PDA

View Full Version : NBA Rumors: Bobcats Reportedly Shopping 2nd Overall Draft Pick

Beanzamillion21
06-08-2012, 02:38 PM
TP for No. 2 Pick? Discuss/

Ocotillo
06-08-2012, 02:41 PM
First in: S/T Diaw? :D

Spursfan092120
06-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Beanz...REALLY? Tell me you're kidding. After Davis, there's a HUGE dropoff in this draft. You do NOT give up the best player on a team 2 games from the Finals for a draft pick in a shitty draft.

Beanzamillion21
06-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Point Guards don't win your team championships. Point Guards can be replaced. Talent like Drummond or Kidd-Gilchrist can take your team places.

TimmehC
06-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Spurs would then need a decent point guard, which is not an easy thing to find without cap space. Drummond is a stiff, and the Spurs don't have a need for a wing player like MKG or Beal. No thank you.

Beanzamillion21
06-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Spurs would then need a decent point guard, which is not an easy thing to find without cap space. Drummond is a stiff, and the Spurs don't have a need for a wing player like MKG or Beal. No thank you.

Whaaa... Is Gary Neal not cutting it for you? jk/

tesseractive
06-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Spurs would then need a decent point guard, which is not an easy thing to find without cap space.
There are a boatload of older point guards on the FA market this year, and if we had an opening for a starter, we could probably land one.

Which is not to say that Parker for the #2 is a good deal.

AFBlue
06-08-2012, 03:13 PM
So we would have no Tony Parker, leaving an unproven 20yr old PG to guide the team. And we'd have nothing to show for it beyond an unproven 19yr old Center who underperformed in college, or a 19yr old Shooting Guard with all heart and no shot.

Somehow, I don't see this as a realistic scenario for the Spurs.

Drom John
06-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Merging posts, would it be time to talk to Corey Joseph's Canadian team coach?

tesseractive
06-08-2012, 03:33 PM
So we would have no Tony Parker, leaving an unproven 20yr old PG to guide the team. And we'd have nothing to show for it beyond an unproven 19yr old Center who underperformed in college, or a 19yr old Shooting Guard with all heart and no shot.

Somehow, I don't see this as a realistic scenario for the Spurs.

The only way this would be a plausible move would be if:

* We thought MKG could be a legit franchise player (translation: future first-team All-NBA, we can win titles with him as our best player), and we thought we could fix his shooting motion more or less immediately like we did with Kawhi. For a kid that young, he still brings a lot right away, which means we're not necessarily sacrificing Tim's last couple of years to a rebuilding project.

Trading Tony for a project like Drummond is not a viable option unless Tim announces he's going to retire.

* We also thought we could land someone like Nash or Andre Miller for the midlevel to play the point. This would only buy us a couple of years, but that's enough for Tim's remaining window.

* We could bring in Lorbek for the LLE and we thought he could help fill the gap we'd be opening up by letting Diaw walk and needing to dispose of Bonner.

That's a lot of ifs -- there's no question it's a risky move. But if the front office does its research and thinks that it brings in a legit future First-Team All-NBA talent, it might be worth the risk.

On the other hand, if we don't rate him every bit that highly, it's a pass. No point in trading a current All-Star for a guy who only has a chance to develop into a future All-Star.

AFBlue
06-08-2012, 03:36 PM
The only way this would be a plausible move would be if:

* We thought MKG could be a legit franchise player (translation: future first-team All-NBA, we can win titles with him as our best player), and we thought we could fix his shooting motion more or less immediately like we did with Kawhi. For a kid that young, he still brings a lot right away, which means we're not necessarily sacrificing Tim's last couple of years to a rebuilding project.

Trading Tony for a project like Drummond is not a viable option unless Tim announces he's going to retire.

* We also thought we could land someone like Nash or Andre Miller for the midlevel to play the point. This would only buy us a couple of years, but that's enough for Tim's remaining window.

* We could bring in Lorbek for the LLE and we thought he could help fill the gap we'd be opening up by letting Diaw walk and needing to dispose of Bonner.

That's a lot of ifs -- there's no question it's a risky move. But if the front office does its research and thinks that it brings in a legit future First-Team All-NBA talent, it might be worth the risk.

On the other hand, if we don't rate him every bit that highly, it's a pass. No point in trading a current All-Star for a guy who only has a chance to develop into a future All-Star.

I would say that trading Tony Parker for a draft pick, regardless of the player they receive in return, only happens if Duncan AND Ginobili retire. The Spurs will not start the rebuilding process with either player still on this team.

Budkin
06-08-2012, 03:38 PM
No fucking way.

SamoanTD
06-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Not Tony.

Brazil
06-08-2012, 04:14 PM
TP playin' for the bobcats would be pretty damn funny, he would loose totally his mind after 10 games

slick'81
06-08-2012, 04:31 PM
lol gnsf

Beanzamillion21
06-08-2012, 06:34 PM
TP playin' for the bobcats would be pretty damn funny, he would loose totally his mind after 10 games

hahaha yeah, but he would play for his role model MJ.

Richie
06-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Not likely. A few rumors are saying Spurs are looking at NO 10th pick in a deal that would send Blair, Mills and Jackson to No for the 10th pick and Oak. I like the trade if we are gonna make a run again. Had giving up Jack and I like Mills.

We then would use the 10th pick on Drummond or Henson.

Also Spurs are know to have intrest in the back up PF from Chi who would be a great addition. Guy is athletic, has a jumper, good shot blocker. I would much rather grab him and spend the 10th pick on Dion Waiters, Henson or a slasher who can get to the rim and finish.

Surely NO can get more for #10 that that? I just don't see that being the best offer they can get. I imagine plenty would be willing to take Okafors contract too

SamoanTD
06-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Not likely. A few rumors are saying Spurs are looking at NO 10th pick in a deal that would send Blair, Mills and Jackson to No for the 10th pick and Oak. I like the trade if we are gonna make a run again. Had giving up Jack and I like Mills.

Also Spurs are know to have intrest in the back up PF from Chi who would be a great addition. Guy is athletic, has a jumper, good shot blocker. I would much rather grab him and spend the 10th pick on Dion Waiters, Henson or a slasher who can get to the rim and finish.

That's pretty damn awesome if spurs could pull it off but damn it would suck to give up jack he just got back lol.

Jumi
06-08-2012, 10:32 PM

Damn, I like this!

2 Years 1 Title

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2012, 10:40 PM
yeh trade jack who was the only oen who gave a damn about the playoffs, while keeping the magicians on the team...

Ditty
06-08-2012, 10:40 PM
2 step has been known to be horribly wrong in the past, so I wouldn't believe anything he says.

100%duncan
06-08-2012, 10:42 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-08-2012, 10:44 PM
TP stays for the final two years of Tim/Manu. That's all there is to it.

Richie
06-08-2012, 10:54 PM
2 step has been known to be horribly wrong in the past, so I wouldn't believe anything he says.

I dont believe we have any shot at the #10, but we can dream about trading Any combination (or most of) Blair, Splitter, Neal, Bonner or Mills with Jackson for Okafor and the 10. Doubt Drummond falls that far but Henson could be a defensive star. Henson, Okafor, Duncan and Diaw up front could be incredible.

Again though, I'm sure Hornets could get a much better deal than that

cd98
06-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Spurs have no assets to trade.

Bobcats don't want old players, and we have old stars. And our young players are just role players with no all star possibilities except maybe Leonard.

So we have nothing to trade.

We can't bank on MJ making a dumb trade. Can we? Can we? No. They finally hired a competent GM.

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2012, 10:58 PM
trade all our scraps for in return of drummond and okafor?

our big rotation
duncan/lorbek
oakafor/drummond

sign me up....get younger and start building the future around KL, Drummond....

cd98
06-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Our best hope is to take advantage of the Nets GM. That Wallace trade reeks of incompetence. We could maybe get a Deron Williams for Parker and a bench player when Williams refuses to resign. Of course can't happen if Williams doesn't want to come. But it'd be a great if Spurs could get him in a sign and trade.

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Our best hope is to take advantage of the Nets GM. That Wallace trade reeks of incompetence. We could maybe get a Deron Williams for Parker and a bench player when Williams refuses to resign. Of course can't happen if Williams doesn't want to come. But it'd be a great if Spurs could get him in a sign and trade.

first he needs to sign that contract, i dont think his even worth max

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Leonard was an exception. Rookies who can be rotational players on serious title contenders are a rare breed. Would much rather find a trade to improve the team. Also, I would be very hesitant to deal Jack.

The most important thing to do this offseason is to not panic. Between international players the Spurs have rights to and Blair the Spurs have potential trade assets as well as new talent to add. A full training camp and season with Jack and Diaw in the rotation will help.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Don't like that trade - Okafor is not a difference-maker, and you never know who'll be there at 10.

I think Mills is the perfect backup PG for us, and giving up Jax makes little sense when he's such a perfect fit. Unless we'd be getting someone like Josh Smith I want to keep Jax.

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Leonard was an exception. Rookies who can be rotational players on serious title contenders are a rare breed. Would much rather find a trade to improve the team. Also, I would be very hesitant to deal Jack.

The most important thing to do this offseason is to not panic. Between international players the Spurs have rights to and Blair the Spurs have potential trade assets as well as new talent to add. A full training camp and season with Jack and Diaw in the rotation will help.

if we can flip splitter/blailr/bonner/mills/green/anderson into a lottery pick....these 2 clowns wouldve been lottery picks the year they were drafted only to fall due to health or euro contracts...i still think they have value considering they are on dirt end contracts who can come in and contribute straight away instead of waiting developing a rookie

Wild Cobra Kai
06-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Surely NO can get more for #10 that that? I just don't see that being the best offer they can get. I imagine plenty would be willing to take Okafors contract too

Not many can take that contract, and allow complete salary relief after one season. NO saves like $27 M in salary if they cut Blair and Patty opts out. If they keep Blair and Patty opts in, they still save $25 M.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2012, 11:12 PM
The Spurs won't deal TP until TD retires, if ever anyways.

I expect that TD, Pop, and Manu will go out together and the rebuild will be on.

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Not many can take that contract, and allow complete salary relief after one season. NO saves like $27 M in salary if they cut Blair and Patty opts out. If they keep Blair and Patty opts in, they still save $25 M.

trading them our bench already gives them a solid core of role players to play with as a unit

Jumi
06-08-2012, 11:22 PM
trading them our bench already gives them a solid core of role players to play with as a unit
And we get a center that plays defense and a good draft pick. I don't understand why people don't like this deal. I love Jack, but he has one year left on his deal. Go rewatch Thabo driving to the lane for a dunk while four Spurs enjoy the view. A Thunder fan has it as a sig! Jeeez!

Richie
06-08-2012, 11:29 PM

I'm still not sure they do it, but if we trade Neal, Mills, Blair and Jax for Oka + 10 we end up with

Parker / ?
Green / Ginobili
Kawhi / ?
Duncan / Diaw? / Bonner
Okafor / Splitter

Not sure if I like it tbh, giving up Jax leaves us with no backup small forward and a lot of pressure on Kawhi, and if we are getting Okafor back then we probably wouldn't draft a young big with the 10, and it seems silly to take a SF when we already have Kawhi or a PG when Tony is our franchise player.

Maybe we take Henson with the #10 and don't resign Diaw and end up with an absolutle monster of a front line, and then try and sign someone like Andre Miller with the MLE as backup point. Still don't know where that leaves us at small forward though

The more I think about it, the less I like us trading away Jackson.

texbumTHElife
06-08-2012, 11:33 PM
The only ones I would include in a trading block, would be: Neal, Bonner, Anderson, Joseph and Blair, but the Spurs would only get DVD copy of "Gigli" and cd with Fran Drescher's best laughs.

Post of the year.

texbumTHElife
06-08-2012, 11:41 PM
I think this team has gotten as close to another trophy as it can with the current roster make-up. Leonard would need to go god-mode next season for anything to change enough for us to win it all. I think trading Parker is a very viable option at this point if we can lock down a true facilitator via FA or in the trade.

Hell The C's shop Rondo every off season. I would do a Parker for Rondo trade in a heartbeat.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-08-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm still not sure they do it, but if we trade Neal, Mills, Blair and Jax for Oka + 10 we end up with

Parker / ?
Green / Ginobili
Kawhi / ?
Duncan / Diaw? / Bonner
Okafor / Splitter

Not sure if I like it tbh, giving up Jax leaves us with no backup small forward and a lot of pressure on Kawhi, and if we are getting Okafor back then we probably wouldn't draft a young big with the 10, and it seems silly to take a SF when we already have Kawhi or a PG when Tony is our franchise player.

Maybe we take Henson with the #10 and don't resign Diaw and end up with an absolutle monster of a front line, and then try and sign someone like Andre Miller with the MLE as backup point. Still don't know where that leaves us at small forward though

If they want 10, they have somebody in mind. If you get Okafor, it's not a big. We'd have Tim, Oke, Splitter, likely Diaw and maybe Lorbek. The Spurs really don't distinguish between SF/SG, so a wing player could be on the menu, especially with Jack going out in trade. They might also be interested in Lillard as a groomable PG who will be cheap to pay until Tony is 34.

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2012, 11:47 PM
we can alaways throw in lorbek and betrans if we are not thinkn of bringin any of our farm players over, who would be better off having a chance of making the nba on some cash strapped team

Richie
06-08-2012, 11:58 PM
If they want 10, they have somebody in mind. If you get Okafor, it's not a big. We'd have Tim, Oke, Splitter, likely Diaw and maybe Lorbek. The Spurs really don't distinguish between SF/SG, so a wing player could be on the menu, especially with Jack going out in trade. They might also be interested in Lillard as a groomable PG who will be cheap to pay until Tony is 34.

The thing is that I don't think there is the value there to give up that much for #10 when we could try and get something in the 15-18 range without giving away Jax.

In fact, if Kyle O'Quinn doesn't get taken in the first round, I like trading for the Cavs 33 and 34 and taking O'Quinn and Bernard James. Two tall, long shot blockers

Wild Cobra Kai
06-09-2012, 12:00 AM
The thing is that I don't think there is the value there to give up that much for #10 when we could try and get something in the 15-18 range without giving away Jax.

In fact, if Kyle O'Quinn doesn't get taken in the first round, I like trading for the Cavs 33 and 34 and taking O'Quinn and Bernard James

I'm tired of the opposition layup drill when Tim is out of the game, which is more minutes on average every year. Oke fixes that. It's not just the 10 pick.

Jumi
06-09-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm tired of the opposition layup drill when Tim is out of the game, which is more minutes on average every year. Oke fixes that. It's not just the 10 pick.
Anyone who opposes getting Oke and the 10th pick for Jax, go watch "KDtrey" sig. Thabo drives to the middle of the lane and dunks while the Spurs seem "Thunderstruck!" If we don't do that deal, then we need a PF that can block shots, finish at the rim, hit the mid range shot, and has heart: Taj Gibson! You gotta give to recieve!

TDMVPDPOY
06-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Anyone who opposes getting Oke and the 10th pick for Jax, go watch "KDtrey" sig. Thabo drives to the middle of the lane and dunks while the Spurs seem "Thunderstruck!" If we don't do that deal, then we need a PF that can block shots, finish at the rim, hit the mid range shot, and has heart: Taj Gibson! You gotta give to recieve!

bulls will be looking at trading boozer first then lookin down the pecking order

Spurs da champs
06-09-2012, 12:26 AM
I dont believe we have any shot at the #10, but we can dream about trading Any combination (or most of) Blair, Splitter, Neal, Bonner or Mills with Jackson for Okafor and the 10. Doubt Drummond falls that far but Henson could be a defensive star. Henson, Okafor, Duncan and Diaw up front could be incredible.

Again though, I'm sure Hornets could get a much better deal than that
A combination of them let alone one of them isn't worth a lottery pick.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-09-2012, 12:41 AM
A combination of them let alone one of them isn't worth a lottery pick.

Keep your eye on the ball. It's a late-ish lottery pick AND $25-27M in salary relief for N.O.

Spurs da champs
06-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Keep your eye on the ball. It's a late-ish lottery pick AND $25-27M in salary relief for N.O.

Who the hell would want to go to New Orleans? Small Market & it's a shit hole, imo the only way they build themselves into a contender is through the draft or possibly trades.

ducks
06-09-2012, 01:01 AM
I would give them manu before jack

ducks
06-09-2012, 01:02 AM
i do not see any non playoff team wanting jack
he would not try to play and cause problems

Thomas82
06-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Maybe if we do trade Jack, he could get bought out and come back.

baseline bum
06-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Beanz...REALLY? Tell me you're kidding. After Davis, there's a HUGE dropoff in this draft. You do NOT give up the best player on a team 2 games from the Finals for a draft pick in a shitty draft.

This is not a shitty draft by any stretch of the imagination; it's probably the best one we'll see for years. Not that I would trade Parker for the #2 though, because

(1) The Spurs have proved they're able to contend if they can stay healthy, so might as well keep the core together and see if they can add an extra piece somewhere else or if Kawhi can follow his impressive rookie season with a breakout sophomore campaign.

(2) Kidd-Gilchrist is the best prospect after Davis, but getting him would mean trading Kawhi. Barnes is the next guy I'd want, and he's also a SF.

ducks
06-09-2012, 01:25 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/thomas-robinson-thinks-no-1-pick-220054485--nba.html;_ylt=Ahq4i4xtNlV9_SYkY7wfU0y8vLYF

Richie
06-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Maybe if we do trade Jack, he could get bought out and come back.

If he leaves in a trade, I bet he comes back as a free agent for another run if Duncan and Manu are still here in the 13/14 season

baseline bum
06-09-2012, 01:49 AM

Doubtful that Drummond would be there at 10, and Henson is way too skinny to contribute right away. Henson is a project with a really high upside though, and wouldn't be a bad pick there for a team that's rebuilding. At #10 I'd go for either Perry Jones for his size, athleticism, and ceiling, Kendall Marshall to have a solid distributor off the bench, or Austin Rivers to have instant offense off the bench (even as a rookie I think he'd be a big upgrade over Neal).

baseline bum
06-09-2012, 01:54 AM
The Spurs won't deal TP until TD retires, if ever anyways.

I expect that TD, Pop, and Manu will go out together and the rebuild will be on.

I really hope Pop sticks around for at least another 5 years or so with his track record of player development. That'll be a sad day to jump on that coaching carousel again that we saw in the 90s.

Richie
06-09-2012, 01:57 AM
Doubtful that Drummond would be there at 10, and Henson is way too skinny to contribute right away. Henson is a project with a really high upside though, and wouldn't be a bad pick there for a team that's rebuilding. At #10 I'd go for either Perry Jones for his size, athleticism, and ceiling, Kendall Marshall to have a solid distributor off the bench, or Austin Rivers to have instant offense off the bench (even as a rookie I think he'd be a big upgrade over Neal).

Thing is, none of those really fills the need we have for a big time defensive player next to Duncan.

If we got the #10, I think we would actually trade back down and pick up a big 7 footer like Meyers Leonard or Tyler Zeller and get an extra piece in the trade as a backup, like Mbah a Moute if we lost SJax

Thomas82
06-09-2012, 02:00 AM
If he leaves in a trade, I bet he comes back as a free agent for another run if Duncan and Manu are still here in the 13/14 season

That's just what I was thinking.

Roger Freemason Jr.
06-09-2012, 03:12 AM
Don't forget about DeColo coming over next season.
Bruno said so.

baseline bum
06-09-2012, 03:13 AM
Honestly though, I don't want to lose Jack even for #10 + Okafor. You just don't trade away a guy who has been a bigtime playoff performer for his entire career. Especially when he can swing between guarding the 3 and the 4.

TDMVPDPOY
06-09-2012, 03:52 AM
spurs get 10th pick, the trade that and get DMC

rascal
06-09-2012, 12:25 PM

Parker / ?
Green / Ginobili
Kawhi / ?
Duncan / Diaw? / Bonner
Okafor / Splitter

You give up jackson in a minute if you can make a major overhaul upgrade on the frontline. Amazing people are hesistant to make the deal.

rascal
06-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Honestly though, I don't want to lose Jack even for #10 + Okafor. You just don't trade away a guy who has been a bigtime playoff performer for his entire career. Especially when he can swing between guarding the 3 and the 4.

Jackson is soon to be over the hill. You make the deal in a second to upgrade the frontline.

baseline bum
06-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Jackson is soon to be over the hill. You make the deal in a second to upgrade the frontline.

Okafor looks over the hill already though.

SamoanTD
06-09-2012, 12:55 PM
If bobcats are shopping there pick it ain't going to be to the spurs tbh.

K-State Spur
06-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Point Guards don't win your team championships. Point Guards can be replaced. Talent like Drummond or Kidd-Gilchrist can take your team places.

a big who scouts openly question whether he even likes basketball & a wing who can't shoot?

yep, that's what i want to build the team around.

(both may well turn into nice players, but i feel fairly confident that neither are the #1 or #2 options on future championship teams)

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Okafor is a candy ass. No thanks, especially for Buckets.

This front office screwed royally by thinking it could go on the cheap and replacing Jackson with 'anyone' after 2003. We remedied one colossal front office screwup this spring, let's not repeat history.

tesseractive
06-09-2012, 03:21 PM

This front office screwed royally by thinking it could go on the cheap and replacing Jackson with 'anyone' after 2003. We remedied one colossal front office screwup this spring, let's not repeat history.

Okafor looks exposed trying to be "the guy" in the paint. But he might look a lot better playing next to Tim. He's certainly not likely to be a franchise savior, but he might be a better option than any of the alternatives we currently have on the roster.

I don't watch enough college ball to have a strong opinion on any of the guys that might be available with #10. If there's a guy we think we can be an All-Star, then it would be worth trading Jack. I love having him back, but Kawhi's going to keep improving and his minutes will rise next year, which makes it easier to get by without him.

The reality is, we pretty well showed that we're not winning the title with the current lineup. So if we want to have a shot, we have to try to improve. If the opportunity presents itself, that means taking the risk of trading known quantities for unknown. So if we think we can get better value by trading Jack, or even Tony, I'm in favor of it -- despite the fact that I like both players.

Beanzamillion21
06-09-2012, 03:40 PM
This is not a shitty draft by any stretch of the imagination; it's probably the best one we'll see for years. Not that I would trade Parker for the #2 though, because

(1) The Spurs have proved they're able to contend if they can stay healthy, so might as well keep the core together and see if they can add an extra piece somewhere else or if Kawhi can follow his impressive rookie season with a breakout sophomore campaign.

(2) Kidd-Gilchrist is the best prospect after Davis, but getting him would mean trading Kawhi. Barnes is the next guy I'd want, and he's also a SF.

Agreed, this is a great draft for the Spurs. As someone stated earlier, the FO could trade for a top 10 turn it into 2 solid players in a sign and trade or one top ten player.

Beanzamillion21
06-09-2012, 03:42 PM
I really hope Pop sticks around for at least another 5 years or so with his track record of player development. That'll be a sad day to jump on that coaching carousel again that we saw in the 90s.

Or go to the FO and bring up Coach Bud.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-09-2012, 03:54 PM

Yes, thank you. I'm thrilled that Jack is finally back. The team is already paper soft/paper thin. I don't see how they could trade a proven big game player for unknown scraps. The team has signed way too many fragile players over the years. The team is way better off with Jack in the locker room. I want him to retire a Spur if possible. He should never have left.

SilverSpur
06-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Bonner, Blair, Joseph and a 2nd rd pick for NO #10 and Okafor. Do not trade Neal or Mills. If push comes to shove, throw in the rights to someone we know we cant sign, example the player we got for Scola who retired and now wants to play again. He's from Greece.

SamoanTD
06-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Bonner, Blair, Joseph and a 2nd rd pick for NO #10 and Okafor. Do not trade Neal or Mills. If push comes to shove, throw in the rights to someone we know we cant sign, example the player we got for Scola who retired and now wants to play again. He's from Greece.

Why would NO do that? That's beyond down grading.

cd98
06-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Why would NO do that? That's beyond down grading.

I wouldn't do the deal, but NO would. They want space. 10th pick is a gamble to give up anyone significant. It's too high in the lottery. But it's high enough NO would rather gamble with the pick and the players upside rather than trade for a quality NBA player a step below an all star. The only trade that works is getting a bunch of expiring contracts to shed Okafor's salary. They will draft their big man of the future, resign Gordon, get in the high lottery next year, and sign a quality free agent next year with the savings from the expiring contract and they've got a Thunderesque team.

I just think 10 pick and Okafor keep us in the good not great catagory. And I want all hands on deck for the tankathon we will do to get Jabari Parker in two years.

Andthentherewas21
06-09-2012, 05:45 PM
I just think 10 pick and Okafor keep us in the good not great catagory. And I want all hands on deck for the tankathon we will do to get Jabari Parker in two years.

Okafor didn't keep the Hornets from being a lottery team this year.

As for the tankathon, the Spurs won't need to do anything to get there. When Duncan and Manu retire, especially if its at the same time, your talking about removing 2 of the foundations of a system that has already been shown to be fading with its Superstar. At that point there is no telling what the organization decides to do with Parker, or what Parker tells them he wants. There is going to be an overhaul of the entire system unless you find another Robinson/Duncan like presence in the paint.

Kawhi is a good player and could be a borderline all-star at that point, but take a look at teams with Andre Iguodala as their #1 option, and that is a best case scenario. Splitter is a great backup (most of the time), but is he the type of player your ride into the postseason? Green, Neal, bench seat warmed by Cory Joseph, ect, do any of those guys keep you out of the lottery without the big 3 there?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Okafor looks exposed trying to be "the guy" in the paint. But he might look a lot better playing next to Tim. He's certainly not likely to be a franchise savior, but he might be a better option than any of the alternatives we currently have on the roster.

I don't watch enough college ball to have a strong opinion on any of the guys that might be available with #10. If there's a guy we think we can be an All-Star, then it would be worth trading Jack. I love having him back, but Kawhi's going to keep improving and his minutes will rise next year, which makes it easier to get by without him.

The reality is, we pretty well showed that we're not winning the title with the current lineup. So if we want to have a shot, we have to try to improve. If the opportunity presents itself, that means taking the risk of trading known quantities for unknown. So if we think we can get better value by trading Jack, or even Tony, I'm in favor of it -- despite the fact that I like both players.

There's no one in this draft who is going to come out and drop 6-7 threes in a big game in the playoffs like Buckets just did... at least not at any point during the remainder of the Tim Duncan era.

So, yeah, gonna have to disagree with you here.

If you're shopping for a big, it's got to be someone who can go down and play on the low post and pass out of it to open shooters (so you can lift Tim out to the high post). That, or someone with a functional jumper but great help side defender (like an Ibaka). Okafor doesn't fill either of those roles.

The front office game plan for this summer needs to be to keep Tony, Tim, Manu, Jackson, Leonard, and Diaw, and use any other player not in that list to get better. Oh, and whatever it takes to get that sorry POS Bonner off this team by August 31.

Spur|n|Austin
06-09-2012, 06:48 PM

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/b26/deb/f63/resized/trumped-meme-generator-not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid-ef5e0f.jpg?1303872423.jpg

The_Worlds_finest
06-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I think Spurs could trade off Blair Anderson and Bonner for a mid lottery pick

Richie
06-09-2012, 07:20 PM

Aside from the fact that Anderson is a FA so can't be traded, that probably wouldn't even get us a late first rounder. Green, Neal or Splitter need to be involved to get to the lottery

The_Worlds_finest
06-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Aside from the fact that Anderson is a FA so can't be traded, that probably wouldn't even get us a late first rounder. Green, Neal or Splitter need to be involved to get to the lottery

Sign and trade em. I dont know what happen to him, he was doing pretty well 10-11 when given minutes. Also if by some act of God Spurs can land George Hill, Danny Green is gone.

rascal
06-09-2012, 08:26 PM

Your dreaming if you believe that. Trade the 3 worst players on the team for a lottery pick.

Your just like the guys who play fantasy sports who make the trade offers of packaging 3 of their worst players for your best player.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-09-2012, 08:50 PM

Bulls sure do miss Derrick Rose. They went from title contender to first round fodder.

Chris Paul took one of the worst franchise in all sports and made them fan favorites and into second round.

Steve Nash in his prime had Phoenix on the verge of NBA Finals.

Wade somehow carried his team past Mavericks to NBA Championship.

Magic Johnson turned the Lakers into a dynasty during some of the best years of basketball.

So yeah...a point guard can make a team a championship team.

ajballer4
06-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Bulls sure do miss Derrick Rose. They went from title contender to first round fodder.

Chris Paul took one of the worst franchise in all sports and made them fan favorites and into second round.

Steve Nash in his prime had Phoenix on the verge of NBA Finals.

Wade somehow carried his team past Mavericks to NBA Championship.

Magic Johnson turned the Lakers into a dynasty during some of the best years of basketball.

So yeah...a point guard can make a team a championship team.

PGs can carry a team. Wade isnt a PG though.

SenorSpur
06-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Spurs have no assets to trade.

Bobcats don't want old players, and we have old stars. And our young players are just role players with no all star possibilities except maybe Leonard.

So we have nothing to trade.

We can't bank on MJ making a dumb trade. Can we? Can we? No. They finally hired a competent GM.

Exactly the point. :tu

The Spurs would be better served by targeting a team that has a couple of middle-to-lower 1st round picks, like the Celtics (picks #21 & #22). Of course, nothing in this world is free. The Spurs, who already have very few assets, would have to part with something desirable in the Celitcs eyes. I'm not sure what that would be, but I would put faith in RC to identify the right deal.

Even if they are not successful moving up into the first round, I'd be happy if they could move up to the top of the second. A likely and more realistic target would perhaps be the Cavs, who own picks #33 & #34. There should still be a fine selection of bigs available at the top of that round.

SenorSpur
06-09-2012, 09:37 PM

Parker / ?
Green / Ginobili
Kawhi / ?
Duncan / Diaw? / Bonner
Okafor / Splitter

While I'd love to see the Spurs somehow be able to obtain the #10 pick from NO, the price will likely be too high. Besides, I hear that the Hornets will attach Okafor's killer contract to any trade proposals for that #10 pick.

I know Jack's contract is a tradeable asset, but I don't want the Spurs giving him up for any reason. Hell, the guy just returned and proved to be all that we could have hoped and remembered. THere's just no point in creating a hole at a current position of strength.

SenorSpur
06-09-2012, 09:49 PM

Agreed. For the fourth year in a row, the Spurs were exposed by not being able to get stops when they needed it and by allowing the opposition the occassional forays to the rim. I hope the front office has gotten the message that Tim can no longer by counted upon to be the sole center of defensive backline support for this club. He desparately needs help - and not the red-headed, choking-dog, stretch-4 variety nor the undersized PF types. They need additional size, strength, mobility and length to pair with Tim in his waning years.

dbreiden83080
06-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Shopping it for what? Bobcats need someone to build around is there really nobody at 2 that fits the bill??

No Thomas Robinson

maverick1948
06-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Looking at what some of you have posted, I realize that the Spurs are really in a sad position for trades. No trade assets, no cap space and one really stupid FO. WHAT?
This player has to be re-signed or that player has to be kept but we can trade for someone else's top draft pick and give up little or nothing.

PG Parker
SG Ginobili
SF Leonard
PF Duncan
C vacant

Anyone other player is available. Diaw is the one player I want to see gone. Talk about Bonner disappearing in the finals, they found Diaw at the ice cream stand in the middle of the 4th quarter of game 6. Splitter had better numbers than Diaw in less minutes. SJax is the one chip we have that will break loose a lottery pick. It allows a team to dump a bad contract on us in return for SJax. Neal, Blair, Green and Bonner are all good for a late 1st or early second if packaged right. Bonner might get us a pick around 45 to 60. Remember the Theo Ratliff trade? Ratliff for a protected 2nd pick next century. That may be what we can do with Bonner instead of amnesty, it saves money. A lot of teams cant take salary on so they have to move salary to get players or sell their 1st round pick for cash. 14 of the teams are over the 55 million mark with a cap about 60 mil. We need to try our luck with these teams to get their 1st round pick. Use the assets we have to obtain what we can.

tesseractive
06-10-2012, 11:59 AM
There's no one in this draft who is going to come out and drop 6-7 threes in a big game in the playoffs like Buckets just did... at least not at any point during the remainder of the Tim Duncan era.

So, yeah, gonna have to disagree with you here.

If you're shopping for a big, it's got to be someone who can go down and play on the low post and pass out of it to open shooters (so you can lift Tim out to the high post). That, or someone with a functional jumper but great help side defender (like an Ibaka). Okafor doesn't fill either of those roles.

The front office game plan for this summer needs to be to keep Tony, Tim, Manu, Jackson, Leonard, and Diaw, and use any other player not in that list to get better. Oh, and whatever it takes to get that sorry POS Bonner off this team by August 31.

Okafor is a pretty decent player on the low block, but I definitely agree that he's not a guy who can draw the double team and be the focal point for the offense the way Tim was. But he does bring some pretty useful skills: he's a superior man defender in the post, he's a dead-solid rebounder on both ends of the court, and he has a jumper that's good out to 9 feet or so. Basically, a rich man's Kendrick Perkins.

Getting him would give Tim a break on defense (especially against the Bynums and Dwight Howards of the world), and allow him to focus more on help defense and guarding mobile 4s or the opposing team's second-best big.

The fact that he at least has a short range jumper means he's more functional in the offense than Blair, but there's no question that he isn't an ideal fit.

There's indeed nobody we can get that will hit 6 of 7 3s in a big playoff game. It will make me sad to lose StackJack. But if we can shore up our defense and rebounding and also get a major new piece through the draft, we get major impact every game, and not just a guy who can get hot for stretches.

As I said before, it all comes down to how much we like the guys who are available at #10. If we think we can get an All-Star out of the deal, I think we have to do it. Kawhi came in and helped us a lot this year, and he was a lower pick in a weaker draft.

Think about any position on the floor and imagine an All-Star there. An All-Star stretch 4 / shot-blocking help defender. An All-Star penetrating wing with 3-point range to play next to Kawhi who could force double teams that create open shots for everyone else. All All-Star center to be our defensive anchor for the next 10 years. As much as I love Captain Jack, I take the trade if one of these guys is available. And again, if we don't think we can get that level of talent, we don't do the deal.

BackHome
06-10-2012, 12:54 PM
It is going to be a crazy summer and I hope the Spurs can pull out something to make our team better. As far as players I would trade anyone who could make our team better but we know Timmy, Manu, and Tony are not on the block.

SJ - I like him but for the right pick or player I would trade him.
Neal - He is cheap but is not a starter but has no ball handles
Green - I don't know what happened I liked him until I found out he can't dribble -no ball handling skills and no balls
Blair - Doesn't take game serious needed to be in shape - trade
Diaw - I like him but he doesn't give us enough defense and no offense in his game.

Bonner - I DON'T CARE EVEN IF WE HAVE TO PAY SOMEONE TO TAKE HIM GET HIM THE HELL OFF THIS TEAM!:ihit

TDMVPDPOY
06-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Exactly the point. :tu

The Spurs would be better served by targeting a team that has a couple of middle-to-lower 1st round picks, like the Celtics (picks #21 & #22). Of course, nothing in this world is free. The Spurs, who already have very few assets, would have to part with something desirable in the Celitcs eyes. I'm not sure what that would be, but I would put faith in RC to identify the right deal.

celtics might be rebuilding, i dont think they throwing those picks away....

CGD
06-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I'll probably get crucified in here for saying this, but if you were rooting for the Spurs to enter rebuild mode, this would be the summer to do it tbh.

From a $$ point of view you have 2 expiring contracts of over $10M for players in Sjax and Manu, who would be more than mere dead weight on a team in the final years of there respective deals, which the Spurs could package with intriguing young prospects like Blair, Neal, and Green. Plus the Spurs have a VERY reasonable contract for TP who is in his prime.

Obviously it all depends on TD's decision THIS summer, and it seems he'll reup for another year or two. And it would be very unpopular with the fan --Jerry Krause in Chicago in 1999 unpopular -- but if you were looking at it from the business side only I think you make the moves.

kaji157
06-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Okafor didn't keep the Hornets from being a lottery team this year.

As for the tankathon, the Spurs won't need to do anything to get there. When Duncan and Manu retire, especially if its at the same time, your talking about removing 2 of the foundations of a system that has already been shown to be fading with its Superstar. At that point there is no telling what the organization decides to do with Parker, or what Parker tells them he wants. There is going to be an overhaul of the entire system unless you find another Robinson/Duncan like presence in the paint.

Kawhi is a good player and could be a borderline all-star at that point, but take a look at teams with Andre Iguodala as their #1 option, and that is a best case scenario. Splitter is a great backup (most of the time), but is he the type of player your ride into the postseason? Green, Neal, bench seat warmed by Cory Joseph, ect, do any of those guys keep you out of the lottery without the big 3 there?
This is why the Spurs should add Oden, just in case he turns out to be able to play in the next two seasons. He is taking this season off so he could be had for cheap if you accept that. Say 3 years at league minium fully guaranteed, gives you bird rights on the player, the right to monitor and mold up both the player and their recovery process. Dallas took a shot with Mahinmi and it payed off a bit, we are talking about taking a lesser shot with a higher reward player, if it pans out well it the best move in years, if not, just lost 3 millions.

ducks
06-10-2012, 04:40 PM
if boston starts over do they trade ronda for the 2 and 10 pick

GrandeDavid
06-10-2012, 05:17 PM

No way Charlotte would do that deal.

GrandeDavid
06-10-2012, 05:18 PM

LOL! This was the funny comment of the day!

Marcus Bryant
06-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Why are we trading Jack you fucking commies?

SamoanTD
06-10-2012, 05:33 PM
why are we trading jack you fucking commies?

+1

Prime Time
06-10-2012, 05:52 PM
1. Bobcats wouldn't want Tony Parker. The want to develop Kemba. It was awkward enough having to jam DJ's minutes into the rotation, now that he's off the books I doubt they'd want to bring back the issue by acquiring TP.

2. Not to sound paranoid.. but I think I'd rather have the 3rd pick. Something about the 2nd pick horrifies me :lol. Ever since 2000 there have been nothing but busts.

2000- Stromile Swift
2001- Tyson Chandler
2002- Jay Williams
2003- Darko Milicic
2004- Emeka Okafor
2005- Marvin Williams
2006- LaMarcus Aldridge
2007- Kevin Durant (big-time exception)
2008- Michael Beasly
2009- Hasheem Thabeet
2010- Evan Turner
2011- Derrick Williams
2012- Thomas Robinson (?)
Total: 4 All-Star apperances, 3 Rings, 3 players on atleast 1 NBA-All Team.