoff Opponents through 2 rounds: 71-53

LA Clippers: 40-26
Utah Jazz: 30-28

Combined record of Spurs playoff Opponents through 2 rounds: 70-54

I don't see that much difference.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think the league was rigged. What you are seeing here through most of the complaining is a fan base that feels cheated. Flip the story around and say the Thunder lost to the Spurs on a similar ELIMINATION game, and describe what you would feel. If you can tell me that you wouldn't feel angry or cheated, I will call you a fucking liar on not a fan of the game at all. The Spurs franchise is easily one of the most successful franchises in professional sports and one would think they would have at least some degree of respect from the NBA officiating. I am not saying make every call against their opponent, but at least make the same calls on both ends. The referees lacked any sort of consistency in the second half of game 6. What was called in favor for the Thunder, wasn't a call for the Spurs. That is all any true fan of sports wants from a game. Is letting the team decide who wins.

I agree with this post! We will never know as the refs cheated us out of a good game! I would've liked to see it WCF go 7 and see the better team win, but alas we will never know thanks to the refs! Call the game fair both ways but I hate this one-sided shit that happens in the 2nd half and gave the game to OKC! I do believe in this case it was rigged as the league wanted its Darlings OKC & Miami in the Finals. They are going to screw Boston out and make sure their darlings are in! I won't watch this travesty of the NBA which is being manipulated and tarnished by Stern!:bang

thispego
06-08-2012, 10:04 AM
how could yall possibly think the league is not rigged? yall are not very smart if you're not able to see this. :rolleyes

thispego
06-08-2012, 10:18 AM
http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/disgraced-nba-ref-spills-beans-about

"It has become increasingly clear over the years that NBA officials are corrupt, but not in the usual way; they call games badly at times that are convenient most of all for the NBA, when it wants certain marketable matchups in the playoffs. They are also corrupt in that they clearly make calls based on grudges they hold, and their egos have become the most dominating force on the court.

Anyone who was watching Michael Jordan's rise as the league's premier superstar knows that, in addition to prodigious talent, Jordan was also blessed with a league that stood to gain even more by elevating his stature, and thus with taking it easy on him when it came to officiating.

I was a 12-year season ticket holder to NBA games, and have watched hundreds of NBA games live over the years, and even more on TV. And the process Donaghy describes -- wherein officials decide ahead of time to ameliorate fouls against league stars whenever possible, while simultaneously targeting both players and coaches they deem to be a threat to the officiating crews' supremacy on the court -- was fairly self-evident to anyone who watched many games.

The officials are just symptomatic of the larger problem of the NBA game generally: team play — which is really where the beauty of the game emerges — has for years been sublimated to talent. Michael Jordan in effect ruined the NBA, so that now all that fans root for is that somehow their team can draft or somehow nab the league’s next great talent. Defense is an afterthought in the NBA, and the pick-and-roll is about as team-oriented as you get on offense. The college game — though its players are inferior — is far superior from the standpoint of the game itself.

But the NBA's biggest problem is that it is based on a hoax: It pretends that its games are real competitions honestly officiated, but NBA officials openly control the pace and flow of games and often their outcomes. It also pretends that it's part of the communities in which teams play, but it's willing to rip teams out of those communities if they aren't willing to spend taxpayer dollars lining the pockets of owners. All of that is deeply corrupt.

I thought the NBA's denial to Van Susteren was interesting: It simply insisted that there was no criminal wrongdoing in its operations.

Which is probably true. But there's nothing criminal about the WWF or other wrestling operations, either. That doesn't alter the fact that they're essentially scams, though.

And the NBA these days resembles nothing so much as a hyped-up wrestling scam that still likes to clothe itself in the mantle of being an objectively officiated sport. It's not. And anyone who's watched the game much in the past 20 years can tell you that.

It's tragic, really: Basketball players are the greatest pure all-around athletes in the world, IMHO. And the best of them play in the NBA -- which has become a dysfunctional carnival scam, predicated on raking in as much dough as possible, while the game itself is just a sideshow, a platform for promoting media stars.

Full disclosure: I was a lifetime Sonics fan. And still bitter about it."

06-08-2012, 10:26 AM
the bitter spur fans are just the same ones that arrogantly predicted a sweep of the thunder. the same ones that already anointed the spurs champions of the west before they played a single game in the WCF. they are probably the same fans as last year who gave no second thought to the grizzlies and believed that the spurs will have no problem steamrolling them.

clambake
06-08-2012, 10:30 AM
the only legitimate titles belong to the spurs.

all the others were rigged.

thispego
06-08-2012, 10:31 AM
the only legitimate titles belong to the spurs.

all the others were rigged.

I never said that

DMC
06-08-2012, 10:36 AM
It's like a Hollywood script, but it also shows the lack of parity in the league when the playoff teams from 1 to 4 were the champs for the past 13 years or so.

Dallas/LA/SA/Miami

Boston in the ECF, they won it all in 2008. Only Detroit has dropped out.

DMC
06-08-2012, 10:38 AM
The officiating in no way taints OKC's sweep.

OKC is playing some of the best basketball I've ever seen.

thispego
06-08-2012, 10:39 AM
The Real Story of Tim Donaghy & the NBA

...But it wasn’t until Donahgy was in federal custody that things really got interesting. In order to save himself some prison time, Donaghy began singing like a canary to the feds. NBA Commission David Stern would repeated berate the point that no one should believe Donaghy’s claims as he was simply saying things to potentially lower his sentence. Stern said that Donaghy had no credibility.

This brings up two important points. Number one: Donaghy was indeed trying to spend as little time in jail as possible. Who wouldn’t? But he could not, and even dare not, make up stories to tell the feds to do this. With the federal conviction rate running at about 95%, any such lies are going to be ferreted out and extra time added to the resultant sentence. A rational person does not lie when in federal custody.

What Donaghy was doing was not any different than what happens when mafia figures are arrested by the feds. Often, they rat out their former compatriots to save themselves. The FBI does not look down upon, or disbelieve, these stories. No, what they are told leads to further investigations and hopefully, further arrests. It’s standard operating procedure. So Donaghy’s behavior was quite typical for one involved in such a situation.

Point number two: Commissioner Stern knocking Donaghy’s credibility. This is laughable to say the least. It was the NBA that hired Donaghy despite numerous background checks. It was the NBA that let Donaghy officiate their highly sought after playoff games, even though they continually monitored his on- and off-the-court actions. It was the NBA that employed Donaghy for 13 years - and potentially more had the FBI not arrested him. It is the NBA that has an entire security division employed to monitor players, team officials, and referees in an attempt to stem any such criminal behavior. Yet the NBA did not catch Donaghy. In fact, his arrest came as a shock to the league. So who is lacking more credibility? Donaghy, or the league that employed – and would’ve continued to employ – him?

Before you answer that question, consider what Donaghy ultimately told the feds: That the NBA routinely instructed its referees to alter the outcomes of its games. Or, to put it more simply, the NBA is fixed.

This is something the entire sports reporting world has glossed over and intentionally ignored. If Donaghy is telling the truth in his dealings with the feds – and there is no indication forthcoming from anyone not in the NBA saying otherwise – then what you believe to be honest and fairly played NBA games is a joke.

Donaghy made the same argument this author has been making for years: The NBA fixed its own games to garner better television ratings and thus make more money for both itself and the networks that basically fund the sport. Referees were instructed to avoid calling fouls on “star” players, ignore or strictly enforce rules as the situation calls for, and ultimately, alter the outcomes of certain key games should the need arise.

Why this story will die on the vine is simple. No sports reporter will follow up on it because their livelihood is directly tied to the end result (for if one league is crooked, chances are others are just as fixed as the NBA may be).

The networks won’t touch the story as they, too, have fortunes tied to pro sports and cannot have the truth revealed.

And, perhaps most importantly, the FBI won’t investigate further because no crime is being committed.

The NBA, and every other pro sports league, can intentionally fix the outcomes of their games without committing a crime. It is not illegal. Fixing a game for gambling purposes is, yet doing the same for entertainment purposes is not.

So the only “investigation” the sports fan gets in response to Tim Donaghy’s case is the NBA’s own Pedowitz Report (read it for yourself here). Released on October 1, 2008 the report reads exactly like every other league mandated report that came before it (with the exception of MLB’s Mitchell Report on steroids which had to name names if baseball wanted to maintain a shred of what’s left of its dignity). The report’s findings? Donaghy acted alone. Other referees may have broken the league’s collective bargaining agreement by gambling, but none did so illegally. And, surprise surprise, Donaghy’s lying when he claims the NBA calls on its referees to do its dirty work and fix games.

What’s interesting about the Pedowitz Report is that it was really put together, by its own admission, as a “compliance review” and not an investigation into Donaghy. It does cover Donaghy’s allegations – and dismisses every one of them, of course – but that was not the report’s primary concern. The report was initiated to figure out a way to stop any future Tim Donaghys from occurring. Yet the NBA and their cohorts in the gambling world told us that they already had such a foolproof system in place. But the truth is, they could not – and still cannot – stop players, coaches, or referees from gambling and potentially fixing games if they so desire. (Never mind the fact that the NBA could be calling on them to do just that for their own purposes).

So as Donaghy sits in prison for the next 15 months refusing to speak to anyone about his past or the allegations he leveled against his former employer, the NBA revs itself up for another season. The question fans need to ask is: who do you believe? The NBA or Donaghy? There very well may be some gray area of truth between both sides’ stories, but the needle on the gauge will swing more to one side’s case than the other’s.

I, for one, believe Donaghy. Not simply because he’s touting what I already believed, but because if he was lying, the FBI and the federal courts would have added on to his prison time rather than shortening his sentence as they ultimately did. The FBI itself will currently not discuss this case, and they would not give full access to the writers of the Pedowitz Report because they are still investigating certain aspects of it. As much as the NBA wants it to end, this story will not cease until the feds say so.

But the final call has to be up to the fan. Do you believe the NBA? Can you trust it? Or has Donaghy, both through his actions and allegations, soured you on a league that, to this author, cannot be trusted?

Just remember this when you contemplate what Tim Donaghy revealed about the inner workings of the NBA: Had the FBI not arrested him, Donaghy would still be officiating in the NBA today.

UPDATE: Donaghy was attacked and beaten in prison by an alledged mafia member in November 2008. Read more about this and discover what it may mean in my Bleacher Report article.

What should perhaps scare you even more if you are an NBA fan is to consider the following:

NBA Commissioner David Stern’s stated plan for marketing the league is “the marketing of heroes.” Which makes sense. When he became the commissioner, the NBA lived and died with the likes of Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Julius "Dr. J" Erving. And in the first NBA draft he oversaw, Stern welcomed Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Michael Jordan into the league. What’s remarkable is that Stern’s mission statement has become the key to putting together a championship team.

From the 1990-91 season through the 2009-10 season, three of the NBA’s brightest stars during that time - the group of Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, and Kobe Bryant - have been responsible for 15 of the last 20 NBA championships. Of those five NBA Finals not won by any of those three players, Bryant still appeared in two of those contests (against Detroit in ‘03-‘04 and Boston in ’07-’08) which resulted in losses, meaning that 17 of the last 20 NBA Finals featured either Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, or Kobe Bryant. No other sport can brag of such a run.

Rising star Dwayne Wade, while partnered with Shaquille O’Neal, also grabbed a championship during this time span, making the total 16 out of 20 (and one could make the argument that the total should be 18 out of 20 championships because two more were won by NBA legend Hakeem Olajuwon during Jordan’s original retirement years). This points to one of two conclusions. Either NBA basketball isn’t a team sport but one easily dominated by a single great player, or something else is in fact occurring within the league.

Is it merely a coincidence that the NBA’s marketing plan of choice is to promote their “heroes” above all else, while at the same time these handful of heroes consistently lead their teams to championship after championship? Other modern day players deemed exceptional – Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Vince Carter, Allen Iverson, Chris Webber, and Patrick Ewing to name a few – have seen some limited success, but never achieved the pinnacle of winning a championship. At the same time, they were never given the level of promotion that Jordan and Bryant ever received (Duncan, for all his success, has never been seen as a marketable personality).

The question then remains, does the NBA grant these “hero” players extra leeway on the court to ensure they reach the levels of success the NBA itself needs to be profitable? As the authors wrote in Money Players, “[NBA Commissioner] Stern refused to admit it, but the NBA lived year to year, crossing its fingers for the right rating matchups. It seemed the whole world had grown accustomed to the NBA’s being able to deliver new episodes of Star Wars every season.”

It can be amazing how luck runs the NBA’s way. While already on a steady decline, the 2006-07 NBA Finals garnered some of the worst ratings in league history. Yet in the ensuing offseason, the league signed its most lucrative contract with the TV networks to date, bringing the league nearly $1 billion a season. What happened the very next season?

The NBA was “blessed” with the dream match-up of the Boston Celtics against the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2007-08 NBA Finals. Was this just good luck on the NBA’s part? With the help of key acquisitions – such as Kevin Garnett landing in Boston, and Pau Gasol being traded to the Lakers (while Kobe Bryant, who demanded a trade prior to the season starting because he saw no hope of the Lakers that year, remained with the team) – both franchises received massive boosts to their rosters. Of course, both teams easily made the playoffs. Then their magic really began to take shape.

Both teams march to the Finals brought in massive ratings as ESPN’s numbers were up some 35% and ABC’s were up 28% according to Broadcasting & Cable magazine which cited Neilsen Media Research. Upon reaching the Conference Finals, the match-ups of the Lakers vs. the Spurs and the Celtics against the Pistons kicked ratings up 40% over the year before. Then, when both the Lakers and Celtics triumphed, the NBA had its dream match-up with its two most honored franchises meeting up face to face. Not only did the league benefit from having both the East and West Coasts covered, they had the two teams with the biggest fan followings playing each other. Top that off with the hype of the storied rivalry between the teams and what did you get? The ’07-’08 Finals saw a ratings boost of nearly 45% from just a year ago. What better way to make good on that $1 billion a year TV revenue contract than to bring your broadcasting partners the highest ratings in recent memory.

Was that luck, coincidence, or something else?

--By Brian Tuohy

thispego
06-08-2012, 10:40 AM
The officiating in no way taints OKC's sweep.

OKC is playing some of the best basketball I've ever seen.

:lmao

you're a sheep, bro

clambake
06-08-2012, 10:43 AM
i'm just glad i saw the only 4 legitimate titles.

DieHardSpursFan1537
06-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Congrats your team won the Western Confrence Finals. You don't need to be an ornery bitch about it.

IwantSomeNsty
06-08-2012, 11:53 AM
dude refs gave you a trip to Finals. Just enjoy it.

GritandGrind
06-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Last year Injury.
This year refs.

Stop making Excuses and take the lost stop crying.
Also to the thunder fan they will never give you credit so don't waste your time.
-Grizzlie fan.

TXstbobcat
06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Last year Injury.
This year refs.

Also to the thunder fan they will never give you credit so don't waste your time.
-Grizzlie fan.

I give the Thunder credit for taking this series. They deserve it.

As far as last year. I was impressed by the Grizz taking my spurs out. I'm not making excuses for either series.

thispego
06-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Last year Injury.
This year refs.

-Grizzlie fan.

grizz were waaaaaaay better than spurs last year. i think gay made them worse this year. loss of battier and vasquez hurt too

Horse
06-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Oh bullshit the bad calls started in the 3rd. The end of game 4 and 5 were not much better. Tell me against a team that shoots 95% from the line, when the refs put them in the penalty 4 minutes into the 4th how can you possibly win. Especially when they start calling every ticky tack foul for okc, none for us. I've never seen a screwjob more evident, not even when they screwed sacramento in 2002 or portland in 2000. And Pop referred to a hollywood script but then stopped short of saying, what he was thinking. It was more of a WWE script.

cd98
06-08-2012, 12:35 PM
NBA isn't fixed, but the refs taking over a game needs to be fixed.

Horse
06-08-2012, 12:41 PM
The Real Story of Tim Donaghy & the NBA

...But it wasn’t until Donahgy was in federal custody that things really got interesting. In order to save himself some prison time, Donaghy began singing like a canary to the feds. NBA Commission David Stern would repeated berate the point that no one should believe Donaghy’s claims as he was simply saying things to potentially lower his sentence. Stern said that Donaghy had no credibility.

This brings up two important points. Number one: Donaghy was indeed trying to spend as little time in jail as possible. Who wouldn’t? But he could not, and even dare not, make up stories to tell the feds to do this. With the federal conviction rate running at about 95%, any such lies are going to be ferreted out and extra time added to the resultant sentence. A rational person does not lie when in federal custody.

What Donaghy was doing was not any different than what happens when mafia figures are arrested by the feds. Often, they rat out their former compatriots to save themselves. The FBI does not look down upon, or disbelieve, these stories. No, what they are told leads to further investigations and hopefully, further arrests. It’s standard operating procedure. So Donaghy’s behavior was quite typical for one involved in such a situation.

Point number two: Commissioner Stern knocking Donaghy’s credibility. This is laughable to say the least. It was the NBA that hired Donaghy despite numerous background checks. It was the NBA that let Donaghy officiate their highly sought after playoff games, even though they continually monitored his on- and off-the-court actions. It was the NBA that employed Donaghy for 13 years - and potentially more had the FBI not arrested him. It is the NBA that has an entire security division employed to monitor players, team officials, and referees in an attempt to stem any such criminal behavior. Yet the NBA did not catch Donaghy. In fact, his arrest came as a shock to the league. So who is lacking more credibility? Donaghy, or the league that employed – and would’ve continued to employ – him?

Before you answer that question, consider what Donaghy ultimately told the feds: That the NBA routinely instructed its referees to alter the outcomes of its games. Or, to put it more simply, the NBA is fixed.

This is something the entire sports reporting world has glossed over and intentionally ignored. If Donaghy is telling the truth in his dealings with the feds – and there is no indication forthcoming from anyone not in the NBA saying otherwise – then what you believe to be honest and fairly played NBA games is a joke.

Donaghy made the same argument this author has been making for years: The NBA fixed its own games to garner better television ratings and thus make more money for both itself and the networks that basically fund the sport. Referees were instructed to avoid calling fouls on “star” players, ignore or strictly enforce rules as the situation calls for, and ultimately, alter the outcomes of certain key games should the need arise.

Why this story will die on the vine is simple. No sports reporter will follow up on it because their livelihood is directly tied to the end result (for if one league is crooked, chances are others are just as fixed as the NBA may be).

The networks won’t touch the story as they, too, have fortunes tied to pro sports and cannot have the truth revealed.

And, perhaps most importantly, the FBI won’t investigate further because no crime is being committed.

The NBA, and every other pro sports league, can intentionally fix the outcomes of their games without committing a crime. It is not illegal. Fixing a game for gambling purposes is, yet doing the same for entertainment purposes is not.

So the only “investigation” the sports fan gets in response to Tim Donaghy’s case is the NBA’s own Pedowitz Report (read it for yourself here). Released on October 1, 2008 the report reads exactly like every other league mandated report that came before it (with the exception of MLB’s Mitchell Report on steroids which had to name names if baseball wanted to maintain a shred of what’s left of its dignity). The report’s findings? Donaghy acted alone. Other referees may have broken the league’s collective bargaining agreement by gambling, but none did so illegally. And, surprise surprise, Donaghy’s lying when he claims the NBA calls on its referees to do its dirty work and fix games.

What’s interesting about the Pedowitz Report is that it was really put together, by its own admission, as a “compliance review” and not an investigation into Donaghy. It does cover Donaghy’s allegations – and dismisses every one of them, of course – but that was not the report’s primary concern. The report was initiated to figure out a way to stop any future Tim Donaghys from occurring. Yet the NBA and their cohorts in the gambling world told us that they already had such a foolproof system in place. But the truth is, they could not – and still cannot – stop players, coaches, or referees from gambling and potentially fixing games if they so desire. (Never mind the fact that the NBA could be calling on them to do just that for their own purposes).

So as Donaghy sits in prison for the next 15 months refusing to speak to anyone about his past or the allegations he leveled against his former employer, the NBA revs itself up for another season. The question fans need to ask is: who do you believe? The NBA or Donaghy? There very well may be some gray area of truth between both sides’ stories, but the needle on the gauge will swing more to one side’s case than the other’s.

I, for one, believe Donaghy. Not simply because he’s touting what I already believed, but because if he was lying, the FBI and the federal courts would have added on to his prison time rather than shortening his sentence as they ultimately did. The FBI itself will currently not discuss this case, and they would not give full access to the writers of the Pedowitz Report because they are still investigating certain aspects of it. As much as the NBA wants it to end, this story will not cease until the feds say so.

But the final call has to be up to the fan. Do you believe the NBA? Can you trust it? Or has Donaghy, both through his actions and allegations, soured you on a league that, to this author, cannot be trusted?

Just remember this when you contemplate what Tim Donaghy revealed about the inner workings of the NBA: Had the FBI not arrested him, Donaghy would still be officiating in the NBA today.

UPDATE: Donaghy was attacked and beaten in prison by an alledged mafia member in November 2008. Read more about this and discover what it may mean in my Bleacher Report article.

What should perhaps scare you even more if you are an NBA fan is to consider the following:

NBA Commissioner David Stern’s stated plan for marketing the league is “the marketing of heroes.” Which makes sense. When he became the commissioner, the NBA lived and died with the likes of Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Julius "Dr. J" Erving. And in the first NBA draft he oversaw, Stern welcomed Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Michael Jordan into the league. What’s remarkable is that Stern’s mission statement has become the key to putting together a championship team.

From the 1990-91 season through the 2009-10 season, three of the NBA’s brightest stars during that time - the group of Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, and Kobe Bryant - have been responsible for 15 of the last 20 NBA championships. Of those five NBA Finals not won by any of those three players, Bryant still appeared in two of those contests (against Detroit in ‘03-‘04 and Boston in ’07-’08) which resulted in losses, meaning that 17 of the last 20 NBA Finals featured either Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, or Kobe Bryant. No other sport can brag of such a run.

Rising star Dwayne Wade, while partnered with Shaquille O’Neal, also grabbed a championship during this time span, making the total 16 out of 20 (and one could make the argument that the total should be 18 out of 20 championships because two more were won by NBA legend Hakeem Olajuwon during Jordan’s original retirement years). This points to one of two conclusions. Either NBA basketball isn’t a team sport but one easily dominated by a single great player, or something else is in fact occurring within the league.

Is it merely a coincidence that the NBA’s marketing plan of choice is to promote their “heroes” above all else, while at the same time these handful of heroes consistently lead their teams to championship after championship? Other modern day players deemed exceptional – Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Vince Carter, Allen Iverson, Chris Webber, and Patrick Ewing to name a few – have seen some limited success, but never achieved the pinnacle of winning a championship. At the same time, they were never given the level of promotion that Jordan and Bryant ever received (Duncan, for all his success, has never been seen as a marketable personality).

The question then remains, does the NBA grant these “hero” players extra leeway on the court to ensure they reach the levels of success the NBA itself needs to be profitable? As the authors wrote in Money Players, “[NBA Commissioner] Stern refused to admit it, but the NBA lived year to year, crossing its fingers for the right rating matchups. It seemed the whole world had grown accustomed to the NBA’s being able to deliver new episodes of Star Wars every season.”

It can be amazing how luck runs the NBA’s way. While already on a steady decline, the 2006-07 NBA Finals garnered some of the worst ratings in league history. Yet in the ensuing offseason, the league signed its most lucrative contract with the TV networks to date, bringing the league nearly $1 billion a season. What happened the very next season?

The NBA was “blessed” with the dream match-up of the Boston Celtics against the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2007-08 NBA Finals. Was this just good luck on the NBA’s part? With the help of key acquisitions – such as Kevin Garnett landing in Boston, and Pau Gasol being traded to the Lakers (while Kobe Bryant, who demanded a trade prior to the season starting because he saw no hope of the Lakers that year, remained with the team) – both franchises received massive boosts to their rosters. Of course, both teams easily made the playoffs. Then their magic really began to take shape.

Both teams march to the Finals brought in massive ratings as ESPN’s numbers were up some 35% and ABC’s were up 28% according to Broadcasting & Cable magazine which cited Neilsen Media Research. Upon reaching the Conference Finals, the match-ups of the Lakers vs. the Spurs and the Celtics against the Pistons kicked ratings up 40% over the year before. Then, when both the Lakers and Celtics triumphed, the NBA had its dream match-up with its two most honored franchises meeting up face to face. Not only did the league benefit from having both the East and West Coasts covered, they had the two teams with the biggest fan followings playing each other. Top that off with the hype of the storied rivalry between the teams and what did you get? The ’07-’08 Finals saw a ratings boost of nearly 45% from just a year ago. What better way to make good on that $1 billion a year TV revenue contract than to bring your broadcasting partners the highest ratings in recent memory.

Was that luck, coincidence, or something else?

--By Brian Tuohy
This is why in 2008 with Manu already hurt the Spurs had to sleep on a plane in new orleans while the lakers were comfortable in beds. Okc is good enough to beat us, but we will never really know. No one can say they pounded us, 4 of the six games were decided in the final minutes. And the officials absolutley robbed us in game six. So maybe we'll get a fair shake next season. Probably not but hopefully.

thispego
06-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Nba = rigged

alamo50
06-09-2012, 02:07 AM
Good luck vs. LeBron KD!

temujin
06-09-2012, 03:14 AM
I feel sorry .....

I fell sorry for gullible idiots, who are going to get fucked by the Sterns of this world in real life.

Enjoy the "questionable calls for James" of the Finals.

Horse
06-09-2012, 08:21 AM
It shows how damn good our title teams were. We must've been that much better than the league to overcome stern and the competition.

TampaDude
06-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Just wait...all the OKC fans will be whining soon when they see Miami get all the calls in the Finals. It's gonna be funny to watch. :lol

rascal
06-09-2012, 11:05 AM
I have to agree. Most spur fans are pathetic on this board.

If is isn't the injury excuses it is the ref excuses. How about the team was not good enough and just got beat by a better team. Or the roster had deficiencies from the start that became exposed in a particular series.

rascal
06-09-2012, 11:08 AM
I never said that

If the NBA was rigged how could the Spurs make 4 trips to the finals and title each time?

rascal
06-09-2012, 11:11 AM
the truth is refs will miss calls at times and sometimes those calls will go against the team you are rooting for. If you win the refs calls are no longer important. If you lose the ref calls are an excuse/reason for the loss.

Had the Spurs won, this thread and all those crying about the refs now would not be saying much about the refs.

smaka
06-09-2012, 11:19 AM
this dude makes it hard to root for the Thunder , quit your shit bitch.

exactly

fuk yo team clown

Legacy
06-09-2012, 11:31 AM
If the NBA was rigged how could the Spurs make 4 trips to the finals and title each time?

By beating the system and overcoming the odds. It's a great feeling. I almost died when I was serving my country when I did it, and my life was hanging by a thin thread for many, many years afterwards... but it can certainly be accomplished. I'll never stop fighting for what I believe in. ... And not only will I continue to survive... but I'll definitely continue to THRIVE. :hat

Brazil
06-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Just wait...all the OKC fans will be whining soon when they see Miami get all the calls in the Finals. It's gonna be funny to watch. :lol

like op is a real OKC fan :lol

Spur|n|Austin
06-09-2012, 06:54 PM

Do they teach grammar in Oklahoma?

Manudona
06-09-2012, 07:17 PM

Do you remember 1, just one game that the Spurs won thanks to the official blatant calls favouring them in one of their championship runs? And I do not mean a random call that could have gone both ways but one where the officials made at least a couple of terrible calls that helped the Spurs in any way in a close match

rascal
06-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Do you remember 1, just one game that the Spurs won thanks to the official blatant calls favouring them in one of their championship runs? And I do not mean a random call that could have gone both ways but one where the officials made at least a couple of terrible calls that helped the Spurs in any way in a close match

I don't pay attention to ref calls one way or another. So Stern/the NBA instructs the refs to make calls against the Spurs? Is that what you are claiming?

If you watched the game with an unbiased opinion you could clearly see the Spurs were outplayed by OK City starting in game 3.

The_Worlds_finest
06-09-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't pay attention to ref calls one way or another. So Stern/the NBA instructs the refs to make calls against the Spurs? Is that what you are claiming?

If you watched the game with an unbiased opinion you could clearly see the Spurs were outplayed by OK City starting in game 3.

Its eerie that the calls were not consistent thus not allowing the Spurs to compete

Manudona
06-09-2012, 09:58 PM

Well, I am sure the officials fucked the Spurs in 2006 and 2012, if that is organized or not, how the hell would I know? But I can watch games and I can see when calls are not call fair, ie: when similar plays are called or not called against one team consistently (not sure if I am being clear here)

By your magnificent point of view, the Spurs should have not won the 2005 championship, as they were badly outplayed (far more outplayed by the Pistons than by the Thunder) so the officials should have been calling game 5 to favour Detroit, what kind of stupid argument is that?

Duncan2177
06-09-2012, 10:19 PM
^Hey fat girl nobody cares for you're opinion

Nice big sausage lips there in your pic buddy.

Legacy
06-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Nice big sausage lips there in your pic buddy.

I was only trying to give a true life and death analogy, dammit. :cry

SpurOutofTownFan
06-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by KDtrey5 View Post

I feel sorry for majority of you because 88% of you seem to think the league is rigged because we won 4 straight. You went against the Utah Jazz who was by the far weakest team in all the playoffs. After the Los Angeles Clippers who were damaged goods after the series they had with the Grizzles. Like coach Gregg Popovich said,"It's almost like a Hollywood script for OKC in a sense. ... Those three teams represent 10 of the last 13 championships, and now they're going to go to the finals and play either Boston or Miami, and that'll be 11 of the last 13 championships" The Thunder had by far the hardest road to get to the finals. Since the beginning of the season everyone knew we were going to finals after majority of the key players went unsigned in Dallas. Just because the Spurs had a 20 game winning streak doesn't really mean shit when 8 of them was from playoff teams who was just considered average. I know for a fact the Spurs wouldn't have swept the Lakers.Keep being bitter about your lost . The spurs should focus on getting players who don't choke a 2-0 lead. For some fans you guys sure are kick to blame the head coach and certain players when you guys knew you were going to eliminated.

for those of you who are crying about the league is rigged
look on the bright side atleast you lost to the 2012 nba champions

u obviously never going to get any respect in these forums - im going to be lol'ing when you get destroyed in the finals - hopefully you will show up again

please dont hide in the darkest corners of the world

btw, we already know who you are - your tweeting is killing you

/BUMP

Where are you you fucking noob? I told you I was coming back to lol at you, goddamn choker... choke in this big d..k you loser

you are a bigger loser than lakerfan or mavsfan - please tweet you are a goddamn idiot...

CubanMustGo
06-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Where you at, OP?
Last Activity: 06-17-2012 07:36 PMEasy to blow smoke out your ass when you're winning, not so much when you're not, eh?

Legacy
06-22-2012, 08:30 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/159/324/flash11752_Still-Waiting-on-OP.jpg

-21-
06-22-2012, 09:35 PM

You can go say this to yourself now!!!

Clipper Nation
06-22-2012, 09:41 PM
:lol Cocky ass Thunderfan
:lol Thunder choked even WITH the refs

BatManu20
06-22-2012, 11:16 PM

:lmao:lol:downspin::elephant:smokin:clap:violin:td :spin

racm
06-22-2012, 11:45 PM
OP probably went crying to his momma tbh

Horry For 3!
06-22-2012, 11:50 PM
LOL that guy is a lil bitch, I'm glad the Thunder lost just cause of fans like him. He was saying shit in the chat room one night.

SamoanTD
06-22-2012, 11:54 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/159/324/flash11752_Still-Waiting-on-OP.jpg

:lol

racm
06-23-2012, 12:00 AM
OP made like Harden: Disappeared when the going was tough.

jimo2305
06-25-2012, 08:11 PM
let it settle in..
QahZEXbnKwY
s4xQ698fJVY
j7Drk59GJno

Cow Eye
06-25-2012, 09:51 PM
http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/3/6/36cc5_ORIG-waiting_for_op.jpg

davidbowie
06-26-2012, 02:06 AM
bahahahahahaha BIIITTCHH!!!!!