PDA

View Full Version : New route for GM's? (a.k.a. the french kiss)

mudyez
06-08-2012, 03:28 AM
Not saying the Spurs will do it, but wouldn't it be a nice idea to "take over" one of the better national teams?

We have Parker. we should resign Diaw. De Collo may join us too. Batum won't be cheap but its possible. Thats 4/5 of the starting lineup of France...and maybe one or two others (Roddy?, Pietrus?, Seraphin?, Turiaf?) wouldn't be to hard to get here.

With the way they play together and the time they spend training sessions together this could add up to more than the sum of its parts.

Its not like they can win a championship, but you could go in full france mode for a while especially when taking out Timmy, Manu, ect.
And I'm not saying, we should stupid headed go after every french player. It's more like: "Why take an italian player, if we can get a similar player from france?"

The Spurs alway are the first team to show the rest of the league new and inovativ ways of GM'ing. This may be the next one!

tesseractive
06-08-2012, 04:01 AM
Not saying the Spurs will do it, but wouldn't it be a nice idea to "take over" one of the better national teams?

We have Parker. we should resign Diaw. De Collo may join us too. Batum won't be cheap but its possible. Thats 4/5 of the starting lineup of France

De Colo is Parker's backup, so not really.

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2012, 04:06 AM
pls lord no, this is spurta not fkn france NT farmin in nba

mudyez
06-08-2012, 04:20 AM
De Colo is Parker's backup, so not really.

On the NT they also spend time on the court together (and yeah, playing De Collo as a two guard my not work in the NBA...at least not more than playing Neal there)

pad300
06-08-2012, 10:43 AM
I actually thought of if the Spurs should consider signing Mahinmi again. He's athletic, mobile/bouncy, not undersized, and experienced with our system. No jumpshot, but neither does Blair. For the vet min, I think he might be quite the get.

ginobili fan
06-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Nope the best french generation is closer to the end than the "new route".
besides no hope for De Colo too, I don't see him at an NBA level.

100%duncan
06-08-2012, 11:01 AM
:lolwtf:lol

The_Worlds_finest
06-08-2012, 11:23 AM
How about a defensive big that slams the ball instead of some underhanded layup?

The_Worlds_finest
06-08-2012, 12:33 PM
The idea of batum and kawhi on the court at the same time rings future and present.

Bruno
06-08-2012, 01:18 PM
If Spurs want to replicate a national team, they better try to do it with the Spanish one.

I don't think there are a lot to do regarding french players for Spurs. Batum and Noah aren't realistic targets. Even getting Seraphin wouldn't be easy after the very good end of the season he had with Wizards. Beaubois could be a nice addition after his failure with Dallas but Mavs won't trade with Spurs. Aside of them, the rest of the remaining french players aren't very good.

For the future, they are too some intriguing prospects with the best one being Rudy Gobert.

SamoanTD
06-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Glad your not the spurs GM.

mudyez
05-21-2023, 04:05 PM
Over ten years later I give this another try...not with the current national team but maybe with targetting french U20 prospects...starting with Bilal Coulibaly and Sidy Cissoko.

JPB
05-21-2023, 04:10 PM
You're more resilient than a cockroach, man. I agree on french U20 generation being interesting tho (Wemby, Rupert, Bilal...).

Ariel
05-21-2023, 04:50 PM
With the way they play together and the time they spend training sessions together this could add up to more than the sum of its parts.

Its not like they can win a championship, but you could go in full france mode for a while especially when taking out Timmy, Manu, ect.
And I'm not saying, we should stupid headed go after every french player. It's more like: "Why take an italian player, if we can get a similar player from france?"

The Spurs alway are the first team to show the rest of the league new and inovativ ways of GM'ing. This may be the next one!
First of all, talent is scarce and you don't get to chose where it comes from. You won't get to choose an equally talent player with your preferred nationality, so that's for starters.
Second, why would you try to emulate the French NT? It's one of the more underachieving teams in FIBA basketball, in terms of the talent at its disposal. Spain and Argentina have done way more with less.
The only way I see anything related to your proposal making sense, is using Wemby's inside knowledge and contacts to land better talent than otherwise possible, or perhaps getting him some minor piece just to make him comfortable (like the Bucks did with Giannis' brothers).
Other than that, it's not a very good idea IMO. Sorry.