PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Durant or 2006 Kobe..

HarlemHeat37
06-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Which player is better, tbh?..

I dislike both players, so I don't have a bias here..they're very comparable, though, 2 of the best scorers of all-time..

Donkeybong
06-12-2012, 11:29 PM
I dont even think Durant has reached his scoring potential yet. Kobe gifted him the scoring title this year. No contest, Kobe 2006.

That being said, dumb thread.

Koolaid_Man
06-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Which player is better, tbh?..

I dislike both players, so I don't have a bias here..they're very comparable, though, 2 of the best scorers of all-time..

Hey you spot light diverting sanctimonious little piece of shit...soon it will be

0-3 for Lebron and I will force you to wipe your ass with pieces of fiber glass insulation...

ok :lol

pass1st
06-12-2012, 11:36 PM
2008/2002/2001 Kobe is a better comparison. 2006 wasn't his best season, this is Durant's best.

Juggity
06-12-2012, 11:38 PM
2012 Durant is in the NBA Finals and leading his team as the alpha.

2006 Kobe lost in the first round as the alpha to a D'Antoni Suns team.

Koolaid_Man
06-12-2012, 11:40 PM

who was 2006 Kobe playing with vs 2012 Durants teammate...:lol

uh huh I thought you wouldn't want to post that :lmao

TDMVPDPOY
06-12-2012, 11:40 PM
06 kome = one man team chuckn up shots, what was his FGA and FTA that year?

pass1st
06-12-2012, 11:41 PM
06 kome = one man team chuckn up shots, what was his FGA and FTA that year?

Not bad, like 46%. Not amazing, but good for a guard.

midnightpulp
06-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Durant so far. If Durant can keep up his current level of play and close this thing out against the team that theoretically matches up with him best since the Heat have Lebron and Battier to defend him, it'll exceed any of Kobe's post-season campaigns. Therefore, we'd have to concede peak Durant>peak Kobe (I really don't give a shit about 81 points, 4 straight games scoring 50, etc, etc. Regular season performances, nothing more. Nobody knob slobs David Robinson for scoring 71 and recording a quad double in the same season, and rightfully so. Who gives a shit what you do against a bottom feeder in March).

Venti Quattro
06-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Lol is this a serious comparison?

2012 Durant is championship material. 2006 Kobe, while his stats were amazing, had a mediocre year by his standards.

TE
06-12-2012, 11:55 PM

That's one of the most pathetically embarrassing comparisons ever, and I hate Kobe.

Kobe was playing with a D-league level talent team. Just a horrible, horrible comparison.

ducks
06-12-2012, 11:55 PM
why do you not like kd?
he is not cocky,plays hard, plays d
signs and extention to contract without a big press conference
his postgame interview with glasses I do not care for
but on the court nothing to bash him for

midnightpulp
06-13-2012, 12:00 AM
And look who Durant has hadf to play against on the perimeter:

Dirk
Kobe/Artest
Ginobili (not to mention being harassed by Jackson and Leonard, two of the better defenders at the small forward position, and he made them look like shit)
Lebron James

If Durant finishes business, it'll go down as one of the all-time great playoff campaigns. Bar none. And funny enough, the same accolades await Lebron if the Heat charge back and win the series.

Both players have played about as good as one can throughout the course of the playoffs.

JamStone
06-13-2012, 12:09 AM
If we're going with Kobe in the years in between Shaq and Gasol, I think Kobe was better in 2006-07 than he was in 2005-06. He was a more willing passer despite still having shitty teammates outside of Odom. Smush Parker and Luke Walton were starting. But Kobe made a little more of an effort to be a playmaker for his teammates. Not a lot... but more than he did in 2005-06 when it was clear he wanted to score 40 points every game and didn't give a shit what his shitty teammates would do. And partially as a result, he shot the ball slightly better from the field as well, took almost 5 fewer shot attempts per game, averaged almost an assist more a game. I know it's not the question, but I think 2007 Kobe was better than 2006 Kobe.

DMC
06-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Durant knows how to pass the ball, will do what it takes to win. Kobe has always been at least as interested in personal glory as in winning.

Latarian Milton
06-13-2012, 12:45 AM
which player gets more calls

mercos
06-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Right now, I would take Kevin Durant over any version of Kobe, and that is with no disrespect to the future hall of famer. Kobe had more talent than Durant currently does, but Durant has size, which is so crucial in basketball. As of now, I'd be compelled to take that size and shooting ability over anyone.

Goran Dragic
06-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Kobe had more talent than Durant currently does
:lol no

JamStone
06-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Depends how you view and define at "talent." Kobe had more dominating talent around him during his championship runs. Durant probably has more depth of talent around him, and more complementary talent in terms of allowing KD to shine as the star. While Westbrook can dominate the ball and take away touches from Durant, he also presents opportunity for Durant in that Westbrook is also a perimeter player who doesn't clog the lane. That allows Durant more space to work with when he's attacking on offense. With Kobe, the talent he had around him was having great big men who made it hard for defenses to double him. But with Shaq and Bynum/Gasol to a lesser extent, offensively Kobe had a few more obstacles in terms of being able to attack the rim off the dribble because his bigs were planted in and around the paint.

With Shaq especially, since Shaq was so unstoppable, one could easily argue Kobe had more talent around him because he one of the most dominat big men in the history of the game. But Westbrook, Harden, and (arguably) Ibaka give Durant great talent around him and Perkins and Sefolosha offer excellent role play that perhaps complements his game better.

How do you define talent? I can see an argument for either side.

Goran Dragic
06-13-2012, 11:47 AM
His comment was about individual talent (i.e. physical ability) not supporting cast talent.

Goran Dragic
06-13-2012, 11:54 AM
sup mono :lol

Goran Dragic
06-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Sounds fun tbh.

Goran Dragic
06-13-2012, 11:58 AM
I'll have to log into an account that isn't banned from da scrip club

JamStone
06-13-2012, 12:02 PM
His comment was about individual talent (i.e. physical ability) not supporting cast talent.

My fault.

I'd go with Durant having more natural talent, but it's close. Coming into the league, Kobe had great skill plus elite athleticism. Durant had great shooting skill and was extremely tall and long for a perimeter player. That's a tough one too.

mercos
06-13-2012, 01:11 PM
I said talent in my original post, but I guess the correct wording might be skill set? What I was trying to point out was that Kobe had a more polished offensive game. He had more moves. Kevin Durant has a great pull up jumper, but his greatness is basically tied to the fact that he can shoot over anybody. Kobe had a plethora of moves in his game: pump fakes, fadeaway jumpers, pull up jumpers, etc. Kobe had to work harder to score. That is why I said I would take Durant, because he makes it look easy.

Goran Dragic
06-13-2012, 01:17 PM
I said talent in my original post, but I guess the correct wording might be skill set? What I was trying to point out was that Kobe had a more polished offensive game. He had more moves. Kevin Durant has a great pull up jumper, but his greatness is basically tied to the fact that he can shoot over anybody. Kobe had a plethora of moves in his game: pump fakes, fadeaway jumpers, pull up jumpers, etc. Kobe had to work harder to score. That is why I said I would take Durant, because he makes it look easy.
Well I agree with all of this. If Durant had Kobe's set of skills/moves/etc. he'd average 40 a game.

Monostradamus
06-13-2012, 01:19 PM
The skill set test is if the player was 6 inches taller or shorter, how would they fare?

If Kobe was a 7 footer he would still be an all star, his post game is as good as anyone in the game. If Kobe was a 6 footer, he has the ballhandling, court vision, and body control to be an effective PG (clearly he doesn't have a PG mindset tho).

Meanwhile, if Durant was taller and forced to play like a center, he'd get routinely thrown around like a ragdoll, plus he has no post game. If he was shorter and had to play guard, he'd still be good but his inability to shoot over the top and his shitty passing ability would mean he's not a superstar.

z0sa
06-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Kobe already had 3 rings and 4 Finals appearances, gotta go with him tbh

Ask this question again in 2-3 years.