PDA

View Full Version : Kobe returning to Germany for same procedure on knee

Bynum's grey hair
06-08-2012, 06:45 AM
HOOPSWORLD has learned that Kobe Bryant is preparing to take another trip to Germany to have another platelet-rich plasma therapy procedure on his right knee.

Last summer Bryant underwent the same procedure which seemed to rejuvenate his career, although the Los Angeles Lakers would ultimately lose in the second round to the NBA Finals-bound Oklahoma City Thunder.

The procedure involves taking some of Bryant’s own blood which is then put through a centrifuge to isolate platelets. That “platelet-rich plasma” is then then injected into the knee.

Kobe will need to stay off his knee for at least a week. A source close to the situation says Bryant may leave as early as this weekend, which will give him ample time to participate with Team USA in Las Vegas in July.
PRP therapy has become a popular treatment technique for some of the top athletes in the world including Tiger Woods and Alex Rodriguez. Bryant’s teammate Andrew Bynum is expected to have the same procedure in August.

Despite his age (34 in August), Kobe averaged 27.9 points per game this past season – his most since 2007/8, and second only to Kevin Durant’s 28.0.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/kobe-readying-for-german-knee-procedure

lefty
06-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Tosb

UZER
06-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Uh oh. Watch out stat fans.

Venti Quattro
06-08-2012, 09:12 AM
It's important that he follows it up, so good for him. Then he can catch a short flight to Poland for the Euros.

scanry
06-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Now that's reaching. You can't beat father time Kobe. You've had your run, so quit while you're at it.

Larry Bird & David Robinson were one of the few players to have quit when they still had some left in the tank. :toast

I think KG and TD should retire after this season. Kobe should follow them next season.

JamStone
06-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Now that's reaching. You can't beat father time Kobe. You've had your run, so quit while you're at it.

Larry Bird & David Robinson were one of the few players to have quit when they still had some left in the tank. :toast

I think KG and TD should retire after this season. Kobe should follow them next season.

Huh? David Robinson was 37 and had played like 3-4 years after injuries already zapped him of most of his athleticism. He had something left in the tank? He averaged less than 9 points his last season and was turning 38 in the summer? Lol.

pass1st
06-08-2012, 10:37 AM
It did help Kobe a little, I think the precedure is legit. Kobe is old all around, though. He's even older than his age suggests since he played out of high school.

Jodelo
06-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Had one of his best seasons shooting wise, so why not.

scanry
06-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Huh? David Robinson was 37 and had played like 3-4 years after injuries already zapped him of most of his athleticism. He had something left in the tank? He averaged less than 9 points his last season and was turning 38 in the summer? Lol.

Jam, DRob only played 13 yrs as a pro. He still anchored the defense in 2003 and i think we repeat if we had Robinson in 2004.

JamStone
06-08-2012, 11:02 AM
I know Robinson started his NBA career late because of his service. You're still talking about a guy who was about to be 38 dealing with multiple injuries who averaged 9 points his last season. But Kobe at 34 just having averaged 28 points a game this past season needs to quit? Robinson had something left in the tank but Kobe doesn't?

Think again about what you wrote. Think hard.

scanry
06-08-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm not saying Kobe doesn't have anything left in the tank. It's just that he's in his 16th season and it gets pretty bad watching an elite player on the decline ala Olajuwon and Shaq.

Duncan & Garnett have had their time and i think it's better for their legacies that they retire when they can still play at a high level.

Kobe can play for another year or two. But it'll be like watching Jordan play in 2001-2003.

Frenzy
06-08-2012, 03:43 PM
I think Robinson just had to work less....kobe has to work more,way more.

Spurs9
06-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Greg Oden will probably be right behind him on the plane.

ElNono
06-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Do they have one of those for shot selection? It looks like one of the side effects of that thing is that it turns you into Allen Iverson...

JamStone
06-08-2012, 05:42 PM
So Kobe was NOT a volume chucker before last season and until after that knee procedure???

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

cobbler
06-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Do they have one of those for shot selection? It looks like one of the side effects of that thing is that it turns you into Allen Iverson...

Kobe has always been a volume scorer with questionable shot selection that was brought up even in his very first season when he missed the 3's that ended the Lakers season.

:lol at your Kobe OBSESSION and "SHIT TAKES".

:lmao

LkrFan
06-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Bynum's going too. I wish would go now instead of August. Regardless, this procedure can help Bynum reach the next step. 18/12/2 is a good start. I'm expecting more from him (esp consistency wise).

Spur_Fanatic
06-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Bynum needs it or it's just a trend? :D

ElNono
06-08-2012, 08:14 PM
So Kobe was NOT a volume chucker before last season and until after that knee procedure???

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:lol it just seems to accelerate the process... he just posted his 3rd worst FG% of his career... the previous two were his first two seasons...

He also posted the highest FGA of his career per 36 min...

Kobe has always been a volume scorer with questionable shot selection that was brought up even in his very first season when he missed the 3's that ended the Lakers season.

I don't recall him being borderline Allen Iversion, tbh...

:lol obsessed
:lol wheelchair following me around
:lol more shit takes

Venti Quattro
06-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Cobbler, why don't you sign up for the treatment so that you don't have to walk around in a wheelchair anymore?

ElNono
06-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Cobbler, why don't you sign up for the treatment so that you don't have to walk around in a wheelchair anymore?

DPG: that makes no sense

Venti Quattro
06-08-2012, 08:38 PM

What a snobby thing to say. :rolleyes

cobbler
06-08-2012, 09:09 PM

Venti belittled by a moron. Ouuuuuuch!

Wheelchair smack, BRILLIANT!!!! Such weak minds by the obsessed. My inner grade school persona is so so hurt! Keep em coming!

ElNono
06-08-2012, 09:19 PM
What a snobby thing to say. :rolleyes

wheelchair smack :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

I'm not butthurt at all, even though I can't feel my butt! :lmao

I'm just polishing my 4 rings :toast

Venti Quattro
06-08-2012, 09:28 PM
wheelchair smack :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

I'm not butthurt at all, even though I can't feel my butt! :lmao

I'm just polishing my 4 rings :toast

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao 4 rings

I'm polishing my 16 rings right now, bitch! :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao 4 rings

You're definitely obsessed with my 16 rings. :toast

Well you can't get them because they're in my wheelchair. :toast

Monostradamus
06-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Jam, DRob only played 13 yrs as a pro. He still anchored the defense in 2003 and i think we repeat if we had Robinson in 2004.

This opinion is about as GNSF as it gets.

Old Man Kidd
06-08-2012, 10:18 PM
:lol had robinson played just one more year, he may have approached hakeem olajuwon levels of tosb tbh

HarlemWelch37
06-08-2012, 10:18 PM
:lol..

scanry
06-08-2012, 11:22 PM
:lol had robinson played just one more year, he may have approached hakeem olajuwon levels of tosb tbh

I think Drob's production dropped significantly after Duncan got drafted. You may be right, but the 2004 Spurs only needed defense and rebounding from Robinson and i think he'd have been alright.

Olajuwon on the other hand defined tosb and Shaq reached another level. I sincerely hope Duncan doesn't go that way. That's the reason why i'd rather players like Duncan and Garnett retire this off season. Kobe (and Dirk) still has another year or maybe two before he reaches tosb status, but his game was pretty ugly to watch this season.