PDA

View Full Version : Lying

JudynTX
06-11-2012, 03:35 PM
I was watching a program called Head Games on Discovery last night. They said the average person will tell 200 lies in a day. Oh and that men lie 8x more than women.

Does that seem about right? :D Don't lie. :lol

cantthinkofanything
06-11-2012, 03:37 PM
I was watching a program called Head Games on Discovery last night. They said the average person will tell 200 lies in a day. Oh and that men lie 8x more than women.

I think Spurstalk is responsible for making that average so high.

bus driver
06-11-2012, 03:38 PM
ask me no questions and i tell you no lies :p:

i find it hard to believe that men lie more than women

I. Hustle
06-11-2012, 03:39 PM
I throw a whole bunch of lies out on here. In real life though I try not to lie. I use up maybe about 190 of those 200 on here.

JudynTX
06-11-2012, 03:40 PM
I throw a whole bunch of lies out on here. In real life though I try not to lie. I use up maybe about 190 of those 200 on here.

:lmao

Can you tell when someone is lying to you?

Reck
06-11-2012, 03:43 PM
200 times a day seems excessive.

I lie alot, but 200 times a day is definitely outside my range.

I think you would have to be a bad compulsive liar to lie that much in a single day.

I'd say I tell no more than 20-30 lies in a day. And even that I think its inacurate.

I just dont get alot of chances to tell lies honestly.

silverblk mystix
06-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Sounds way off. I think most people lie a lot less than that...

lefty
06-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Lying rocks

ChumpDumper
06-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Does that seem about right? :D Don't lie. :lolThe people how made that show lie.

Liar
06-11-2012, 03:49 PM

Seems a little low to me.

Das Texan
06-11-2012, 05:24 PM
if you arent lying, you arent breathing.

Bender
06-11-2012, 09:08 PM
i lie 0-1 times a day on average
that's yours for today

GeorgeCostanza
06-11-2012, 09:18 PM
My whole life is a lie.

ploto
06-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't think I even talk enough in a day to lie that many times.

DeadlyDynasty
06-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Now I know never to tune into "Head Games."

Avante
06-11-2012, 09:34 PM
What is really cool is when you tell it like it really is. That totally blows people away. It's as if they expect you to lie. Then there are those good lies...

little girl...is Rex in doggie heaven?
you...yes dear, he is.

I try not to lie.

jack sommerset
06-11-2012, 09:39 PM
It's a tough thing not to lie at all. A police officer pulls you over and says "did u know u just went through a red light?" Most people say "nope" just to try to get out of a ticket. I find it hard to believe the average person lies 200 times a day. In fact, i find it absurd. God bless

"A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will perish."

resistanze
06-11-2012, 09:40 PM

I don't think I even say 200 sentences on some days :lol.

CuckingFunt
06-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm too fucking lazy to lie.

JoeChalupa
06-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I am guilty and that is no lie.

100%duncan
06-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Wtf? That can't be possible imho.

ALVAREZ6
06-11-2012, 11:10 PM
so it seems there is a consensus that this program is horseshit, if the AVERAGE person lies 200 times a day, then most people only speak the truth during 25-50% of the time they speak.

this leads me to believe that the 2nd statement, women lie 8 times more frequently than women, is horseshit.

Pee-Wee Herman
06-12-2012, 12:44 AM
The people how made that show lie.

Did you go to UTSA?

:rollin

haha!

Cyrano
06-12-2012, 05:42 AM
"No, those pants look fine"
"Yes, I'm listening"
"Yes, she looks slutty....how gross"
"Sure, I'd like to watch Twilight with you"
""I promise I'll pull out"

Sure, men may lie 8x more, but women FORCE them to.

JudynTX
06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
I've told 2 lies already. :wow

George W Bush
06-12-2012, 10:31 AM

Did you go to UTSA?

:lmao

mrsmaalox
06-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I tell the truth except when I lie.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-12-2012, 12:14 PM
I'll say

DarkReign
06-13-2012, 09:57 AM
I dont think people share the same definition of what a lie is.

You do lie 100+ times a day whether you realize it or not.

Examples:
How was your drive home? Horrible. Was it really horrible? Horrible is a word used to describe things like the holocaust or genocide, not traffic. An exaggeration, no matter how small, is a lie. I have to piss so bad my eyes are yellow Lie.

So, damn near every figure of speech is technically a lie.

If you think about all the untruth and exaggeration you say and use on an everyday basis for effect or to convey extra meaning to mundane observations, technically you are lying a whole helluva lot.

clambake
06-13-2012, 10:40 AM
the bullshit line i hear all day is "i'm giving a 110%"

JudynTX
06-13-2012, 10:42 AM

Examples:
How was your drive home? Horrible. Was it really horrible? Horrible is a word used to describe things like the holocaust or genocide, not traffic. An exaggeration, no matter how small, is a lie. I have to piss so bad my eyes are yellow Lie.

If you think about all the untruth and exaggeration you say and use on an everyday basis for effect or to convey extra meaning to mundane observations, technically you are lying a whole helluva lot.

That makes sense.

the bullshit line i hear all day is "i'm giving a 110%"

:lol I usually say 150%.

mrsmaalox
06-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Probably my most frequently used "lie" is all the times in a day when someone asks me what I'm doing. I usually say "nothing", when in reality I am doing something, I'm just not doing something particularly interesting.

resistanze
06-13-2012, 11:11 AM

Examples:

I think that's a extremely broad defiition of a lie, tbh. I don't think subjective assesments on what is good or not is considered a lie.

Am I lying when I say I had an 'awesome' day because I got promoted and got a big raise at work, just because winning the lottery is more awesome?

Also consider that a lie is gernally meant to decieve someone. If I'm at a ballet performance and a turn to my friend and say "Just shoot me", is that a lie? I don't know, I think it's pretty clear to your friend your simply using a figure of speech to express your disdain/boredom for the show, not that you want him to pull out a Glock 18 :lol

DarkReign
06-13-2012, 11:27 AM
I think that's a extremely broad defiition of a lie, tbh. I don't think subjective assesments on what is good or not is considered a lie.

Am I lying when I say I had an 'awesome' day because I got promoted and got a big raise at work, just because winning the lottery is more awesome?

Also consider that a lie is gernally meant to decieve someone. If I'm at a ballet performance and a turn to my friend and say "Just shoot me", is that a lie? I don't know, I think it's pretty clear to your friend your simply using a figure of speech to express your disdain/boredom for the show, not that you want him to pull out a Glock 18 :lol

As I said, first the definition of "lying" must be established.

For purposes of the OP's article/example, it would seem the most stringent definition of lying was used to put the number extremely high.

Stringent definition: Lying is anything that isnt the exact truth. Moreover, a question cannot be a lie, only an answer.

There was some simulation or side-show done years back that I can barely remember (no, not Liar, Liar), but the hook was a person who told no lies whatsoever in everyday life. It was like talking to an emotionless robot. The conclusion of this experiment or whatever it was (which is all I remember, btw), without the frivolity of interpretation, language and communication are quite stale.

resistanze
06-13-2012, 01:04 PM
As I said, first the definition of "lying" must be established.

For purposes of the OP's article/example, it would seem the most stringent definition of lying was used to put the number extremely high.

Stringent definition: Lying is anything that isnt the exact truth. Moreover, a question cannot be a lie, only an answer.

There was some simulation or side-show done years back that I can barely remember (no, not Liar, Liar), but the hook was a person who told no lies whatsoever in everyday life. It was like talking to an emotionless robot. The conclusion of this experiment or whatever it was (which is all I remember, btw), without the frivolity of interpretation, language and communication are quite stale.

Fair enough, I agree. I just question what's the usefulness of them saying we lie '200 times a day', if it requires us to be willfully obtuse to the practical definition of lying.

Dwight Yoakam
06-13-2012, 01:14 PM
I tell the truth except when I lie.

And it only hurts me when I cry

Mickey Goldmill
06-13-2012, 03:04 PM

utsa? :lol

Jimcs50
06-13-2012, 03:23 PM
I never lie

:angel

DeadlyDynasty
06-13-2012, 03:26 PM
I never lie

:angel

I'd rather be a liar than a Dane Cook fan, tbh.

Jimcs50
06-13-2012, 03:28 PM
I'd rather be a liar than a Dane Cook fan, tbh.

I do not like Dane Cook

Jimcs50
06-13-2012, 03:30 PM
All I can say is there are a lot of people who have their pants on fire.

DarkReign
06-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Fair enough, I agree. I just question what's the usefulness of them saying we lie '200 times a day', if it requires us to be willfully obtuse to the practical definition of lying.

Agree completely, there is no practical use to a "statistic" that requires a complete disregard to normal euphemisms, analogies, etc.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-13-2012, 04:20 PM
If you tell one lie to a group of ten people does that count as 10 lies? Because I might make that quota on the times that I wish visitors a nice day when at best I just want them to have a day that is somewhere out of my sight, and at worst wish they would get hit by a bus as soon as they walk away from me.

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 04:32 PM
liars suck...and it seems to be more rampant in today's society than ever. you don't truly respect someone if you can't be up front with them, that's why i don't associate with liars.

i've always been painfully blunt and honest. it doesn't always make people happy.

JudynTX
06-13-2012, 04:37 PM
If you tell one lie to a group of ten people does that count as 10 lies? Because I might make that quota on the times that I wish visitors a nice day when at best I just want them to have a day that is somewhere out of my sight, and at worst wish they would get hit by a bus as soon as they walk away from me.

:lol:lol Don't you ever just want to say "Have a shitty day"!

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 04:45 PM
^I'm rarely in the position to tell someone to "have a nice day" so i wouldn't really have to lie even if i did want them to have a shitty one

but no, what kind of person wants others to have a bad day just because? if i don't like someone, i'll let them know but it's not the usual.

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 04:49 PM
i assume that was meant to be some sort of shitty insult implying that i work in some sort of service industry and would be disgruntled and angry

bitch, i'll make more in my life than you have or ever will, men earn more than women and i'm educated. i can make more money daytrading in the market on my lunch hour than you can at your full time job.

Monostradamus
06-13-2012, 04:54 PM

Are you all wet? Is your pussy all wet?

mrsmaalox
06-14-2012, 11:18 AM
And it only hurts me when I cry

Awww, you got it! :makeout