PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard

Beanzamillion21
06-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Can he be as good or better than Thabo Sefolosha?

Small Fundamental
06-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Not sure if trolling. But he can be a million times better than Sefolosha could ever dream of being.

Richie
06-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Funnily enough thier rookie seasons are quite similar per minute production. Kawhi is marginally better in most areas, the only area he is significantly better is FT%. Also drafted in the same area, 13th vs 15th overall.

Leetonidas
06-13-2012, 09:05 AM
As an overall player he is already way better than Sefolosha could ever hope to be

jiggy_55
06-13-2012, 09:30 AM
As an overall player he is already way better than Sefolosha could ever hope to be

Sefolosha is one of the league's best defenders easily.. Leonard has a ways to go to get to that level defensively.. However offensively, Leonard is much more complete and he will continue to improve.

ohmwrecker
06-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Sefolosha is in the finals. Leonard is fishing.

Beanzamillion21
06-13-2012, 10:02 AM

I wouldn't poo poo on Thabo, IMO he is the reason we lost in the WCF. I would love to have that guy in a Spurs uniform.

TDMVPDPOY
06-13-2012, 10:17 AM
lol comparing a rookie to a scrub

Hooks
06-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Kawhi is a better offensive player, just as good of a 3pt shooter, and a better rebounder. Thabo is a much better defender though although Kawhi is no slouch on D, Thabo has got the best lateral speed in the NBA IMO, only a few players can rival it like Allen and Bledsoe or example.

Kawhi will be a much better player than him though, he'll be an elite SF in a few years. Kawhi improved a ton throughout the season, a 20 year old SF, he came into the NBA extremely raw and just shot the college 3 at just 29%.

Throughout the year we saw him develop, start, guard the team's best player every night and do a great job, turn into a 37% 3pt shooter in the season shooting 49% overall. Even in the playoffs he played great and even turned up his level of play.

He did all this as a 20 year old with NO training camp, very few practices throughout the season as well, after being thrown into the starting lineup. It's incredible how much he improved.

I think he will have a great season this year. He'll go through a full training camp, he's gained a lot of chemistry with his teammates, and he'll just be more comfortable overall. I also think the fact that he played and started in the playoffs gave him valuable experience.

Kawhi will also be participating with Blair in practicing and scrimmaging against team USA as they were selected to do so with other rookies. I think this will make a HUGE impact on Kawhi, he'll be trying to get his offense against the very best the NBA has to offer and will be defending the very best players as well. This will do wonders for Kawhi's development.

If Kawhi wants to become an elite player he'll have to hit the weight room and get stronger in both the upper and lower body, he really needs to work on his vertical.

Thomas82
06-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Sefolosha is one of the league's best defenders easily.. Leonard has a ways to go to get to that level defensively.. However offensively, Leonard is much more complete and he will continue to improve.

I wouldn't poo poo on Thabo, IMO he is the reason we lost in the WCF. I would love to have that guy in a Spurs uniform.

True, but let's not forget that Thabo Sefalosha is already 28 years old and in his prime. Imagine how good Kawhi Leonard will be in his prime. We still don't even know where his ceiling is.

Beanzamillion21
06-13-2012, 10:25 AM
True, but let's not forget that Thabo Sefalosha is already 28 years old and in his prime. Imagine how good Kawhi Leonard will be in his prime. We still don't even know where his ceiling is.

That's what I like to hear!

SamoanTD
06-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Slap your self for asking.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-13-2012, 11:44 AM
I expect Leonard to continue to improve but I think "elite SF" is above his ceiling. When we say elite SF who would be on that list...Lebron, Durant, Pierce, Carmelo (at least in some people's eyes)?

I can see Leonard at a Luol Deng level. Borderline all star who is often "underrated" but no way is he going to be up there with Lebron and Durant and Pierce.

Gibbz
06-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Sefolosha is in the finals. Leonard is fishing.

That argument for role-players is bullshit.

MaNu4Tres
06-13-2012, 11:56 AM
I think a good comparison and ceiling for Leonard is Luol Deng. Both have very very similar games (imo).

spurspokesman
06-13-2012, 12:03 PM
This is a rookie playing like he's been in the league for years. He will be worlds better than sef when its all said and done.

tesseractive
06-13-2012, 12:47 PM
I expect Leonard to continue to improve but I think "elite SF" is above his ceiling. When we say elite SF who would be on that list...Lebron, Durant, Pierce, Carmelo (at least in some people's eyes)?

I can see Leonard at a Luol Deng level. Borderline all star who is often "underrated" but no way is he going to be up there with Lebron and Durant and Pierce.

:tu

I think his ceiling is as a terrific 3rd best player on an elite team. But I don't see any of the signs that he's going to be the kind of guy that can create his own shot against a defense scheming to stop him as well set the table for everyone else.

Duncan2177
06-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Leonard could be the next Scottie Pippen.

T Park
06-13-2012, 01:51 PM
The kid is twenty. Why the hell couldn't he develop more moves and offense? Nothing is stopping him....

Vito Corleone
06-13-2012, 02:04 PM

+1000

I love Thabo's game, he is the exact type of player Pop always looked for, he would be a Spurs fan favorite if he were here. He is already Bruce Bowen.

Beanzamillion21
06-13-2012, 02:07 PM
The kid is twenty. Why the hell couldn't he develop more moves and offense? Nothing is stopping him....

That being said, what do you think his ceiling will be in his pro career?

tesseractive
06-13-2012, 02:20 PM

He absolutely can develop more moves. He can be a terrific offensive player. But it's pretty rare for guys to just sort of develop into All-NBA scorers. You can almost invariably tell that about a guy pretty early on.

CGD
06-13-2012, 04:45 PM
I think the dent comparison is a good one, except kawai is already mentally tougher than that guy. Tools are similar though

Rain318
06-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Kawhi is a better offensive player, just as good of a 3pt shooter, and a better rebounder. Thabo is a much better defender though although Kawhi is no slouch on D, Thabo has got the best lateral speed in the NBA IMO, only a few players can rival it like Allen and Bledsoe or example.

Kawhi will be a much better player than him though, he'll be an elite SF in a few years. Kawhi improved a ton throughout the season, a 20 year old SF, he came into the NBA extremely raw and just shot the college 3 at just 29%.

Throughout the year we saw him develop, start, guard the team's best player every night and do a great job, turn into a 37% 3pt shooter in the season shooting 49% overall. Even in the playoffs he played great and even turned up his level of play.

He did all this as a 20 year old with NO training camp, very few practices throughout the season as well, after being thrown into the starting lineup. It's incredible how much he improved.

I think he will have a great season this year. He'll go through a full training camp, he's gained a lot of chemistry with his teammates, and he'll just be more comfortable overall. I also think the fact that he played and started in the playoffs gave him valuable experience.

Kawhi will also be participating with Blair in practicing and scrimmaging against team USA as they were selected to do so with other rookies. I think this will make a HUGE impact on Kawhi, he'll be trying to get his offense against the very best the NBA has to offer and will be defending the very best players as well. This will do wonders for Kawhi's development.

If Kawhi wants to become an elite player he'll have to hit the weight room and get stronger in both the upper and lower body, he really needs to work on his vertical.

+1

Thabo has maxed out his potential

Kawhi has a huge upside

angelbelow
06-13-2012, 05:12 PM
I think a good comparison and ceiling for Leonard is Luol Deng. Both have very very similar games (imo).

Interesting take. They did have similar rookie seasons. Although Deng was more polished offensively at that point. He also quickly developed a deadly mid range jumper just a couple seasons after his rookie campaign.

DMC
06-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Same shit was said about Blair when he was a rookie.

Truth is that we don't know and we won't until several years pass.

Spur|n|Austin
06-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Leonard could be the next Scottie Pippen.

Who's his Jordan?

SamoanTD
06-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Who's his Jordan?

Karl Malone says he doesn't need one.