PDA

View Full Version : Workplace Strife

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Let me ask a hypothetical question.

If you worked with someone, did the same job, maybe even brought more to the table than he or she did, but basically produced the same results. The other person decided they were going to quit. Management then went out of their way to give this other person special concesions that they didnt offer you to convince them to stay. Concessions like a new title, the benefit of working from home 2 to 3 days a week, more leeway in chosing their assignments, rumored more pay (not confirmed). Would you feel happy for that person, or resentful? At first I was happy for them. The more I think about it, the more resentful I get. Why are they getting all of these special considerations, when we do the same work. Am i being a bitch, or do I have a legitimate gripe?

I told myself I wasnt going to be a bitch about it, but the more I think about it, and the more I am confronted with it, the more it pisses me off.

clambake
06-13-2012, 01:26 PM
how do you know that other person received that compensation?

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 01:27 PM
how do you know that other person received that compensation?

It was made public as to the reason she is staying on here, and not quitting at the end of the week. My boss told me.

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 01:30 PM
What pisses me off the most is that we do the same thing and I am expected to produce the same work, yet I have to deal with being in the office, having to manage more than one project at a time, the interuptions etc. While she gets to work from home, pick and choose what she does, and doesnt do, etc...

clambake
06-13-2012, 01:30 PM
so its a she.

clambake
06-13-2012, 01:31 PM
since your boss told you........why don't you ask him/her if he/she thinks thats fair?

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Well, I most likely will, but I wanted outside opinions if it was a gripe worth speaking up over, or was I just being a bitter bitch...

I dont want to be that guy...ya know? So it may be better to just keep it to myself and get over it...

clambake
06-13-2012, 01:33 PM
don't be a dick about it.....just give your boss something to chew on. see what happens.

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 01:34 PM
So you would bring it up, if you were in my position?

ploto
06-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Is there some special reason they did this- like is she caring for a sick parent or something?

I guess they thought she was valuable enough not to lose.

DeadlyDynasty
06-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Chances are you aren't the only one resentful over it. Ask him about it, but be tactful in your approach.

BacktoBasics
since your boss told you........why don't you ask him/her if he/she thinks thats fair?Too risky. We don't live in a day an age where you can question authority and get away with it because you're valued so highly. That woman most likely knew the end result of announcing her departure. Appears calculated.

I think you have every right to be pissed so its only comes to down to how much you value the job. Not how much they value you.

clambake
but you need to be prepared to show that you bring just as much to the table if not more than she did.

can you show that?

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Is there some special reason they did this- like is she caring for a sick parent or something?

I guess they thought she was valuable enough not to lose.

She lives in Austin and works here. The reason she was quitting is because she had a job offer in Austin. They made the concessions so she would stay here. So part of me is happy for her, its easier on her, and she is a nice person...but part of me says, "WTF, why is it our problem she chose to get a job in another city..."

Think Im just being a dick..and yea, I know other people are resentful...we have a couple in our group that hate everyone, so Im sure they are fuming about it.

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 01:38 PM
but you need to be prepared to show that you bring just as much to the table if not more than she did.

can you show that?

I have more education and experience doing the job, but she has been here a little over a year, I have been here three months...part of the reason I am trying to convince myself to keep my mouth shut...I dont have the tangible results at this place like she does.

And yes B2B I completely agree with you. She made the propsal to them to get the special considerations a week or two before she announced she was quitting and they ignored it.

rascal
06-13-2012, 01:39 PM
So you would bring it up, if you were in my position?

You may not like the answer you get from your boss and end up being more bitter. So either let it go or quit the job.

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 01:41 PM
You may not like the answer you get from your boss and end up being more bitter. So either let it go or quit the job.

true. I tried to look at the bright side...we are pushing for them to split our group and open up some developer roles that they dont currently have. In this instance they did for her (even though we both do the same work)...Maybe it will work out for me in the future, and they will eventually open one for me too.

clambake
06-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Too risky. We don't live in a day an age where you can question authority and get away with it because you're valued so highly. That woman most likely knew the end result of announcing her departure. Appears calculated.

I think you have every right to be pissed so its only comes to down to how much you value the job. Not how much they value you.

if i couldn't calmly ask that question because of fear......then that sucks anyway.

i have many employees. i don't rule them with fear. if they can show me why they deserve something (even though i already know what they bring but i'm just a cheap bitch) then i'll honestly consider it. but i would need to see some real effort in their presentation.

DeadlyDynasty
06-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Take anything rascal says with a grain of bath salts

clambake
06-13-2012, 01:45 PM
would have helped if you told me you've only been there 3 months.

rascal
06-13-2012, 01:45 PM
true. I tried to look at the bright side...we are pushing for them to split our group and open up some developer roles that they dont currently have. In this instance they did for her (even though we both do the same work)...Maybe it will work out for me in the future, and they will eventually open one for me too.

That is the right approach. Be patient and things should work out. Confronting the boss often turns confrontational and it only takes one time to cross the boss and you will be screwed.

The boss will give you some company line bullshit anyways so why even bother with her.

thispego
06-13-2012, 01:46 PM
has she worked there longer than you? is she hot?

Soul_Patch
if i couldn't calmly ask that question because of fear......then that sucks anyway.

i have many employees. i don't rule them with fear. if they can show me why they deserve something (even though i already know what they bring but i'm just a cheap bitch) then i'll honestly consider it. but i would need to see some real effort in their presentation.

Yea, and my boss is an absolute sweet heart. Really nice lady. Fact is the concessions she got absolutely make sense and I am all for them for what her and I are doing. They benefit us and our organization. What I dont like is that she got them and I didnt...that is what kind of pisses me off. I dont even want the work from home thing, that is inconsequential for me really...What i do want is the job title, the pay and defined role of being a developer. Right now I am a developer, but titled something else, so I have to try and keep up with the development schedule while still maintaining all of the duties of my actual title...she doesnt have to do that, and that is why I am resentful.

Soul_Patch
has she worked there longer than you? is she hot?

No, she is a 50something year old butch lesbian lady...lol...

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 01:47 PM
would have helped if you told me you've only been there 3 months.

Why should it matter really, she has only been here a year...

thispego
06-13-2012, 01:47 PM
oh, saw 1 year to 3 months. yeah, you don't have anything to say about this. wait at least the full year and try to pull the same stunt.

bus driver
06-13-2012, 01:49 PM
No, she is a 50something year old butch lesbian lady...lol...

were there goes the discrimination POV if asking the boss went sour :wakeup

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 01:49 PM
oh, saw 1 year to 3 months. yeah, you don't have anything to say about this. wait at least the full year and try to pull the same stunt.

yea, thats part of my hesitation of raising any hell about it...that said, i hardly put much weight behind 1 year of employment, but I guess it is more than 3 months...

z0sa
06-13-2012, 01:50 PM
3 most likely possibilities IMHO:

1) Your company needs all their people right now for whatever reason(s) and if you had announced your departure in the same style, you may have received the same benefits.

2) You actually don't do as much/as good of work as she does.

3) You actually do more/better work than she does and this "working from home" gig isn't permanent for her. It's a transition into "staying home and being jobless."

BacktoBasics

can you show that?Really what he needs to be prepared to do is show that he can comfortably walk at their expense.

i have many employees. i don't rule them with fear. if they can show me why they deserve something (even though i already know what they bring but i'm just a cheap bitch) then i'll honestly consider it. but i would need to see some real effort in their presentation.I sincerely agree with this and it sounds like you and I have the same style of management. However people who manage with this style are few and far between.

We live in a world where shit rises to the top and managing with fear is far more the norm.

clambake
Why should it matter really, she has only been here a year...

because i give a new employees 3 months to show me why i should keep them.

its a very common practice. and they're informed of it the moment they accept an offer of employment. its a head game tool.

JudynTX
06-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Stop your bitching, at least you have a job.

BacktoBasics
06-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Why should it matter really, she has only been here a year...Trust would be the biggest factor here. 3 months really isn't enough time to fully trust someone. Their work ethic, reliability and consistency in quality.

I certainly believe you have a right to be pissed but its not at all uncommon for someone with significantly more time on the job to earn more than the guy who just started his first quarter.

DeadlyDynasty
06-13-2012, 01:54 PM

its a very common practice. and they're informed of it the moment they accept an offer of employment. its a head game tool.

Then give them another 3-6 months to earn bennies:tu

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 01:55 PM

True, and I am well aware of that. In fact, last week I had my 3 month probationary eval and it was perfect. In my three months here I have brought a lot to the table and my manager is very aware of that, she said as much in my eval. I guess that is part of the reason I am as resentful as I am...

Judy, true...i should probably just be happy I am employed...

BacktoBasics
06-13-2012, 01:58 PM
True, and I am well aware of that. In fact, last week I had my 3 month probationary eval and it was perfect. In my three months here I have brought a lot to the table and my manager is very aware of that, she said as much in my eval. I guess that is part of the reason I am as resentful as I am...

Judy, true...i should probably just be happy I am employed...If I hired someone that asked for higher pay or more benefits after just getting through their first 90 day run. I'd wonder if this person was going to be one of those guys who's always asking for shit because they're never happy. You have to pick and choose your moments wisely. 90 days is just too soon. Even if you're running circles around this lady.

clambake
06-13-2012, 02:02 PM
If I hired someone that asked for higher pay or more benefits after just getting through their first 90 day run. I'd wonder if this person was going to be one of those guys who's always asking for shit because they're never happy. You have to pick and choose your moments wisely. 90 days is just too soon. Even if you're running circles around this lady.

he gets it. we're just here to help him rationalize this.

clambake
06-13-2012, 02:04 PM
the fact that she's going to be away from the office gives you the opportunity to shine.

focus on that. build your war chest.

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 02:04 PM
I do...just kinda irks me...If anything, I am teaching her how to do development shit because she has never done it before...yet she gets the glory...bleh...such is life I guess.

JudynTX
06-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Would you still feel this way if your coworker was a dude?

rascal
06-13-2012, 02:05 PM
You are not getting more pay or any type of promotion based on what they did for your fellow co-worker. Just won't happen so don't even consider it.

Like I said earlier you will likely not like what you hear from your boss and be even more bitter. Good chance you will hear don't worry about what others are getting and just be concerned about your work.

clambake
06-13-2012, 02:07 PM
well now, he just said that he's had to train her. does this mean she will be calling you for instruction?

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 02:29 PM
well now, he just said that he's had to train her. does this mean she will be calling you for instruction?

Most likely yes, I have an MS in this field with experience, she doesn't and kind of BSd her way into the role.

And judy, I could care less if she was male / female...completely irrelevant to me.

clambake
06-13-2012, 02:34 PM
is training her part of your job description?

I. Hustle
06-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Here is what you do.
1.) Buy a van
2.) buy a hazmat suit
3.) start claening up crime scenes

All you need is a scrub brush, Dawn and some bleach.

I. Hustle
06-13-2012, 02:37 PM
:hat

BacktoBasics
06-13-2012, 02:38 PM
If you do end up training her then document it and a year later ask for a higher pay grade than she earns rather than an equal pay scale.

You could always quit and become a full time fishing guide. That might solve a lot.

BacktoBasics
06-13-2012, 02:38 PM
[doublepost]

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 02:40 PM
If you do end up training her then document it and a year later ask for a higher pay grade than she earns rather than an equal pay scale.

You could always quit and become a full time fishing guide. That might solve a lot.

Now we're talking!

BacktoBasics
06-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Now we're talking!Obvious solution but it desperately needed to be mentioned.

clambake
06-13-2012, 02:43 PM
is training her part of your job description?

as an employer, this is an important question. did your boss instruct you to do so?

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 02:45 PM
No, I just do it because we are a team...if anything she would be my lead, due to her tenure over me.

clambake
06-13-2012, 02:49 PM
you have a boss, yet you're expected to answer to the austin chick, also?

clambake
06-13-2012, 02:50 PM
if thats the case, then just let your performance to the talking.

Soul_Patch
06-13-2012, 03:04 PM
No I don't answer to her...it's kind of hard to explain I guess...since she was the original one here to take on development, she is viewed as the lead...I basically assist her, even though I've got quite a bit more knowledge and experience than her...she has it made quite honest, which is where my gripe comes from. I'm the brains behind the operation, yet she gets all the glory.

clambake
06-13-2012, 03:09 PM
be sure to add that to your war chest and continue to excel. let some time pass. make sure the boss knows about the training if it gets excessive.

johnsmith
06-13-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm with clambake and b2b here, three months is way too soon. You have to be patient, work hard, and take care of your business. If you do those 3 things to the best of your ability, someone will eventually notice and you will be rewarded, regardless of what this chick is doing. The patience part is by far the most difficult so what I used to do is in my free time, go find strange ass to pass the time.....then suddenly after a few years of good, solid performance, i was rewarded....

Then I got married....that's was dumb.

johnsmith
06-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Oh, but eventually, you may have to ask the question about more money/responsibility.....for the most part, an employer isn't gonna give it it you if you don't ask for it.

clambake
06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Then I got married....that's was dumb.

:lol

clambake
06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Oh, but eventually, you may have to ask the question about more money/responsibility.....for the most part, an employer isn't gonna give it it you if you don't ask for it.

this. but not yet.

mavs>spurs
06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
what type of job is this, just curious

MannyIsGod
06-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Dude you can't even begin to make shit at a work when you've been there 3 months. Do your work, STFU, and don't worry about what other people make for a couple of years. If by that time you still feel you're getting the shaft find a new job.

I honestly can't even imagine trying to get a raise or bringing things like up at 3 months. Your boss sounds like a fucking moron, TBH. I'm not sure if you have an HR dept, but I'm pretty sure they don't want him telling you shit about arrangements with another coworker.

MannyIsGod
06-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Dude you can't even begin to make shit at a work when you've been there 3 months. Do your work, STFU, and don't worry about what other people make for a couple of years. If by that time you still feel you're getting the shaft find a new job.

I honestly can't even imagine trying to get a raise or bringing things like up at 3 months. Your boss sounds like a fucking moron, TBH. I'm not sure if you have an HR dept, but I'm pretty sure they don't want him telling you shit about arrangements with another coworker.

clambake
06-13-2012, 08:27 PM

this is nothing, manny. did you see the Viva workplace thread?

blow you away!!!!!!