PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro

TheMACHINE
06-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Looks like Apple actually did good with the next gen one.

lefty
06-11-2012, 12:48 PM
2200 $

Jeez

resistanze
06-11-2012, 12:52 PM
2200 $

Jeez

Holy fuck that's expensive :lol

leemajors
06-11-2012, 01:06 PM
i'm gonna snag an 11" Air at the end of the month for $300, wheeee!

resistanze
06-11-2012, 01:31 PM
i'm gonna snag an 11" Air at the end of the month for $300, wheeee!

I'll PM you my address.

Drachen
06-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Geez! for a laptop!?!?

leemajors
06-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Geez! for a laptop!?!?

We get either $500 off a system bundle or $250 off an iPad every 3 years now, starting at the end of this month. The Air is a no brainer at $500 off on top on 25% off

Drachen
06-11-2012, 01:44 PM
We get either $500 off a system bundle or $250 off an iPad every 3 years now, starting at the end of this month. The Air is a no brainer at $500 off on top on 25% off

Oh, I was talking about 2200 for a laptop. What is this 1992?

Anyway, your 300 for a laptop is also pretty cool. Though they can be had for that price normally, those would be nowhere near as capable specwise as your air.

leemajors
06-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Oh, I was talking about 2200 for a laptop. What is this 1992?

Anyway, your 300 for a laptop is also pretty cool. Though they can be had for that price normally, those would be nowhere near as capable specwise as your air.

i could get that pro for around a grand too i guess, but i don't want to spend that much :lol

clambake
06-11-2012, 02:30 PM
we got our kid a macbook pro. badass machine.

lefty
06-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Holy shit fuck yes

Thats a no brainer TBH

BlairForceDejuan
06-11-2012, 06:43 PM
I want to try one, but can't bite the bullet knowing I can build a better laptop for half the price and just forgo that cool ass magnetic port.

ElNono
06-11-2012, 07:32 PM
I want to try one, but can't bite the bullet knowing I can build a better laptop for half the price and just forgo that cool ass magnetic port.

Where do you go to build a 2880x1800 laptop for half the price?

ElNono
06-11-2012, 07:35 PM
It's obvious this is going to be overpriced as a 1st gen... they're preying on gadget nerds...

leemajors
06-11-2012, 07:36 PM
I guess they couldn't get 17" retina displays made cheap enough either

ElNono
06-11-2012, 07:43 PM
I guess they couldn't get 17" retina displays made cheap enough either

I heard the 17" lineup might eventually bite the dust... from what I read, the 17" line only sells 1% of all macbook sales for Apple.

Venti Quattro
06-11-2012, 08:03 PM
They didn't fully update the Mac Pro? Bummer.

ElNono
06-11-2012, 08:12 PM
They didn't fully update the Mac Pro? Bummer.

That's another line that should be killed ASAP... or start shipping them with Extreme processors instead of the stupid Xeons...

BlairForceDejuan
06-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Where do you go to build a 2880x1800 laptop for half the price?

oh wow super high res on a tiny screen.

ElNono
06-11-2012, 09:14 PM
oh wow super high res on a tiny screen.

well, that's the point...instead of fake AA, actual high ppi

Drachen
06-11-2012, 09:19 PM
well, that's the point...instead of fake AA, actual high ppi

WC's dreams have come true

Cry Havoc
06-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Trying to run games on a fairly low powered video card @ 2880x18whatever is going to be hilarious.

resistanze
06-11-2012, 09:35 PM

:lol

ElNono
06-11-2012, 09:35 PM

ElNono
06-11-2012, 09:40 PM
If you're looking at any Mac to play high end games, you're probably pretty dumb to begin with.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Which one is at that price?

lefty
06-12-2012, 01:08 PM
If you're looking at any Mac to play high end games, you're probably pretty dumb to begin with.
THis

Jt.ONE
06-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Which one is at that price?

the 15" starts at 2.2 i think

leemajors
06-12-2012, 01:20 PM
the 15" starts at 2.2 i think

You can also still get non-retina 15"s for less - but $1799 is still pricey

Viva Las Espuelas
06-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Ouch! I'm afraid to look at the specs

Viva Las Espuelas
06-12-2012, 01:24 PM
You can also still get non-retina 15"s for less - but $1799 is still pricey

Ah, well there you go. That's about what its normally been

leemajors
06-13-2012, 09:35 AM
engadget review:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/13/apple-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/

lefty
06-13-2012, 10:21 AM
"Retina Display alone costs us 1000 $" :cry

DMC
06-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Who actually plays video games on a laptop? I've not found one with the processing power to make me spend money on mobile gaming capability.

Cry Havoc
06-13-2012, 06:55 PM

What about people who buy Apple for what it can do and also want to game?

"Gee this $2200 laptop is amazing. I only had to spend another $1000 to get a laptop that I can game on."

Cry Havoc
06-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Who actually plays video games on a laptop? I've not found one with the processing power to make me spend money on mobile gaming capability.

A very good gaming laptop is only a grand now, and if you go to tournaments you see tons of people with them.

Cry Havoc
06-13-2012, 07:19 PM
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/#.T9ktzrVfEbI

"The least repairable laptop ever." :lol

ElNono
06-13-2012, 08:37 PM
What about people who buy Apple for what it can do and also want to game?

They play anyways fully aware it's not a gaming laptop?
Do what I do and have a XBox 360 or PS3 to play games? It's not rocket science.

"Gee this $2200 laptop is amazing. I only had to spend another $1000 to get a laptop that I can game on."

"Gee this $1000 laptop is amazing. I can play every game for 2 hours AND fry eggs on it!"

ElNono
06-13-2012, 08:39 PM
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/#.T9ktzrVfEbI

"The least repairable laptop ever." :lol

Dropping $2200 on a laptop and you're going to fix it yourself :lol

mingus
06-13-2012, 08:56 PM
From the gaming laptops i've tried out and done reserch on, the pros get outweighed by the cons IMO.

if you want to game don't get a Macbook pro. If you don't want to game (most people) it's not a problem.

BlairForceDejuan
06-14-2012, 01:28 AM
I'm not an apple hater and like I said I am wanting to try out a macbook, but lol $2200.

^ ask most geeks dropping $2200 on a computer and they DO want to be able to fix/upgrade/tweak it themselves. That's kind of the point of getting high end hardware.

Sense
06-14-2012, 02:13 AM

You haven't been looking that much then..

I game on my laptop, I've had this one for about 2 years now and it can play anything I've thrown at it so far.

Sense
06-14-2012, 02:20 AM
"Gee this $1000 laptop is amazing. I can play every game for 2 hours AND fry eggs on it!"

Never had a heating problem with mine.. maybe once but the vent was clogged.. and I got this one 2 years ago.

ElNono
06-14-2012, 03:09 AM
^ ask most geeks dropping $2200 on a computer and they DO want to be able to fix/upgrade/tweak it themselves. That's kind of the point of getting high end hardware.

Not really. If you're a geek and dropping $2200, you're doing it well aware of what you're buying. You already know that if you want to upgrade/tweak, that MacBook isn't for you.

To me (that kind of geek) what's a complete deal breaker is that you can't upgrade the RAM or SSD on it. It's not unexpected coming from Apple on a 1st gen device that basically has no competition out there (I'm talking the retina display).

That machine's target is very niche right now. It's probably pretty awesome for doing HD video editing in Final Cut Pro/HD, Pro photo editing in Aperture, etc. But those are actually niche markets where Apple has a fairly good stronghold.

If you're looking at this machine as any other laptop, you're probably just better off getting either one of the non-retina MBP or just another laptop.

ElNono
06-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Never had a heating problem with mine.. maybe once but the vent was clogged.. and I got this one 2 years ago.

No comment on the 2 hour part? :lol

Sense
06-14-2012, 03:38 AM
No comment on the 2 hour part? :lol

? What do you mean by the 2 hour part? That it takes 2 hours to heat up?

Because it doesn't.. I play quite a bit.

TeyshaBlue
06-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Dropping $2200 on a laptop and you're going to fix it yourself :lol

Batteries expire and need to be replaced. Upgrading Ram is always a good idea when possible.

You won't do either with the MacBook.

TeyshaBlue
06-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Batteries expire and need to be replaced. Upgrading Ram is always a good idea when possible.

Well, you will if you take to an Apple store and pay out the ass...which is ridiculous after dropping 2 grand.

leemajors
06-14-2012, 11:35 AM

it's easy to get a free battery repair from Apple's customer relations dept

ElNono
06-14-2012, 11:37 AM
? What do you mean by the 2 hour part? That it takes 2 hours to heat up?

Because it doesn't.. I play quite a bit.

How many hours of high end gaming you get on those batteries?

ElNono
06-14-2012, 11:47 AM

So you don't buy it if you want to do that stuff yourself. I don't have much issue with the battery, but the soldered RAM and custom SSD is certainly a deal breaker for me.

Did you see the battery layout on these things? There's simply no way to put them on a detachable pack if you want to keep both the thinness and the huge capacity.

TeyshaBlue
06-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Then Apple doesn't need to charge to replace these items. Easy enough.

TeyshaBlue
06-14-2012, 01:15 PM
it's easy to get a free battery repair from Apple's customer relations dept

Replacement?

I paid for every battery replacement on my iPhone and my daughter's iPhone.

I'm pretty much done with that.

ElNono
06-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Then Apple doesn't need to charge to replace these items. Easy enough.

:lol Does Dell/Sony/Lenovo/etc charge you for replacing a non-user-serviceable part? Ofcourse they do.

leemajors
06-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Replacement?

I paid for every battery replacement on my iPhone and my daughter's iPhone.

I'm pretty much done with that.

I used to reimburse people all the time for it when I was on the phones, that sucks. Apple's battery warranty is the same as everyone else's - 1 year.

Sense
06-14-2012, 07:58 PM
How many hours of high end gaming you get on those batteries?

Why would I be running it on battery?

I bought a laptop for many reasons, making it a gaming laptop made it pretty much useful for anything, obviously I'm not going to go full power while gaming on it's battery alone... but it's pretty sweet to be able to take this anywhere and play pretty much on any table/floor without having to carry a pc/monitor/keyboard.

TeyshaBlue
06-14-2012, 08:19 PM
:lol Does Dell/Sony/Lenovo/etc charge you for replacing a non-user-serviceable part? Ofcourse they do.

A simple battery is a user-serviceable part in those. :rolleyes
Thats my point.

TeyshaBlue
06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
I used to reimburse people all the time for it when I was on the phones, that sucks. Apple's battery warranty is the same as everyone else's - 1 year.

Battery replacement out of warranty for my iPhones= $80 ea.
For my Androids now...$15 each.

leemajors
06-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Ahh, I've never had to replace one before, but the platinum mastercard i buy that kind of stuff with will cover it for two years if I need it. it's a pain to collect all the warranties, invoices. claim forms and the like but it can be worth it.

TeyshaBlue
06-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Ahh, I've never had to replace one before, but the platinum mastercard i buy that kind of stuff with will cover it for two years if I need it. it's a pain to collect all the warranties, invoices. claim forms and the like but it can be worth it.

Hell. I didnt even think about a cc warranty.:depressed

ElNono
06-14-2012, 11:06 PM
A simple battery is a user-serviceable part in those. :rolleyes
Thats my point.

If/When you're buying this MacBook, you do so well aware it isn't.

If you want a laptop with user-serviceable battery, don't buy this one :lol

ElNono
06-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Why would I be running it on battery?

I bought a laptop for many reasons, making it a gaming laptop made it pretty much useful for anything, obviously I'm not going to go full power while gaming on it's battery alone... but it's pretty sweet to be able to take this anywhere and play pretty much on any table/floor without having to carry a pc/monitor/keyboard.

I'll never understand the appeal of that, tbh. You spend your money on a gaming laptop to use it plugged? Do you at least use an external monitor?

For that kind of money you can buy a much more capable desktop that's much easier to upgrade, etc.

Venti Quattro
06-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Tim Cook confirms updated Mac Pro coming in 2013 (http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/150659/tim-cook-confirms-updated-mac-pro-coming-in-2013)

An email from Apple CEO Tim Cook confirms that the company is indeed working on a professional-level Mac to be released sometime in 2013, allaying current Mac Pro owners' fears that the desktop has reached its end of life.

An email Apple confirmed to be from Cook was sent to a Facebook group page dedicated to the Mac Pro on Monday and said that Apple is "working on something really great" for 2013, reports MacWorld.

While Apple revealed a slight performance bump to the Mac Pro at WWDC on Monday, the update wasn't the significant revamp many professional users were hoping for. The tower received a modest speed boost for its 12-core Xeon chips, but it was revealed that Apple is using CPUs based on Intel's two-year-old Westmere-EP architecture and not newer Xeon E5 silicon. After being posted as "New" on the Apple Online Store, the refreshed Mac Pro's label was dropped early Tuesday without comment from the company.

The email in full:

Franz,

Thanks for your email. Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we didn?t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today?s event, don?t worry as we?re working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today.

We?ve been continuing to update Final Cut Pro X with revolutionary pro features like industry leading multi-cam support and we just updated Aperture with incredible new image adjustment features.

We also announced a MacBook Pro with a Retina Display that is a great solution for many pros.

Tim

Cook's message comes on the heels of comments made by a separate anonymous The New York Times source who claimed much the same on Monday. That report noted Apple was working on new models and new designs that would most likely make their way into stores next year. Interestingly, Apple also confirmed the NYT article on Tuesday to Forbes reporter Connie Guglielmo.

Apple used the WWDC keynote to announce a bevy of new products, including the next generation MacBook Pro with Retina Display, but the products were mainly targeted at consumers.

New Mac Pro :worthy: :worthy:

I'm going to start saving up money for next year! :ihit

ElNono
06-14-2012, 11:29 PM
:lol Mac Pro needs to die a painful death

Venti Quattro
06-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Come on Nono, they shouldn't kill the Mac Pro. That's basically the only customizable and interchangeable device that Apple has left. And it offers a lot of computer power to its users.

Come on Tim Cook, don't let us down now...

ElNono
06-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Come on Nono, they shouldn't kill the Mac Pro. That's basically the only customizable and interchangeable device that Apple has left. And it offers a lot of computer power to its users.

Come on Tim Cook, don't let us down now...

It's one of the few devices where they basically cannot innovate, and you can build pretty much the exact same machine for 1/3 of the price.

You look at Apple's products, and there's always something they stand out on:

iMac: top of the line all-in-one form factor
MBP: light, thin, top of the line battery life, now retina
Air: light, thin, among top of the line in ultralights
Mini: ultra compact form factor, basically no competition on that area

In other words, every platform apple makes it's money is basically using laptop-type components. The Mac Pro is the one machine that they can't really distinguish themselves from the PC market to be able to price it the way they price that thing.

Venti Quattro
06-15-2012, 12:25 AM
It's one of the few devices where they basically cannot innovate, and you can build pretty much the exact same machine for 1/3 of the price.

That's what makes this announcement exciting. I'm excited with how they can innovate the Mac Pro. And surely they will bump the specs up, which will mean better power.

TDMVPDPOY
06-15-2012, 12:48 AM
overrated piece of shit

ElNono
06-15-2012, 12:49 AM
That's what makes this announcement exciting. I'm excited with how they can innovate the Mac Pro. And surely they will bump the specs up, which will mean better power.

Bro, it's the closest to a off-the-shelf desktop PC... You can put together the same Xeon-laden PC without having to pay the Apple tax, tbh.

Venti Quattro
06-15-2012, 12:57 AM
Damn it, it's the only Apple product left that I don't hate. :cry

TDMVPDPOY
06-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Bro, it's the closest to a off-the-shelf desktop PC... You can put together the same Xeon-laden PC without having to pay the Apple tax, tbh.

u can either buy clone or from another competitor at cheaper rates

only thing i like apple are its sleep white design products, especially that 27 inch IPS LCD.....then again i can get that from DELL or clone at 1/3 the price of apple premium prices

ElNono
06-15-2012, 01:22 AM
u can either buy clone or from another competitor at cheaper rates

only thing i like apple are its sleep white design products, especially that 27 inch IPS LCD.....then again i can get that from DELL or clone at 1/3 the price of apple premium prices

The last Apple PC I bought was the early 2009 Mini I'm using right now (which I upgraded with 8GB RAM and an SSD)... I really, really like the small form factor, I can use this 26" Viewsonic, the keyboard I like and this thing still flies, even though it's a measly 2.0GHz C2D.

I'll probably wait until they come up with a Ivy Bridge Mini before upgrading. I looked at clone offerings in the same form factor, and they all end up costing more with the same configuration.

At the office I run a hackintosh...

ElNono
06-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Retina MacBook Pro shipping wait now three to four weeks
6 hours ago | Posted in: computers

Shipping times for the Retina display-equipped MacBook Pro have increased yet again. The online Apple Store page for the Retina MacBook Pro now shows that shipping delay for both the 2.3 and 2.6GHz models has jumped from the two-to-three week delay seen just two days ago to three-to-four weeks. Non-Retina MacBook Pros show no shipping delay.

Read more: http://www.macnn.com/#ixzz1xqULvbmU

ElNono
06-15-2012, 02:42 AM
:lol suckers

Sense
06-19-2012, 05:18 AM
I'll never understand the appeal of that, tbh. You spend your money on a gaming laptop to use it plugged? Do you at least use an external monitor?

For that kind of money you can buy a much more capable desktop that's much easier to upgrade, etc.

I move around a lot... from city to city, so having a laptop is much better than a desktop in this situation.

And it's really easy to set everything up for a lan party :lol

There is a difference as far as how I play games.. I think I was better at online games like counter strike on my old desktop than I am now, but not that big of a difference.

hater
06-19-2012, 11:26 AM
:lmao

overpriced piece of shit

ElNono
06-19-2012, 11:35 AM
:lmao

overpriced piece of shit

there he is :lol

leemajors
06-19-2012, 11:45 AM
teardown:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Retina-Display-Teardown/9493/1#.T-CqkbWm98H

pretty nice little overpriced piece of engineering. Hard to imagine what shit will look like 5 years from now.

DMX7
06-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Apple should have put a retina display on the 13inch macbook pro. That's the one that needed the upgrade in resolution the most.

leemajors
06-21-2012, 07:44 AM
just ordered my 11" Air with 8GB RAM - $350 with tax :toast

resistanze
06-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Go to hell.

Cry Havoc
06-23-2012, 02:41 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/22/eurocom-monster-11-6-inch-notebook-ivy-bridge-kepler/

Yep. Nothing portable out there with a good GPU. Nothing.

Ivy Bridge Intel Core i7-3920XM processor overclockable to 3.8 Ghz
16GB of DDR3-1600 of RAM
240GB SSD
750GB Hybrid drive
NVIDIA GT 650M graphics running at 850MHz
7 hours battery life

$1000 less than the Pro.

leemajors
06-23-2012, 11:46 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/22/eurocom-monster-11-6-inch-notebook-ivy-bridge-kepler/

Yep. Nothing portable out there with a good GPU. Nothing.

Ivy Bridge Intel Core i7-3920XM processor overclockable to 3.8 Ghz
16GB of DDR3-1600 of RAM
240GB SSD
750GB Hybrid drive
NVIDIA GT 650M graphics running at 850MHz
7 hours battery life

$1000 less than the Pro.

Reading:

Pricing and delivery dates weren't given, but if it's up your alley, check the PR and your wallet -- or hit up Ned in accounting.

Cry Havoc
06-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Reading:

Kay. Want to bet on whether it will be $700-1000 cheaper than the Pro?

ElNono
06-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Need to shave 1/2 an inch and drop the cheap plastic... but if you don't care about that kind of stuff, there's plenty of laptops out there you can pick up for cheap...

leemajors
06-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Kay. Want to bet on whether it will be $700-1000 cheaper than the Pro?

Mac Pro, or the Retina MacBook Pro?

Cry Havoc
06-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Reading:

So I was wrong. It's not $1000 less than the Pro.

It's $1300 less.

Maingear Pulse 2.6GHz Core i5 4GB DDR-3 2GB GT 650M 250GB $999
Origin EON 11-S 2.2GHz Pentium B960 4GB DDR-3 2GB GT 650M 320GB $999
Eurocom Monster 1.0 2.3GHz Core i5 4GB DDR-3 2GB GT 650M 500GB $825
Sager NP 6110 2.5GHz Core i5 8GB DDR-3 2GB GT 650M 500GB $899
Mythlogic Chaos 1212 2.5GHz Core i5 4GB DDR-3 2GB GT 650M 250GB $1,016

Cry Havoc
06-30-2012, 07:38 PM
http://www.lpc-digital.com/notebooks.html

It's available with Sager for $794 with 8 GB of RAM.

ElNono
06-30-2012, 08:22 PM
http://www.lpc-digital.com/notebooks.html

It's available with Sager for $794 with 8 GB of RAM.

Where's the Retina model?

Clipper Nation
06-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Kinda random thought, but does anyone else miss how Apple used to make their computers in colors besides boring gray... I don't care what anyone says, these were swagged out...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/23/IBook_flavors.jpg/250px-IBook_flavors.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
07-01-2012, 08:24 PM
If swag means gay, then yeah.