PDA

View Full Version : Clause in Brendan Haywood's contract will pay him until 2026

djohn2oo8
06-12-2012, 05:44 PM
It's been widely speculated that the Mavericks will use the one-time amnesty provision to remove Haywood from the salary cap. But a rare clause in Haywood's contract could make that move unnecessary.

Haywood has what one NBA executive called "the best spread provision in the NBA'' in his contract. In layman's terms, any team that waives Haywood can spread out the payments for the remainder of his contract until 2026, according to an NBA source.

That means the team that owns his rights and waives him would be responsible for no more than $2 million per year over the next 14 years.

But the fact that the $27.22 million that is guaranteed can be spread out over more than a decade, if a team so desires, is a huge advantage for a team looking for salary-cap protection if they also are looking for a functional center. .
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20120608-clause-in-haywood-s-contract-could-make-him-sweetener-in-trade-talks.ece

lurker
06-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I threw up a little bit when I read the post title but I'm ok now.

djohn2oo8
06-12-2012, 05:52 PM
:lol

DMC
06-12-2012, 05:54 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20120608-clause-in-haywood-s-contract-could-make-him-sweetener-in-trade-talks.ece
What a great contract, not as good as Joe Johnson, but up there.

mavs>spurs
06-12-2012, 06:09 PM
trade haywood, amnesty marion, WE STACKED FOR THE TRIPLE D :lobt2:

JamStone
06-12-2012, 06:21 PM

:lol

mavs>spurs
06-12-2012, 06:22 PM
trade haywood to a team looking for cap relief for a mid to late first round pick, amnesty marion, sign dwight and deron and then give batum the MLE

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-12-2012, 06:38 PM
trade haywood to a team looking for cap relief for a mid to late first round pick, amnesty marion, sign dwight and deron and then give batum the MLE

Teams can't have cap space and the MLE in the same offseason. But yes, after trading Haywood and amnestying Marion, the Mavericks will be able to make some pretty fucking awesome moves.

Latarian Milton
06-13-2012, 12:44 AM
yeah life turns bright all of a sudden with the breaking news, thanx 2 my nigga djohn. mavs are getting DH & Deron and are guaranteed for a shitload of rings in the coming years, and who the FUCK cares what you make up the rest of team with

we FUCKING stacked :cry

Latarian Milton
06-13-2012, 12:45 AM
yeah life turns bright all of a sudden with the breaking news, thanx 2 my nigga djohn. mavs are getting DH & Deron and are guaranteed for a shitload of rings in the coming years, and who the FUCK cares what you make up the rest of team with

we FUCKING stacked :cry

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 12:55 AM
we staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacked

get on aim, dawg!

Nathan89
06-13-2012, 12:57 AM

Nothing relieves cap like a contract of 9mil for three years.:lol

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 12:59 AM
huh? who wouldn't want to get rid of 9 mil of dead weight? if all else fails we can just cut him ourselves...this is GREAT fucking news, hater!

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 12:59 AM
a team like the heat could use haywood then just cut him after a year or 2. they are in bad need of a center and would actually benefit from having him.

Nathan89
06-13-2012, 01:01 AM
a team like the heat could use haywood then just cut him after a year or 2. they are in bad need of a center and would actually benefit from having him.

Who do you want from the Heat for Haywood?

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 01:03 AM
just late first rounder or a 2nd round pick...just want to get rid of him tbh we need cap space. if we get rid of haywood and amnesty marion, we can afford both dwight and deron.

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 01:10 AM
By getting rid of those 2, we will only be on the books for 24,411,020 next year, while the cap is expected to grow to between 60 and 61 million.

That leaves us 35,588,980 to work with this offseason.

Nathan89
06-13-2012, 01:12 AM
just late first rounder or a 2nd round pick...just want to get rid of him tbh we need cap space. if we get rid of haywood and amnesty marion, we can afford both dwight and deron.

:hat

Nobody in the league would trade for Haywood. That contract for that player is way worse than Dick Jefferson's.

Nathan89
06-13-2012, 01:14 AM
If you trade Haywood you have to take back roughly equal value for him. That's how trades work. Unless a team under the cap want him. Which no team in the league would.

Marion will be on the team unless you can trade him. For roughly equal values.

Haywood will be amnestied.

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 01:19 AM
^we'd just cut him before we kept him, pay 2 mil this year and defer the other 7 mil to later years

Latarian Milton
06-13-2012, 01:27 AM
DH ain't a free agent this summer imho

Nathan89
06-13-2012, 01:29 AM
^we'd just cut him before we kept him, pay 2 mil this year and defer the other 7 mil to later years

Uh...:bang I didn't read any of the original post.:bang

My bad.

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 01:30 AM
DH ain't a free agent this summer imho

lol i keep forgetting his dumb ass opted back in

Latarian Milton
06-13-2012, 01:57 AM
extend all expiring niggas to one more year and get a bargain from the FA market, mavs are still pretty competitive imho. just wait another year and keep good financial flexibility for 13' summer in case DH becomes a free agent. deron ain't worth the max imho and you got jason kidd who can still play

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 02:06 AM
honestly the more i think about it the more i really don't want deron williams. i don't think he's worth the max at all tbh, i'd rather wait one more year and get cp3 if we have to max someone out, or just go with dwight plus a shooting guard and sign a role player as the pg

Dunc n Dave
06-13-2012, 02:34 AM
DHoward would have to be acquired through a trade. Orlando won't take Haywood and Marion/Carter for him... Howard is a pipe dream until 2013...

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 02:41 AM
Rather go after cp3 and Bynum by then imho

TDMVPDPOY
06-13-2012, 02:57 AM
lol the spread is a way to minimize his tax

Latarian Milton
06-13-2012, 03:00 AM
DHoward would have to be acquired through a trade. Orlando won't take Haywood and Marion/Carter for him... Howard is a pipe dream until 2013...

not really imho. Haywood is like an expiring contract to some extent, if you acquire him & waive him you only pay him 2m annually, and with the high inflation rate considered you know how much less the 2m is gonna worth in 14yrs time

also that n!gger odom is still contracted to them mavs and only 2.4m is guaranteed for the last year (pretty like stack's contract in 09 which was dealt in part for marion), nigga is an expiring contract TOO!!! mavs only traded their TE for him because a trade exception can only be used in single players trade, but there's no such limit on an semi-expiring contract that LO is

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 04:09 AM
lol the spread is a way to minimize his tax

the article in the OP says that it would remove his pay from the salary cap, not just minimize taxes

noob cake
06-13-2012, 04:57 AM
Donnie and Cuban makes Morey look like a fool with all the bullshit contract clauses.

TheRealCB
06-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Donnie and Cuban makes Morey look like a fool with all the bullshit contract clauses.
Well,they make around 25 of 29 GM's look like fools,so it's ok.

Nathan89
06-13-2012, 07:53 AM
honestly the more i think about it the more i really don't want deron williams. i don't think he's worth the max at all tbh, i'd rather wait one more year and get cp3 if we have to max someone out, or just go with dwight plus a shooting guard and sign a role player as the pg

Better spend this year imho... You ain't going to like watching free-agents turn down Dallas to go to SA next year.:hat

Latarian Milton
06-13-2012, 08:29 AM
its just a financial relief imho. to execute the clause you must waive the player first (as the clause speaks itself), and his future salaries (8m, 9m and 10m) are counted against the cap as the player is waived. however it may still be pretty appealing since you don't have to pay him 28m bucks all at once. e.g. the glazers bought up manchester United with the money that was mostly loaned from banks, and the interest they've paid so far is already bigger then the original money they borrowed, that said if you loan 28m from the bank you're gonna end up paying MUCH more in the 14 years