PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is going on?

benefactor
06-09-2012, 11:49 AM
My best friend just found out that he's being shipped out in November...not sure where yet but they said somewhere in Southeast Asia. He's been home for years now and has a wife, a young son and a career. What the fuck is this country getting involved in now where they have to call up a reserve(Navy) who hasn't been overseas in years and has basically started a new life? Anyone else know someone that's being called up?

Heath Ledger
06-09-2012, 12:15 PM
It goes with the territory. You are made well aware of the possibility of this happening when you sign up. It sucsk when it does happen but its part of your friends duty.

ElNono
06-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Gotta justify all that military spending...

boutons_deux
06-09-2012, 01:14 PM
American (Economic) Empire flexing its muscles and countering China all over the Pacific.

The MIC is insatiable and will fabricate all kinds bogus bullshit threats to sustain and enrich itself with Human-Americans being sucked dry. "We're broke" (the 99% is, the 1% is robbing us into poverty)

If you don't want to serve, don't sign up.

btw, I read the US is planning a huge build up at Cam Ranh Bay, which they built in the VN war, then lost and abandoned to the Communists.

benefactor
06-09-2012, 01:59 PM
I know good and well that it's part of the gig. What I don't understand is that he has already been to Iraq and Afghanistan and was a recruiter for 7 years before that. He's in his mid-30's and has done more than enough to "serve his country." His son is partially autistic and he just found out his wife has a heart condition. It's bullshit that he has to go back again. This country is trillions of dollars in debt...yet we are paying to re-activate a 30 something with a family.

I guess my rant is less about military responsibility and more about the US not being able to keep it's nose out of other people's business...and watching my buddy pay the price for it.

Wild Cobra
06-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Ask the democrats what they plan to accomplish in Asia now.

boutons_deux
06-09-2012, 02:42 PM
the MIC is not under control of Dems or Repugs. It's out of control, and non-partisan.

Wild Cobra
06-09-2012, 02:49 PM
the MIC is not under control of Dems or Repugs. It's out of control, and non-partisan.
The CinC is a democrat. Why didn't he say no?

desflood
06-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I guess my rant is less about military responsibility and more about the US not being able to keep it's nose out of other people's business...and watching my buddy pay the price for it.
We've had multiple people ship out to Iraq, Afghanistan, Qatar... my husband was scheduled for Qatar but his deployment was cancelled when he had to have emergency surgery. We actually were lucky; some friends of ours, a married couple, had a tough couple of years. She went to Iraq for over a year, leaving him alone to care for their four kids, the oldest of whom is severely mentally and physically disabled. When she came back, he was sent to Afghanistan for a year. He came back and retired, she's still in. Military families just know that being apart sometimes is the price that has to be paid. Somebody's got to do it :lol

ploto
06-09-2012, 03:22 PM
The US has had a completely volunteer military for decades.

Wild Cobra
06-09-2012, 03:30 PM
True, but what's so pressing that they need to bring in the reserves? This doesn't pass the smell test. We have left Iraq, why can't the regular forces handle this?

I guess this CinC doesn't want to be reelected.

mavs>spurs
06-09-2012, 03:50 PM
may be getting ready for WW3 tbh..russia and china have already made it clear not to fuck with iran and they keep trying to go about it anyway

CosmicCowboy
06-09-2012, 03:57 PM
It depends what his specialty is. They are in the process of moving 60% of the fleet to the Pacific and retiring a lot of old ships and bringing some new state of the art ships on line. There will be a hell of a lot of logistical stuff happening in the next few years with the Navy.

Wild Cobra
06-09-2012, 04:07 PM
It depends what his specialty is. They are in the process of moving 60% of the fleet to the Pacific and retiring a lot of old ships and bringing some new state of the art ships on line. There will be a hell of a lot of logistical stuff happening in the next few years with the Navy.
I still don't see that necessitating bringing in those on reserve status. If they need more bodies, then enlist more, or ask those on reserve status if they would like to go active temporarily. I'm sure there are enough without a job right now they would welcome the pay.

benefactor
06-09-2012, 04:10 PM
I figured that out in second grade. Thanks for reminding me though.

I don't know that he really had a specialty. He was a recruiter for years then went active and headed overseas because he needed the money. AFAIK, they wouldn't need him for any type of skill specific situation.

benefactor
06-09-2012, 04:15 PM
It just seems weird to me that he would be called to go back...unless our war mongering nation is getting ready to get into more shit it doesn't need to be into.

mavs>spurs
06-09-2012, 04:17 PM
It just seems weird to me that he would be called to go back...unless our war mongering nation is getting ready to get into more shit it doesn't need to be into.

oh that's exactly what is happening

desflood
06-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Haven't you been reading all year about Iran, China, Syria? It's coming.

AussieFanKurt
06-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Man, the USA spend bulk money on military don't they? I figured Obama as someone who might lower it just because he seems like a rational guy and it could be used elsewhere

ploto
06-09-2012, 06:49 PM
I figured that out in second grade. Thanks for reminding me though.

I know that you know but it is in response to people who complain about being deployed when they enlisted voluntarily or when people in the reserves complain about being called up when they surely were glad to take the pay and benefits that went with it.

It is like any job-- when you go to work and are told to do something that goes with the job you voluntarily took. What do people in the military think they are getting paid for and what do people in the reserves think they are getting paid for? It is not meant to lessen their sacrifices but they did make those decisions freely.

You complained because your friend has a new life that this will disturb. So why is he in the reserves then?

MannyIsGod
06-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I know that you know but it is in response to people who complain about being deployed when they enlisted voluntarily or when people in the reserves complain about being called up when they surely were glad to take the pay and benefits that went with it.

It is like any job-- when you go to work and are told to do something that goes with the job you voluntarily took. What do people in the military think they are getting paid for and what do people in the reserves think they are getting paid for? It is not meant to lessen their sacrifices but they did make those decisions freely.

You complained because your friend has a new life that this will disturb. So why is he in the reserves then?

Thats a pretty shallow look at things. Just because you sign up doesnt mean you can't complain at what you feel is improper use of the military.

ploto
06-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Thats a pretty shallow look at things. Just because you sign up doesnt mean you can't complain at what you feel is improper use of the military.

You know when you sign up that they get to do with you what they want-- right?

It seems this guy in the reserves would be complaining no matter what the mission.

I feel that way about any job you take voluntarily. If it is part of your job description, then you better be ready to do it.

MannyIsGod
06-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Thats all fine and dandy, but people sign up with an understanding that the military will be used responsibly. Complaining about military misuse isn't something you can't do simply because you signed up for the military voluntarily.

The job description is to defend the United States. Its not to go off and play international cop or imperial soldier.

spursncowboys
06-09-2012, 07:20 PM
although I agree, technically that can get you kicked out now a days.

I honestly don't think anything is going on since they are still downsizing the army to pre ww2 era. by the time they're done with cutting 15 brigades, we won't have a big enough army to do much. especially policing dictators.

Heath Ledger
06-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Your argument about us being trillions in debt is a moot point. Activating your friend is saving uncle Sam money from having to retrain somebody. It sucks when it happens but he signed up for it. Im sure your crying more about it than your friend is. My guess is you haven't served.

benefactor
06-09-2012, 08:24 PM
My argument lies in sending out soldiers to fight meaningless wars. You are right about it being cheaper, but it shouldn't happen at all.

He's pretty pissed actually. He and I have been texting back and forth all day. He feels as I do...that he's done more than enough and it's time to let him live his life.

Manny summed up well my thoughts pretty well.

Wild Cobra
06-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Man, the USA spend bulk money on military don't they? I figured Obama as someone who might lower it just because he seems like a rational guy and it could be used elsewhere
LOL...

You're joking right?

rational...

LOL...

LOL...

trying to make me die laughing?

Wild Cobra
06-10-2012, 02:03 AM

This is just wrong. The reserve units are just that. Reserve. They are to be used in time of crisis. Not at the whim of a president who doesn't want to support levels to daily task needs.

Wild Cobra
06-10-2012, 02:05 AM
You know when you sign up that they get to do with you what they want-- right?

It seems this guy in the reserves would be complaining no matter what the mission.

I feel that way about any job you take voluntarily. If it is part of your job description, then you better be ready to do it.
I will assume you have no respect for those who join the military. How can you have such a shallow concept of what "reserve" means?

Wild Cobra
06-10-2012, 02:08 AM
Your argument about us being trillions in debt is a moot point. Activating your friend is saving uncle Sam money from having to retrain somebody. It sucks when it happens but he signed up for it. Im sure your crying more about it than your friend is. My guess is you haven't served.

Still the wrong idea.

If you use up the reserve force for routine assignments, then what contingency do you have should you need to immediately increase manpower? If we exhaust our trained forces, then we are fucked.

Wild Cobra
06-10-2012, 02:11 AM
My argument lies in sending out soldiers to fight meaningless wars. You are right about it being cheaper, but it shouldn't happen at all.

He's pretty pissed actually. He and I have been texting back and forth all day. He feels as I do...that he's done more than enough and it's time to let him live his life.

Manny summed up well my thoughts pretty well.
It's not for us to decide if a war is meaningless or not. We can judge those responsible at the next election.

Your friend has every right to be pissed. Obama is so fucked up to use reserve forces in this case. If he does this on a large enough scale, he will with no doubt, lose in November.

ElNono
06-10-2012, 03:00 AM
It's not for us to decide if a war is meaningless or not.

:lol rational

SnakeBoy
06-10-2012, 11:50 AM
As is the case with all military service branches, Reservists have the possibility of being deployed. There is no formula for determining who will deploy or when, where and for how long that might be. It comes down to what occupational specialties and operational units are needed at any given time, and who is best qualified and ready to serve those needs.

Your friend wanted to collect his pay & benefits and get to live a civilian life. It's a good gig if it works out but now he's got to go do what he agreed he would do Boo Hoo. I was a reservist and when I finished school, got married, and had a good career I got the fuck out. He should have done the same if he no longer wanted to be called up.

Bill_Brasky
06-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Your friend wanted to collect his pay & benefits and get to live a civilian life. It's a good gig if it works out but now he's got to go do what he agreed he would do Boo Hoo. I was a reservist and when I finished school, got married, and had a good career I got the fuck out. He should have done the same if he no longer wanted to be called up.

Wow, what an insightgul post full of information that OP already didn't know and things that weren't said already.

boutons_deux
06-10-2012, 01:36 PM
The CinC is a democrat. Why didn't he say no?

The MIC will resort to any extortion to get its way, much like BigFarma, BigPharma, Wall St.

The MIC is an irresistable force, along with the Nat Sec apparatus.

Koolaid_Man
06-10-2012, 02:16 PM
My best friend just found out that he's being shipped out in November...not sure where yet but they said somewhere in Southeast Asia. He's been home for years now and has a wife, a young son and a career. What the fuck is this country getting involved in now where they have to call up a reserve(Navy) who hasn't been overseas in years and has basically started a new life? Anyone else know someone that's being called up?

awww stop crying you should be able to find a new fuck buddy...remember Obama is no longer defending DOMA and got rid of don't ask don't tell :lol

CosmicCowboy
06-10-2012, 03:49 PM

That's actually how I see it. If you don't want to take the risk of getting called up, then don't take that check every month.

Now if you want to talk about a fucking, my dad was a fighter pilot in WWII and got out when it was over. No reserves, no nothing. He got married, started a family, and started a business. When Korea happened they drafted his ass, gave him two weeks to report, and took another 3 years he didn't sign up for.

SnakeBoy
06-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Wow, what an insightgul post full of information that OP already didn't know and things that weren't said already.

Yeah not as insightful as your post. Thanks for leading by example...good job, good effort!

Heath Ledger
06-10-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm not arguing that the situation doesn't suck for your friend. Im sure it does. I would be pretty bummed about it at fist also. However uncle same spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on your friends training and benefits and now its time to pay the piper and do his duty. Time for him to man up. It's not like hes getting sent to Saigon to a blood bath, or at least not yet.

spursncowboys
06-10-2012, 11:05 PM
If your friend wants to be a coward there are millions of ways of getting out of a deployment. I am not saying he is or anything negative about him.

SnakeBoy
06-11-2012, 12:07 AM
If your friend wants to be a coward there are millions of ways of getting out of a deployment. I am not saying he is or anything negative about him.

The guy has done tours in Iraq & Afgahnistan according to benefactor. If he finds a way to get out of deployment that won't make him a coward.

Goran Dragic
06-11-2012, 12:30 AM
:lol all the guys in your sig are heroes and they're dead. Maybe they shoulda worried a little less about looking like a coward and more about staying alive :lol

ElNono
06-11-2012, 12:34 AM
dayum :lol

mavs>spurs
06-11-2012, 01:38 AM
Been hearing that the military is trying to move most of their military assets out of the way of the radiation in order to preserve them and set up protection for our elites as they flee to radiation "safe zones." Much of the northern hemisphere is soon to become uninhabitable thanks to the Japs tbh.

Wild Cobra
06-11-2012, 02:48 AM
I agree with you, but unless this guy was like a Navy seal or something he didn't disclose, the claim is he was a recruiter. What skill does he have that merits being forced to go active?

Now in all fairness...

Benefactor...

This is a real important question for this thread. What are his job skills that they may need him so bad.

boutons_deux
06-11-2012, 05:32 AM

WC, our favorite sheeple.

"Just Trust Us (or we'll crush you: see Wilson/Plame/Manning/Tillman"

Ever citizen has every RIGHT AND RESPONSIBILITY to think and reason to his own conclusions.

Working, dominant assumption: the government (and in fact every big organization) is lying to you, if not outright screwing you, and should be treated by Human-Americans as an adversary (because it/they are).

Wild Cobra
06-11-2012, 05:37 AM
WC, our favorite sheeple.

"Just Trust Us (or we'll crush you: see Wilson/Plame/Manning/Tillman"

Ever citizen has every RIGHT AND RESPONSIBILITY to think and reason to his own conclusions.

Working, dominant assumption: the government (and in fact every big organization) is lying to you, if not outright screwing you, and should be treated by Human-Americans as an adversary (because it/they are).
It appears you completely failed to comprehend the rst of my post.

I never said we have no feedback. We put elected officials in office to decide. If we disagree with their decisions, as a whole, then next election cycle... They are out!

boutons_deux
06-11-2012, 06:27 AM
WC, our favorite sheeple, thinking

1) Human-Americans' votes count.

2) that a new group of elected people will actually do anyting for The American People, rather than protecting/enriching the 1% (war is a lucrative money-spinner)

benefactor
06-11-2012, 06:39 AM
I'm not arguing that the situation doesn't suck for your friend. Im sure it does. I would be pretty bummed about it at fist also. However uncle same spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on your friends training and benefits and now its time to pay the piper and do his duty. Time for him to man up. It's not like hes getting sent to Saigon to a blood bath, or at least not yet.
He's done plenty of manning up. He's been in Bahrain, Iraq and Afghanistan...and before he went overseas he was one of the best recruiters in this area. Can't give you and exact number of kids he brought in but I know he was recognized several times for it. And his reserve time is something he had to do. It was part of his agreement when he got out after coming back from overseas. If the choice was up to him he would have just walked away.

This is a real important question for this thread. What are his job skills that they may need him so bad.
He's a cop...patrol...nothing special. As I said above, before he went active he was a recruiter.

BlairForceDejuan
06-11-2012, 09:49 AM

No sense in complaining when your bosses are c#nts and you knew this going in.

Godspeed to your friend OP. :toast

ferg
06-11-2012, 11:14 AM
He's done plenty of manning up. He's been in Bahrain, Iraq and Afghanistan...and before he went overseas he was one of the best recruiters in this area. Can't give you and exact number of kids he brought in but I know he was recognized several times for it. And his reserve time is something he had to do. It was part of his agreement when he got out after coming back from overseas. If the choice was up to him he would have just walked away.

He's a cop...patrol...nothing special. As I said above, before he went active he was a recruiter.

maybe you and your friend needs to think about the other people who had to go through this exact same thing while he was hiding out and being a recruiter. from what it sounds like from these posts; he sounds selfish imo. i dont know him, just an observation. im fairly certain he is not the only one this has happned to.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Been hearing that the military is trying to move most of their military assets out of the way of the radiation in order to preserve them and set up protection for our elites as they flee to radiation "safe zones." Much of the northern hemisphere is soon to become uninhabitable thanks to the Japs tbh.
Are you hearing this from the same people who told you we were gonna deploy troops in Libya?

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-11-2012, 11:31 AM
:lmao what a sheepish thing to say. That's the attitude Germans took when Hitler decided to invade Poland/all of Europe.

When its our tax dollars financing the wars, our friends/family fighting the wars, and the politicians we elected in order to represent us and our views making decisions about the wars, how the fuck is it not for us to decide whether or not a war is meaningless :lmao

benefactor
06-11-2012, 11:34 AM
maybe you and your friend needs to think about the other people who had to go through this exact same thing while he was hiding out and being a recruiter. from what it sounds like from these posts; he sounds selfish imo. i dont know him, just an observation. im fairly certain he is not the only one this has happned to.
lol hiding out. What a faggot take. He recruited because he was a good salesman and that best fit his personality. He is responsible for shitload of sailors being in the Navy right now...and he went active voluntarily after that, knowing good and well he was going overseas. He's in his mid-thirties now with a job and a family. He wants to have a life. What exactly is selfish about that?

ferg
06-11-2012, 11:45 AM
lol hiding out. What a faggot take. He recruited because he was a good salesman and that best fit his personality. He is responsible for shitload of sailors being in the Navy right now...and he went active voluntarily after that, knowing good and well he was going overseas. He's in his mid-thirties now with a job and a family. He wants to have a life. What exactly is selfish about that?

faggot take? my time spent out of this country during my time in the military (9yrs) exceeds his so yeah IMO he was hiding out. he did his fucking job as a recruiter, congrats to him. i know plenty of people who missed kids being born, had marriages fall apart due to the strain of being gone and had loved ones (aunts, uncles etc..) pass away and couldnt be there for their family because they had a job to do. however, every fucking time they were tasked to go they went, no bitching or complaining. they were professionals in every sense of the word. thats what he gets paid to do. to go where the govt needs him. just because he went on a few jaunts overseas while he was active doesnt mean he wont ever go again. again he did his job. what is his job in the navy anyway?

also your statement about him being a salesman because it fits his personality pretty much contradicts him being a patrol officer. two VERY different personalities.

nothing selfish about wanting a family. whats selfish is bitching about having to leave. the government didnt issue him his family. its something he got into knowing very well he could be called to leave them one day. if he doesnt like it then he needs to get out.

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2012, 12:14 PM
you guys are in south east asia now, shit is brewing there atm over whatever sovereignty is in the south china seas that china wants to claim from the neighboring countries that also borders those waters.....

i think a philipinos in here know what im talkin about, they are having constant protest over some uninhibited island with mineral resources underneath being claimed by china....

Heath Ledger
06-11-2012, 12:20 PM
I agree with you, but unless this guy was like a Navy seal or something he didn't disclose, the claim is he was a recruiter. What skill does he have that merits being forced to go active?

Now in all fairness...

Benefactor...

you must have not ever served. you can have a very highly skilled job in the military and still be a recruiter.

Heath Ledger
06-11-2012, 12:22 PM
so your buddy is an mp in shore patrol? damn your buddy has some pretty shitty luck. that job is a dime a dozen. hard to believe hes being recalled to be an MP

benefactor
06-11-2012, 12:33 PM
He didn't really get interested in being a cop until after he got back.

I'm not sure what he does, but I know it wasn't an MP. I'll have to ask him. It's been years since we talked about anything relating to his active time because he doesn't really like to talk about it. I remember Iraq being rough on him.

The only thing I remember is that his dad works for Halliburton and when my friend got back his dad was trying to him a job there in some sort of supply position. Somehow it was related to what he did in the Navy. He didn't take it because he was still dealing with some PTSD and he needed time to get himself together.

RandomGuy
06-11-2012, 12:44 PM

I don't know, but find it unusual that they have called him out.

I would point out the recent strategic re-alignment that the US has done, increasing its focus on the Pacific rim as part of an oooh-so-delicate process of containing Chinese ambitions in the region.

We are picking up a lot of new friends who are more than a little concerned by Chinese sabre-rattling.

Hardliners in the Chinese government have been pushing for what I think is something of a self-defeating foreign policy.

China has been sinking a LOT of money into military modernization.

RandomGuy
06-11-2012, 12:45 PM
you guys are in south east asia now, shit is brewing there atm over whatever sovereignty is in the south china seas that china wants to claim from the neighboring countries that also borders those waters.....

i think a philipinos in here know what im talkin about, they are having constant protest over some uninhibited island with mineral resources underneath being claimed by china....

Don't forget the military junta in Myanmar's sudden change of heart.

Generals like that don't give up power unless they have good reason to.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2012/0208/Myanmar-s-about-face-5-recent-reforms/Holding-free-and-fair-elections

benefactor
06-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Talked to him just now...and it's a bit a decent news. Looks like more Afghanistan. He got word this morning. 6 months in Kandahar. He talked to his brother(Army) said it's a little less of a dust bowl over there since they paved the roads...but he said they've added like 50,000 troops to that location so the shit pond is going to be massive and foul.

So false alarm as far as anything new...but I still hate that he has to go. 50,000 troops? Why the hell do they need him?

CosmicCowboy
06-11-2012, 01:19 PM
I have a nephew that is a blackhawk pilot with the Texas guard and he has already done 6 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

boutons_deux
06-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Relax, it's all for a good cause. :lol

ferg
06-11-2012, 08:15 PM
I hope he's getting help for his ptsd. Have an ex gf and a good friend who has it and that is no joke!

ploto
06-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Doesn't anyone else see the irony that a guy who was a recruiter and used his supposed great salesmanship to convince young men to join the Navy is now complaining about having to serve himself?

MannyIsGod
06-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Ha, I guess that is a fair as shit point, Ploto.

jack sommerset
06-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Doesn't anyone else see the irony that a guy who was a recruiter and used his supposed great salesmanship to convince young men to join the Navy is now complaining about having to serve himself?

Oh yeah but I think his buddy is the one with the problem. God bless

Wild Cobra Kai
06-11-2012, 10:49 PM
This is just wrong. The reserve units are just that. Reserve. They are to be used in time of crisis. Not at the whim of a president who doesn't want to support levels to daily task needs.

You've been out of the loop for a while. Some time in the mid to late 90s, the reserves transitioned from fortifying/supplementing the active force to becoming the first in shock troops. Been that way coming up on 20 years.

Wild Cobra
06-12-2012, 02:27 AM
you must have not ever served. You can have a very highly skilled job in the military and still be a recruiter.

wtf:

this is a real important question for this thread. what are his job skills that they may need him so bad.

Wild Cobra
06-12-2012, 02:29 AM
You've been out of the loop for a while. Some time in the mid to late 90s, the reserves transitioned from fortifying/supplementing the active force to becoming the first in shock troops. Been that way coming up on 20 years.
Clinton really fucked up the military, didn't he.

mavs>spurs
06-12-2012, 02:55 AM
faggot take? my time spent out of this country during my time in the military (9yrs) exceeds his so yeah IMO he was hiding out. he did his fucking job as a recruiter, congrats to him. i know plenty of people who missed kids being born, had marriages fall apart due to the strain of being gone and had loved ones (aunts, uncles etc..) pass away and couldnt be there for their family because they had a job to do. however, every fucking time they were tasked to go they went, no bitching or complaining. they were professionals in every sense of the word. thats what he gets paid to do. to go where the govt needs him. just because he went on a few jaunts overseas while he was active doesnt mean he wont ever go again. again he did his job. what is his job in the navy anyway?

also your statement about him being a salesman because it fits his personality pretty much contradicts him being a patrol officer. two VERY different personalities.

nothing selfish about wanting a family. whats selfish is bitching about having to leave. the government didnt issue him his family. its something he got into knowing very well he could be called to leave them one day. if he doesnt like it then he needs to get out.

Think about what you are saying..nothing is more important than family, "professional" or not. At the end of the day if you missed out on all that just to go play world police then you're an asshole.

mouse
06-12-2012, 05:16 AM

velik_m
06-12-2012, 06:03 AM
:lmao what a sheepish thing to say. That's the attitude Germans took when Hitler decided to invade Poland/all of Europe.

When its our tax dollars financing the wars, our friends/family fighting the wars, and the politicians we elected in order to represent us and our views making decisions about the wars, how the fuck is it not for us to decide whether or not a war is meaningless :lmao

I have to agree with this. If there ever is time, i would want to have a say in the running of a state, it's when deciding should we go to/be in war or not. They can have their taxes and regulations and education and health and whatnot reforms - but if there should be only one thing on which every voice in the nation is heard, it should be on the matters of war.

benefactor
06-12-2012, 06:15 AM
He's done several tours already...without complaint. His son is partially autistic and he just found out his wife has a heart condition. You telling you you wouldn't be pissed to go back? Furthermore, there is absolutely nothing wrong with no longer believing in what's going on overseas anymore. It's been a long time since he was kid in his early 20's working as a recruiter. I guess you didn't change at all from your early 20's to your mid 30's.

From what I remember he had to stay in reserves as part of his exit deal. Believe me, if he could quit the reserves tomorrow he would.

Stringer_Bell
06-12-2012, 07:00 AM

Maybe I missed something here, but when you're in the reserves aren't you:
- subjected to mandatory training throughout the year?
- paid a lil somethin'?
- given auxillary benefits of some kind?

I mean, if you sign a contract that benefits you and suddenly the other party wants you to uphold your end...how is that wrong? But yea, maybe I missed something in the discussion.

edit: you just mentioned an exit deal, that sounds like a bad deal

ploto
06-12-2012, 07:37 AM
From what I remember he had to stay in reserves as part of his exit deal. Believe me, if he could quit the reserves tomorrow he would.

Did he get out early with the agreement that he would serve the remainder of his time in the reserves?

desflood
06-12-2012, 02:36 PM
When I left (mind you, that was over 10 years ago) four years of reserves were an automatic; they didn't ask you if you wanted it or not, it just was. The only exceptions were retirements and medical or dishonorable discharges.

ploto
06-12-2012, 07:12 PM
When I left (mind you, that was over 10 years ago) four years of reserves were an automatic; they didn't ask you if you wanted it or not, it just was. The only exceptions were retirements and medical or dishonorable discharges.

Wouldn't a recruiter know this?

benefactor
06-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Wouldn't a recruiter know this?
Listen you stupid bitch...I don't know what his exact situation is. It could be what desflood said or it could be that he agreed to it. If you just can't seem to live a normal life without knowing exactly I will probably be talking to him sometime this week and I will gladly let you know for sure. Frankly, it doesn't have a damn thing to do with him being pissed about going back. He's pissed because he has a special needs son and a wife with a recently diagnosed heart condition. He also doesn't believe the same things he used to. All of that said...he IS going back over seas and will fulfill his commitment.

He's well over a decade removed from the time he became a recruiter. He was a fucking kid. He's a grown man now. I don't know about you, but I can't think of very many people who are now in their mid 30s who have the same views they had when they were 20. I know more than a few people who served that don't believe in what is going on with our military. Their lives are in the government's hands and they aren't fucking robots that just nod and walk forwards when the government tells them to do something. Should they do what they are told? Yes...because they are contractually obligated to. Do they have to agree with it? Absolutely not.

Fat boy
06-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Regardless of who is right and who is wrong, I find this topic informative and entertaining.

boutons_deux
06-13-2012, 09:00 AM
After VN, Iraq, Afghanistan disasters, you have to be pretty ignorant to risk getting fucked up in another disaster by joining the military.

I'm sure the vast majority of Iraq/Afghanistan vets loved their (repeated) experiences and came home in 100% health, physical and mental. ... was a for a good cause. The Iraqis and Afghans just love The American Way now.

ploto
06-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Listen you stupid bitch...I don't know what his exact situation is. It could be what desflood said or it could be that he agreed to it. If you just can't seem to live a normal life without knowing exactly I will probably be talking to him sometime this week and I will gladly let you know for sure. Frankly, it doesn't have a damn thing to do with him being pissed about going back. He's pissed because he has a special needs son and a wife with a recently diagnosed heart condition. He also doesn't believe the same things he used to. All of that said...he IS going back over seas and will fulfill his commitment.

He's well over a decade removed from the time he became a recruiter. He was a fucking kid. He's a grown man now. I don't know about you, but I can't think of very many people who are now in their mid 30s who have the same views they had when they were 20. I know more than a few people who served that don't believe in what is going on with our military. Their lives are in the government's hands and they aren't fucking robots that just nod and walk forwards when the government tells them to do something. Should they do what they are told? Yes...because they are contractually obligated to. Do they have to agree with it? Absolutely not.

My point is that as a recruiter he of all people would know to what he was agreeing. I have two family members in the military and I can tell you I tried to talk them out of it. One has been both to Iraq and Afghanistan, but he made the choice. There are benefits and there are risks. When you choose a career in the military, you give up certain choices- you know you have to be away from family... He had to know this was a possibility as long as he was in the reserves.

benefactor
06-13-2012, 10:04 AM
He did. I've already explained that to you. Did you even read what I said?

clambake
06-13-2012, 10:26 AM
she read what you said. your friend can't claim stupidity. but there's no law against whining.

benefactor
06-13-2012, 12:25 PM
I never said he wanted to claim stupidity. You people have some serious comprehension problems down here.

clambake
06-13-2012, 12:56 PM
ok, so he's just whining, but you make it sound like he's whining because he doesn't understand why it's happening.(hence the playing stupid approach)

Goran Dragic
06-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Their lives are in the government's hands and they aren't fucking robots that just nod and walk forwards when the government tells them to do something..
They're paid to be just that.....robots who determine when to piss, shit, sleep and eat based off orders they're given. If you don't want to be a robot controlled by the government then don't join the military.

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Listen you stupid bitch

lol uncalled for imo

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 04:23 PM
They're paid to be just that.....robots who determine when to piss, shit, sleep and eat based off orders they're given. If you don't want to be a robot controlled by the government then don't join the military.

yup, only retards sign up to be human pawns in the rich man's game of chess.

benefactor
06-13-2012, 06:23 PM
lol uncalled for imo
She was being condescending. My wife doesn't take a condescending tone with me...so I sure as hell am not going to take it from some clueless, anonymous woman on an internet forum.

benefactor
06-13-2012, 06:25 PM
ok, so he's just whining, but you make it sound like he's whining because he doesn't understand why it's happening.(hence the playing stupid approach)
I never said he was "whining because he doesn't understand why it's happening" nor did I make it sound that way. Go back and read what I said, because I'm not typing it again or copy/pasting it for you.

Goran Dragic
06-13-2012, 06:41 PM
lol uncalled for imo
Agreed lol

Ploto will always be THAT nigga after the shit she took on Angel_Luv in the "I'm quitting my job at the mall so I can worry more about my husband's penis!" thread

clambake
06-13-2012, 06:52 PM
She was being condescending. My wife doesn't take a condescending tone with me...so I sure as hell am not going to take it from some clueless, anonymous woman on an internet forum.

wow

mouse
06-21-2012, 07:49 AM
all insults aside, any updates?

spursncowboys
06-21-2012, 09:10 AM
:lol all the guys in your sig are heroes and they're dead. Maybe they shoulda worried a little less about looking like a coward and more about staying alive :lol

i guess if staying alive is your main interest then staying in college and not doing anything worth while in life means you are doing what you want. but you are a definitely a coward. half those guys in my sig (who are heros) extended their contract so they could be there with their men. One of them gave their life to save another. But you think he should of ran and hid? ok thanks for your ethics lesson.

Regardless of how many tours you do. If you try and get out of a deployment, then you are a coward.

Edward
06-21-2012, 09:13 AM
spursncowboys is angry :lol

Being a coward who's alive is 1000x better than being a hero who's dead :lol

I'd say the guys in your sig who extended their contract made the wrong decision given that said decision led to their death :lmao

spursncowboys
06-21-2012, 09:14 AM
after your contract anytime left to get you to eight years is IIR (inactive reserve). From 04 to 06 they were calling these guys up. Now they have gone back to just reserve on call.

spursncowboys
06-21-2012, 09:18 AM
yup, only retards sign up to be human pawns in the rich man's game of chess.
:lmao
you guys are such pussies

Goran Dragic
06-21-2012, 09:22 AM
i guess if staying alive is your main interest then staying in college and not doing anything worth while in life means you are doing what you want. but you are a definitely a coward. half those guys in my sig (who are heros) extended their contract so they could be there with their men. One of them gave their life to save another. But you think he should of ran and hid? ok thanks for your ethics lesson.

Regardless of how many tours you do. If you try and get out of a deployment, then you are a coward.
:lol me being in college an extra semester to finish a double major and a minor means I'm "not doing anything worthwhile in life!"

:lol I'll gladly accept being a coward if it means I get to live a complete life rather than be a dead hero like the guys in your sig

:lol keep telling yourself that dying in your early 20s in an unnecessary war is better than actually going to college and avoiding the military

:lol gone AND forgotten

Goran Dragic
06-21-2012, 09:23 AM

I'd say the guys in your sig who extended their contract made the wrong decision given that said decision led to their death :lmao

Clipper Nation
06-21-2012, 09:30 AM

No shit that's what they're doing tbh... two wars at the same time as another QE from the Fed... damn, the government has no idea what fucking broke means...

spursncowboys
06-22-2012, 08:52 PM

:lol forget to switch to your troll?

Their lives made more of an impact than a 1000 years of yours. :toast

I'd say you live and justify your life however you want. I guess I will never understand why a soldiers death is funny to you? Seems pretty petty to me. Like jealousy. Yet you are doing exactly what you want but still belittles a heros choice.

Th

spursncowboys
06-22-2012, 08:56 PM
:lol me being in college an extra semester to finish a double major and a minor means I'm "not doing anything worthwhile in life!"

:lol I'll gladly accept being a coward if it means I get to live a complete life rather than be a dead hero like the guys in your sig

:lol keep telling yourself that dying in your early 20s in an unnecessary war is better than actually going to college and avoiding the military

:lol you being in college for almost a decade and believing you accomplished anything in life.

:lol thinking hiding in college thinking you are doing anything in life

:lol keep telling yourself that denagrading soldiers who died in battle is acceptable in any situation

:lol thinking soldiers didn't go to college

:lol not making one dent into bettering society, but wanting our government to do things to help the less fortunate with others money.

:lol not thinkng you're a coward.

spursncowboys
06-22-2012, 08:58 PM

:lol not realizing how that applies to you.

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Not taking a damn thing away from the bravery of our soldiers but I would be one pissed off motherfucker if my son or daughter gave their lives in the shitholes that are Iraq and Afghanistan. We need to get the fuck out of there and never look back. Leave all those backwards ass muslim assholes to stew in their own shit without our interference.

Clipper Nation
06-22-2012, 09:15 PM
:lol How does not being in the military make someone a coward? I don't support our interventionist foreign policy tbh, so I choose not to take part in it... doesn't make me a coward though..... I definitely support the troops though.....

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Guys, I remember my draft number for Vietnam. We never seem to fucking learn.

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2012, 09:19 PM
I turned down a full boat ride at the Air Force Academy because I was so pissed off at Vietnam.

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Well, not really Vietnam per se...just what we were doing/not doing there.

Goran Dragic
06-23-2012, 12:12 AM
:lol you being in college for almost a decade and believing you accomplished anything in life.

:lol thinking hiding in college thinking you are doing anything in life

:lol keep telling yourself that denagrading soldiers who died in battle is acceptable in any situation

:lol thinking soldiers didn't go to college

:lol not making one dent into bettering society, but wanting our government to do things to help the less fortunate with others money.

:lol not thinkng you're a coward.
:lol thinking 4.5 years in college is almost a decade

:lol the military not teaching you math

:lol keep telling yourself that you and your dead friends accomplished something in Iraq

:lol doing mental backflips to convince yourself that your dead friends bettered America

:lol reverting back to "Well you've been in college forever!" smack when I've only been in college 3.5 years

spursncowboys
06-23-2012, 12:56 PM
:lol How does not being in the military make someone a coward? I don't support our interventionist foreign policy tbh, so I choose not to take part in it... doesn't make me a coward though..... I definitely support the troops though.....
who said it did?

spursncowboys
06-23-2012, 12:57 PM
:lol thinking 4.5 years in college is almost a decade

:lol reverting back to "Well you've been in college forever!" smack when I've only been in college 3.5 years

spursncowboys
06-23-2012, 01:05 PM
:lol keep telling yourself that you and your dead friends accomplished something in Iraq they did

:lol doing mental backflips to convince yourself that your dead friends bettered America

how didn't they?
:rolleyes

it's cool. when there's a fire. woman and children should run away.
when theres a fight. woman and children should run for safety.
not everyone wants to make a difference. some people rather let others do it for them.

coward.

spursncowboys
06-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Not taking a damn thing away from the bravery of our soldiers but I would be one pissed off motherfucker if my son or daughter gave their lives in the shitholes that are Iraq and Afghanistan. We need to get the fuck out of there and never look back. Leave all those backwards ass muslim assholes to stew in their own shit without our interference.

:toast
completely agree.

GoodOdor
06-23-2012, 02:56 PM
lol stupid dead people.

Should have chosen the alternative - even working at burger king is better than getting blown the fuck up by some towel head.

mavs>spurs
06-23-2012, 04:13 PM
lol stupid dead people.

Should have chosen the alternative - even working at burger king is better than getting blown the fuck up by some towel head.

Agreed. Also, did all you other youngsters get heavily recruited senior year of high school and for the first couple years after as well? Them fuckers wouldn't leave me alone.

mouse
06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
I turned down a full boat ride at the Air Force Academy

Good thing you still have your kayak :toast

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/15407229.jpg

mouse
06-23-2012, 05:33 PM
retards sign up to be human pawns in the rich man's game of chess.

Its all business
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/pressmaster/pressmaster1112/pressmaster111200261/11622063-two-men-handshaking-with-chess-figures-on-chess-board-near-by.jpg

Wild Cobra Kai
06-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Clinton really fucked up the military, didn't he.

Presidents aren't dictators. They have to work with Congress, which was GOP for 6 of his 8 years. It's not like the full on GOP government of 2000-2006 thought this was so bad they undid it, either.

boutons_deux
06-23-2012, 06:57 PM
"Clinton really fucked up the military, didn't he."

aka, the can-do military are a bunch of can't do whiners.

USSR collapse, time for Human-Americans to be paid their peace dividend.

MIC, which includes Homeland Security and Dept of State, has exploited 9/11 to pump the MIC budget to suck $Ts out of Human-Americans pockets and run the national debt.

Human-Americans serve the MIC rather than MIC serving Human-Americans.

spursncowboys
06-23-2012, 09:55 PM
lol stupid dead people.

using all your trolls huh?

GoodOdor
06-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Agreed. Also, did all you other youngsters get heavily recruited senior year of high school and for the first couple years after as well? Them fuckers wouldn't leave me alone.

Crofl sons, even worse, I made the mistake of calling them up at one point right after highschool, back when I was young and foolish and when I thought going to war and blowing some iraquis seemed cool(really 99% of them go for that), and the recruiter I spoke to was still calling me up into my sophomore college year.

They need stupid people like spurscowboys to die for their oil wars tbh.

ElNono
06-24-2012, 12:35 AM
using all your trolls huh?

Maybe some people just disagree with your stupid take...

mavs>spurs
06-24-2012, 01:24 AM
Crofl sons, even worse, I made the mistake of calling them up at one point right after highschool, back when I was young and foolish and when I thought going to war and blowing some iraquis seemed cool(really 99% of them go for that), and the recruiter I spoke to was still calling me up into my sophomore college year.

They need stupid people like spurscowboys to die for their oil wars tbh.

shit dude, they harassed me until about that age too, until my mom finally answered the phone and told them that i didn't live there anymore and that she didn't have may current address.

spursncowboys
06-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Maybe some people just disagree with your stupid take...

Coming from you...
I doubt the gayest nba forum troll crew, which is never posting in the political forum, just happened to stumble into this. Since you are so far up dok's ass, it would make sense for you to join in. I understand your view of the wars we have fought, but to not stand up against people making light of dead soldiers is pretty sickening.it's honestly shameful.but hey keep in good standings with an online group.

Bill_Brasky
06-24-2012, 03:38 PM
:lol yeah my mom told me that she got calls all the time the first couple of years after I graduated, told them they couldn't talk to me....

Thank FSM my family isn't as stupid as spursncowboys'

Wild Cobra
06-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Besides what seems to be an injustice with Benefactor's friend, I am appalled at what so many people are implying about the military here.

We don't know the facts behind the guy being called to active duty. There may be a skill he has that's needed. If that's the case, it's another proof that a large organization has problems, in not keeping such jobs filled. Show my any organization half the size of the military or larger that doesn't have some pretty big mistakes.

I can understand people with the attitude "the military's not for me." That's fine, but I must wonder due to the resentment of some here, if your attitude is that you are just pissed off because the military said you were not good enough for them.

It doesn't matter what reason someone joins as long as they do it with honor. Some people are pressed into it financially or because of family tradition. Myself, I was not pressed into it, even though every uncle I had served. My father was the exception to that because he became the man of the house taking care of his younger brothers and sisters. I never knew my grandparents from his side.

The military is what you make of it. The choices you make. Like anything in life, good or bad luck applies to any control you have for yourself.

I would say more, but it's time for me to head off to work. Didn't realize what time it is.

However...

Some of you hare absolutely disgust me. Fine if the military isn't something you want, I have no problem with that. At least have respect for those who serve.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-24-2012, 05:08 PM
4.5 years instead of 4....that's really the best smack talk you can muster up :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Coming from you...
I doubt the gayest nba forum troll crew, which is never posting in the political forum, just happened to stumble into this. Since you are so far up dok's ass, it would make sense for you to join in. I understand your view of the wars we have fought, but to not stand up against people making light of dead soldiers is pretty sickening.it's honestly shameful.but hey keep in good standings with an online group.
:lol people caring more about the puppy David Motari killed than the worthless jarheads who died in Iraq

baseline bum
06-24-2012, 05:26 PM
4.5 years instead of 4....that's really the best smack talk you can muster up :lol

He went to DeVry or Everest?

yJl0XuDKSjc

clambake
06-24-2012, 05:41 PM
If that's the case, it's another proof that a large organization has problems, in not keeping such jobs filled.
hey, they called him up. job is filled. get it?

My father was the exception to that because he became the man of the house taking care of his younger brothers and sisters.
he took care of them, but he dumped you? that must sting.

The military is what you make of it. Like anything in life, good or bad luck applies to any control you have for yourself.
you lose control once you sign up. should have known that going in.

Blake
06-24-2012, 06:05 PM
At least have respect for those who serve.

Should we also have pity for those that get sent off after they signed up on their own free will?

ElNono
06-24-2012, 06:31 PM
I understand your view of the wars we have fought, but to not stand up against people making light of dead soldiers is pretty sickening.it's honestly shameful.but hey keep in good standings with an online group.

They're dead because of the decisions their made (according to you). :lol

I have a huge amount of respect for people that fought in World War II and the like, where they didn't really have a choice. My first name comes from the brother of my grandfather, and Italian who was captured and killed by the Nazis during WWII. He didn't even sign up for it, there was simply no choice.

Your buddies died "liberating" people that don't even want them to be there in the first place. Wars that have absolutely nothing to do with America. Not only that, they extended their contracts (according to you) to keep doing that. But hey, the reason the political class can keep on pulling off wars like that is because they have sheep like you to go die for them.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Nono dropping truth bombs :lol

Wild Cobra
06-25-2012, 01:55 AM
Should we also have pity for those that get sent off after they signed up on their own free will?
I never indicated that, did I. If this is for no real good reason, he has every right to be pissed. It's called "The Ready Reserves" for a reason.

Now I'm the first to say statistics don't make facts, that's why I have mentioned how important it is to base this on his skills. Now that we are drawing down, I simply cannot see why anyone from the reserve forces should be called up. What's wrong with our Commander in Chief?

Blake
06-25-2012, 08:26 AM
I never indicated that, did I. If this is for no real good reason, he has every right to be pissed. It's called "The Ready Reserves" for a reason.

meh. he has every right to be disappointed, but I don't think he has every right to be pissed.

What's wrong with our Commander in Chief?

Based on your posting history, I'd say the first answer you are looking for is that he is a libtard.

spursncowboys
06-25-2012, 09:57 PM

spursncowboys
06-25-2012, 10:18 PM
They're dead because of the decisions their made (according to you). :lol

I have a huge amount of respect for people that fought in World War II and the like, where they didn't really have a choice. My first name comes from the brother of my grandfather, and Italian who was captured and killed by the Nazis during WWII. He didn't even sign up for it, there was simply no choice.

Your buddies died "liberating" people that don't even want them to be there in the first place. Wars that have absolutely nothing to do with America. Not only that, they extended their contracts (according to you) to keep doing that. But hey, the reason the political class can keep on pulling off wars like that is because they have sheep like you to go die for them.
As a mod, do you really think you should be so unprofessional and disgraceful in your posts?
This is the type of post a sixteen year old would do. Disrespecting soldiers who died in combat? Seriously. Pretty sickening if you ask me.
Have some standards for yourself even though you are anonymous.

mingus
06-26-2012, 02:16 AM
So how many of you guys who oppose the govt. fighting this stupid ass war have participated in or organized a protest?

Blake
06-26-2012, 07:21 PM
So how many of you guys who oppose the govt. fighting this stupid ass war have participated in or organized a protest?

are you looking for a group to protest with?