PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking across Europe

Kyle Orton
06-10-2012, 01:35 PM
My 3 friends and I were thinking about doing this in the summer/fall of 2013. Has anyone ever done this before and what is your estimate on cost? Obviously we would be somewhat conservative with money like sleeping on trains overnight to avoid hostels/hotels.

I know countries like England/France/Switz/Amsterdam are more expensive but we are lookin at western Europe so those countries are a must. Language won't be a problem as we have it covered in our group. We are thinking its going to be 80-100$ a day average, is that a fair estimate?

Need some tips tbh

CubanSucks
06-10-2012, 02:08 PM
How about save/spend your money WISELY and don't be a bunch of faggots. There's a time for big vacations and it's called in your middle ages with a stable job and lots of money

silverblk mystix
06-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Excellent idea. Do it while you are young and fearless.

Write a journal and if you live long enough you can read it decades later and appreciate it.

Be open minded and be open to anything and all people unlike your troll account and your troll responses. Seriously.

Hide your money on you and even from your friends who don't have to know you have extra and secret "emergency" cash. It may come in handy during the trip and if you never happen to need it-then you can splurge on your last day or two.

TDMVPDPOY
06-10-2012, 03:00 PM
my friend just did europe honeymoon 2 weeks, total costs for both was 30k...1/3 of that they spent on staying at 5stars hotel cause of previous bad experiences staying at lowered star hotels....

they said certain parts of europe is like america, like tipping and shit...

Slomo
06-10-2012, 03:27 PM
my friend just did europe honeymoon 2 weeks, total costs for both was 30k...1/3 of that they spent on staying at 5stars hotel cause of previous bad experiences staying at lowered star hotels....

they said certain parts of europe is like america, like tipping and shit...

:lol

They got robbed.

5 stars hotel in W Europe are crazy expensive (although can be quite spectacular - if you have money to throw away).

Good to very good hotels that are cheap can be found, but you need to avoid the tourist traps. FYI Your own local tourist agencies are probably promoting those exact traps because of a lack of knowledge or simple lazyness.

If you do your homework and use stupid things like bookings.com and read user's comments, you should easily find good deals that fit your budget.

For young backpackers hostels are a good alternative, but again do your homework, plenty of forums/site dedicated to this type of tourism.

Tipping is different from country to country (Europe is NOT a single country/culture) so read up. Of course in the aforementioned tourist traps they will try to extort money from you anyway they can - again read a book things are pretty well documented.

European tourist tend to have a bad experience when visiting the US for the exact same reasons - they go there uninformed and then bitch about it when it doesn't meet their expectations. If you don't want to see the US - stay at home. Same philosophy applies for Europe or any other place on earth. Don't be the tourist that spends a month in Europe and only eats at McD (don't roll your eyes happens a lot more than you think).
Good rule of thumb: When in Rome... Don't go looking for a NY deli! (and don't bitch that the pizza is wrong - they invented the damn thing, that how it's supposed to look/taste).

I've been traveling professionally and privately a lot (constantly) for the past 25 years and 90% of the bad experiences I made where my fault - but in reality I have had very few of those. If you don't prepare in advance then just don't be afraid to ask the locals, it's a million times better than to behave like an uneducated asshole.

I admit I have yet to visit Australia, but I'm pretty sure the same philosophy would go over well over there too.

baseline bum
06-10-2012, 07:39 PM
i went to amsterdam a few years ago for like 10 days and spent like 1,500 US total including airfare

got a good deal at a hostel, bought most of my food at the grocery stores rather than restaurants, and had plenty of money to smoke a shit load of nice hash and drink good amstel beer

:tu

Did you tip the whores?

DMC
06-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Excellent idea. Do it while you are young and fearless.

Write a journal and if you live long enough you can read it decades later and appreciate it.

Be open minded and be open to anything and all people unlike your troll account and your troll responses. Seriously.

Hide your money on you and even from your friends who don't have to know you have extra and secret "emergency" cash. It may come in handy during the trip and if you never happen to need it-then you can splurge on your last day or two.

Then when you get older, you will be forced to work as a prison guard, live in a mobile home and drive a lime green Prius.

DMC
06-10-2012, 07:44 PM
i went to amsterdam a few years ago for like 10 days and spent like 1,500 US total including airfare

got a good deal at a hostel, bought most of my food at the grocery stores rather than restaurants, and had plenty of money to smoke a shit load of nice hash and drink good amstel beer

:tu
:lmao sure you did

Blake
06-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Then when you get older, you will be forced to work as a prison guard, live in a mobile home and drive a lime green Prius.

Mustang, tbh

Blake
06-10-2012, 07:55 PM
I know I'm not the only who saw the thread and immediately thought of the movie Hostel

silverblk mystix
06-10-2012, 08:01 PM

:sleep

mavs>spurs
06-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I know I'm not the only who saw the thread and immediately thought of the movie Hostel

beat me to it tbh, was just going to tell the young lad to watch that and see if he still wants to go :lol

mavs>spurs
06-10-2012, 08:16 PM
hemann is married with a kid iirc no hoes for him awwwwwwwwwwwwww

Capt Bringdown
06-10-2012, 08:46 PM
FWIW, I recently spent 7 weeks in Germany & Austria. For accommodation, the least I spent was 30 Euros/night, the most 70. Perhaps you could find cheaper at the youth hostels, but I'm an old fart who needs my privacy. I used online resources and word of mouth to find places to stay.

I tend to like to stay outside of city centers. It's quieter and in most cases cheaper IME. Plus, with great public transportation, it's not necessary to stay in the city. Another added plus is that you're off the beaten track and can find some good gems/good experiences.

For example, I stayed in the wine country outside Vienna. The entire village where I stayed was basically one big wine bar. 32 euros a night for a comfortable room with included WIFI access and ample Austrian breakfast. A dinner at one of the local wine bars: entree plus 2 big glasses of local wine - 13 Euros. A bargain by US standards, I'd say.

Of course, you can save money if you eat street and/or grocery store food.

And you'd be doing well to pack light -very light. There's no need for a towering backpack, unless you're planning to do some camping.

I had a great time. Laundry was the only hitch. Think treking clothes, things that can be washed and dried easily in your hotel/hostel room. Jeans, for example, are a pain in the ass to wash. So are cotton t-shirts, socks etc. Go synthetic mix or wool.

Have a great time. Europe is awesome. Best trip of my life.

Destro
06-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Laundry was the only hitch. Think treking clothes, things that can be washed and dried easily in your hotel/hostel room. Jeans, for example, are a pain in the ass to wash. So are cotton t-shirts, socks etc. Go synthetic mix or wool.

good advice

Jimcs50
06-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Years ago, I was backpacking across Western Europe, I was just outside of Barcelona hiking in the foothills of Mount Tibidabo. I was at the end of this path when I came to a clearing and there was a lake, very secluded and there were tall trees all around, it was dead silent, gorgeous. Across the lake, I saw a beautiful women bathing herself. and she was crying........

I. Hustle
06-11-2012, 09:16 AM
http://moviecultists.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/hostel-halloween-mnight-560.jpg

alamo50
06-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Amsterdam ain't a country son.

Soul_Patch
06-12-2012, 09:02 AM
I have done this a couple of times.

First time I stayed for about 2 months, summer of 1998, but my mother lived in Germany and I had a lot of friends I had met as exchange students here in the states that I stayed with along the way. We rented a car for 2 months. I think each of us spent around 3 to 5 grand for the entire trip. We never had to stay in a hotel though.

Friends and I went back in 2003 and went to Amsterdam, Paris and Rome. Stayed in youth hostels along the way, used a eurorail pass, with one extra overnight train from Paris to Rome. Didnt do a ton of sight seeing, but did a ton of partying. I think total, including Airfare and trains, probably 3000.

My wife and I went in 2006 to London, Paris and Rome over the span of 2 weeks. Stayed in about 3 star hotels and did a ton of sight seeing. We spent around 6500 total, including airfare.

thispego
06-12-2012, 09:08 AM
sounds boring. i'd rather go backpacking in the mountains somewhere.

Leetonidas
06-12-2012, 09:45 AM
don't get raped/murdered brah