PDA

View Full Version : Andre Drummond

Gregzilla
06-08-2012, 11:41 AM
just thought i'd mention that Drummond just said at the combine that one of the teams he's interviewed with is the Spurs..i find that interesting since the spurs dont even have a first round pick and Drummond should go top 5..any thoughts?

TimmehC
06-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Spurs are trading Parker to move into the lottery.

SenorSpur
06-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Funny you bring this up. I happened to be watching and heard the same thing a few minutes ago. Drummond, because of his inconsistent motor, this kid could very well drop in the first round or he could go in the top five. It's really an unknown.

For now, I'd say this is the Spurs doing their usual thorough level of due diligence on the remote chance they have an opportunity to trade their way into the first round - much like they did last year.

The_Worlds_finest
06-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Spurs are trading Parker to move into the lottery.

Would you start Patty Mills and hope the Drummond's presence would be for the better?

GinobiliForTres
06-08-2012, 12:06 PM
I read somewhere that Drummond wasn't even trying in any of his workouts. Fuck that piece of shit.

Jumi
06-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Would you start Patty Mills and hope the Drummond's presence would be for the better?
That's the thing, it depends on what position he's available. If he's still there when Portland picks, I would send TP to Portland and take a chance on Drummond (Meaning I'd do what it took to make the deal happen.) If he's there at eight, I'd definately do it because TP could earn alot of money in Canada with endorsements which could lessen the sting. It's an interesting thought. Try to get Andre Miller in FA and see what happens. At least it ensures we COULD have a great future!

SenorSpur
06-08-2012, 12:11 PM
I read somewhere that Drummond wasn't even trying in any of his workouts. Fuck that piece of shit.

Wow.

If he were more committed, there's no doubt he'd be the 2nd overall pick in this draft. Always have to question a guy with a bad motor.

Spurs da champs
06-08-2012, 12:12 PM
They did the same thing to Derrick Favors a couple of years ago, it really means nothing.

swaggerjackson
06-08-2012, 12:14 PM
The Spurs do this every year. They interviewed Favors when he entered into the draft. The truth is, this is one of the best times to get a know a player, even if just for future reference. We don't get to workout our free agents and when we do talk to them it is somewhat on their terms. Honestly I think this is just the Spurs taking advantage of an opportunity, not some elaborate scheme. But again this is pure speculation on my part.

Bill_Brasky
06-08-2012, 12:14 PM
The Spurs and 1-and-done's will never go well together.

Jumi
06-08-2012, 12:19 PM
It doesn't seem like the Spurs do well with any big man not named Duncan or Robinson.

baseline bum
06-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Wow.

If he were more committed, there's no doubt he'd be the 2nd overall pick in this draft. Always have to question a guy with a bad motor.

If Drummond had any kind of motor he would be a much better prospect than Davis. He already has NBA size at 19, his athleticism is ridiculous even by NBA standards, and he has in the past shown almost Webber-like passing skills. If this guy had any kind of reasonable work ethic and activity level on the floor he'd be considered the best bigman prospect since Oden or Howard.

Thomas82
06-23-2012, 02:45 PM
If anything, I hope he doesn't get drafted by Portland and be the next victim of their big man curse. LaRue Martin, Bill Walton, Sam Bowie, Greg Oden......enough said!! You can even add Arvydas Sabonis to the mix.....he was drafted by them in 1986, but the Soviet Union didn't let him go to Portland until 1995, when he was past his prime.

CGD
06-23-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm always curious what the Spurs front office is thinking when they interview someone projected to go so high, especially when their own draft position makes it very difficult to land that player.

Possible thinking:

(1) General due diligence obviously, should a trade situation arise;
(2) Screwing with other teams' heads;
(3) Getting to know and establishing a relationship with a guy who they think, in 2-3 years, may flame out with the team that drafted him so they can get the inside track on him when he becomes available; and
(4) Signaling to other teams that may find themselves in a position to draft that player, that the Spurs are interested and would entertain a call on draft night.

Thomas82
06-23-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm always curious what the Spurs front office is thinking when they interview someone projected to go so high, especially when their own draft position makes it very difficult to land that player.

Possible thinking:

(1) General due diligence obviously, should a trade situation arise;
(2) Screwing with other teams' heads;
(3) Getting to know and establishing a relationship with a guy who they think, in 2-3 years, may flame out with the team that drafted him so they can get the inside track on him when he becomes available; and
(4) Signaling to other teams that may find themselves in a position to draft that player, that the Spurs are interested and would entertain a call on draft night.

Let's hope these 2 options are the case.....I believe the Spurs would be the best situation for Andre Drummond. There is no better situation for a rookie to be in, than to have a chance to be difference-maker on a team without having the pressure on them to carry the team.

acoelho1
06-23-2012, 07:09 PM
I would entertain a trade package of TP and Splitter to the Blazers for their 6th and 11th pick. If Drummond drops to 6th, he may be worth the risk. He may never be a great offensive player but he would make us considerable better on the defensive end. With the 11th pick, we should be able to get another quality player. How about Leonard and have the triple towers of Duncan, Drummond & Leonard. We can resign Mills or draft a point guard if we want to go that route.

baseline bum
06-23-2012, 07:16 PM
I would entertain a trade package of TP and Splitter to the Blazers for their 6th and 11th pick. If Drummond drops to 6th, he may be worth the risk. He may never be a great offensive player but he would make us considerable better on the defensive end. With the 11th pick, we should be able to get another quality player. How about Leonard and have the triple towers of Duncan, Drummond & Leonard. We can resign Mills or draft a point guard if we want to go that route.

Gary Neal, starting point guard. :lol

acoelho1
06-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Didn't know you can see the future. Can you tell me the winning lottery number too.

baseline bum
06-23-2012, 07:30 PM
So what's your plan for next year? Who is point guard in your scenario? Why blow the team up and keep Duncan?

acoelho1
06-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm fine with Mills at the point if we get 2 first round prospects which is nothing to sneeze at since this seems to be a deep draft. Maybe Portland will include Felton in the deal and if you don't like either of those players then we can simply draft a point guard at 11 like Kendall Marshall or try to move up a few spots to get Lillard. Clearly, we won't get anyone that will be at the caliber of Parker, maybe Lillard can eventually but getting Drummond will be a huge upgrade in our front court.

Juggity
06-23-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm fine with Mills at the point

:lmao

Seriously? He's a shooting guard in a point guard's body. Rarely looks to distribute the ball. He's certainly a decent shooter, can be invaluable off the bench when hot, but almost everything else about him is seriously deficient, particularly height.

Take Tony off this spurs team without any replacement point guard and you have an eighth seed team at best.

acoelho1
06-23-2012, 08:06 PM
I write this again since you seemed to skip over it. Doing this trade gives us options and Mills would be worse case.

Maybe Portland will include Felton in the deal and if you don't like either of those players then we can simply draft a point guard at 11 like Kendall Marshall or try to move up a few spots to get Lillard.

spurs1990
06-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Wow.

Tank purposely in order to drop to a great franchise.

Think about it would you rather start your career in shittown Charlotte or Washington or fall in the draft to get picked up by a proven franchise: Houston, Phoenix, San Antonio ?

racm
06-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Due diligence and CIA Pop as always tbh

baseline bum
06-23-2012, 11:09 PM
I write this again since you seemed to skip over it. Doing this trade gives us options and Mills would be worse case.

Maybe Portland will include Felton in the deal and if you don't like either of those players then we can simply draft a point guard at 11 like Kendall Marshall or try to move up a few spots to get Lillard.

Did you watch Felton play this year though? He was awful and has only looked good in D'Antoni's ridiculous system. Even if Marshall is the second coming of Mark Jackson or Lillard is the second coming of Gary Payton, that does nothing for winning now, as almost no point guard can run an offense his rookie nor sophomore year. Drummond is obviously a long-term project who isn't going to come close to replacing Parker's offense for a while in the best case.

If Duncan was to retire and the team needed to be blown up, then trading Parker for Portland's 2 picks would make a lot of sense. The team showed way too much this year to be blown up though. Do I think they'll replicate this amazing season next year? Doubtful. Still, the potential is there to be a title contender again if they can make a good move or two to tweak the supporting cast.

baseline bum
06-23-2012, 11:10 PM

Think about it would you rather start your career in shittown Charlotte or Washington or fall in the draft to get picked up by a proven franchise: Houston, Phoenix, San Antonio ?

I have been watching this guy's games for 3 years. The shitty motor isn't something that just came up this season at UConn.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2012, 02:25 AM

keyword houston hasnt proven shit

angelbelow
06-24-2012, 05:17 AM
So far, its been noted that he lacks work ethic and effort. Interesting that he wants to join the Spurs or the Celtics given his lack of intensity.

acoelho1
06-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Did you watch Felton play this year though? He was awful and has only looked good in D'Antoni's ridiculous system. Even if Marshall is the second coming of Mark Jackson or Lillard is the second coming of Gary Payton, that does nothing for winning now, as almost no point guard can run an offense his rookie nor sophomore year. Drummond is obviously a long-term project who isn't going to come close to replacing Parker's offense for a while in the best case.

If Duncan was to retire and the team needed to be blown up, then trading Parker for Portland's 2 picks would make a lot of sense. The team showed way too much this year to be blown up though. Do I think they'll replicate this amazing season next year? Doubtful. Still, the potential is there to be a title contender again if they can make a good move or two to tweak the supporting cast.

Why doesn't a rookie help us now? Didn't Kawhi help us during our run in the playoffs? Drummond maybe a project on the offensive end but he would be a beast on defensive end by protecting the rim. Look at our defensive numbers when Duncan goes to the bench and Lorbek, Diaw or Splitter won't help those numbers. Also, if you don't want a rookie running the point, pick up veteran in free agency. Unlike you, I'm not tied to Parker and I refuse to go through another year with Parker pulling another disappearing act in critical playoff games.

Point Guard
(name, team – 2011-12 salary – status)

Deron Williams, Brooklyn Nets – $16.4 million – Player Option ($17.8 million)
Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns – $11.7 million – Unrestricted
Aaron Brooks, Phoenix Suns – $2.0 million – Restricted ($3.0 million Qualifying Offer)
Raymond Felton, Portland Trail Blazers – $7.6 million – Unrestricted
Kirk Hinrich, Atlanta Hawks – $8.0 million – Unrestricted
Jason Kidd, Dallas Mavericks – $8.6 million – Unrestricted
Andre Miller, Denver Nuggets – $7.8 million – Unrestricted
Chauncey Billups, L.A. Clippers – $2.0 million – Unrestricted
Jameer Nelson, Orlando Magic – $7.8 million – Player Option ($7.8 million)
D.J. Augustin, Charlotte Bobcats – $3.2 million – Restricted ($4.4 million Qualifying Offer)
Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks – $10.7 million – Unrestricted
George Hill, Indiana Pacers – $2.1 million – Restricted ($3.1 million Qualifying Offer)
Jordan Farmar, Brooklyn Nets – $4.0 million – Player Option ($4.3 million)
Leandro Barbosa, Indiana Pacers – $7.6 million – Unrestricted
Goran Dragic, Houston Rockets – $2.1 million – Unrestricted
Jerryd Bayless, Toronto Raptors – $3.0 million – Restricted ($4.2 million Qualifying Offer)
Derek Fisher, Oklahoma City Thunder – $3.4 million – Unrestricted
Randy Foye, L.A. Clippers – $4.3 million – Unrestricted
Mo Williams, L.A. Clippers – $8.5 million – Player Option ($8.5 million)
Jonny Flynn, Portland Trail Blazers – $3.4 million – Unrestricted
Keyon Dooling, Boston Celtics – $2.2 million – Unrestricted
Ishmael Smith, Orlando Magic – $0.5 million – Unrestricted*
Ramon Sessions, L.A. Lakers – $4.3 million – Player Option ($4.6 million)
Jeremy Lin, New York Knicks – $0.8 million – Unrestricted*
Sundiata Gaines, Brooklyn Nets – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*
A.J. Price, Indiana Pacers – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*
Baron Davis, New York Knicks – $1.3 million – Unrestricted
Royal Ivey, Oklahoma City Thunder – $1.2 million – Unrestricted
John Lucas, Chicago Bulls – $0.9 million – Unrestricted
Gilbert Arenas, Memphis Grizzlies – $0.4 million – Unrestricted
Jannero Pargo, Atlanta Hawks – $1.1 million – Unrestricted
Delonte West, Dallas Mavericks – $1.1 million – Unrestricted
Walker Russell, Jr., Detroit Pistons – $0.4 million – Unrestricted*
Darius Morris, L.A. Lakers – $0.5 million – Unrestricted*
Terrell Harris, Miami HEAT – $0.5 million – Unrestricted*
Carldell Johnson, New Orleans Hornets – $0.5 million – Unrestricted*
DeAndre Liggins, Orlando Magic – $0.5 million – Unrestricted*
Ronnie Price, Phoenix Suns – $1.1 million – Unrestricted
T.J. Ford, Golden State Warriors – $1.1 million – Unrestricted
Anthony Carter, Toronto Raptors – $1.3 million – Unrestricted
Roger Mason, Washington Wizards – $1.1 million – Unrestricted
Jamaal Tinsley, Utah Jazz – $1.2 million – Team Option ($1.3 million)
Donald Sloan, Cleveland Cavaliers – $0.2 million – Unrestricted*
Manny Harris, Cleveland Cavaliers – $0.4 million – Unrestricted*
Patty Mills, San Antonio Spurs – $0.3 million – Unrestricted*
Courtney Fortson, Houston Rockets – $0.2 million – Unrestricted*
Mike James, Chicago Bulls – $0.6 million – Unrestricted
Jerome Dyson, New Orleans Hornets – $0.1 million – Unrestricted*
Ben Uzoh, Toronto Raptors – $0.2 million – Unrestricted*
Armon Johnson, Brooklyn Nets – $0.1 million – Unrestricted*
Earl Boykins, Houston Rockets – $0.2 million – Unrestricted
Blake Ahearn, Utah Jazz – $0.1 million – Unrestricted*

Vic Petro
06-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Nice endorsement from his teammate

RT @blazersedge: UConn G Jeremy Lamb on UConn C Andre Drummond's NBA potential: "It depends on if he wants to work."

jimo2305
06-25-2012, 07:55 PM

RT @blazersedge: UConn G Jeremy Lamb on UConn C Andre Drummond's NBA potential: "It depends on if he wants to work."

lol damn... :lol

Thomas82
06-25-2012, 08:00 PM

I'm almost sure he'll slide a little bit now.

baseline bum
06-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Why doesn't a rookie help us now? Didn't Kawhi help us during our run in the playoffs? Drummond maybe a project on the offensive end but he would be a beast on defensive end by protecting the rim. Look at our defensive numbers when Duncan goes to the bench and Lorbek, Diaw or Splitter won't help those numbers. Also, if you don't want a rookie running the point, pick up veteran in free agency. Unlike you, I'm not tied to Parker and I refuse to go through another year with Parker pulling another disappearing act in critical playoff games.

Drummond is a project on both ends of the floor. He's dumb and has a horrible work ethic. Shotblocking isn't great defense any more than steals are. Drummond has enormous potential, but sacrificing Parker for him in a season you're trying to win is moronic. Is the team supposed to depend on 36 year-old Ginobili not throwing up any stinkers like his game 6 in OKC? You're going anywhere in the west without an allstar? :lol

LOL @ shit for brains and shit for desire Drummond being comparable to Leonard in a rookie year.

Andthentherewas21
06-25-2012, 08:44 PM
I'd pass on the lack of motivation alone. If playing basketball, which you would assume he likes to do anyways, for millions of dollars isn't motivating there isn't much that is going to push him to improve.

Scouts noted Leonard's shooting issues prior to the draft. Once drafted Kawhi took to the gym, even when they couldn't get the lights working, to improve his shot. Drummond doesn't have that drive and its not something you can teach. The NBA is the last place that you can just "get by", especially under Pop, which is exactly what every scout has been saying about this kid.

DPG21920
06-25-2012, 08:55 PM
So far, its been noted that he lacks work ethic and effort. Interesting that he wants to join the Spurs or the Celtics given his lack of intensity.

Where did you hear that?

SpursRock20
06-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Where did you hear that?

http://projectspurs.com/2012-articles/june/from-the-draft-combine-spurs-show-interest-in-drummond.html

"When asked what teams off the Top 5 radar want to meet with him, former UConn center Andre Drummond said the Celtics and Spurs."

Not really what he wants though.

AFBlue
06-25-2012, 10:17 PM

The full quote isn't nearly as damning. Still, it's not as if he let the cat outta the bag...immense talent and potential, serious question whether he ever puts it all together.

Ice009
06-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Whoever said he could help us like Kawhi is way off base, based on what we hear on Drummond's work ethic, which alone, is a huge aspect to making it in the NBA.

Kawhi is in the gym when the lights are off, he's a very hard worker. IMO that is the main reason he did so well, he really worked his ass off to improve after being drafted and wants to improve everyday.

Guys with no work ethic are some of the biggest busts in NBA history.

baseline bum
06-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Drummond is athletic enough and talented enough to play a reasonable career even with his work lousy ethic. I mean, Olowokandi played 9 seasons and had nothing like Drummond's athleticism but was pretty similar on most other accounts. He's not a guy I would ever expect to be any good on a winning team though; he reminds me of a 6'10" Beno in that regard.

Ice009
06-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Drummond is athletic enough and talented enough to play a reasonable career even with his work lousy ethic. I mean, Olowokandi played 9 seasons and had nothing like Drummond's athleticism but was pretty similar on most other accounts. He's not a guy I would ever expect to be any good on a winning team though; he reminds me of a 6'10" Beno in that regard.

When I said biggest busts in NBA history, I was referring to guys that had the potential to be stars, but lousy work ethics destroyed that.

Of course he can play for a long time, but he won't be a star with a crap work ethic. Trading TP, like someone mentioned previously, for someone with a horrible work ethic would be a huge gamble even if he does have the potential to be a big star down the road.

A guy with Drummond's potential + a horrible work ethic usually = bust.

angelbelow
06-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Where did you hear that?

I read the link posted below your comment, but it's I clear now that I mis-read. Looks like the Spurs and the Celtics were the ones interested in him, and not the other way around.