PDA

View Full Version : Question about Duncan's New Contract

swaggerjackson
06-08-2012, 09:42 AM
I get the impression we won't be major players in this summer's free agent market. Duncan's contract is expiring, but we need to resign him and possibly some combination of Green, Neal, De Colo, Diaw, and Lorbek. But even with Duncan's contract coming off the books the Spurs are not well under cap. I think hoopshype says our salary commitments are already 48 million before any of these signings take place. What I am wondering is can we sign Duncan to a frontloaded contract where he receives most of his money next season. Then next summer his contract won't expire but we would get significant relief as it steps down to say 4 or 5 million, Ginobili's deal expires, and Jackson's deal expires. Then we would be in a great position to steal James Harden or preferably Ibaka. My question is, is it legal to have a contract structured in such a way that the the vast majority of the money comes in the first season? I was thinking a two year deal for say 15 million first year and 4 million the next (for example). Is this possible/likely?

TXstbobcat
06-08-2012, 09:45 AM
The spurs could sign him to a 2 year $20 Million deal with $13 Million for 2013 year and $7 Million for 2014 to help the salary cap for the 2014 season.

cd98
06-08-2012, 10:19 AM
I hope we aren't major players because most of the free agents suck.

Those we need to resign should be pretty cheap. How much can Green ask for after showing major deficiencies in his game during the Thunder series? Same with Neal and his nonexistent defense/weak ballhandling skills. De Colo has never played a day in the NBA...League minimum? And Diaw is overweight and not a 20 point scorer, so his contract should be reasonable as well. If they want more money, tell them hell no lest they become the next Richard Jefferson or Matt Bonner...overpaid for what they give.

TXstbobcat
06-08-2012, 10:35 AM
After next year when Manu's and Stephen Jackson's contracts expire, the spurs will have the opportunity to sign higher priced players in free agency.

AFBlue
06-08-2012, 03:30 PM
The spurs could sign him to a 2 year $20 Million deal with $13 Million for 2013 year and $7 Million for 2014 to help the salary cap for the 2014 season.

They actually couldn't do that. There's a limit on the year-to-year reduction of a front-loaded contract and I believe it's 5%. In order for that to take place, Duncan would have to sign a one-year contract for $13M and then a one-year contract for $7M the following year.

Budkin
06-08-2012, 03:39 PM
After next year when Manu's and Stephen Jackson's contracts expire, the spurs will have the opportunity to sign higher priced players in free agency.

No one is going to sign with San Antonio unless they are a contender, which they won't be at that point.

CubanMustGo
06-08-2012, 04:28 PM
No one is going to sign with San Antonio unless they are a contender, which they won't be at that point.

Fuck, nobody ever signed with us when we WERE a contender, which is why we had to pick up spare parts like Diaw and Jax (who nobody else wanted to touch).

Richie
06-08-2012, 04:44 PM
They actually couldn't do that. There's a limit on the year-to-year reduction of a front-loaded contract and I believe it's 5%. In order for that to take place, Duncan would have to sign a one-year contract for $13M and then a one-year contract for $7M the following year.

Knowing Duncan would never go anywhere else, we are perfectly safe in doing that.

Richie
06-08-2012, 04:48 PM

We won't get a top tier free agent like Howard, but if we could add someone like Al Jefferson, Milisap or possibly even reach for Ibaka in RFA in 2013 we could give Duncan some real help on the front line in his final year.

mbass
06-08-2012, 05:36 PM
What about Hibbert? Aren't HIbbert:flag: and duncan buddies?

tesseractive
06-08-2012, 05:57 PM
What about Hibbert? Aren't HIbbert:flag: and duncan buddies?

Tim Duncan would never have abandoned the Spurs just to go play with his buddies. I'm pretty sure Hibbert feels the same way about the Pacers. The Pacers are a good organization, and I seriously doubt he'll leave that behind.

Spurtacus
06-08-2012, 06:38 PM

I think part of the lack of appeal in playing in SA is because of the Spurs existing big 3. Young, budding players want to play under the spotlight and get paid. Playing in SA you would be overshadowed by the big 3. That and playing for a hard nosed coach.

AFBlue
06-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Knowing Duncan would never go anywhere else, we are perfectly safe in doing that.

Understand, was more speaking of the technicality. Still I think it's more likely he gets a traditional two-year deal, which may have an option or partial guarantee in the second year.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Fuck, nobody ever signed with us when we WERE a contender, which is why we had to pick up spare parts like Diaw and Jax (who nobody else wanted to touch).

Pretty fine "spare parts", IMHO.

Duncan will probably sign 2yrs $24mil, and I'm sure he'll agree to structure it in the best possible manner for the team.

Jumi
06-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Tim Duncan would never have abandoned the Spurs just to go play with his buddies. I'm pretty sure Hibbert feels the same way about the Pacers. The Pacers are a good organization, and I seriously doubt he'll leave that behind.
Yeah, Hibbert wants to do here in Indy, what Duncan did with San Antonio. I don't see it happening, but who knows. George Hill is a different story though. He might walk this year.

kaji157
06-08-2012, 08:03 PM
I would say that we are in good position as we are for one more year, and we could be in great position for a second and third year if we. Asuming Duncan will play 2 more years (retiring in the 20013-2014 season) and Ginobili also (retiring in the 2014-2015 season).

1- Sign Duncan for a leveled 3 year 25 million deal (8 million per year). Last year partially (%50) guaranteed (if both parties agree that Duncan will play only the first 2 years and then retire making a very tradeable contract before it becomes fully guaranteed point at after the Spurs trade him away he retires)
2- Sign Ginobili also for 3 more years at 18 millions, also leveled (6 millions per season), also making the last year partially guaranteed (3 of the 6 millions guaranteed) and also meaning he will retire once the Spurs cash in his contract in a trade before it becomes fully guaranteed.

This way each of the big 3 will leave something before they retire either picks or good role players to add to the young core and a couple of signing we would be able to do with the cap space they are leaving behind.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Duncan should take a pay cut, accept the MLE, then get on the phone and call

The Black Terminator

Superman

Dwight...

Howard!

(((cell phone ring)))

[Duncan]: "Yo Dwight! Nigga what's poppin' ?? Yo check this right, Have your agent holla' at ya boy R.C. and Holt, I'ma split you off with MY cash and contract and settle for MLE money...Now let's win some championships son!

Not 1, Not 2 (well definitely 2 cause I would like to retire repeating), not 3, 4, 5, 12 championships...Spurs will dominate the league for another 6 years (at least) guaranteed!"

[Dwight]: "Hmmm boy I could sure use some championship diamonds on my fingers to show off at the club...Nigga when do I sign the contract ??"

Folks,

NOW is the time!

For another Robinson-to-Duncan type transition.

Duncan-to-Dwight, with Tim Duncan, the GOAT mentoring Superman (the subsequent GOAT!),

The San Antonio Spurs can continue the dynasty for another 5, 6 some odd years.

:lmao

Andthentherewas21
06-08-2012, 10:35 PM
I would say that we are in good position as we are for one more year, and we could be in great position for a second and third year if we. Asuming Duncan will play 2 more years (retiring in the 20013-2014 season) and Ginobili also (retiring in the 2014-2015 season).

1- Sign Duncan for a leveled 3 year 25 million deal (8 million per year). Last year partially (%50) guaranteed (if both parties agree that Duncan will play only the first 2 years and then retire making a very tradeable contract before it becomes fully guaranteed point at after the Spurs trade him away he retires)
2- Sign Ginobili also for 3 more years at 18 millions, also leveled (6 millions per season), also making the last year partially guaranteed (3 of the 6 millions guaranteed) and also meaning he will retire once the Spurs cash in his contract in a trade before it becomes fully guaranteed.

This way each of the big 3 will leave something before they retire either picks or good role players to add to the young core and a couple of signing we would be able to do with the cap space they are leaving behind.

Why are other teams willing to give the Spurs good role players and picks for contracts that are 50% guaranteed for retiring players?

DMC
06-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Duncan wouldn't abandon the David Robinson led Spurs. He might have abandoned the Marcus Camby led Spurs.

DMC
06-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Duncan should take a pay cut, accept the MLE, then get on the phone and call

The Black Terminator

Superman

Dwight...

Howard!

(((cell phone ring)))

[Duncan]: "Yo Dwight! Nigga what's poppin' ?? Yo check this right, Have your agent holla' at ya boy R.C. and Holt, I'ma split you off with MY cash and contract and settle for MLE money...Now let's win some championships son!

Not 1, Not 2 (well definitely 2 cause I would like to retire repeating), not 3, 4, 5, 12 championships...Spurs will dominate the league for another 6 years (at least) guaranteed!"

[Dwight]: "Hmmm boy I could sure use some championship diamonds on my fingers to show off at the club...Nigga when do I sign the contract ??"

Folks,

NOW is the time!

For another Robinson-to-Duncan type transition.

Duncan-to-Dwight, with Tim Duncan, the GOAT mentoring Superman (the subsequent GOAT!),

The San Antonio Spurs can continue the dynasty for another 5, 6 some odd years.
That's what we need, someone else who cannot hit a fucking FT.

spursnatic
06-10-2012, 10:44 PM
I wish he would take one for the Team and sign a 2 year 12 million deal so we coould acquire a BIG...Roy Hibbert would be an ideal pick up!!!!...Get George Hill back and try to keep Diaw somehow and I think we would be the favorites to Win it all and easily next year??....

dbreiden83080
06-10-2012, 11:02 PM
(((cell phone ring)))

:lol

Legacy
06-11-2012, 01:29 AM
I think Timmy will remain a Spur "...till the wheels fall off." ;)

Legacy
06-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Damn, how many Timmy contract threads do we have? I think I lost count. Hope I posted in the right one. :lol

Wild Cobra Kai
06-11-2012, 07:20 AM
I wish he would take one for the Team and sign a 2 year 12 million deal so we coould acquire a BIG...Roy Hibbert would be an ideal pick up!!!!...Get George Hill back and try to keep Diaw somehow and I think we would be the favorites to Win it all and easily next year??....

Considering that George turned down an MLE type offer from Indy, and that's all we have to offer both he AND Diaw together, not so much.

lmbebo
06-11-2012, 08:31 AM
I say give Duncan what he wants. I don't expect to want $20 mil/season, but if he wants a 5 year contract, I say we give it to him. If he wants a 2 year, we give it to him.

Granted his production will not match what he can produce these days, but we never paid enough when it did. He's the reason we have 4 titles and been one of the best franchises in all of professional sports.

Yeah, we may suck in 2-3 years, but at this point who cares. I think Duncan will want to get paid some, but not to the point the spurs can't remain competitive.

Andthentherewas21
06-11-2012, 12:00 PM
I say give Duncan what he wants. I don't expect to want $20 mil/season, but if he wants a 5 year contract, I say we give it to him. If he wants a 2 year, we give it to him.

Granted his production will not match what he can produce these days, but we never paid enough when it did. He's the reason we have 4 titles and been one of the best franchises in all of professional sports.

Yeah, we may suck in 2-3 years, but at this point who cares. I think Duncan will want to get paid some, but not to the point the spurs can't remain competitive.

There is no chance in HELL, that they give Duncan a blank-check on a 5 year contract. His payday came with this past extension. I wouldn't mind overpaying beyond what he can produce by a million or 2, but anything beyond $12 million a season is highway robbery.

He has made over $200 million from the Spurs, on-top of local and national sponsorships. If he really wanted to make more money, he would have taken more national endorsement deals throughout his career. But the Spurs paid him fairly. I'm all for giving him credit and thanking him for his service. If you want to give him an extra year with some guaranteed money, so he can get paid his first season into retirement, fine. But you don't start paying for a player's production in the past, unless you don't want the team to have any success in the future.

ducks
06-11-2012, 02:52 PM
anything above 10 million is to much duncan

BackHome
06-11-2012, 09:01 PM
It all depends on if Duncan really wants to win a championship. He knows that we will need more then the MLE in order to get two good players on this team to make a difference next year. How about three year at eighteen mill.