PDA

View Full Version : New Manu Article

ElNono
06-09-2012, 03:40 AM
Despite the frustration, it was a good year

SAN ANTONIO.- The night after the game was the most difficult. It's the return trip home that you don't want to make, with all of your teammates with their heads down, without saying a word. Afterwards, you can't sleep, a thousand things flow through your head. Your body relaxes because the stress is over and everything hurts. That said, at 7:30 at home the biological clock of the kids wake you up and that heals everything.

We don't have any regrets. It gets to a point where you're playing a team that plays better than yours and beats you, full stop. It might sound simple, but that's all there is in professional sports. Oklahoma City has more talent than we do and they beat us fair and square.

I don't think the series was determined by X and O's, like they like to call here to tactical matters. They have an above average talent and they used it when it mattered the most. Things for them were easy, natural, they could always find a good shot. For us it was a lot harder to find those shots.

As far as talent, it really stood out in the 4th game, when we were playing really well. We had the game close and Kevin Durant took full control. He's super long, 6'11, but he looks 7 feet tall. He gets confident and you can't stop him. We didn't know what to do! There's just no stopping him. If you double team he still scores or finds an open teammate that can shoot the ball. He's the kind of player that makes things like this happen. He was the guy that tilted the balance in the decisive moments.

We also have had somebody like that when we won championships, with some shot from Robert Horry in 2005, or with some shot from Tony in 2007. There's always plays like that which end up deciding who wins such an even series. This time, Durant made them.

Regardless of that, it's logical that it hurts because we were up 2-0 and just seeing yourself so close to the objective, after a great season, starts growing hopes.

The balance in general was amazing. Nobody really predicted we would get that far. Even more so, some people thought we wouldn't even make the playoffs, and, as usual, we found a way to stand out and finish 1st in the Western Conference during the regular season, which is the most even and difficult conference. And we finished first with a great number of wins, playing well and working through injuries.

Pop did a terrific job giving extra playing time to the young players, some of which were completely unknown, like Danny Green; Gary Neal, who played with us last season but was undrafted; Kawhi Leonard, a starting quality 20 year old rookie, and Tiago, who had a great season, all of which were great additions to the usual core.

Clearly we exceeded the expectations. I don't finish the season happy, because I'm on one of the best teams in the NBA, and the objective is always finish as a champion. But if I take a step back from the frustration, I quickly realize it was a good year.

About the future, I can say it will be the same. Everybody says the window is closing, that we have no chance, that we're too old, but we keep on being up there. We again finished atop the West. I don't know if we can trot the same team next season, I'm not sure what's the situation with guys whose contracts ended, but I'm sure Tim will re-sign and continue to be with us. And I blindly trust that the front office and Pop will put together again a team with chances to fight for a championship, which is what I always felt in the 10 seasons I've played in the NBA. We're going to have a solid team next season, and we're going to fight again at the top.

What I have now are some short vacations and in two weeks I'll be in a Buenos Aires with the national team. Somehow it's good not to be sitting down for long, because after so many years, it's always harder to start from zero and killing the rhythm for long makes training camp more difficult. So, a quick rest and then to put my head in London.

Manu

timvp
06-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Wise words by Manu. :tu

TE
06-09-2012, 04:19 AM
Can't wait to see how Argentina does in London... I hope Manu doesn't over exert himself but considering how this is (probably) his last reasonable chance to play for his country, I wouldn't expect anything less than his all tbh.

spursparker9
06-09-2012, 04:29 AM
Argentina and France are in the same group with USA right? I am not familiar with the rule, so only 2 teams from each group are able to reach the quarter-final right?

venitian navigator
06-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Good article and class act...but I'm sure he also thinks the same of Tim...(meaning OKC has gotten all the possible calls).

Rapper
06-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Wise words by Manu. :tu

temujin
06-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Manu has such un unusual psychology that he might even believe in what he writes.
pretty amazing to me.

temujin
06-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Argentina and France are in the same group with USA right? I am not familiar with the rule, so only 2 teams from each group are able to reach the quarter-final right?

Lithuania/Russia/Greece might join.

In the other group the only decent team is Spain and the one which will qualify. By pure chance, that's the group where the home team is in.

Rapper
06-09-2012, 07:30 AM
I always said we can trade all guys except for Duncan, but after reading the article Manu is count into the club with Timmy.

Rapper
06-09-2012, 07:34 AM
ElNONO I know you are MANU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carina_gino20
06-09-2012, 07:53 AM
That opening paragraph was heartbreaking and yet he puts everything in their proper perspective. In the end, it's just a game.

boutons_deux
06-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Manu has such un unusual psychology that he might even believe in what he writes.
pretty amazing to me.

yes, unusual in that's he's a (rare) mature adult.

Kamnik
06-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Awsome read. Got to love Manu!

Sa_Spursfan20
06-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Props to Manu for putting things into perspective. Like others have said around here after the loss, it was a frustrating and disappointing end to a potential championship season, but in retrospect it really was a great season for the team.

Either way, I'll be rooting for Manu in the Olympics as always this year.

ElNono
06-09-2012, 11:45 AM
ElNONO I know you are MANU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol

SpursFaninMS
06-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Despite the frustration, it was a good year

SAN ANTONIO.- The night after the game was the most difficult. It's the return trip home that you don't want to make, with all of your teammates with their heads down, without saying a word. Afterwards, you can't sleep, a thousand things flow through your head. Your body relaxes because the stress is over and everything hurts. That said, at 7:30 at home the biological clock of the kids wake you up and that heals everything.

We don't have any regrets. It gets to a point where you're playing a team that plays better than yours and beats you, full stop. It might sound simple, but that's all there is in professional sports. Oklahoma City has more talent than we do and they beat us fair and square.

I don't think the series was determined by X and O's, like they like to call here to tactical matters. They have an above average talent and they used it when it mattered the most. Things for them were easy, natural, they could always find a good shot. For us it was a lot harder to find those shots.

As far as talent, it really stood out in the 4th game, when we were playing really well. We had the game close and Kevin Durant took full control. He's super long, 6'11, but he looks 7 feet tall. He gets confident and you can't stop him. We didn't know what to do! There's just no stopping him. If you double team he still scores or finds an open teammate that can shoot the ball. He's the kind of player that makes things like this happen. He was the guy that tilted the balance in the decisive moments.

We also have had somebody like that when we won championships, with some shot from Robert Horry in 2005, or with some shot from Tony in 2007. There's always plays like that which end up deciding who wins such an even series. This time, Durant made them.

Regardless of that, it's logical that it hurts because we were up 2-0 and just seeing yourself so close to the objective, after a great season, starts growing hopes.

The balance in general was amazing. Nobody really predicted we would get that far. Even more so, some people thought we wouldn't even make the playoffs, and, as usual, we found a way to stand out and finish 1st in the Western Conference during the regular season, which is the most even and difficult conference. And we finished first with a great number of wins, playing well and working through injuries.

Pop did a terrific job giving extra playing time to the young players, some of which were completely unknown, like Danny Green; Gary Neal, who played with us last season but was undrafted; Kawhi Leonard, a starting quality 20 year old rookie, and Tiago, who had a great season, all of which were great additions to the usual core.

Clearly we exceeded the expectations. I don't finish the season happy, because I'm on one of the best teams in the NBA, and the objective is always finish as a champion. But if I take a step back from the frustration, I quickly realize it was a good year.

About the future, I can say it will be the same. Everybody says the window is closing, that we have no chance, that we're too old, but we keep on being up there. We again finished atop the West. I don't know if we can trot the same team next season, I'm not sure what's the situation with guys whose contracts ended, but I'm sure Tim will re-sign and continue to be with us. And I blindly trust that the front office and Pop will put together again a team with chances to fight for a championship, which is what I always felt in the 10 seasons I've played in the NBA. We're going to have a solid team next season, and we're going to fight again at the top.

What I have now are some short vacations and in two weeks I'll be in a Buenos Aires with the national team. Somehow it's good not to be sitting down for long, because after so many years, it's always harder to start from zero and killing the rhythm for long makes training camp more difficult. So, a quick rest and then to put my head in London.

Manu

Class article and very wise.

This also is a good example of how having proven yourself as a winner, experience, maturity, and having more important things in your life than basketball (kids) has naturally taken away from a hunger that our players used to have and other, younger teams do have.

It shows growth and maturity as a person. Guys who kept that full intensity, like Jordan, are insane and cannot survive life post-basketball. You simply accept losing easier because it just isn't that big of a deal anymore--you've proven yourself and your primary concern isn't basketball.

But it puts you at a disadvantage mentally and emotionally because you simply don't want it, or need it, AS MUCH as younger players. If Durant ended up losing this series when he played poorly in the elimination game, what do you think he would be doing? You wouldn't hear a word from him He'd be infuriated and immediately going right back to the gym and working on his game and thinking about nothing else.

Manu and Tim can stick around, for sure. But we need more hungry players that can be emotional leaders. We need some youth where winning and losing is everything to them--like it was to Manu before.

mVp
06-09-2012, 01:26 PM
I actually feel better after reading this.

Manu is awesome.

spurs10
06-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Sounds like Tony a year ago, 'our window is closed.' That's not very encouraging, but it may be the truth. I don't feel like they would have lost the last game if the officiating wasn't so one sided. Perhaps it wasn't a fix, but it sure looked like it. Yes Durant in game 4 was the strongest performance by any one player, but TP in game 2, Manu in game 5, and Jack in game 6 were pretty great. I guess he's saying, the often spoken belief, that you can't win without a superstar. Again.....not very encouraging, but I respect his candor. Next year with most of our payroll going to the Tim, Manu, and TP, we certainly don't stand a chance.... I reckon.
It was a very entertaining year until the wheels came off....

silverblk mystix
06-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Class article and very wise.

This also is a good example of how having proven yourself as a winner, experience, maturity, and having more important things in your life than basketball (kids) has naturally taken away from a hunger that our players used to have and other, younger teams do have.

It shows growth and maturity as a person. Guys who kept that full intensity, like Jordan, are insane and cannot survive life post-basketball. You simply accept losing easier because it just isn't that big of a deal anymore--you've proven yourself and your primary concern isn't basketball.

But it puts you at a disadvantage mentally and emotionally because you simply don't want it, or need it, AS MUCH as younger players. If Durant ended up losing this series when he played poorly in the elimination game, what do you think he would be doing? You wouldn't hear a word from him He'd be infuriated and immediately going right back to the gym and working on his game and thinking about nothing else.

Manu and Tim can stick around, for sure. But we need more hungry players that can be emotional leaders. We need some youth where winning and losing is everything to them--like it was to Manu before.

This is a very, very good point.

It is also something I have tried to get across here regarding Pop but you did a much better job than I have. :toast

A double-edged sword regarding Pop;

What makes him such a good rounded and evolved person makes him a great coach, a great sportsman, a great personnel director, etc.

also

Makes him someone who knows that life is more important than winning at all costs, makes him accept defeat a little easier than a young hungry bastard who still wants to win at all costs. He also can give up/wave the white flag easier.

Unfortunately when it comes to winning titles...it is rare to keep winning titles and to keep a great perspective on life.

Reminds me of when Jimmy Johnson won superbowls for the cowboys--he was the hungriest, hardest working bastard and ball-breaker in all of sports and he simply would not ALLOW the cowboys to lose.

He arrived @ Miami a champion with a belly full of titles and he wasn't the same guy that would sleep on the couch in the coach's office-and he sucked as a coach.

Fat and satisfied will not win you titles.

SpursFaninMS
06-09-2012, 03:00 PM
This is a very, very good point.

It is also something I have tried to get across here regarding Pop but you did a much better job than I have. :toast

A double-edged sword regarding Pop;

What makes him such a good rounded and evolved person makes him a great coach, a great sportsman, a great personnel director, etc.

also

Makes him someone who knows that life is more important than winning at all costs, makes him accept defeat a little easier than a young hungry bastard who still wants to win at all costs. He also can give up/wave the white flag easier.

Unfortunately when it comes to winning titles...it is rare to keep winning titles and to keep a great perspective on life.

Reminds me of when Jimmy Johnson won superbowls for the cowboys--he was the hungriest, hardest working bastard and ball-breaker in all of sports and he simply would not ALLOW the cowboys to lose.

He arrived @ Miami a champion with a belly full of titles and he wasn't the same guy that would sleep on the couch in the coach's office-and he sucked as a coach.

Fat and satisfied will not win you titles.

Good comparison.

I've said we remind me of Roger Federer: He used to cry every time he lost a major, come back, and destroy people in revenge. He HATED losing.

Now, he has a kid and the record, and he smiles when he loses and is accepting. It is no coincidence that he can't win a title since he became that way.

ploto
06-09-2012, 03:17 PM
I get a little tired of the whole window closed bit when the Celtics are still fighting. They had their supposed Big Three: KG is as old as Duncan and he has more NBA years on his body, Pierce is the same age as Manu and also obviously has more NBA years, Allen is obviously older than Parker. The difference is that Boston was smart enough to develop a young guy in Rondo. Now there are games where he is the best player on the floor and he has youth. The Spurs have themselves to blame for being unwilling to deal with the growing pains of a couple of young guys until this year.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-09-2012, 03:23 PM
This is why I don't like anyone who has ever said that Ginobili should be traded. Ginobili and Duncan need to retire in San Antonio and nowhere else.

dunkman
06-09-2012, 03:57 PM
The Celtics never panic, they can beat their opponents on the road. It's true what Manu says, since game 3, OKC got easier shots and were able to force the Spurs take bad shots. Too bad Pop didn't make the adjustments in time.

Budkin
06-09-2012, 04:03 PM
That took a little bit of the sting away.

SenorSpur
06-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Some very well-thought out words from Manu.

kaji157
06-09-2012, 06:05 PM
I get a little tired of the whole window closed bit when the Celtics are still fighting. They had their supposed Big Three: KG is as old as Duncan and he has more NBA years on his body, Pierce is the same age as Manu and also obviously has more NBA years, Allen is obviously older than Parker. The difference is that Boston was smart enough to develop a young guy in Rondo. Now there are games where he is the best player on the floor and he has youth. The Spurs have themselves to blame for being unwilling to deal with the growing pains of a couple of young guys until this year.

Yet, other than Leonard it was the younges and hungriest Spurs palers which dissapeared, because when the series where hot it was the Manu, Tony, Tim and Sjax against all OKC players from Fisher to Cook.

ploto
06-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Yet, other than Leonard it was the younges and hungriest Spurs palers which dissapeared, because when the series where hot it was the Manu, Tony, Tim and Sjax against all OKC players from Fisher to Cook.

But you have to be willing to go through that to get them to grow. If the Spurs ship out Green, Neal... then they are not giving them the means to mature. Remember TP in his early play-off series?

MannyIsGod
06-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Seriously, ploto? The Spurs havne't been able to get someone like Rondo because the've consistently been the best in the league while the Celtics were stinking it up and getting higher draft picks. Rondo was drafted 22st (which is still higher than any recent Spurs pick not traded for) and half the league blew it considering where he was picked.

They got lucky. It had nothing to do with willingness. They thought Randy Foye was better than him for crying out loud.

MannyIsGod
06-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Also, its not a given that a player is going to get better if you "give him room to grow". For all anyone knows, Green hit his peak. There's no reason to get rid of Neal but there's also no reason to bring back Danny Green if he recieves an offer that he's not worth. The Spurs developed George Hill and so far have done that with Kawhi. They drafted Tiago well.

The Spurs have done incredibly well with recent low draft picks so you pointing to a team like Boston who has wasted lottery picks like crazy is hillarious.

spurs10
06-10-2012, 01:04 AM
I am a huge fan of Manu's and definitely want him in SA until his retirement. He is a man of integrity just like Tim. I have read this letter a few times and I'm still not sure exactly what to think. For instance, if X's and O's have noting to do with it, were games 1 & 2 just flukes. If OKC was so much more talented than us, then how did we have them down 2-0. It does sound like he's saying we'll be near the top always , but never again will we win a championship in this era. It was a great year and a brutal ending to it all.......

ElNono
06-10-2012, 01:16 AM
tbh, where are people getting from that writeup that "he's not hungry" or that "never again will we win a championship in this era" ???

OKC was the better, more talented team this season. Spurs can improve. OKC will have to make decisions and might lose one of Harden or Ibaka. Look at Dallas for a team that was a champ one season, and barely made the playoff the next one. It might not happen just like that for OKC, but you just never know. Injuries at inopportune times, matchups, etc. Anything can happen in the future. That's why we watch.

jjktkk
06-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Thanks for sharing El.

spurs10
06-10-2012, 01:33 AM
tbh, where are people getting from that writeup that "he's not hungry" or that "never again will we win a championship in this era" ???

OKC was the better, more talented team this season. Spurs can improve. OKC will have to make decisions and might lose one of Harden or Ibaka. Look at Dallas for a team that was a champ one season, and barely made the playoff the next one. It might not happen just like that for OKC, but you just never know. Injuries at inopportune times, matchups, etc. Anything can happen in the future. That's why we watch.
I agree with you and hope we do make improvements for a better shot next year. I guess I misinterpeted his statements about how we no longer have someone that can make the big shots like 05 and 07. I thought Manu, TP, and Jack were right there and the first couple of games were not a fluke.

spurs10
06-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Thanks for sharing El.
:toast