PDA

View Full Version : Les Miserables

DeadlyDynasty
06-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Looks like it has the original ALW music, so should be pretty sweet. Weird to see Fantine played by Hathaway...thought it was an older role, tbh...Jackman and Crowe as Valjean and Javert look pretty well cast, though I thought Rush was perfect as him before.

EnLSG5t_dc8

Monsieur Thenardier
06-07-2012, 10:52 PM
fuk yo musical movie clown

jeebus
06-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Hathaway will forever be the whore who pussied out in "Havoc".

CubanSucks
06-08-2012, 12:43 AM
this looks terrible

you're either a film student or a pretentious douchebag if you think this looks good in the slightest

DeadlyDynasty
06-08-2012, 06:48 AM
this looks terrible

you're either a film student or a pretentious douchebag if you think this looks good in the slightest

There's no hobbits sucking off dwarves, so it probably ain't for you, b...

21_Dickings
06-08-2012, 07:29 AM

:lol

desflood
06-08-2012, 08:00 AM
this looks terrible

Don't be one of those ignorant assclowns who automatically assume anybody enjoying the one of the classics is pretentious.

Slomo
06-08-2012, 09:02 AM
this looks terrible

That's a very pretentious thing to say.

leemajors
06-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Maybe he's just not a Hugo fan :lol

SpurinDallas
06-08-2012, 10:12 AM

:rollin

mrsmaalox
06-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Trailer looks okay. I love the stage production and I liked the 90's film version, because of Geoffrey Rush. In this one I'm sure Jackman will nail it, but I just can't stand anything about Russel Crowe. We'll see.

Drachen
06-08-2012, 12:06 PM
I thought both the 90's version and the stage production are awesome. Hope this one lives up.

Summers
06-08-2012, 01:19 PM
My turn to be pretentious! :) I saw the musical on Broadway in the early 90s and it was fantastic! I'm pretty stoked about it being recreated on film.

CubanSucks
06-08-2012, 01:20 PM

Hobbits don't suck off dwarves, get your facts straight

how

CubanSucks
06-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Don't be one of those ignorant assclowns who automatically assume anybody enjoying the one of the classics is pretentious.

I'm not. I love classics. But this looks more boring than watching traffic lights change

Summers
06-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Hobbits don't suck off dwarves

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Drachen
06-08-2012, 01:26 PM
My turn to be pretentious! :) I saw the musical on Broadway in the early 90s and it was fantastic! I'm pretty stoked about it being recreated on film.

Did you see the one from 98? It was good. Liam Neeson as JVJ, and as has been discussed, geoffrey rush is javert.

Drachen
06-08-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm not. I love classics. But this looks more boring than watching traffic lights change

are you saying THIS particular incantation of LM? or LM in general?

desflood
06-08-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm going to go the extra step in pretension: I'm going to read the unabridged version, maybe in French, then when the movie comes out I'll complain about how the book was soooo much better.

Summers
06-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Did you see the one from 98? It was good. Liam Neeson as JVJ, and as has been discussed, geoffrey rush is javert.

Yeah, I thought the movie was good, but honestly, I missed the music. The score is beautiful and moving. I forgot to say Lea Salonga played Eponine when I saw it. I don't know if I spelled either of those names right. :lol

Summers
06-08-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm going to go the extra step in pretension: I'm going to read the unabridged version, maybe in French, then when the movie comes out I'll complain about how the book was soooo much better.

CubanSucks
06-08-2012, 01:32 PM
are you saying THIS particular incantation of LM? or LM in general?

I've never even heard of Les Miserables until now. I'm talking about this particular movie on its own

Summers
06-08-2012, 01:36 PM
I've never even heard of Les Miserables until now. I'm talking about this particular movie on its own

You can't be serious. Classic novel about the French Revolution. One of the best-selling Broadway musicals ever. Has toured non-stop for at least 30 years.

Drachen
06-08-2012, 01:36 PM

well I haven't seen it so I obviously cannot speak for THIS version of the movie, but LM is a great story. If they even do it half justice, this movie will be worth seeing.

Drachen
06-08-2012, 01:39 PM
You can't be serious. Classic novel about the French Revolution. One of the best-selling Broadway musicals ever. Has toured non-stop for at least 30 years.

Hate to swoop in in defense of CSucks, but though I saw it at the majestic in high school, my wife knew nothing about the story. In fact the first time I mentioned it she said "I think I recognize the name...". All that and I am the math/science/non-artsy person in the family.

This is where you say "our educational system sucks"

Summers
06-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Hate to swoop in in defense of CSucks, but though I saw it at the majestic in high school, my wife knew nothing about the story. In fact the first time I mentioned it she said "I think I recognize the name...". All that and I am the math/science/non-artsy person in the family.

:lol I plan to be personally responsible for fixing it, so no, I wasn't going to say that.

cantthinkofanything
06-08-2012, 01:41 PM

LMAO. Now that's pretentious. You can't condemn the education system because everyone hasn't heard of Les Miserables. Plenty of other reasons though...

Drachen
06-08-2012, 01:46 PM
LMAO. Now that's pretentious. You can't condemn the education system because everyone hasn't heard of Les Miserables. Plenty of other reasons though...

That's fine, I don't care if you call me pretentious, though I disagree with you, but as summer said, its a pretty popular story. (pretentious would be me saying something like "les mis is soooooo overdone, I prefer my art to be a little less popular. Did you see the one man show where Lance Hartley cans his own feces. It really speaks to me about how much time we waste on this earth. but.... youve probably never heard of him"

Disclaimer in case you were wondering: I made all of that up, I hope that no such show exists.

cantthinkofanything
06-08-2012, 01:52 PM
That's fine, I don't care if you call me pretentious, though I disagree with you, but as summer said, its a pretty popular story. (pretentious would be me saying something like "les mis is soooooo overdone, I prefer my art to be a little less popular. Did you see the one man show where Lance Hartley cans his own feces. It really speaks to me about how much time we waste on this earth. but.... youve probably never heard of him"

Disclaimer in case you were wondering: I made all of that up, I hope that no such show exists.

Yeah...the better word was probably "presumptuous". Idk. There are so many classics that not everyone is going to have read or be familiar with all of them. I never had to read it. But since my parents were from the age where it was more widely read in school, I was aware of it. Never read it though.

And now you've made me waste my time Googling "Lance Hartley feces" to no avail.

EDIT: LMAO. I was so excited, that I couldn't get to the end of your post without looking for it.

Drachen
06-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah...the better word was probably "presumptuous". Idk. There are so many classics that not everyone is going to have read or be familiar with all of them. I never had to read it. But since my parents were from the age where it was more widely read in school, I was aware of it. Never read it though.

And now you've made me waste my time Googling "Lance Hartley feces" to no avail.

EDIT: LMAO. I was so excited, that I couldn't get to the end of your post without looking for it.

I just literally laughed out loud. Awesome that I got you to do it. I wanted to make sure the name didn't sound made up. Good job to me. I hope your results werent' too disgusting.

cantthinkofanything
06-08-2012, 02:10 PM
I just literally laughed out loud. Awesome that I got you to do it. I wanted to make sure the name didn't sound made up. Good job to me. I hope your results werent' too disgusting.

It was a 50/50 mix of scientific links about feces and social network pages for people named Lance Hartley.

leemajors
06-08-2012, 02:33 PM

if it's anything like the unabridged version of Hunchback, there may be a 40 page diatribe about the architecture of Paris and its beauty.

Drachen
06-08-2012, 02:39 PM
if it's anything like the unabridged version of Hunchback, there may be a 40 page diatribe about the architecture of Paris and its beauty.

Shit, was that book written by Steinbeck? I swear the first 100 pages were to describe that damn valley in california before even introducing the first character.

leemajors
06-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Shit, was that book written by Steinbeck? I swear the first 100 pages were to describe that damn valley in california before even introducing the first character.

heh, it was written by the author of Les Miserables :toast

Drachen
06-08-2012, 02:49 PM
heh, it was written by the author of Les Miserables :toast

Well, that right there kills any claims to being pretentious that I have. LOL

I knew it wasn't written by Steinbeck, but didn't know it was written by Hugo.

Soul_Patch
06-09-2012, 04:14 PM

My wife and I saw it on stage in London back in 2005. We went and saw it again here in January at the Majestic. Absolutely love the music, and I am not even a huge musical fan, I just think this one is exceptional.

Soul_Patch
06-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Meant to add...I have been looking forward to this film for a while.

DeadlyDynasty
06-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Absolutely love the music, and I am not even a huge musical fan, I just think this one is exceptional.

This. I pretty much can't stand most musicals, but the music for this one has always been amazing. It just fits so perfectly with the production.

As I (and others here) have stated before, I'm glad the music is back for this version--although I do think the cast was exceptional for the nonmusical one--especially Geoffrey Rush as Javert. Uma Thurman was a good Fantine too, imo

Soul_Patch
06-09-2012, 04:39 PM
qsYnhVITf9E

Absolutely masterful...

Soul_Patch
06-09-2012, 04:40 PM
This. I pretty much can't stand most musicals, but the music for this one has always been amazing. It just fits so perfectly with the production.

As I (and others here) have stated before, I'm glad the music is back for this version--although I do think the cast was exceptional for the nonmusical one--especially Geoffrey Rush as Javert. Uma Thurman was a good Fantine too, imo

Yea, same here...I have tried to like other musicals, and I just cant...this one is like in an entirely new class...something about it never gets old to me. Now that I read this thread, Im stuck on youtube listening to the music again....

Summers
06-10-2012, 01:49 PM
qsYnhVITf9E

Absolutely masterful...

So good! This is the big tear-jerker for me:

CJnjcX8skXk

And I love the duet:

EhXsJjVdj1E